HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The rodent with harsh words for Renney...

View Poll Results: Is Renney this teams problem?
HELL YES! 30 33.71%
Yes by default. 19 21.35%
I really don't know. 27 30.34%
NO WAY! 13 14.61%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-25-2007, 07:50 PM
squilber

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
^I think the reason why people are asking for Renney's head and not Sather's is because they know Renney is much more likely to be fired than Sather. Dolan loves Sather. The team has made the playoffs one time and has won zero playoff games, yet do you ever hear Dolan even slightly criticize Sather? Ever hear him offer an ultimatum or a threat to get the Rangers winning some playoff series or he's out of here? Never.

In my opinion, all three are to blame--Dolan, Sather and Renney. But Dolan is the big boss, so the majority of the blame goes to him. If he's too stupid/proud/stubborn to admit that Sather has been a mistake, then I don't see how things are going to drastically improve.
Couldn't agree with you more. Love to see them all go. I've said this before, and I know it sounds funny, but seriously, I wish Steinbrenner bought MSG and became owner of the Rangers and Knicks. He cares about winning and will put the right people in charge to do it. George would have fired Sather long ago.

squilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 08:26 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
TB, you are talking about the Extremes I noticed you didn't mention Tyutin.
You are naming extremes. I can very easily make a case for Henke and Toots being the exception, and not the rule.
Quote:
Dawes was given a chance and he blew it.
Dawes outplayed enough vets (Hossa inlcuded) in camp. When push came to shove, Renney did not put him into a situation to succeed. And even given the poor approach that Renney took with him, Dawes still looked like a better option for the 3rd line than virtually anyone that Renney trotted out there all year.
Quote:
. Callahan was given a cup of coffee, a lot of teams do that.
His cup of coffe came at a time came at a time that it was apparent that more scoring was needed from the 3rd line. Renney never gave him the chance to show anything. No matter how he performed in Hartford or how poorly the 3rd liners that Renny trotted out played, Callahan never recieved the chance that reality demanded he get.
Quote:
Who cares how Prucha got his shot, he got it and Renney gave it to him.
It matters a great deal. You are making a statement that Renney afforded opportunities to younsters. Reality states different. He had no other choice last year. And when the opportunity came along to take Prucha off of the top-2 lines (when an utterly ineffective Rucinsky came back), Renney jumped on it. Results did not matter. That he was a rookie did.
Quote:
Immonen had a few chances to stick, not Renneys fault he couldnt produce while playing with good players to stay up.
He also happened to show more as a 2nd line center than Immonen did. Or actually, more than anyone until Nylander (a true 2nd line center) got "demoted". Reality dictated that he played well. Renney determined that he is more comfortable with 3rd line players (Cullen) and 4th line players (Betts) playing woefully out of their depth.
Quote:
Pock is playing now and it is a critical time in the season, as is Girardi, Tyutin, Lundvist, Hossa, Prucha, and Hollweg, so how wrong am by looking at the lines like you told me to.
Despite the fact that he has shown more than either Rachunek or Malik, Pock has ONLY recieved his chance when Malik was injured or when Ward got put in the doghouse for yelling at Jagr.
Quote:
And if he were to give more icetime to kids what ones do you feel are ready to make an impact to an NHL during a playoff run?
I have made my feelings known on more than a handfull of occassions. You are on here enough. You should know full well whom I am refering to.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Fletch

I don't think people are calling for Renney's head...

because they think Sather's unlikely to go - it's more that this roster should be good enough, compared to what's out there, to be in a solid playoff position at this current moment. The roster is not a Stanley Cup winner, but it should be good enough to be on the inside looking out. This roster is workable for a decent coach. This team has averaged less than two goals against over the last 17 and they are 7-10 despite that (2 SO losses). When they find defense, they cannot score; when they find offense, the defense isn't there. The consistency from game to game is a joke, and I think a good coach could've done better. Look what Nolan's done on the Island, after everyone wrote them off. PITT wasn't expected to be where they are. Ruff did a great job with his group last year and this season. The roster's better than their record.

Last edited by Fletch: 02-26-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
because they think Sather's unlikely to go - it's more that this roster should be good enough, compared to what's out there, to be in a solid playoff position at this current moment. The roster is not a Stanley Cup winner, but it should be good enough to be on the inside looking out. This roster is workable for a decent coach. This team has averaged less than two goals over the last 17 and they are 7-10 despite that (2 SO losses). When they find defense, they cannot score; when they find offense, the defense isn't there. The consistency from game to game is a joke, and I think a good coach could've done better. Look what Nolan's done on the Island, after everyone wrote them off. PITT wasn't expected to be where they are. Ruff did a great job with his group last year and this season. The roster's better than their record.
couldnt have said it better myself.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
because they think Sather's unlikely to go - it's more that this roster should be good enough, compared to what's out there, to be in a solid playoff position at this current moment. The roster is not a Stanley Cup winner, but it should be good enough to be on the inside looking out. This roster is workable for a decent coach. This team has averaged less than two goals against over the last 17 and they are 7-10 despite that (2 SO losses). When they find defense, they cannot score; when they find offense, the defense isn't there. The consistency from game to game is a joke, and I think a good coach could've done better. Look what Nolan's done on the Island, after everyone wrote them off. PITT wasn't expected to be where they are. Ruff did a great job with his group last year and this season. The roster's better than their record.
How is it Renney's fault that the roster Slats put togeather isn't scoring enough and guys are missing the net or just passing when they have the puck in prime shooting spots (think Nylander)? Renney taps the back of the guys he wants and it's THIER jobs to go out and execute, not the coach's. Look at the last game against CLB. How many players missed the net on great scoring chances? I heard more bangin on the boards than in pregame skates. Thier goalie looked a little shakey at the start of the game giving up a bad first goal. They just kept missing the net on the PP and JJ seems to be playing 3 bar of late hitting posts in his last 3 games.

The other thing I noticed is that this team has a very fragile phyche. If things start to go wrong it seems they don't have that confidence that they can come back, it seems they also are starting to lose the confidence that they can even make the playoffs, which is why I dind't find Renney's comments about not giving up on the playoffs that strange. The thing I find hard to figure out is with the vets we have on the bench how does the team have such low confidence.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
You are naming extremes. I can very easily make a case for Henke and Toots being the exception, and not the rule.

Dawes outplayed enough vets (Hossa inlcuded) in camp. When push came to shove, Renney did not put him into a situation to succeed. And even given the poor approach that Renney took with him, Dawes still looked like a better option for the 3rd line than virtually anyone that Renney trotted out there all year.

His cup of coffe came at a time came at a time that it was apparent that more scoring was needed from the 3rd line. Renney never gave him the chance to show anything. No matter how he performed in Hartford or how poorly the 3rd liners that Renny trotted out played, Callahan never recieved the chance that reality demanded he get.

It matters a great deal. You are making a statement that Renney afforded opportunities to younsters. Reality states different. He had no other choice last year. And when the opportunity came along to take Prucha off of the top-2 lines (when an utterly ineffective Rucinsky came back), Renney jumped on it. Results did not matter. That he was a rookie did.

He also happened to show more as a 2nd line center than Immonen did. Or actually, more than anyone until Nylander (a true 2nd line center) got "demoted". Reality dictated that he played well. Renney determined that he is more comfortable with 3rd line players (Cullen) and 4th line players (Betts) playing woefully out of their depth.

Despite the fact that he has shown more than either Rachunek or Malik, Pock has ONLY recieved his chance when Malik was injured or when Ward got put in the doghouse for yelling at Jagr.

I have made my feelings known on more than a handfull of occassions. You are on here enough. You should know full well whom I am refering to.
And out of all of this you still haven't disproved my point that he has given more shots to young players than any other Ranger coach in recent memory.

Old
02-26-2007, 03:13 PM
pld459666

Quote:
And out of all of this you still haven't disproved my point that he has given more shots to young players than any other Ranger coach in recent memory.
I think he did a swell job of disproving your point that he has given shots you youth more than any other Rangers coach.

A shot is not 2 games on the 4th line for 5 minutes a game.

Immonen got a shot and did not fare so well.

Dawes never got a shot this year

Callahan never got a shot this year

Liffiton never got a shot this year

Dubinsky never got a shot this year

Tyutin was worked in slowly (Pre Renney)

Lundqvist was the BEST goalie not in the NHL, it would have taken a total idiot not to play him, matte of fact it took half an effing year for Renney to realize what we all already knew that Lundqvist was better and the better option than Weekes last year.

I also think that TB pretty much explained why Prucha got his shot. He wasn't that much better than his teammates in camp that Renney had to play him. The fact is that that is something that Renney has never done here in NY.

Your argument that Renney has given youth a shot here in NY is so full of holes, that I will from here on out until eternity refer to you as Swiss Cheese

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I think he did a swell job of disproving your point that he has given shots you youth more than any other Rangers coach.

A shot is not 2 games on the 4th line for 5 minutes a game.

Immonen got a shot and did not fare so well.

Dawes never got a shot this year

Callahan never got a shot this year

Liffiton never got a shot this year

Dubinsky never got a shot this year

Tyutin was worked in slowly (Pre Renney)

Lundqvist was the BEST goalie not in the NHL, it would have taken a total idiot not to play him, matte of fact it took half an effing year for Renney to realize what we all already knew that Lundqvist was better and the better option than Weekes last year.

I also think that TB pretty much explained why Prucha got his shot. He wasn't that much better than his teammates in camp that Renney had to play him. The fact is that that is something that Renney has never done here in NY.

Your argument that Renney has given youth a shot here in NY is so full of holes, that I will from here on out until eternity refer to you as Swiss Cheese

Ok where did you or he name me a Rangers coach in the last 10 years that has given more kids a shot? Neither of you, you both just sit here and bash Renney over the same stuff.

He has stuck with Hossa through the whole year. IF Hossa turns into the player he can become he deserves credit. He stuck with him when the now Hossa fans were calling for him to be waived. I would much rather a big kid like Hossa with the same amount of offensive potential than Dawes when we already have Prucha and other schrimps out there. I still say he made a good decision there.

Tyutin has made steady strides in his development so I don't get what ur saying about this whole pre Renney thing.

Callahan got a look to see if he could hang if there were injuries. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Wasn't there a long break for the pack when that call up happened? It was just a look and I think Cally knew that coming in.

Prucha made the team and was sent to the minors for a few games and was called back up after which he stuck. I mean whats so wrong with that? This is how a lot of young players break into the league. Considering Renney knew about this kid long before we seen him and was talking about him I think he knows what he's doing with Prucha. 30 goal rookie seasons don't happen with a coach that doesn't give you a shot.

Again my arguement is he has given younger players more chances than any other coach in my recent memory. And still you or anyone else hasn't given a name of a NYR coach who has.

Old
02-26-2007, 04:44 PM
shoothepuck
NY Raiders AMNRL

Renney is not a good coach, and he proves it every night in NY. His lack of ability to motivate, his innabilty to adjust to changes in the game, his non-use of player accountability, his senseless benching of non-offending players, his poor line choices/combo's, his mis-use of players, (placement of players, in positions where they cannot succeed), his getting outcoached nightly, his ect, ect. Yes, Sather gave him the players he has, but he is the Coach. He has not been able to get anything going on a consistant level, since last season. His team did nothing in the playoffs. His team has not addressed any of the major problems they had from last season. While he is not the one on the ice, he is the one who puts the players and crappy line combos out there. He is the one who dosen't make the correct adjustments as the game goes on. He is the one that is responsible for the game plan. He is the one who hasn't set the tone for his players. He is the one who preps them in practice. This is not his first tenure as an NHL head coach, he should be better, he's not.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
Renney is not a good coach, and he proves it every night in NY. His lack of ability to motivate, his innabilty to adjust to changes in the game, his non-use of player accountability, his senseless benching of non-offending players, his poor line choices/combo's, his mis-use of players, (placement of players, in positions where they cannot succeed), his getting outcoached nightly, his ect, ect. Yes, Sather gave him the players he has, but he is the Coach. He has not been able to get anything going on a consistant level, since last season. His team did nothing in the playoffs. His team has not addressed any of the major problems they had from last season. While he is not the one on the ice, he is the one who puts the players and crappy line combos out there. He is the one who dosen't make the correct adjustments as the game goes on. He is the one that is responsible for the game plan. He is the one who hasn't set the tone for his players. He is the one who preps them in practice. This is not his first tenure as an NHL head coach, he should be better, he's not.
Does Renney tell Nylander to pass from a prime shooting spot right in front of the net? I doubt it.

Does Renney tell Malik to pinch up at the worst possible time? I really doubt he would considering Malik is one of the slowest D we have.

Does Renney tell Lundqvist to go down early and allow two pretty weak SH goals in a big game? Don't think so

Ya think Renney tells the PP to over pass the puck?

Is it Renney who hits the back boards with thier shots or is that the players?

Is it Renney who has failed to get one really young exciting offensive player in here during now a 3rd year of "rebuilding" when all of our rivals in the division is doing just that?

It is Renneys fault that he has been forced to use guys like Betts and others out of position because the team has no 2nd line center and still doesn't? Betts has size atleast and can keep up skating wise so I can see why he was used there.

My point is the fault of the failure of this season doesn't not fall on Renney's head, rather the GM who built the team and the players who failed to execute.

Old
02-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Fletch

One thing I will say about Tyutin...

is I was much more impressed during the first 1/4 - 1/3 of the season than the last month. Less intense, but it also seems often his role is decreased. He's less noticeable than in the beginning of the season.

Radek - I honestly do not know what is your point of 'Does Renney...'. He's the coach and he needs to have guys on the same page as him. If it's pinching, passing, shooting or playing a style of play, they need to be on the same page and that page comes down from the coach. If the PP is not shooting, he needs to demand shooting or change the guys out. If a guy's pinching too much to the detriment of the team, then he needs to set him straight or sit him down and replace him with a guy who will play his style. If Renney's not doing that, what is his job during the games, and what do they do in practice?

You look at a guy like Nolan - it seems as though every team (one year in an organization is one team, and the next is another team, for argument's sake) plays a similar style, and guys play hard and smart for him. Is it a coincidence that those are the type of players he's always coaching, or does coaching have something to do with it? I think it's the latter, and that's what an effective coach does.

Look, I actually think Renney is a smart hockey guy. I do also think that Renney's job is up in the booth somewhere analyzing the game, watching players on the farm, and giving feedback to decision makers. He knows what's wrong and what goes right, typically, but too often doesn't know how to fix it. Many, or most, will argue he doesn't have the tools to fix it. Me, I think it's somewhere in the middle and will reiterate, this team should be somewhere around where PITT is in the standings, not where Boston is. They may wind up in a playoff spot, and that's great, but right now, I don't see any reason why they should not be faring better at this point.

Old
02-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Fletch

One other thing...

on Sather - I do fault him on a couple things. First, this team needed Savard (and I thought he was going for a decent price, and a decent term for a 29 year old). Unfortuantely, when you have nearly $6MM tied up in Kaspar and Ozo, it makes it tough to sign a guy like Savard, and I fault Sather for that. There were a couple other moves/non-moves, but again, the roster that started this season should've competed better this season. Again, just my opinion. It wasn't perfect, and they weren't world beaters, or even a team that you say would make noise in the playoffs, but given what they had, they should be in a better position. There are numerous examples that make you scratch your head (like allowing Shanny to go 16 games without a PP goal while Prucha's wasting on the second unit after netter 16 in 68 games - just as an example).

Old
02-26-2007, 06:50 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Does Renney tell Lundqvist to go down early and allow two pretty weak SH goals in a big game? Don't think so
I'm still getting a kick out of this one. Weak top-shelf goals, huh?

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I'm still getting a kick out of this one. Weak top-shelf goals, huh?
You should get a double kick cause there were two of them. Or you think a shot taken on top of the circles above the goalies shoulder a non weak top shelf goal? Oh yeah, giving up back to back shorties is Renney's fault.

Old
02-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Radek - I honestly do not know what is your point of 'Does Renney...'. He's the coach and he needs to have guys on the same page as him. If it's pinching, passing, shooting or playing a style of play, they need to be on the same page and that page comes down from the coach. If the PP is not shooting, he needs to demand shooting or change the guys out. If a guy's pinching too much to the detriment of the team, then he needs to set him straight or sit him down and replace him with a guy who will play his style. If Renney's not doing that, what is his job during the games, and what do they do in practice?

I remember Renney having it out with Jagr more than once about the powerplay. I also remember him sitting Malik for his mistakes same for Ward. He has called for more shots not only on the PP but at even strength, again the players don't listen, atleast don't do it for the whole 60 mins in order to get the 2 points in a game.
And saying sit a guy is a lot easier said than done. Sit Nylander? People are thinkin he's an idiot for putting Betts on the 2nd line, imagine if he sat Nylander and put Betts or Krog one the first line? Saying sit them is nice and all, but if your team doesn't have the depth to do something like that, which the Rangers don't, then it's a moot point.

Old
02-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Fletch

He did have it out with Jagr...

this year and last season...he told the media the PP needs to shoot more...Jagr says it didn't and the PP didn't look different the next game either time...is that what a coach is supposed to do? I dunno, doesn't sound like coaching to me...

Old
02-26-2007, 07:53 PM
blandBob

There is absolutely waaay too much attention and focus on this board given to the NYR roster. Geez, we all know this team has some talent. The amount of analysis that goes on about the mix of players, their effect on each other, etc...well, why not just get an ouija board?
It ain't that mysterious. If we could deal with the real problem, we'd get a friggin' hands on coach who gets the job done. Period. Just read the comments at http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/
It told me what I have long suspected, coach Tom is
not a bad guy
not dumb
not an NHL-calibre coach.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 11:49 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
You should get a double kick cause there were two of them. Or you think a shot taken on top of the circles above the goalies shoulder a non weak top shelf goal? Oh yeah, giving up back to back shorties is Renney's fault.
Dude, when people call Lundqvist a God, they aren't being literal. You cannot stop every shot. Top shelf goals are hard to stop, do you understand that fact? Here's a lesson: Almost every goalie in this league plays the Butterfly style of goaltending. The idea is to get down low and block the highest percentage of shots which are, anyone? That's right, low. Rick Nash, a natural goal scorer, was given time and space to pick his spot. He picked the far right corner just inside the crossbar. That is just a goal that you don't stop unless you are maybe God or a superhero. Now if Henrik stayed on his feet which you so wisely predict would stop that sissy shot, he would have been 5-holed because, anyone? That's right, Rick Nash is a natural goal scorer. Dude, Nash would have made Henrik look silly if he stayed up. These premier players pick their spots, they don't close their eyes really tight and shoot at the goalie's logo. They look at what the goalie gives them and get excited like prom night when they see a fat open space between the goalie's legs. I'm sick of this constant blaming of the goalie on these impossible shots. Give me a break. It's just so easy to blame the one guy, that's all there is to it.

How's this for ya, Do you think Renney tells his defense to play the puck or take the body? Cause I bet if he told Rachunek to take the body or at least protect the middle of the ice for god's sake that would not have been a goal. If Renney could teach these guys the proper way to play sound positional defense at least 2 goals aren't scored. Or maybe he shouldn't have scratched Ward in favor of Rachunek who was battling the flu. But you have already established that Renney is infalible. So it must be the goalie.

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 01:20 AM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Dude, when people call Lundqvist a God, they aren't being literal. You cannot stop every shot. Top shelf goals are hard to stop, do you understand that fact? Here's a lesson: Almost every goalie in this league plays the Butterfly style of goaltending. The idea is to get down low and block the highest percentage of shots which are, anyone? That's right, low. Rick Nash, a natural goal scorer, was given time and space to pick his spot. He picked the far right corner just inside the crossbar. That is just a goal that you don't stop unless you are maybe God or a superhero. Now if Henrik stayed on his feet which you so wisely predict would stop that sissy shot, he would have been 5-holed because, anyone? That's right, Rick Nash is a natural goal scorer. Dude, Nash would have made Henrik look silly if he stayed up. These premier players pick their spots, they don't close their eyes really tight and shoot at the goalie's logo. They look at what the goalie gives them and get excited like prom night when they see a fat open space between the goalie's legs. I'm sick of this constant blaming of the goalie on these impossible shots. Give me a break. It's just so easy to blame the one guy, that's all there is to it.

How's this for ya, Do you think Renney tells his defense to play the puck or take the body? Cause I bet if he told Rachunek to take the body or at least protect the middle of the ice for god's sake that would not have been a goal. If Renney could teach these guys the proper way to play sound positional defense at least 2 goals aren't scored. Or maybe he shouldn't have scratched Ward in favor of Rachunek who was battling the flu. But you have already established that Renney is infalible. So it must be the goalie.
I never tried to put the blame on any one players shoulders. I am putting the blame on all the players on how they play as a team. You are 100% right that Rachunek made a terrible play, did Renney tell him to do that like you suggest I doubt it, but just a terrible decision by Karl. Who is it that works with the D? Pelino? I'm sure he told Rachunek to give him the middle there sure, just mental mistakes. I think Hank is one of the reasons we even still have a shot at getting in, he's been pretty good since the All-Star break.

Old
02-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Fletch

Radek...

in your opinion, what is the coach's job and at what point do you say the coach is the problem? It's obviously a tough question and there are two sides to every story, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this since it's germain to this conversation.

But again, if Rachunek is making mistakes, you do not increase his minutes, you decrease his minutes, and you sure as heck do not sit Ward in favor of him. There are a lot of curious decisions that have been made, but all along, Renney seems to talk like he has a handle on what's going on, but to me, dcesn't always know how to fix it, and sure as heck can't motivate his players to get up for games, something I believe other coaches can do.