HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Got to meet Nelson, Lee, and Hickey yesterday!

Old
03-23-2014, 11:20 PM
Chairman Wang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Don't diss women's hockey. Minnesota-Wisconsin was the first game of the night and it actually was one of the best hockey games I've ever seen.
I wasn't trying to put down women's hockey... But after rereading my post I can see how it was.

Just to clarify, when I said it must have been a great experience... I truly meant the hockey event. not meeting the players so much.

I have followed women's sports in the past (soccer and hockey). In fact, this Olympics I didn't watch a minute of men's hockey but did watch all of the women's games.

Finally, my intention was a cheap joke at Charles Wang not capable or interested in attaining professional NHL quality players or management. Karma, I suppose... I took a cheap shot at someone else and ended up getting egg on my face. Nevertheless, apologies to anyone who took offense.

Chairman Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Centrefold
Rookie User

Quote:

(Lee, Hickey, me, Nelson)

Sorry it's a huge picture.

Quinnipiac is hosting the Women's Frozen Four and they attended. I actually recognized Thomas Hickey of all people then saw he was with Nelson and Lee. Of course, I was the only one in the building to recognize them. Lee is a really nice guy. Hickey was a little shy but still very friendly, as was Nelson.

Pretty cool seeing these guys in my neck of the woods of all places.
Do you go to the mens games often? I was able to catch a few this season and I thought they had some solid players. Do you think any have a chance to sign with an AHL team like Michael Dalhuisen did last season with the Sound Tigers or even and NHL club?

Centrefold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 01:45 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centrefold View Post
Do you go to the mens games often? I was able to catch a few this season and I thought they had some solid players. Do you think any have a chance to sign with an AHL team like Michael Dalhuisen did last season with the Sound Tigers or even and NHL club?
I go to every men's game. No, I don't think there are any seniors that the Islanders could sign like they did with Dalhuisen. Maybe next year they'll offer something to Bryce Van Brabant. The guy is tougher than Lucic (not nearly as good offensively but has been money on a poor PP). Zach Tolkinen is a big RHD that's graduating, but I don't think he's good enough for the NHL. He went to the Devils' prospect camp last season.

If Sam Anas (my avatar) keeps up what he's been doing this season, he's going to be the most sought after college prospect come his senior year. He's tiny but the kid can snipe like you've never seen. Everything is top-shelf, and he's damn good at it. He's got NHL offensive instincts, but he's gotta bulk up if he wants to make it professionally.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Centrefold
Rookie User

Quote:
I go to every men's game. No, I don't think there are any seniors that the Islanders could sign like they did with Dalhuisen. Maybe next year they'll offer something to Bryce Van Brabant. The guy is tougher than Lucic (not nearly as good offensively but has been money on a poor PP). Zach Tolkinen is a big RHD that's graduating, but I don't think he's good enough for the NHL. He went to the Devils' prospect camp last season.

If Sam Anas (my avatar) keeps up what he's been doing this season, he's going to be the most sought after college prospect come his senior year. He's tiny but the kid can snipe like you've never seen. Everything is top-shelf, and he's damn good at it. He's got NHL offensive instincts, but he's gotta bulk up if he wants to make it professionally.
When I saw them play, Anas definitely stood out. He was always around the puck in the offensive zone, but like you said he definitely has to bulk up. I just checked their website and he's leading the team in points and goals as a freshman.

As for Van Brabant and Tolkinen, both raised my eyebrows mostly due to their size. With the talent coming through the pipeline on defense, I doubt the Islanders have any interest in adding Tolkinen. With that said, I think Van Brabant would be a nice addition next year as some sort of a 'hybird-goon'.

Also, what are your thoughts on Devon Toews and Dan Federico?

Old
03-25-2014, 01:59 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centrefold View Post
When I saw them play, Anas definitely stood out. He was always around the puck in the offensive zone, but like you said he definitely has to bulk up. I just checked their website and he's leading the team in points and goals as a freshman.

As for Van Brabant and Tolkinen, both raised my eyebrows mostly due to their size. With the talent coming through the pipeline on defense, I doubt the Islanders have any interest in adding Tolkinen. With that said, I think Van Brabant would be a nice addition next year as some sort of a 'hybird-goon'.

Also, what are your thoughts on Devon Toews and Dan Federico?
Federico is considered the best defensive defenseman in college. Great positionally, but only has okay offensive instincts. He'll get a shot somewhere, but he's only a junior now.

Devon Toews had a great start offensively, then cooled off, now I think he's more back on track. He's only a freshman, he'll need at least next year to show what he's really got.

EDIT: I think I got Toews and Derek Smith mixed up. Toews is a good defenseman, but like I said, I'd give him another year before he can really be evaluated. Freshmen defensemen are tough to give a scouting report on.

Also welcome to HF!

Last edited by SLAPSHOT723: 03-25-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old
03-25-2014, 03:17 PM
Centrefold
Rookie User

Quote:
Federico is considered the best defensive defenseman in college. Great positionally, but only has okay offensive instincts. He'll get a shot somewhere, but he's only a junior now.

Devon Toews had a great start offensively, then cooled off, now I think he's more back on track. He's only a freshman, he'll need at least next year to show what he's really got.

EDIT: I think I got Toews and Derek Smith mixed up. Toews is a good defenseman, but like I said, I'd give him another year before he can really be evaluated. Freshmen defensemen are tough to give a scouting report on.

Also welcome to HF!
Thanks for your comments, I'm big fan of Federico because of his play in his zone and thought Teows' point totals were intriguing for a freshman.

Also thanks for the warm welcome.

Old
03-27-2014, 03:12 PM
edmontonislesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
That's awesome!!!
Thanks for sharing the photo and the story.

Nice that the three of them enjoy hanging out together. Says something about team unity, which I've viewed as an Islanders strength in recent years.

edmontonislesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2014, 10:57 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Sorry for venting but QU's season ended in pretty horrible fashion last night and I'm sad Four years of some great hockey. When the Islanders were disappointing me Quinnipiac came through. So weird that I went to my last men's hockey game as a student.