HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shootout choices

Old
02-23-2007, 06:47 AM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
Shootout choices

I'm frustrated and perplexed with Renney's shootout choices. No problems with Nylander, Prucha, and Hossa. But Mat Cullen? What happened to Straka? If a player scores in a shootout it seems as if Renney will keep going back to him no matter how many times he doesn't score in the future. Instead of looking at the overall ability of the player and their long term shootout success, his memory is decidely short term.
And what gives with Jagr? One of the greatest NHL offensive forces in history and he chooses repeatedly to opt out of the shootout? And Renney goes along with it? I've had little to complain about as to Jagr's work ethic and competitiveness since his arrival (concerns in both the Penguins and Caps), but, bad shoulder and all, he needs to step up here. We're wasting a guy with over 600 goals to use Mat Cullen! Jag's body language on the bench during the shootout looked like a kid making excuses for not doing his HW and trying to avoid punishment by pouting and manipulating the teacher. Renney needs to tell him that, in the future, he will be a top shootout choice.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

This same topic popped up after the last shootout lost, oddly enough to the Dev's lol. As far as Jagr goes,he has said that he doesnt like going into the shootout because he doesnt feel comfortable for what ever reason. Why Straka wasnt in there I have no idea, but Cullen has been playing well so i'm going to assume that weighed on Renney's choice, not saying Straka hasnt, just that Cullen seems to be very motivated in recent games. Personally I would like to see what Avery or Dupis have in a shootout, they seems to have decent hands and are capable of making some nice moves. I dont know, personally I would rather they just skip the SO all together and get 2pts in regulation time.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Fletch

Cullen scored a goal...

against Marty in a shootout earlier in the season, which is why he's there. Straka's OK on shootouts, but shouldn't automatically be there. There's also Jagr, but that's a discussion for another thread, I believe...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 07:57 AM
WheresBarnaby

I believe Matt Cullen was very good at the shootout back in Carolina. That, and he has speed which can be deadly.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 08:42 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
I believe Matt Cullen was very good at the shootout back in Carolina. That, and he has speed which can be deadly.
He has the speed but the guy who might be the best on this team is Nylander and he goes in super-slo-mo

02-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

I can sort of understand if Jagr is really uncomfortable in the shootout...fine, dont put him there.

But where is Straka? I think he is much better than Matt Cullen.

I think the shootout lineup we had yesterday may have cost us a point...no kidding.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 08:51 AM
NJD00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
against Marty in a shootout earlier in the season, which is why he's there. Straka's OK on shootouts, but shouldn't automatically be there. There's also Jagr, but that's a discussion for another thread, I believe...
Here's what Mr. Brooks had to say on the subject of Jagr. Interesting stuff.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02232007...rry_brooks.htm

NJD00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD00 View Post
Here's what Mr. Brooks had to say on the subject of Jagr. Interesting stuff.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02232007...rry_brooks.htm
I'm sorry, but if you are the CAPTAIN, this kind of stuff cannot happen.

1. You are killing your team's confidence. If I'm let's say Nylander and I know I'm going first...and I know that Jagr wont be there going after me or later to back me up if I dont score...I wont be happy.

2. Jagr - if you are the best forward on the team, which he is, then you need to be in the Shootout. You dont feel confident about it? Do what you need to do to feel confident. Practice shootouts in practice with Lundqvist. Find a spot in the shootout rotation that you like...whether its going 1st or last or in the middle, find a spot that makes you more comfortable!

We could have lost a point last night because of this **** by Jagr...

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 09:27 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Do these guys not understand that in the shootout if you're going to shoot/not make a move you NEVER go to Brodeur's glove? He leaves that thing open but at the last second he'll jump right on it.

It blows seeing such a great effort the past two weeks w/o that many pts to show for it. Boy do those Detroit/Philly losses sting evne more.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 09:46 AM
bleedrngrblue

I want to see Malik in the shootout.....that goal last season is still incredible to watch.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:18 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Nylander-Jagr-Prucha-Hossa

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote