HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

GDT: 2/25 Pack @ Tigers - 3:00pm

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2007, 04:31 PM
  #76
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
If Hugh had an assist, He would have had a Gordie Howe Hat Trick.
back to back nights too.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:31 PM
  #77
lundy
Registered User
 
lundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,589
vCash: 500
Montoya is incredibly solid. I was just looking at the top 5 goalies in the ahl this year, and he is the only legit prospect of the bunch (if you don't include Halak). I'm loving it,and as much as I love Henrik, I'd love to see what Al could do for the Rangers too. The next great American goalie it seems.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:33 PM
  #78
romba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to romba
Found a home video of Montoya's fight from yesterday. Kinda shakey but still good stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qa4NA5bBY8

There are some other ones just check youtube.

romba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:34 PM
  #79
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
If Hugh had an assist, He would have had a Gordie Howe Hat Trick.
Please please please!! I hope Jessiman contines this surge from down below, so you can get your due internet manliness back and write to Rodent. Maybe he'll even get called up?!

__________________
DRAFTBUZZ HOCKEY
2015 NHL Draft Preliminary Ranking
Twitter
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:35 PM
  #80
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,930
vCash: 500
Rangers going to be in a tough spot with Montoya... In my opinion, going with both of them isnt possible long term, so they are going to have to decide which is the guy...

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:41 PM
  #81
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Rangers going to be in a tough spot with Montoya... In my opinion, going with both of them isnt possible long term, so they are going to have to decide which is the guy...
They can wait another year before they need to really have to start thinking which way to go. It looks like Al may be ready to back up Henrik next year, and the team can wait until at least next summer to make a move.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:42 PM
  #82
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,225
vCash: 500
With all the injury problems he's had so far Montoya should probably not go out looking for too many of these. One thing if the other goalie gets involved--otherwise forget it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:46 PM
  #83
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
Montoya is incredibly solid. I was just looking at the top 5 goalies in the ahl this year, and he is the only legit prospect of the bunch (if you don't include Halak). I'm loving it,and as much as I love Henrik, I'd love to see what Al could do for the Rangers too. The next great American goalie it seems.
Well Halak is just about the same age as Monty, so I see no reason not to consider him a legit prospect.

lets not get overboard with montoya here. I love that he's aquired some consistency, but I think 'next great american goalie' might be stretching it. Let him play out the year in hartford and see if he can win the backup job next year, though I wouldn't be adverse to giving him a cup of coffee at the end of the year if we're really out of it. Remember, neither Lundqvist or Al hit UFA for some time. So yes, eventually one has to be moved, but we could probably hold onto both for up to 2 more years beofre that decision is made.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:47 PM
  #84
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
back to back nights too.
I love it, but I need more than 2 games.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:49 PM
  #85
DarthSather99
Registered User
 
DarthSather99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I wrote Jessiman off a long time ago, and I'm going to need to see ALOT more than these two games to be convinced otherwise, but I"ll say this for the guy: he's certainly seizing his opertunity. At this point in his career Hugh just has to worry about making himself a force on the ice, whether it's by throwing his weight around, fighting, or scoring goals, he needs to make himself needed. Right now it sounds like he's doing that. GOod for him, I would LOVE to be proven wrong.
I think you'll have to wait another 2-3 years to see Jessiman make an impact. I'm willing to wait.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:52 PM
  #86
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
I think you'll have to wait another 2-3 years to see Jessiman make an impact. I'm willing to wait.
He seems to be playing with an unreal sense of urgency. The thing is, will he really be this way for 2-3 years until his game progresses? I can see him playing like this for another week or two. I hope he proves me wrong.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:52 PM
  #87
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
I think you'll have to wait another 2-3 years to see Jessiman make an impact. I'm willing to wait.
I agree. IF hugh makes it we're looking at a good long wait. Considering that I've already written him off anyway, it doesn't really matter to me. Anything we get out of Jessiman at this point is a pleasant suprise.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:53 PM
  #88
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
Staal can't play for the Pack or the Rangers until his junior season is over.

Yeah I know...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:09 PM
  #89
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Yeah I know...
I'm sorry, it's just that the way you phrased your comment was a bit curious. It sounded like you thought Staal was playing for the wolfpack now, I didn't meen to insult.

And I doubt that Staal will be looked over because the wolfpack need him, whether or not he's brought to the big club will depend on how much he can help them. If renney and maloney think he's ready to contribute at the top level then he might be brought up, but much will also depend on the ranger's postiion in the standings at the time.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:33 PM
  #90
HenrikO'doyle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Not only does this team sound more exciting than the Rangers(Id love to see some called up) but the whole AHL seems more exciting than the NHL. It seems like old time hockey, one day I'll head to Hartford and catch a game.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:43 PM
  #91
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I'm sorry, it's just that the way you phrased your comment was a bit curious. It sounded like you thought Staal was playing for the wolfpack now, I didn't meen to insult.

And I doubt that Staal will be looked over because the wolfpack need him, whether or not he's brought to the big club will depend on how much he can help them. If renney and maloney think he's ready to contribute at the top level then he might be brought up, but much will also depend on the ranger's postiion in the standings at the time.
I know he didn't look so great last year on the Pack...

I don't follow Sudbury very closely but what's their playoff situation look like?

If the Pack are playing well, I don't want to see their chemistry upset...

I'd rather see Staal up here.... Any chance we could see Pyatt or Dupont on either the Wolfpack or teh Rangers if their respective teams get bounced early? I know it's unlikely but one can dream....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:50 PM
  #92
RedLightDistrict
Registered User
 
RedLightDistrict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
nice solid game tonite...Finally seeing what i always wanted from hugh.

BTW, I've been out for a while...FLY, when'd they name you an agent? You're part of the system now buddy

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:16 PM
  #93
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
Please please please!! I hope Jessiman contines this surge from down below, so you can get your due internet manliness back and write to Rodent. Maybe he'll even get called up?!

The next time the Rodent picks up a hockey stick, it will be his first. I doubt the Rodent has ever watched Hugh Jessiman play. For that matter the rodent lives out of town and is too cheap to buy the Center Ice Package. He only watches the Rangers in 60 on MSG. I had a feeling about this guy. Big, Strong, can skate and has soft hands. I really think he will take his game to the next level. Has a possibilty of being the next Adam Graves. In this Division, especially playing against the Devils, we need big time Power Forwards. Creative players have a hard time against Trapping type teams unless there name is Sidney Crosby. We need some big bodies with soft hands to pick up the rebound and deflection Goals.

I dont know if the Rodent understands this concept. The Rodent is talented Mathematician, I bet his real job is in the Actuarial Sciences. So the Rodent just looks at numbers and really doesnt understand What it takes to Stand in the Slot and take real punisment. He is kind of like those new wave GMs in Baseball who make decisions by looking at a computer printout.

The NHL is more than just numbers. Its about Matchups and why some teams match better than others against other teams. If we are ever going to get over the hump and be better than the Devils, we have to develop Power Forwards. Again, I just had a feeling that this kid was ready to turn on the light switch. Something Computer printouts dont show.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:25 PM
  #94
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
The next time the Rodent picks up a hockey stick, it will be his first. I doubt the Rodent has ever watched Hugh Jessiman play. For that matter the rodent lives out of town and is too cheap to buy the Center Ice Package. He only watches the Rangers in 60 on MSG. I had a feeling about this guy. Big, Strong, can skate and has soft hands. I really think he will take his game to the next level. Has a possibilty of being the next Adam Graves. In this Division, especially playing against the Devils, we need big time Power Forwards. Creative players have a hard time against Trapping type teams unless there name is Sidney Crosby. We need some big bodies with soft hands to pick up the rebound and deflection Goals.

I dont know if the Rodent understands this concept. The Rodent is talented Mathematician, I bet his real job is in the Actuarial Sciences. So the Rodent just looks at numbers and really doesnt understand What it takes to Stand in the Slot and take real punisment. He is kind of like those new wave GMs in Baseball who make decisions by looking at a computer printout.

The NHL is more than just numbers. Its about Matchups and why some teams match better than others against other teams. If we are ever going to get over the hump and be better than the Devils, we have to develop Power Forwards. Again, I just had a feeling that this kid was ready to turn on the light switch. Something Computer printouts dont show.
I think we should wait a little longer than 2 games before declaring Hugh Jessiman a great pick. But I really hope you're right about him...it's just too painful watching the likes of parise scoring on us every night.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:26 PM
  #95
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
The next time the Rodent picks up a hockey stick, it will be his first. I doubt the Rodent has ever watched Hugh Jessiman play. For that matter the rodent lives out of town and is too cheap to buy the Center Ice Package. He only watches the Rangers in 60 on MSG. I had a feeling about this guy. Big, Strong, can skate and has soft hands. I really think he will take his game to the next level. Has a possibilty of being the next Adam Graves. In this Division, especially playing against the Devils, we need big time Power Forwards. Creative players have a hard time against Trapping type teams unless there name is Sidney Crosby. We need some big bodies with soft hands to pick up the rebound and deflection Goals.

I dont know if the Rodent understands this concept. The Rodent is talented Mathematician, I bet his real job is in the Actuarial Sciences. So the Rodent just looks at numbers and really doesnt understand What it takes to Stand in the Slot and take real punisment. He is kind of like those new wave GMs in Baseball who make decisions by looking at a computer printout.

The NHL is more than just numbers. Its about Matchups and why some teams match better than others against other teams. If we are ever going to get over the hump and be better than the Devils, we have to develop Power Forwards. Again, I just had a feeling that this kid was ready to turn on the light switch. Something Computer printouts dont show.
I actually don't think there was anything wrong with your suggestion. Hugh can keep up with the pace of the NHL skating wise and he's a big boy. Bring him up, put him in Orr's spot, and tell him to hit everything that moves. If he shows he can handle the puck at NHL speed, and shows good awareness, tell him he will be moved up. Some guys just react differently to different levels of hockey.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:33 PM
  #96
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Ragazzone

I dont want to bring him up to play the 4th line. Hugh needs a creative Center to play with. Hugh wont do a thing offensively playing with Blair Betts.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:36 PM
  #97
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,786
vCash: 500
id rather hugh develop an all around game in the minors before he is brought up. Look at Korpikoski for example. many people on this board wanted him on the everyday lineup because its clear he could play a competent regular 4th line wing (perhaps even 3rd line wing). then again some of us wanted him to develop his game further in the minors and become more than just a 3rd or 4th liner. His recent offensive explosion is clearly showing the time spent in the AHL has helped his game leaps and bounds.

lets face it, Marcel Hossa was taking an absolute beating from this board, led by yours truly for being nothing more than a 3rd or 4th liner. whereas the ability to be more was there. Credit Renney for keeping him in the lineup, but its very possible his game could have developed much faster in the AHL, unfortunately im fairly sure he would have had to pass through waivers to play down there so he was forced to learn on the job.

If anything a guy like Hugh could use another 2 years in the minors, and a guy like Korpikoski another 1.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:27 AM
  #98
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,907
vCash: 500
I agree. The last thing we want to do is rush the prospects we have. They are just beginning to show us the potential they have as a group. That is crucial to long term success IMO. Let them stay together and develop a little unit chemistry. They will learn more positive things in Hartford right now than in New York.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.