HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would Montreal Welcome the Expos Back

Old
03-28-2014, 07:32 AM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
This is true - I know because I was there and I remember it clearly. The buzz around town was growing with every game and going to see the Expos was becoming 'cool' again. The atmosphere at the Big Owe was improving every day and the team kept winning. As a huge Expos fan at the time, I was SOOOO excited about it all, which led to a HUUUGE disappointment and lots of anger towards Bud Selig and MLB when the plug got pulled on the season. I lost my love for baseball that year, and while I still watched the Expos for the next 10 years it was difficult to watch them suffer a slow painful death. Just recently have I started to watch some MLB again, having gone to Fenway a few times to see the Red Sox.
Boy, you have summed it up exactly how I felt also...I too, have gone down to Fenway recently, and can only start watching some MLB just now...losing the Expos was devastating to me...the strike in 1994 hurt because we played so well, and then as you said, a slow and painful death had started...Bud Selig was the cancer...Jeffrey Loria and he make the devil look like a decent guy....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 07:54 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Boy, you have summed it up exactly how I felt also...I too, have gone down to Fenway recently, and can only start watching some MLB just now...losing the Expos was devastating to me...the strike in 1994 hurt because we played so well, and then as you said, a slow and painful death had started...Bud Selig was the cancer...Jeffrey Loria and he make the devil look like a decent guy....
Bronfman sold the team in 1990 was start of fall. As without him never been the Expos in first place(It was touch and go back in '69 before he came on board). The Brochu led consortium group was a joke as they had no money. There was no money around back in '90s, as Quebec was going through internal strife. Parizeau was trying for separation, hurting Quebec's economy and dipping the Canadian dollar. Loria bought team for peanuts, literally sabotaged fan base, then flipped team to other owners for 120 million. Expos were done 5 years before they left.

If still be Expos today. With revenue sharing team would be profitable. Astros got 47 million in revenue sharing last year, Expos would go north of that. Even if they played in the Big Owe.

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

case in point of the Expos getting royally screwed was back in 2003 (I think), they were somehow in the thick of things for a playoff spot late in the season, and when the GM asked MLB (who were handling the team at that point) for the $$ to bring players up from the minors when the rosters expanded in September (allows players to rest up a little, and platoon minor league players playing daily all year, rather than bench players, etc). And MLB said no....

Big Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 09:26 AM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue* View Post
Right.

Fans just were really turned off by the strike, and eventually by the Loria ownership who brought this franchise to the ground. They did not even had broadcasting contracts with the radio and tv stations that used to air the games for decades.
The MLB "ownership" and split schedule with Puerto Rico killed the team. Hiw coud fans be attracted by such a product ?

And politics in Quebec had nothing to do with that. Expos have the best attendance under PQ governments.
politics certainly had a lot to do with what happened with the Expos. I wish it wasn't the case...

Montreal was the biggest city in Canada until the late 70s, but before that there had already been an exodus of people from Montreal to Toronto, and with them many businesses and financial institutions. The kind of institutions that would have been able to step in and purchase the Expos in the 90s when they were sold.

Check out the documentary The Rise and Fall of English Montreal

Old
03-28-2014, 09:28 AM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

hey guys, just wondering if anyone can suggest a place to park close to a metro station in the west, to get to the game this Saturday? I was thinking the parking lot at the Walmart near the Namur metro stop, but any suggestions? Coming in from Onterrible for the game

Merci!

Old
03-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
spos didn't have revenue sharing, a 70 cent dollar, horrible ownership. put a stadium more central, of course the ****ing city can support a franchise. NO. DOUBT

if KC, Pittsburgh, etc have franchises, Montreal should have a franchise again

The Braves drew horribly for years, and then after being spoiled with multiple division championships, they couldn't sell out again. Check the Blue jays attendance previous to last year --they were drawing around 18-20K
In the Jays case, Rogers are the richest owners in baseball. They're even richer than the Steinbrenners. People can ***** and complain about attendance and all that nonsense but think about the situation. Rogers owns the team, they have them showing on their tv and radio stations..The only way the Jays would ever move is if Rogers decided to move them. Rogers paid almost nothing for the stadium as well. A lot of people have this misconception that Rogers loses money owning the team. Sure the team loses money every year, but Rogers gets back their money and a ton more based on viewership, ad sales in their building, selling their own products in the stadium where they don't have to pay a dime to do. Its a very sweet situation for them. They paid a measly 25 million dollars for the stadium, that is a ridiculously low amount. Rogers makes a **** load of money in other areas of their company from owning the team.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:14 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
case in point of the Expos getting royally screwed was back in 2003 (I think), they were somehow in the thick of things for a playoff spot late in the season, and when the GM asked MLB (who were handling the team at that point) for the $$ to bring players up from the minors when the rosters expanded in September (allows players to rest up a little, and platoon minor league players playing daily all year, rather than bench players, etc). And MLB said no....
MLB = Selig...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:23 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Great to get a taste of baseball in Montreal again. But see no return of MLB in near future. If its 15-20 years from now, lot more possible. Something like Nordiques, need a new stadium and political landscape of province needs solidified. As MLB Owners won't go back in same situation they left in
Going to climb out on a limb here:

1. Growing up in 70's and eighties, French and English Montrealers loved the Expos. Crowds at Jarry park were more french than english. And the French knew baseball very well, as the Royals played in Montreal for years.

2. I played a high grade of baseball as a kid, and believe me, there were a **** load of good french minor league ball players in the seventies and eighties. Really good players.

Conclusion:

Quebec city has no interest in baseball. Montreal, french and english, does, or did.

The loss of the expos was bad ownership, bad luck with strikes, and also, no support from Quebec City. They have no clue at all up there. None.

bsl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:26 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
We still have a long way to go before getting a team back, but I'm kind of hoping the Rays keep sucking and fans don't go to games. That team would probably be our best bet

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 11:07 AM
KrejciMVP

Quote:
hey guys, just wondering if anyone can suggest a place to park close to a metro station in the west, to get to the game this Saturday? I was thinking the parking lot at the Walmart near the Namur metro stop, but any suggestions? Coming in from Onterrible for the game

Merci!
I heard this as well

if you go to the movies next to the big O....as long as you go buy a movie ticket parking is free...you can buy a childrens ticket and that would suffice

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:

Merci!
Or you can keep driving on the 40 all the way to Anjou. It's probably 5 minutes more but you will be much closer and already on the green line. You can park at Place Versaille. Closes at 5, there will be plenty of parking

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Eagle Eye Cherry
guitar player

is anyone going to Blue Jays/Mets game at Olympic Stadium?

Eagle Eye Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Or you can keep driving on the 40 all the way to Anjou. It's probably 5 minutes more but you will be much closer and already on the green line. You can park at Place Versaille. Closes at 5, there will be plenty of parking
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
I heard this as well

if you go to the movies next to the big O....as long as you go buy a movie ticket parking is free...you can buy a childrens ticket and that would suffice

Thanks guys! I'm just trying to avoid the headache that will be parking at the Big O, given that its been almost 10 years since they've had baseball, and how bad I remember things being at the last Expos game there.... use to love driving to expos games after work from Ottawa...

Old
03-28-2014, 12:06 PM
SpeedyPotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy T View Post
is anyone going to Blue Jays/Mets game at Olympic Stadium?
Going to both actually!! Can't wait!!! I couldn't give more a **** about the Jays or Mets, I'm there because I always thought montreal deserved better, we were treated like **** by management and the MLB.

SpeedyPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 12:16 PM
NelloMello

...and what if it snows this week-end, what than?

NelloMello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Baseball. Over 80k tickets sold for this weekend. Friends I haven't seen in a long while will be there tonight. Bringing people together.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

The Expos logo is on the field at the Big O.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

does the city run the Big O?

Old
03-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
politics certainly had a lot to do with what happened with the Expos. I wish it wasn't the case...

Montreal was the biggest city in Canada until the late 70s, but before that there had already been an exodus of people from Montreal to Toronto, and with them many businesses and financial institutions. The kind of institutions that would have been able to step in and purchase the Expos in the 90s when they were sold.

Check out the documentary The Rise and Fall of English Montreal
Toronto should have a giant statue of Rene Levesque on the steps of city hall. He did more for that city than any Torontonian ever could.

As for the Expos... yep, a shame they aren't still around. Baseball was bigger with the kids I grew up with than even hockey was for a while. Carter, Dawson, Raines.... damn that was a good team. Just always had some bad break to derail things. If ever there was a star crossed franchise, that was it.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 03:54 PM
KrejciMVP

classic Pedro Martinez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDA85mcVSxU

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
Tss... I'd give that 8/10 classless Pedros.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Toronto should have a giant statue of Rene Levesque on the steps of city hall. He did more for that city than any Torontonian ever could.

As for the Expos... yep, a shame they aren't still around. Baseball was bigger with the kids I grew up with than even hockey was for a while. Carter, Dawson, Raines.... damn that was a good team. Just always had some bad break to derail things. If ever there was a star crossed franchise, that was it.
to be honest, the '94 strike hurt baseball all over Canada.
Vancouver's Triple A team left in 1999
Lynx left in 2007, but the issues with the expos certainly filtered down
Calgary's left in 2002
Edmonton left in 2004

Toronto games wasn't as bad, but still had some dark periods with lacklustre teams

Old
03-28-2014, 04:44 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Going to climb out on a limb here:

1. Growing up in 70's and eighties, French and English Montrealers loved the Expos. Crowds at Jarry park were more french than english. And the French knew baseball very well, as the Royals played in Montreal for years.

2. I played a high grade of baseball as a kid, and believe me, there were a **** load of good french minor league ball players in the seventies and eighties. Really good players.

Conclusion:

Quebec city has no interest in baseball. Montreal, french and english, does, or did.

The loss of the expos was bad ownership, bad luck with strikes, and also, no support from Quebec City. They have no clue at all up there. None.
If you mean the pols, then maybe yes. If you mean the city, then no. The Capitales are basically keeping the Can-Am League afloat at this point.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 04:48 PM
walsy37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
The Expos logo is on the field at the Big O.
Picture?

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 04:48 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Just watched a Doc about the History of the Expos on RDS 2. It was awesome. So many guys came off looking like stars in this thing. Is it just me or The Expos and baseball players from MLB had a bigger mystic to us Quebecers/Montrealers than NHL players? Especially in the beginning they came off looking like these giants.
The 69 Expos were a Quebec cultural phenomenon.

They drew 1.6 million. That sounds like peanuts today but the San Diego Padres were born the same year. they had the same record (52-110), substantial baseball history (Ted Williams' home town!), and a new stadium that outshine anything the Expos ever played in.

They drew 547,000.

That 1969 attendance from the Expos was the best of any expansion or relocated team from 1953-1977 (the first Blue Jays team), with the exception of the 1966 Braves. Who had Eddie Mathews and Henry Aaron, two no-doubt Hall of Famers, and only finished a few games off the pennant.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote