HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Preds Trade Deadline Thread

Old
02-25-2007, 03:58 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
The Preds Trade Deadline Thread

Will we make another move? Add another top-4 dman? Shed some of the dead weight for draft picks? Pick up some depth?

Also, we can use this thread to talk about other teams deals, winners, losers, buyers, sellers, etc.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:01 PM
handtrick

I don't think we make any more moves.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:05 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
I don't think we make any more moves.
I didn't think so, until I heard a thing or two last night from my own "inside sources."

Rumor has it that we'd still like to add a defenseman, but I guess it depends on the price. That goes up if Vishnevski is hurt.

Old
02-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

It would be smart to keep our eyes open and our ears to the wall on what kind of defenseman are available. The bottomline is we still have a terrific piece of trade bait in Kevin Klein, and he still isn't going to have a spot on this team if we resign two of Kimmo, Zanon, or Vishnevski (a possiblity that has to be extremely high). Still, unless we are getting a top 4 guy, someone who can be paired with Kimmo immediately.....I don't see the point in a trade. Who would we target? Someone young that will be with us? An expiring contract? I have no idea....

02-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I have always felt that we will still make an addition since the Forsberg trade went down. I feel that we will pickup another winger to add some secondary scoring and bump Radulov from the lineup if need be. Alex has not been producing lately and I'm afraid that he is getting worn down by the long season.

I also believe that if one is available we will acquire a battle-tested rugged defenseman to the lineup if for no other purpose than to provide us with depth heading into the playoffs. I am not looking for a Hnidy or Bombardir, rather I'm looking at someone similiar to Anaheim picking up Keith Carney a few years back for a playoff run or Detroit acquiring Jamie Macoun for their own playoff run years ago.

As has been mentioned in the trade rumors board, the Isles Jason Blake is rumored to have Nashville as a suitor. Depending on the price...I feel he would be a great fit to solve my want for a third line winger. I'm looking for someone to provide the spark that Mark Reechi did for Carolina last season.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I don't know. Rads has been playing decently the last two to three games when he has had a legitimate scoring center between him. Granted, he isn't going to produce like a Blake or Guerin would...but still....I think a line with him and Legwand on it will be very good. One thing to note is that his defensive game is just leaps and bounds better than what it used to be.

Craig Rivet and a fifth round pick werejust traded for a first round pick and Josh Gorges from the SJ Sharks. I honestly feel like this is one of the worst deals I have seen in awhile. Its not the fact that the Sharks gave up a lot to improve their teams.....its more the fact that Craig Rivet is only a slightly better defenseman than Greg Zanon. Throw in the fact the Sharks just lost Gorges (a player that is NHL ready and almost on Rivet's level to begin with) and a first round pick, and frankly....I'm mystified. Poor trade.....poor.

The market right now is so high that if we are going to make another move, it is probably going to need to be a deal between a team that is looking for NHL ready players rather than picks and has a salary they want moved....

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:05 PM
smoneil

Someone on the Rangers board just mentioned hearing that you guys were looking (hard) at Aaron Ward. Any thoughts on what you'd send the other way?

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Someone on the Rangers board just mentioned hearing that you guys were looking (hard) at Aaron Ward. Any thoughts on what you'd send the other way?
I don't know about that, given the going rate for defensemen, and besides, he's had a rough year and is signed for next year(something I wasn't aware of until today)

Old
02-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
I honestly do not know. You would think some of our depth players could be available....Smithson/etc, but for Ward I would expect you would be wanting a decent return.

We would need to move a defenseman as we already have 7 that we rotate in and out of the lineup. Klein is waiting in the wings....*Shrug* We have plenty of prospects to get a deal done, but with the amount of roster players we have, I could see a handful of them being available.

Old
02-25-2007, 09:01 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I didn't think so, until I heard a thing or two last night from my own "inside sources."

Rumor has it that we'd still like to add a defenseman, but I guess it depends on the price. That goes up if Vishnevski is hurt.
Leipold told 303 last night that they were gonna stand pat.
Now, I know that is not Poile, but.....

I think everything truly hinges on Sully, Hartnell, and Timonen's TRUE injury status.

If we add, I would suspect that one or more is more potentially serious than advertised......

If I had to guess which one would be the most likely to be more serious than advertised, I would say it would be Timonen

_____

Here is a combination of a couple posts I did earlier on NP.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by predperson at NP.cpm
question for Handtrick:
I know you probably don't know all the details as to what type of fracture Hartnell has in his foot but we are hearing he will be out 2-4 weeks and other sources say out 4-6 weeks. What's your best guess?
2-6 weeks, lol.

Seriously, I think it will be more like 3-4 weeks.
The main thing that tells me that is that he skated on it for 3 days before it was found.....tells me it was a subtle, nondisplaced fracture which is the quickest to heal.

Speaking of other injuries:

I heard Sully interview with Eli Gold while I was in the concourse between the 1st and 2nd periods. He confirmed it was his back, and that it actually went out as he was headed up the ice on that shorthanded breakout with Legwand, that is why he gave such a poor effort on the scoring chance is that he couldn't even turn to pass it to Legwand. He says that he has had to battle it thoughout his career and it usually lasts 3-10 days. It sounded pretty believable to me.

Kimmo:
The paper today said that it was his "wrist" [not his hand, as had been previously reported], he has been icing it and taping it. I saw him talking to a ref with his glove off, and indeed it was his wrist that was taped. In an earlier report they said that it was a "bone bruise."......
If you put it all together.....it could be something minor.....or it could be something more ominous for the long term. If it is one of two certain bones in the wrist, [the lunate or scaphoid bones that have the "bone bruise"] this could mean that there is a subtle fracture present that may be very difficult to get to heal, with potentially long-term problems with it, especially if it is the "lunate bone".....and lead to progressive collapse of the bone over time.
Now, I am not trying to be an alarmist here, but this is the injury that has me the most concerned, mainly because of the lack of definitive info surrounding it.

_

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort82 at NP.com
I saw what you wrote about kimmo.. if its a lunate fx will he probably just be able to play through it or eventually have to stop and get it worked on? can you even do much for those? from the little ortho I remember arent the hamate and lunate particularly subject to avascular necrosis or somesuch?
the lunate is the one particularly suseptible to avascular necrosis, otherwise known as "Kienbock's Disease."
That, is in fact, what concerns me.
Unfortunately it is a very slow collapse of the bone that occurs over many months, if the bone loses its blood supply, and is quite painful during that time with limited range of motion.
There are many surgical treatment options, if it [avascular necrosis] develops in full force. And the fact that there ARE so many surgical options, in essence, means the outcomes aren't particularly great.
There are some "cutting edge" procedures, such as vascularized bone grafts to the lunate, that were in fact, developed while I was up at the Mayo, that could be utilized if the collapse of the bone occurs over time, but long-term prognosis would be guarded and would require 4-6 months off.

Again.....no definitive evidence that this is what is wrong, and in fact, I would be surprised if does, in fact, develop into this.....but as a hand surgeon, that is what I worry about when I hear the info trickling in.

In reality, "bone bruises" occur much more than we ever knew because we had no way to diagnose them before the development of sophisticated MRI coils for the wrist.....and if the "bone bruise" is not in the vascularly vulnerable bones of the lunate, scaphoid, and to some degree, the capitate in the wrist......then he can just play with and through the pain without much chance of long-term damage.

Sorry, if I explained it in too complicated of terms for some to follow, but this is one of those injuries that is hard to explain accurately in real simple terms.

Last edited by handtrick: 02-25-2007 at 09:20 PM.
handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Leipold told 303 last night that they were gonna stand pat.
Now, I know that is not Poile, but.....

I think everything truly hinges on Sully, Hartnell, and Timonen's TRUE injury status.

If we add, I would suspect that one or more is more potentially serious than advertised......

If I had to guess which one would be the most likely to be more serious than advertised, I would say it would be Timonen

_____

Here is a combination of a couple posts I did earlier on NP.com:

2-6 weeks, lol.

The main thing that tells me that is that he skated on it for 3 days before it was found.....tells me it was a subtle, nondisplaced fracture which is the quickest to heal.

Speaking of other injuries:

I heard Sully interview with Eli Gold while I was in the concourse between the 1st and 2nd periods. He confirmed it was his back, and that it actually went our as he was headed up the ice on that shorthanded breakout with Legwand, that is why he gave such a poor effort on the scoring chance is that he couldn't even turn to pass it to Legwand. He says that he has had to battle it thoughout his career and it usually lasts 3-10 days. It sounded pretty believable to me.

Kimmo:
The paper today said that it was his "wrist" [not his hand, as had been previously reported], he has been icing it and taping it. I saw him talking to a ref with his glove off, and indeed it was his wrist that was taped. In an earlier report they said that it was a "bone bruise."......
If you put it all together.....it could be something minor.....or it could be something more ominous for the long term. If it is one of two certain bones in the wrist, [the lunate or scaphoid bones that have the "bone bruise"] this could mean that there is a subtle fracture present that may be very difficult to get to heal, with potentially long-term problems with it, especially if it is the "lunate bone".....and lead to progressive collapse of the bone over time.
Now, I am not trying to be an alarmist here, but this is the injury that has me the most concerned, mainly because of the lack of definitive info surrounding it.

_

the lunate is the one particularly suseptible to avascular necrosis, otherwise known as "Kienbock's Disease."
That, is in fact, what concerns me.
Unfortunately it is a very slow collapse of the bone that occurs over many months, if the bone loses its blood supply, and is quite painful during that time with limited range of motion.
There are many surgical treatment options, if it [avascular necrosis] develops in full force. And the fact that there ARE so many surgical options, in essence, means the outcomes aren't particularly great.
There are some "cutting edge" procedures, such as vascularized bone grafts to the lunate, that were in fact, developed while I was up at the Mayo, that could be utilized if the collapse of the bone occurs over time, but long-term prognosis would be guarded and would require 4-6 months off.

Again.....no definitive evidence that this is what is wrong, and in fact, I would be surprised if does, in fact, develop into this.....but as a hand surgeon, that is what I worry about when I hear the info trickling in.

In reality, "bone bruises" occur much more than we ever knew because we had no way to diagnose them before the development of sophisticated MRI coils for the wrist.....and if the "bone bruise" is not in the vascularly vulnerable bones of the lunate, scaphoid, and to some degree, the capitate in the wrist......then he can just play with and through the pain without much chance of long-term damage.

Sorry, if I explained it in too complicated of terms for some to follow, but this is one of those injuries that is hard to explain accurately in real simple terms.
GREAT POST ... your expertise on injuries and terminology & explaining what's wrong with said players is a plus to this board

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Jarnberg

Denis Hamel, Jason Krog, Niko Kapanen, Marc Chouinard, Aaron Downey and Petr Cajanek all on waivers.

Do you think we take a stab at one for some temporary relief since Hartnell is out for a while? The only player I would even look at would be Cajanek, however he's a center.

Its funny how Upshall is buried behind depth here for so long and right after he's traded he has a position opened up...

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:11 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

There's not much on that list that's an upgrade on even our weakest link, outside Cajanek...who...as mentioned...is a center and would likely get claimed before we got a shot, anyway.

Old
02-26-2007, 12:19 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
There's not much on that list that's an upgrade on even our weakest link, outside Cajanek...who...as mentioned...is a center and would likely get claimed before we got a shot, anyway.
Not that this is the end all beat all, but TSN has Cajanek listed as a C and a LW.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:20 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Not that this is the end all beat all, but TSN has Cajanek listed as a C and a LW.
But you're right...he'll be claimed before we get a chance to claim him anyways.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 07:39 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

The Wings get Kyle Calder in a three-way deal from the Flyers, sending Jason Williams to Chicago(and Chicago sent Lasse Kukkonen to the Flyers)

Hope that's their "big acquisition"

Canucks gave up some decent picks to acquire Smolinski and Sopel, I don't think they needed to add a whole lot to be a team that makes me nervous. Luongo alone is enough to do that, and the Sedins historically give us fits.

Still some strong rumors that the Wings are gunning hard for Guerin, hopefully one of the eastern teams that are interested(Habs, Isles?) make a ridiculous offer and they're left with nothing.

Old
02-26-2007, 08:55 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

just for fun, an idea...

With Hartnell out the rest of the regular season, and even when he comes back Radulov not exactly productive...

What about Owen Nolan? He's an experienced vet, had a decent season in a limited role in Phoenix, and I think he'd be great on our third line with Hartnell and Legwand. If the price is right...what do you guys think? He'd be another big guy on an otherwise smallish "skill" team.

Old
02-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I still remember Nolan in his prime......I'm not sure how far his game has fallen/how much his back is effecting him. If the cost was a mid-level prospect......sure, what the heck. Nolan has always been good in the locker room.

Old
02-26-2007, 09:39 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

plus he's bald, which fits in with our team goal of having more baldies than any other team.

Old
02-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Nashville108*

I for one have a weird feeling that Radulov will excell in the playoffs. He gives his all and that could rub off on other guys.

Nashville108* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 10:16 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville108 View Post
I for one have a weird feeling that Radulov will excell in the playoffs. He gives his all and that could rub off on other guys.
I don't think it's about effort. He had a great start, but it's not like he's been inconsistent. He's been downright invisible, and I don't know that he was as ready as we thought he was...and when he cooled off, he probably would have benefitted from more time in the minors.

Old
02-26-2007, 10:35 PM
mmneely932

Quote:
He's been downright invisible, and I don't know that he was as ready as we thought he was...and when he cooled off, he probably would have benefitted from more time in the minors.
Gee, do we suppose Trotzy actually knew what he was doing trying to keep Rad down on the farm?

mmneely932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 10:40 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmneely932 View Post
Gee, do we suppose Trotzy actually knew what he was doing trying to keep Rad down on the farm?
No one said he didn't, but Trotz didn't keep Rads up because the fans demanded it.

Old
02-26-2007, 11:09 PM
irisheyes555

Quote:

2-6 weeks, lol.

i guess it depends on where it happened and what is broken. i had broken my ankle several years ago while playing softball(i'm gonna slide, no i'm gonna go in standing....no i'll do both and go in at a 45 Deg. angle-and the base didn't give so....). i finished the rest of the game and even played a few more. although i did have this habit of falling down periodically when my leg just gave out. after about a month i figured it wasn't sprained(as i thought because the pain came and went) so i went to the doctor. i had driven the top of foot up into my shin and had several bone chips floating around around between them. i could have kept going if i didn't mind the pain every time the chips touched something else. really noticed it when i was barefoot and had no arch support closing the gap down between the bones.

don't pretend to be a doctor but in my case it was about 1~2 month wearing the "boot" to immobilize my foot. nothing like trying to shower while doing the flamingo. i imagine hartnell was more of a simple or clean break from the puck impact, so maybe that will heal faster than my chips. maybe the nature of the 4~6 week estimate would mean a simple break. of course harts is about 4 years younger than i was back then, but i don't think it will heal that much faster based on in youth.

we just don't need him to rush back and aggravate it for the playoffs.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:43 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I dont think we need to replace Radulov going into the postseason and Im frankly nnot suprised that his goal scoring is down.

If you remember, when he was scoring alot of his goals, he was getting pretty dangt lucky. Bizarre redirections and flubbed shots were somehow finding their way in to the net. He did score some skill shots, but you have to admit that some of them were pretty crazy and that just isnt going to happen all season.

I also have a good feeling about him in the playoffs.

I think if anything we pick up another Dman since we still have spare forwards in TooToo, Hordichuk, Smithson, Fiddler, and Nichol.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote