HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Holding stick butt-end

Old
03-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Buckst3r

vCash: 500
Holding stick butt-end

This may be a stupid question but do you tape the knob at the butt-end of your stick to fit into your palm or so it stops you from losing your stick? I've seen people place the knob in the middle of their palm as well as others gripping their stick just below the knob. I play defense if that matters at all.

Last edited by Buckst3r: 03-28-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: typo
Buckst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

99.99% of players will add tape to the end of the stick, and a good chunk of them will make a knob at the end to keep the stick from slipping out. Some folks hold the knob in the palm and others hold the stick like a bat with the knob above. All personal preference.

I make a small knob and rest my pinky against it then. I also use the grippy flex tape too.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 04:56 PM
CunniJA

I hold it like a bat with my hand resting on the knob. I use a pretty big knob as far as things go.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Buckst3r

Yeah I was curious as to whether or not there was a correct/incorrect way of doing it or whether it was just about personal preference. I tried the pinky resting on knob/knob center of palm but found it really awkward as to holding it like a bat being far more comfortable.

Old
03-28-2014, 05:21 PM
LarryO

I hold it like a bat with my pinky right beside the knob and the pinky-side of the hand a bit over the knob. If the knob is in the palm of your hand, you don't get as much leverage handling the stick with one hand.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Mikey 48
NuthinButA'DrejThang

I might be a bit weird, but I make my knob just a tiny bit down the shaft so that it fits between my pinky and ring fingers. I have no idea why, I just started doing that for some reason.

Mikey 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Buckst3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 48 View Post
I might be a bit weird, but I make my knob just a tiny bit down the shaft so that it fits between my pinky and ring fingers. I have no idea why, I just started doing that for some reason.
Lol, that definitely is something I've yet to see but interesting nonetheless.

Old
03-28-2014, 06:38 PM
silkyjohnson50

I make a small knob because I hold it in my palm.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
I don't make a knob, I just spin the tape while it's dangling to make a "string" then wrap it around the shaft, then go back over it taping it like normal.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2014, 01:27 PM
SpringfieldSkins

I put a knob at the end, hold the butt of the stick in my palm. The knob goes in between my middle and third fingers when I grip it.

It feels most natural for stick handling but I worry about fatigue on my palms from hard shots. Definitely feel some discomfort from holding it that way sometimes.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Poison and Wine

vCash: 564
I didn't do it for grip at first. When I first started playing I thought the purpose of a knob was to make it easier to pick up your stick if you dropped it.

So now I use a pretty big one because that's what I'm used to.

03-30-2014, 10:17 PM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

I watched a couple YouTube videos before I started playing and some of the guys there said they used it "so they know where the end of the stick is" as in holding it like a bat. However, other guys said you're supposed to hold the end of the stick in your palm, no matter if there's a knob or not. So I tried to do that and it felt super awkward off ice so I'd hold the stick below the knob. However, on ice I naturally put the knob in my palm and my pinky on top. All personal preference I guess.

PGCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 10:30 PM
CarpeNoctem
I Pity #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaRocketsFan View Post
I watched a couple YouTube videos before I started playing and some of the guys there said they used it "so they know where the end of the stick is" as in holding it like a bat. However, other guys said you're supposed to hold the end of the stick in your palm, no matter if there's a knob or not. So I tried to do that and it felt super awkward off ice so I'd hold the stick below the knob. However, on ice I naturally put the knob in my palm and my pinky on top. All personal preference I guess.
You need to use the v-grip. The end of the shaft has to come into your palm or the heel of your hand, e.g. between thumb and index. If you hold a hockey stick like a baseball bat, I guarantee, I can steal the puck from you every time.

CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 10:49 PM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeNoctem View Post
You need to use the v-grip. The end of the shaft has to come into your palm or the heel of your hand, e.g. between thumb and index. If you hold a hockey stick like a baseball bat, I guarantee, I can steal the puck from you every time.
That's not at all what I meant. You can still either just hold the knob or hold the stick below the knob, both using the v-grip.

PGCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 11:09 PM
Mikey 48
NuthinButA'DrejThang

I felt how I explained my knob was kind of unclear, so here's a picture.

I also cut the tape in half when I make the knob so it isn't too thick.

Mikey 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 09:56 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrose Everdeen View Post
I didn't do it for grip at first. When I first started playing I thought the purpose of a knob was to make it easier to pick up your stick if you dropped it.

So now I use a pretty big one because that's what I'm used to.
Yeah...once I figured out it was for grip, I use a much smaller one since my hands aren't huge.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote