HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Erskine

Old
02-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzSawLouie View Post
Do you guys think McPhee values him as highly as many of you? I was hoping Shero could get him for a fourth rounder or so, but it sure doesn't sound like it from what you guys are saying.
It's impossible to know for sure. At the beginning of the year, I think GMGM and the coaching staff were overly concerned about his skating/positioning. Once he was called up, though, he put those concerns to rest and made up for it by salvaging Eminger's level of play and generally making sound decisions. (He has been beaten once or twice by speedy guys but only a couple of times, not to the extent where it's a concern.)

I could see instances where GMGM would trade Erskine but I'd wager that it's going to take more than a 4th round pick. Maybe he would be more expendable if Eminger and Green were having blazing seasons full of progress but he's a valuable cog in their defense at the moment. He's done nothing to fall out of good graces with the coaching staff and the organization based on his level of play and commitment so it's going to take an offer which they can't pass up. I expect him to stay and have a strong finish to the year as he fights for a roster spot in next year's lineup.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
Compared to whom?

The only reason Eminger isn't being played is because he is on the trade block.
That really doesn't make sense to me. Eminger is not the type of player who other teams wouldn't want to scout if they are going to trade for him. Its not like he is established in the NHL and everyone knows exactly what he brings to the table.

I would think if the Caps really wanted to up his trade value they would play him, sitting him in the press box is doing nothing but reduce his trade value.

And why so this now? I mean if they are looking to trade him why would they feel the need to do it now so badly that they so are afraid of him getting injured that they have to hold him out of the lineup? Its not like they don't hold his rights past this season.

It just doesn't make sense to me that the reason they are holding him out is because they are trying to trade him, not saying it isn't the case. But it doesn't add up to me.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:36 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
That really doesn't make sense to me. Eminger is not the type of player who other teams wouldn't want to scout if they are going to trade for him. Its not like he is established in the NHL and everyone knows exactly what he brings to the table.

I would think if the Caps really wanted to up his trade value they would play him, sitting him in the press box is doing nothing but reduce his trade value.

And why so this now? I mean if they are looking to trade him why would they feel the need to do it now so badly that they so are afraid of him getting injured that they have to hold him out of the lineup? Its not like they don't hold his rights past this season.

It just doesn't make sense to me that the reason they are holding him out is because they are trying to trade him, not saying it isn't the case. But it doesn't add up to me.

It makes sense if a deal was close to being completed and Eminger was held out at the request of the other team ….. though I would expect that to only last a game, two at the most.

I suppose there is the outside chance that Heward is being showcased …. A team like Detroit might want a depth guy for a playoff push. With Forsberg going to Nashville, the other Western teams have to make moves to keep pace.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by heshootshescores View Post
I think he does cause of what I posted earlier. But also GMGM and Hanlon have mentioned that they were surpirsed at how good he is positionally and how his poke check (combo of timing, quickness, and reach) is near the top of the league. OT this skill is something I hope that Shultz spends time learning from Erskine and what would make him more valuable if he can provide some mentorship.
How great would it be if Schultz learned to play physical like Erskine.

Quote:
Me too .... I'm not liking the Pothier-Schultz pairing at all.
I like the idea of those two together, however so far it hasn't been as good as I thought it would be. I would like to see Pothier and Erskine play more together.

Old
02-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
It makes sense if a deal was close to being completed and Eminger was held out at the request of the other team ….. though I would expect that to only last a game, two at the most.

I suppose there is the outside chance that Heward is being showcased …. A team like Detroit might want a depth guy for a playoff push. With Forsberg going to Nashville, the other Western teams have to make moves to keep pace.
That would make some sense, but that happens if a deal was pretty much already agreed on. Yea he has only been held out of 2 games, but its been 10 days (counting today). That is a long time for a deal not to get finished if you are far enough along to scratch a player.

Not to mention I don't get how a 23 year old defensman in his 2nd full season who has been inconsistent in those two years and has no playoff experience would be a player teams would target at the trade deadline.

Showcasing Heward would make sense, but who would want Heward

Old
02-20-2007, 02:58 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
How great would it be if Schultz learned to play physical like Erskine.
Weight room!!! He needs to go there first before he attempts to be physical. However big he may become though, it may not be in his nature. OT Someone mentioned boxing classes and i agree nothing brings out natural agression more than getting smacked around for 3 rounds.

That being said I think Jeff does a good job engulfing players along the boards. That's a measure of physicality that's important as a big hit. But I'd like to see a Jerky style hit from Jeff at least once! (minus the holding, well heck, I'd take the holding just to see it once from him)

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:58 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
That would make some sense, but that happens if a deal was pretty much already agreed on. Yea he has only been held out of 2 games, but its been 10 days (counting today). That is a long time for a deal not to get finished if you are far enough along to scratch a player.

Not to mention I don't get how a 23 year old defensman in his 2nd full season who has been inconsistent in those two years and has no playoff experience would be a player teams would target at the trade deadline.

Showcasing Heward would make sense, but who would want Heward
How do you get ten days? If you start counting from the Tampa game (the first one where Eminger was scratched) it's only six days (which seems a bit excessive) and two games (three if Emigner misses tonight’s game against Montreal).

I still do not see the value/wisdom of trading Eminger now (as opposed to the off-season) unless he’s part of a package that brings back a play making center or a veteran NHL-ready defenseman who can play top pair minutes.

I think a team would seriously consider Heward for depth, especially if they’re pushing against the cap. With the rate defensemen have gone down, it makes sense to carry seven/eight on your roster to start the playoffs.

Quote:
Weight room!!! He needs to go there first before he attempts to be physical. However big he may become though, it may not be in his nature. OT Someone mentioned boxing classes and i agree nothing brings out natural agression more than getting smacked around for 3 rounds.

That being said I think Jeff does a good job engulfing players along the boards. That's a measure of physicality that's important as a big hit. But I'd like to see a Jerky style hit from Jeff at least once! (minus the holding, well heck, I'd take the holding just to see it once from him)
Schultz does need to fill out his frame. However, I do not want him bulking up so much that he loses his mobility.

Old
02-20-2007, 03:02 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Yea he has only been held out of 2 games, but its been 10 days (counting today). That is a long time for a deal not to get finished if you are far enough along to scratch a player.
I'm surprised Tarik hasn't put more in print about this situation. It's a simple yes or no question to management. He's being sat for this or that. Tarik seemed to just let it go after saying how pissed Steve was.

The conspiracy theory in me thinks that maybe GMGM gave Tarik the "wink" and said, "the situation will be resolved soon"

Old
02-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
How do you get ten days? If you start counting from the Tampa game (the first one where Eminger was scratched) it's only six days (which seems a bit excessive) and two games (three if Emigner misses tonight’s game against Montreal).
I should have said 6, i was looking at his last game played on the 10th and today being the 20th (ten days).

But you are right, its only been 6 days since he was actually scratched. But my point stands that it is still a good amount of time to finish up a deal.

Old
02-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Schultz does need to fill out his frame. However, I do not want him bulking up so much that he loses his mobility.
I think Schultz can add a good amount of muscle before he starts having to worry about losing his mobility.

Old
02-20-2007, 03:12 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
I should have said 6, i was looking at his last game played on the 10th and today being the 20th (ten days).

But you are right, its only been 6 days since he was actually scratched. But my point stands that it is still a good amount of time to finish up a deal.
Thanks for the clarification … I was a wee bit confused there.

If Eminger is sat out again, it makes me wonder if he is the one who is not being traded and one of the dressed guys are.

I understand keeping a guy out a game or two to put the finishing touches on a deal ----- six days and three games is excessive.

Quote:
I think Schultz can add a good amount of muscle before he starts having to worry about losing his mobility.
He is a bit on the, erm, lanky side.

Old
02-20-2007, 03:14 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Looks like heavy fingers just don't affect your typing ability eh HC?

edit: nevermind double post removed.

Old
02-20-2007, 03:17 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Looks like heavy fingers just don't affect your typing ability eh HC?

edit: nevermind double post removed.
I was a bit quick on the trigger there, eh?

I blame the server ... it was too slow so I hit "submit" twice.

Old
02-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Devil Dancer

How has Erskine looked since coming back from the injury? I've been busy with other stuff in life, and I haven't had a chance to closely watch the last few games.

Is he playing at the same level as he was before the break?

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
How has Erskine looked since coming back from the injury? I've been busy with other stuff in life, and I haven't had a chance to closely watch the last few games.

Is he playing at the same level as he was before the break?
He has looked a little slow to me, but that may have nothing to do with his injury since he wasn't that fast to begin with.

Old
02-23-2007, 10:07 AM
DefenseDotCom

I love Erskine. No one will accuse him of being a graceful skater. But behind the Clydesdale technique is passable quickness and mobility for a No. 5-7 Dman. We should re-sign this guy for at least a year or three as depth, muscle and edge.

DefenseDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Love that kid. He's slow but he plays a sound positional game just the same, and he's all you would want out of a tough defenseman after the whistle and in front of the net. I'd definitely retain him and probably pencil him in again for a third-pairing role next year.

The kids are fine. I'd probably deal one of them either for, or to make room for, a veteran who plays at a whole different level than Heward, Nycholat and Muir. Eminger's the likely candidate, but whomever. As good as they are, the six youngster model isn't a recipe for winning, not if they want to creep up the standings next year in the short to medium term. They need a mix of skilled youth and skilled vets. They are top heavy with youth and carry mostly journeymen vets now, save Pothier.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:13 PM
rad

I agree that Erskine brings a factor that we need on the defense, despite his lack of speed it is definitely worth keeping him in my opinion.

Eminger was probably held out as a coach's decision. Although it wouldn't surprise me if GM asked Hanlon to keep Heward in the lineup. Nobody else has played their way out of the lineup, either.

Schultz's game isn't really to hit and smash people. Yes he is big and has tools to be able to play physically, and that is something he will probably be adding as he gets more comfortable. But it would be a mistake to try to rush him into it before he is comfortable with the mental speed of the NHL. IMO he'll never be a true monster, but if he picks his spots he could be very effective.

rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Burgh32

Erskine is in an ideal mold of a 3rd pair dman in this league, and especially on this team. Relatively reliable with a mean streak.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:15 AM
HockeyCritter

I thought Erskine had his best game as a Cap Saturday .... that diving sweep check on Gomez's breakaway was pure brilliance.

Old
02-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
Erskine is in an ideal mold of a 3rd pair dman in this league, and especially on this team. Relatively reliable with a mean streak.
I agree with this

Quote:
I thought Erskine had his best game as a Cap Saturday .... that diving sweep check on Gomez's breakaway was pure brilliance.
after just talking about how I think many overrate him, i must say he was excellent.

Old
02-25-2007, 10:01 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I was elated when we picked up Erksine and then more so when we finally called him up. I think EVERY NHL team needs a #6 like Erksine. Our young defense looked unassertive and passive early on, and he singlehandedly restored credibility and respect to our defense with his recall. He was like a man among boys when he came up with his hitting, clearing out in front of the net and fighting when needed. He showed the more passive D players how to be a (D) man in this league. He is not the best fighter but appears fearless. His play reminds me of Scott Stevens in his rookie year, not so much Witt. JE is very aggressive yet doesnt take dumb penalties, something Witt could never figure out how to do.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 01:02 PM
tocchet92

If Erskine weren't injured, he would easily be a top 10 HW. He got the 'W' over Janssen last night and Janssen is currently #7 on the hockeyfights.com top 10.

I am a Pens fan and I check this board often looking for an Erskine to Pens rumor. Dosen't look too hopeful.

Rumor on Spector's today has the Pens interested in Clymer

Keep Clymer and send us Erskine!

Last edited by tocchet92: 02-25-2007 at 01:10 PM.
tocchet92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzSawLouie View Post
If Erskine weren't injured, he would easily be a top 10 HW. He got the 'W' over Janssen last night and Janssen is currently #7 on the hockeyfights.com top 10.

I am a Pens fan and I check this board often looking for an Erskine to Pens rumor. Dosen't look too hopeful.

Rumor on Spector's today has the Pens interested in Clymer

Keep Clymer and send us Erskine!
Unless the Pens dramatically overpay, Erskine's not going anywhere. The team really likes having him.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote