HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Renney wants to add,not subtract

Old
02-25-2007, 10:07 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
A nagging voice in my head keeps telling me we're about to go through Kovy III. It won't go away.
He is out with an injury

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
A nagging voice in my head keeps telling me we're about to go through Kovy III. It won't go away.
Hopefully its the after effects of whatever you drank last night lol.

I wouldn't mind acquiring a young defenseman if the price was right. We wouldn't look half as bad if we had a few players that know how to play defense and not allow shots from 15 feet away.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 10:23 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
If we trade any young assets or picks they've lost my support. This season for all pratical purposes ended when we lost to the flygirls, struggled vs chicago and lost to columbus. It is obvious that this team is finished and anyone in management that thinks otherwise and waste, yes wastes young assets, to try and salvage this season should and needs to be fired.

Personally I do not think we will trade away young assets. Personally I think we need an injection of some tenacity and intelligence. You can cycle all you want down low in the corners and along the boards, in fact the opposition lets us, but we are too dumb to recognize it. The biggest dope is Jagr. Teams throughout the league are perfectly willing to allow Jagr and Nylander to play catch and circle around as long as they make no move towards the goal.

Funny how we get leads going north/south and then revert back to this euro cycling crap and piss away games. Renney is responsible for allowing the team, specfically the players I'm mentioning to undermine the game plan. If anyone doesn't think taht there is a deep fracture in this team because of that they are kidding themselves.
I wonder if this is the residue of Renney's experince in Vancouver with Messier where he clashed with the star player.

Take a look at John T. in Tampa, unproven coach, whom we didn;t think deserved a chance, took on his team's biggest star, the face of the frandchise and molded him into a all round player by benching him and not putting up with wanting to do things outside of the team game plan that John T wanted.

That is how you gain not only a players respect, but loyality.

If we go out and get younger, 23-27 year old assets that I might be able to swallow. But no 30+ year olds who have big contracts and have already peaked. More Avery types, fine. A Horton for a Montoya and a 2nd round pick, OK. More grit mean spirted players OK. Anymore finesse players and we obviously need to change directions within the organization. I like the Dubi's, Korp's, the Staal's. We've stayed the course this late into the season we might was well bite the bullet and let this team free fall and get as good a draft pick as we can. After the deadline we can call up 4 players and I say we call up four and sit down some vets who have had their opportunity and failed.

We need to integrate the Dawes', Immonen's, the Pock's and maybe teh Korpikoski's into the lineup and let them cut their teeth with meanless NHL games and get the learning experience out of the way and get a true read on their NHL abilities. we replace them with college and Jr players in Hartford and yes that means Staal too. bring him to Hartford, play some there and bring him in over teh last few games of the year, 2-3 and let him see some NHL action so he knows in the offseason what he needs to do and expect. Montoya needs to be brought up and play some NHL games too.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 10:58 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
He is out with an injury
That should make that voice go away. Thanks.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 11:01 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
Hopefully its the after effects of whatever you drank last night lol.

I wouldn't mind acquiring a young defenseman if the price was right. We wouldn't look half as bad if we had a few players that know how to play defense and not allow shots from 15 feet away.

That's pretty good. How did you know? I better take it easy with the sauce until the deadline passes.

Old
02-25-2007, 12:37 PM
blandBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Personally I do not think we will trade away young assets. Personally I think we need an injection of some tenacity and intelligence. You can cycle all you want down low in the corners and along the boards, in fact the opposition lets us, but we are too dumb to recognize it.
That's exactly it, and it's maddening to watch over and over again. For the longest time, I just haven't seen evidence of real coaching, but I've never been able to pinpoint whether a. Renney doesn't know what he's doing, b. some players just tune him out because he isn't forceful enough, or c. somebody else runs the show, even though Tom walks around behind the players, saying things and making gestures and expressions, just like a real coach.

The infrequent but real flashes of adequacy, competency, and sometimes even dominance that have been seen this season tell me we have enough skill on the ice, just missing a lot on the character and focus. So, seeing as how my own selfish goal right now is to see some exciting desperation hockey from the Rangers into April, what you propose aligns perfectly with that. Bring the guys up from Hartford, tell some of the present crop of lumps that don't bring their heart to the game or insist on making the same mistakes over and over that the view isn't too bad from the press box, free snacks too.

Nothing to lose, everything to gain. One thing this team has not earned over the last week or so expecially is any undue love from the fans in the stands, show up to play or take your lumps. It's not like anybody dies, it's just a hockey game.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 12:47 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
getting back to renney, of course he is going to say he wants to add. management wants fans to keep coming to the games. plus, i am sure renney DOES want to add. if he makes the playoffs he might keep his job. if they miss the playoffs peeps will want heads to roll. just my opinion.
That's exactly what I am taking away from these comments. I hate Renney and I want him gone but what does everyone expect him to say. It's his job to get this team as far possible. He's the guy that is supposed to want to win the cup, it's Sather-Maloney's job to decide if we are giving up or going for it. If I was Renney I'd want to add every UFA possible, mainly cause I want to save my job but also because it is my job to win.

He's not the GM so his opinion is probably irrelevant, I'm sure after the 2nd period the GM was on the phone testing the waters.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 12:54 PM
eco's bones

I actually like Renney and hope he sticks around but maybe not as the coach--maybe back to what he was doing before--handling the draft etc. I think he's lost focus and lost the team and at this point it's illogical to believe that a trade for a big name is going to turn the season around. Who knows--miracles do once in a while happen but it's best not to gamble your house on them. It would be a decision made out of desperation which are usually the worst kind. As for someone who might be a good choice as coach--Schoenfeld seems to be the most logical and I think he would. The reason he turned down that job before was because he was upset about how the Trottier firing was handled. Several years later he might be a lot more open to that.

Old
02-25-2007, 06:55 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Let him add. Just make sure he adds the right pieces without giving up too much youth

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote