HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Shanny next year

Old
02-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Nemchinov13

vCash: 500
Shanny next year

I haven't seen a thread regarding this matter, so I've decided to post it. It seems like we won't makey playoffs. So... Will Shanny come back next year? If he does, will it be detrimental/beneficial for the team and its further progression and so-called "rebuilding"? Discuss.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 09:59 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
I haven't seen a thread regarding this matter, so I've decided to post it. It seems like we won't makey playoffs. So... Will Shanny come back next year? If he does, will it be detrimental/beneficial for the team and its further progression and so-called "rebuilding"? Discuss.
Id keep him. Id keep him and ship some of the euros out of here.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I would hope he would come back, I love him in a Rangers sweater and hope he retires a Ranger. However a case could be made that the Rangers should trade him to get some "solid youth". Also there is the possibility that he wont want to come back to the team, but I have a feeling that he is happy on the Rangers and whats to be back.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:01 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Keeping him & him wanting to stay are 2 different matters entirely. If you were Shanny, would you want to stay?

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastRangersFan View Post
Keeping him & him wanting to stay are 2 different matters entirely. If you were Shanny, would you want to stay?
Yeah, that's the real unknown here - we all love Shanny, but would he want to play out his last few years in flawed franchise such as ours?

Old
02-24-2007, 10:10 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Ok, 'flawed franchise' is putting it rather nicely, but I get your pont

Old
02-24-2007, 10:20 PM
HenrikO'doyle

I wouldnt mind trading some of the veterans we have now, however Shanny is the 1 guy we should keep. IMO, no one in the NHL is currently a better leader and he can teach the young guys by example and show em how its done. I say we resign him and trade all the other players(Some of the older Euro's we have and Aaron Ward). However if Shanny wants to come back is the question.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastRangersFan View Post
While I agree it would be tough to stay after what has happend with this team as of late, I think is the type of guy who wants a challenge and is excited to suceed. So for that reason alone I can see him staying because we all know this team is a challenge to deal with lol.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:45 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Good points KH35, but a tough challenge is righting a lost ship. When that ship is sinking, do you really wanna hang around while a clueless crew runs around plugging holes? Man, I'd love him to stay, but at the same time I love Shanny, so why would I want to inflict so much misery into his life........

Old
02-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I hope the Rangers become sellers at the deadline and clear enough space to sign Shanny long term or till he decides to hang em up.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Block More Shots

I like Shanny but if we re-sign him, we're taking a roster spot away from a kid.

It's a tough call but I'd lean towards no. I'm kinda hoping that guys like Dawes, Callahan, Immonen, and Jessiman (yeah, I said Jessiman) could make runs at some spots next season.

By the way, I haven't given up on Jessiman yet and I believe he's just a late bloomer.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting for Dubi View Post
I like Shanny but if we re-sign him, we're taking a roster spot away from a kid.

It's a tough call but I'd lean towards no. I'm kinda hoping that guys like Dawes, Callahan, Immonen, and Jessiman (yeah, I said Jessiman) could make runs at some spots next season.

By the way, I haven't given up on Jessiman yet and I believe he's just a late bloomer.
Dubi, if the team next season is really thinking about giving those players you mentioned a chance I would want Shanny here all the more. These young guys just draw to him and I can't think of a better leader for a young team. All-Star reports said Crosby was following Shanny everywhere with a big smile on his face. The only question is does Shanny wanna end his career in such a fashion? Is he interested in being a leader/teacher for a young team or does he want another shot at a cup?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 01:52 AM
WheresBarnaby

Shanny'll be back. He loves NY, and the feelings mutual.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Nemchinov13

Brendan Shanahan is a living legend (not unlike Sakic, Yzerman, etc), a stand out citizen, a 1st ballot Hall of Famer, multiple Cup winner, top 20 career goal scorer, a leader on and off the ice, a classy human being, a winner... the list goes on. As much as he loves New York and MSG (back from his early years in the Swamp), would he want to go out in such a way - playing his last years for the decade-long losers that the Rangers are? If he does so, then it's emphasizes the "retirement club" status of the Rangers even moreso - Messier, LaFontaine (arguably), Kevin Hatcher, Kevin Stevens, TGO, Marcel Dionne... another long list.

So, does he go to a club that's on the rise (Pit, Ana, Buf, SJ) or does he go to the team that offers him the most amount of $? Or would he want to come back to a team that is between heavens and earth - unsure whether to rebuild or take a run at playoffs?

Old
02-25-2007, 11:29 AM
eco's bones

Well Shanny said when he was unconscious the fans chanting his name woke him up.
I think he likes it here. At his age to me if he'll sign a year at a time--that's fine. Good leadership qualities and still a good player.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Nemchinov13

I haven't been able to watch any meaningful amount of games in the past 10 months or so. But in the few games that I saw, Shanny has always been visible in a good way. He is a consumate professional. If he decides to return next year, he would be a great figure for the young ones to look up to and learn from. But how many spots would we have for the youngins? If Cally or Dawes make it, would they be placed on the bottom lines again? If Shanny re-signs, is he taking a spot on the left side from Prucha and Dawes?

Old
02-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
I dont really care what anyone says, but Shanny is the captain on this team, he's the TRUE leader, I'd like to get rid of most of the rangers team, keep Shanny, Avery, orts, hollweg, tyutin, pock, lundy, and build around them bring everyone else from hartford, there has to be a desire to win, and show heart, thats what young guys do, so i say let's keep Shanny until he retires and make him the captain of this ship, because then it won't sink!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 12:46 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

We HAVE to bring him back next year

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Speedtrials

I think this franchise needs Shanny more than it needs Jagr. Usually I don't like the theory of keeping a vet around if he is going to take the roster spot of a young player. But I really think we need Shanny here to help change the culture of this orginization. How many stories have we heard about young players he has taken aside, and really tried to help them adjust to the pro level. The guys owes this orginization nothing, and I would completely understand if he is disgusted enough by this season, that he goes to another team. However, I think he does have a connection with the fans, and I truely believe he wants to help this orginization turn into a winner again, so I hope he stays.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:27 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Captain Shanny?

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:30 PM
ThirdEye

I hope he's back cause I love the guy

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I would use the money for somebody younger, and better..

To many fans look at shanny as there friend and not for what he really is...a 38 year old who is nearing the end of his career....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:36 PM
SML

I think he is more important than Jagr. I wouldn't mind keeping him, but only on a year to year basis. I don't know why he would stay.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 08:17 PM
sickofsather4ever*

Yeah - I am sure there is going to be a HUGE influx of kids AGAIN next year. I mean with all the ice time we gave our kids this year how can someone NOT EXPECT to have Dawes, Dubinsky, Callahan, etc... here next year. You might as well add the Easter Bunny and Santa to the list of people you want to see on the ice next year!!!! Shanny is the guy I would keep (and believe he will come back) for one main reason - THIS IS A GUY I WOULD LOVE TO SEE COACHING THIS TEAM IN THE FUTURE. With all due respect to Messier - I think Shanahan would be a more natural fit behind the bench (heck in a perfect world they could work together - but that has as much chance of happening as us bringing up Baranka, Callahan and Dawes for the playoff run this year).

How about we try something like letting Nylander, Betts, Hollweg, etc go, keep Shanny AND bring up Dawes, Callahan, Dubinsky, Baranka and Stahl for next year. We could even shoot for an UFA like Souray on the point and maybe have something called a CHANCE to be really good next year. OK - everyone now wake up and back to the frustrating nightmare this season has become.

sickofsather4ever* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 08:27 PM
HenrikO'doyle

^I could dream, but all I see happening is Sather trading a 4th round pick for a crappy defensemen who is past his prime(see Ozolinsh). I want Shanny back, I want him around with many young players and Shanny can show them and lead them and make us better. jagr isnt a leader and I dont want his attitude rubbing off on young guys. Even if Shanny doesnt produce that much next year I still want the guy back.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote