HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2014, 12:29 PM
  #176
Quartz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Please forgive me.
Just cannot express myself properly.

I was about to have an alternatives. Online shop says that may be there is nothing what I want. So May be I need to order another sizes or even reebok. So, actually yes, I just need to wait till I get some.


Last edited by Quartz: 03-05-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 03:18 PM
  #177
Quartz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
As far as I understand Nexus,CCM,Reebok = are those with high volume to cover my arch.
And as I understand you, pencil test is the good sign for fit. I'm thinking what if size and width would be fine, but fail in pencil test. will it be a problem when I get on the ice? Thats just like lottery then.

Quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:51 AM
  #178
Stickchecked
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 286
vCash: 500
Out of curiosity, does anyone anywhere have a setup where one can try out skates at a rink before buying? (For a fee, of course) With the importance of skate fit, it sounds like it could be a good little event / business in the right market(s).

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 12:29 PM
  #179
moreoutdoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Coast CA
Country: United States
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
I have precisely measured my feet. They look the same. No visible change in length or width. I can post some photos if it helps.
Im very upset with 2 pairs of skates (huge amount of money), none of them work for me.
I had Bauer Vapor X50 Sr. size 6EE. One season they were perfect, then right heel start to lift. I thought thats because of the crack on a boot. I got APX and after very short time heel starts to lift again.
And its really change the game. Im skating like cripple now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
some photos
some thoughts
proper fit/closure over the instep does a lot of the heavy lifting in heel-holdown, along with proper width at the forefoot which restricts the foot from sliding forward - too wide up front (regardless of overall length) and the foot slides slightly forward, heel can lift.
The friction between your sock and the new/fresh skate liner helps for some heel hold-down - as the liner wears in and gets a bit smoother, less friction, so more opportunity for heel lift.

From your pics which can;t tell the whole story, the instep/arch doesn't seem 'low', so snug and even lacing pressure over the whole instep will help keep the heel down - but too wide a forefoot width and the foot may still slide forward...

L-pad may also take up some of that small amount of lift. However L-pad placement is critical and best done by some one who knows what they are doing - the outside and inside of the foot is different for placement position.

Lacing at the 'bend' is critical - too tight, get bite - too loose, even worse, heel lift.
Bend location is elemental - determines if the boot volume fits your foot.

From your pic - that right foot; now we all have a slight visual bump at the heel, but yours seems a bit more - possible onset of Haglund"s ??? google haglund's deformity and read up...

best of success in addressing your issues...

moreoutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 04:33 PM
  #180
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
Out of curiosity, does anyone anywhere have a setup where one can try out skates at a rink before buying? (For a fee, of course) With the importance of skate fit, it sounds like it could be a good little event / business in the right market(s).
It's a good idea in principal, but the reality is that ice time is terribly expensive and not worth it given that trying skates on as it is now works. Imagine, you'd have to prep the skate as a retailer for that, rent the ice, sacrifice several pairs as 'demo' skates and that still doesn't guarantee a sale. It's not worth the effort and it takes too long.

I think there are some bigger stores that have a little pad of artificial ice in the skate area, that could be more feasible.

On the manufacturer side though, this is a different story, the big brands routinely have demo days where they bring trailers full of gear for people (mostly kids on rep teams and organizations) to try out as part of a larger brand event.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 05:02 PM
  #181
beeker16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyMe View Post
My thoughts exactly...
Planned on spending 200, tried vapors(too narrow toebox), supremes(too wide) grafs (decent fit-QC), rbz (too deep)....
Had the one.7's on, but really didn't want to spend 359 on a skate that worried me....I didn't care that the RS was 399 once I tried them on!

I had similar experiences with the Bauers.
You said the One.7 was too wide on you. At what area specifically?

I'm looking at the One.6 as the Vapors feel too narrow and tight on the outer side of my foot right before the toes. The Supremes feel way better but I worry my ankle may not stay in place enough with them as they're overly comfortable if that makes sense.

beeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 05:12 PM
  #182
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker16 View Post
I had similar experiences with the Bauers.
You said the One.7 was too wide on you. At what area specifically?

I'm looking at the One.6 as the Vapors feel too narrow and tight on the outer side of my foot right before the toes. The Supremes feel way better but I worry my ankle may not stay in place enough with them as they're overly comfortable if that makes sense.
Midfoot & forefoot are wider. Heel is deeper & rounder so for some, that may feel wider.

Are you worrying that your heel might lift?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 07:08 PM
  #183
beeker16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Midfoot & forefoot are wider. Heel is deeper & rounder so for some, that may feel wider.

Are you worrying that your heel might lift?
I'm still leaning toward the Supremes, but want to try the RBZs also.
As for heel lift, a combination of that and feeling the heel has enough area to slide side to side in is what I want to avoid. Part of that is still technique - strengthening my ankles and maintaining form, but I'll take any advantage I can get to help maintain it.

beeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 07:52 PM
  #184
SillyMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ma.
Country: United States
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker16 View Post
I had similar experiences with the Bauers.
You said the One.7 was too wide on you. At what area specifically?

I'm looking at the One.6 as the Vapors feel too narrow and tight on the outer side of my foot right before the toes. The Supremes feel way better but I worry my ankle may not stay in place enough with them as they're overly comfortable if that makes sense.
Bauer must sell a ton of " E" in Vapors, cuz almost everyone I know says they are narrow in that same spot you mentioned....how do they sell that many skates, I do not have wide feet!
Almost the entire Supreme felt a little too roomy, mostly the mid/fore foot, toebox felt a bit big.
I wasn't real confident that a bake was gonna make the skate fit like I wanted it to, and should.

Not sure what worried about "overly comfortable" means, if the skate fits you snug, and it's comfortable, what is the issue exactly, is it a bit loose in the ankle area?

SillyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 04:56 PM
  #185
Quartz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
I've tried Makos 6EE Sr - fi was good, but pencil test failed.
RBK 6.5D Sr - fit is fine, but pencil test failed.
CCM Crazy light 7EE - lot of space in front, realy crazy ancle support. Huge pads.

Going to order Graf ultra G75 in sizes 6EE and 6D. may be it would help

Quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 04:05 AM
  #186
Quartz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreoutdoor View Post
some thoughts
proper fit/closure over the instep does a lot of the heavy lifting in heel-holdown, along with proper width at the forefoot which restricts the foot from sliding forward - too wide up front (regardless of overall length) and the foot slides slightly forward, heel can lift.
The friction between your sock and the new/fresh skate liner helps for some heel hold-down - as the liner wears in and gets a bit smoother, less friction, so more opportunity for heel lift.

From your pics which can;t tell the whole story, the instep/arch doesn't seem 'low', so snug and even lacing pressure over the whole instep will help keep the heel down - but too wide a forefoot width and the foot may still slide forward...

L-pad may also take up some of that small amount of lift. However L-pad placement is critical and best done by some one who knows what they are doing - the outside and inside of the foot is different for placement position.

Lacing at the 'bend' is critical - too tight, get bite - too loose, even worse, heel lift.
Bend location is elemental - determines if the boot volume fits your foot.

From your pic - that right foot; now we all have a slight visual bump at the heel, but yours seems a bit more - possible onset of Haglund"s ??? google haglund's deformity and read up...

best of success in addressing your issues...
Hi
Thank you for your helpfull thoughts.
I have some bumps on inner side of the arch. Those bumps are different. And this is why (I guess) everything is fine with left foot and right foot slides.
I've visited orthopedist. They gave me a few of those L-pads - they are aweful. Cannot feel the edge.

The "Haglund's" are something what I've got just a few years ago when I got RBK 6K (Size 6D SR) rollerskates. Played one summer in those and got bumps. Actually now I'm having the same problem with RBK rollerskates as well (heel lift). Pumping does not really help.

Quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 12:28 AM
  #187
jhr1986
Registered User
 
jhr1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: DFWish
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeNoctem View Post
This isn't a reply to anyone here specifically but if you are a beginner player, do not buy top end skates. The stiffness is going to impair your agility significantly. The stiffer the boot, the more you'll have to bend your knees and aggressively hit your edges. It drives me crazy when I see novices doing this and it makes their outside edge control go from bad to non-existent.
I did read through the first posts and got a lot of good info but I still have a question and it relates exactly to the post I quoted above.

I'm a total noob, probably skated twice in my life, and that was ~15 years ago in middle school. I want to learn to skate and I understand I don't want to get gear that is "too good" for my ability level. That being said, I don't want to buy crap either. I'm looking at something along the lines of a Supreme 170/One.7, RBZ 80, 16K - is that a good place to start for a beginner?

If it matters I'm 180lbs and in decent shape.

jhr1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 12:31 AM
  #188
CarpeNoctem
I Pity #26
 
CarpeNoctem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: In The Night
Posts: 2,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhr1986 View Post
I did read through the first posts and got a lot of good info but I still have a question and it relates exactly to the post I quoted above.

I'm a total noob, probably skated twice in my life, and that was ~15 years ago in middle school. I want to learn to skate and I understand I don't want to get gear that is "too good" for my ability level. That being said, I don't want to buy crap either. I'm looking at something along the lines of a Supreme 170/One.7, RBZ 80, 16K - is that a good place to start for a beginner?

If it matters I'm 180lbs and in decent shape.
My hunch is that you'll want to start with something a little bit more pliable. Not sure if that level will hurt you but it might not be optimal. Less stiff skate= easier agility movements

CarpeNoctem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 12:38 AM
  #189
jhr1986
Registered User
 
jhr1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: DFWish
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeNoctem View Post
My hunch is that you'll want to start with something a little bit more pliable. Not sure if that level will hurt you but it might not be optimal. Less stiff skate= easier agility movements
Thanks for the input; so you think maybe one level down like a One.6 or RBZ 60/70 level or should I go for the cheapest one that fits well and plan to upgrade after a few months?

jhr1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 08:51 AM
  #190
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhr1986 View Post
Thanks for the input; so you think maybe one level down like a One.6 or RBZ 60/70 level or should I go for the cheapest one that fits well and plan to upgrade after a few months?
It wouldn't be a bad idea to even go to one more step down, like a One.4, RBZ60. See which level of skate feels better when you try them on. No need to go to One.7, RBZ80.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 03:41 PM
  #191
jhr1986
Registered User
 
jhr1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: DFWish
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
It wouldn't be a bad idea to even go to one more step down, like a One.4, RBZ60. See which level of skate feels better when you try them on. No need to go to One.7, RBZ80.
Thanks for the help you two, I appreciate it. In my noobness I assumed skates would be like hiking boots in that the more money you spend the better they are for your feet, regardless of experience level. Looks like I'll be looking at the under $150 range.

jhr1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 04:54 PM
  #192
moreoutdoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Coast CA
Country: United States
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhr1986 View Post
Thanks for the help you two, I appreciate it. In my noobness I assumed skates would be like hiking boots in that the more money you spend the better they are for your feet, regardless of experience level. Looks like I'll be looking at the under $150 range.
you might consider staying with skates which are heat-moldable. This makes a big difference, not just in comfort, but also edge control, overall performance, and having a removeable runner is also a nice feature and consideration, although not a deal breaker on a good skate/good price.

moreoutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 03:13 AM
  #193
Quartz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
vCash: 500

Quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 08:02 PM
  #194
hockeyisforeveryone
Registered User
 
hockeyisforeveryone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,303
vCash: 420
Quartz- I had a few thoughts looking at your feet in the other 2 photos.
Those are some solid, manly feet!

In the pic with skates notice the boot starting to bulge out as the laces travel to the top of the ankle? Wouldn't this be a case of not enough volume?

Seriously your foot does not look like a "vapor" type of foot. I wear a 6EE in Vapor. My foot is very thin/bony, as is my body type. I had to go wider because I am well beyond my teens and my foot has widened a lot.

I would also question the fit of supremes based on what I see...your feet may just be too much. Have you tried the NEXUS line? A buddy of mine has a very meaty foot like yours and has broken his ankles as well. Your foot looks like a NEXUS fit to me.

I've read other comments about Graf skates being designed for a grown mans foot. Some posters felt like many of the other brands seemed made for children/teenagers feet and Graf was their only possibility.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 02:50 AM
  #195
Quartz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
Quartz- I had a few thoughts looking at your feet in the other 2 photos.
Those are some solid, manly feet!

In the pic with skates notice the boot starting to bulge out as the laces travel to the top of the ankle? Wouldn't this be a case of not enough volume?

Seriously your foot does not look like a "vapor" type of foot. I wear a 6EE in Vapor. My foot is very thin/bony, as is my body type. I had to go wider because I am well beyond my teens and my foot has widened a lot.

I would also question the fit of supremes based on what I see...your feet may just be too much. Have you tried the NEXUS line? A buddy of mine has a very meaty foot like yours and has broken his ankles as well. Your foot looks like a NEXUS fit to me.

I've read other comments about Graf skates being designed for a grown mans foot. Some posters felt like many of the other brands seemed made for children/teenagers feet and Graf was their only possibility.
Thank you.

My feet are just like what you said.

Yes, apx and nxg, what I have, are not bulky enough for my arch volume.
I got those skates because of stiffness, currently nothing like bauer can make skates so good and stable (imho).

And that's why I'm a bit sceptic about stiffnes and responsivness of the Nexus. Anyway I've ordered a 6D size online. Let's hope.

All Grafs from people around are very soft compare to bauer. I'm afraid that it could be a stepdown in performance for me if I would go soft boot.

I have two pairs of skates and noone is buying them. that's pity.

Quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 02:55 AM
  #196
Quartz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
vCash: 500







Quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 11:35 AM
  #197
zeeto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Johnson City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
It wouldn't be a bad idea to even go to one more step down, like a One.4, RBZ60. See which level of skate feels better when you try them on. No need to go to One.7, RBZ80.
I had a question on going the other way. I started playing about 2 years ago, after a long layoff, in a pair of 6k's and was thinking of stepping up to the RS/18k level. Am I going to notice a huge difference in stiffness in the jump? Would that possibly be too big of a jump?

I'm going to actually get fitted this time instead of doing it myself, online, so I'll try on as many skates as I can either way.

zeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 03:15 PM
  #198
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,562
vCash: 500
Nah that's actually a nice jump that I think you will immediately notice the benefits from. It's not like a jump to a composite based boot like an APX2 or TotalOne NXG. However, I would recommend being open to multiple bakes to get the flexibility tuned. Whether or not you need/want it is up to you.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 10:31 PM
  #199
zeeto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Johnson City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Nah that's actually a nice jump that I think you will immediately notice the benefits from. It's not like a jump to a composite based boot like an APX2 or TotalOne NXG. However, I would recommend being open to multiple bakes to get the flexibility tuned. Whether or not you need/want it is up to you.
Great, thanks for the response. I'm definitely open to whatever gives me the best fit.

zeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 10:42 PM
  #200
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,562
vCash: 500
No problem.

Also, to my readers: Writeups on the Reebok Ribcor line coming soon, with the CCM Tacks, new Bauer Supreme & new Bauer Nexus lines coming soon as well when they are released.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.