HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jessiman looks like a different player.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2007, 07:54 AM
  #26
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
Scratching my head here because the Rangers had 40+ shots tonight and outshot the BlueJackets by a large margin, which is somewhat scary considering how many times the Rangers missed the net. I'm pretty sure the Rangers outshot the Devils by a significant margin both games as well.The shooting-a-lot-and-scoring as WolfPack trait is pretty recent, too. Despite their dominant play of late, the Pack have the 6th worst offense in the AHL (up from 2nd worst 2 weeks ago).

Feel free to criticize the Rangers, as they certainly deserve it, but not for that.
yesterday was an exception though. they had 40 shots on goal for the 6th time all year, but they have had less than 30 on 30 occassions, 25 or less on 12

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:46 PM
  #27
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Good hopefully he's on his way up here sometime soon

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:50 PM
  #28
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Good hopefully he's on his way up here sometime soon
after two games of good AHL play you want to bring him up? There are about 10 guys on that team, if not more, that are ahead of him for a call up. Let me see Hugh give me this kind of play for a year and then he'll have earned a look.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:54 PM
  #29
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
after two games of good AHL play you want to bring him up? There are about 10 guys on that team, if not more, that are ahead of him for a call up. Let me see Hugh give me this kind of play for a year and then he'll have earned a look.
Yep, I cannot see him sustaining this passionate play for that much longer. A guy like Callahan, yes. But what truly scares me about Jessiman is his Dartmouth education and father's investment firm. Most prospects do not have that cushion and cannot afford to have their commitment, passion, and dedication taper off.

__________________
DRAFTBUZZ HOCKEY
Scouting the 2015 NHL Draft and Futures
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:01 PM
  #30
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
Yep, I cannot see him sustaining this passionate play for that much longer. A guy like Callahan, yes. But what truly scares me about Jessiman is his Dartmouth education and father's investment firm. Most prospects do not have that cushion and cannot afford to have their commitment, passion, and dedication taper off.
grrrrrr, after friday night I don't want to hear anything about dartmouth .


as for hugh, I'm not so worried about his commitment as his ability to keep up with the speed of the game at the pro level. His mind, (hockey mind that is, on ice and off the ice inteligance are very differant things) has always been his week point.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:08 PM
  #31
caldercup0
Registered User
 
caldercup0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hartford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 721
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to caldercup0
Not to take anything away from a good couple of games by Hugh Jessiman, but I guarentee that you could take a two game stretch from almost any player who's ever played hockey and make him look like a fantastic player.

I'll admit that Jessiman played a decent game on Saturday. But, when Jessiman was up with the Wolf Pack at the start of the season, he had a point in each of his first three games. He then had two points total in his next 22 games.

Even Jeff Toms had a hat trick.

If he can keep up this level of play, he may turn into a great player. He needs to show it in a lot more than two consecutive games though.

caldercup0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:04 PM
  #32
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,004
vCash: 500
.....Yeah, I agree. Let's see what he's doing at say 10-15 games. I don't want to down on the guy, but Hugh has a lot to prove. I'm glad he's doing well, let's see him keep it up. I'd pretty much written him off so I'd love to be proven wrong.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:31 PM
  #33
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldercup0 View Post
Not to take anything away from a good couple of games by Hugh Jessiman, but I guarentee that you could take a two game stretch from almost any player who's ever played hockey and make him look like a fantastic player.

I'll admit that Jessiman played a decent game on Saturday. But, when Jessiman was up with the Wolf Pack at the start of the season, he had a point in each of his first three games. He then had two points total in his next 22 games.

Even Jeff Toms had a hat trick.

If he can keep up this level of play, he may turn into a great player. He needs to show it in a lot more than two consecutive games though.
he definitely needs to keep it up and show that he can do it every night but it sure is nice to finally have some positive news about him for a change. the 3 games this weekend don't undo the last 2 years and don't suddenly make him nhl ready but it sure beats reading reports saying he sucks.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 02:00 AM
  #34
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
A Cup of Coffee cant hurt. Might give him more inspiration to get to big time.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 10:29 AM
  #35
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
A Cup of Coffee cant hurt. Might give him more inspiration to get to big time.
Yeah it can, especially this early in the game after finally making his way back to Hartford.

Another demotion could be a complete confidence destroyer for him, and make him even less passionate than he was when he first appeared in the AHL.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 11:07 AM
  #36
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldercup0 View Post
Not to take anything away from a good couple of games by Hugh Jessiman, but I guarentee that you could take a two game stretch from almost any player who's ever played hockey and make him look like a fantastic player.

I'll admit that Jessiman played a decent game on Saturday. But, when Jessiman was up with the Wolf Pack at the start of the season, he had a point in each of his first three games. He then had two points total in his next 22 games.

Even Jeff Toms had a hat trick.

If he can keep up this level of play, he may turn into a great player. He needs to show it in a lot more than two consecutive games though.
I'm quite sure that everyone hear understands this.

Forgive Ranger faithful for having a little optimism towards a prospect widely regarded as the biggest gaffe of the 2003 draft.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:46 PM
  #37
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
after two games of good AHL play you want to bring him up? There are about 10 guys on that team, if not more, that are ahead of him for a call up. Let me see Hugh give me this kind of play for a year and then he'll have earned a look.
Not yet but good to see he is headed in the right direction. If he can toughen up he could really help this team

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 01:02 PM
  #38
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,677
vCash: 500
No surprises on Korpi, this is a guy i've been touting since day one.

Hugh needs to show me he knows theres a beginning, middle and an ending to a full Pro season. It's good news to see him improving on his dismal start, improvement is a good thing, just have to see him keep his game at this level before i'm convinced of anything.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 01:44 PM
  #39
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
grrrrrr, after friday night I don't want to hear anything about dartmouth .


as for hugh, I'm not so worried about his commitment as his ability to keep up with the speed of the game at the pro level. His mind, (hockey mind that is, on ice and off the ice inteligance are very differant things) has always been his week point.
I agree, I've never had any questions about Hugh's efforts. It's the speed of higher level hockey that always seems to be a problem.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 04:59 PM
  #40
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
No surprises on Korpi, this is a guy i've been touting since day one.

Hugh needs to show me he knows theres a beginning, middle and an ending to a full Pro season. It's good news to see him improving on his dismal start, improvement is a good thing, just have to see him keep his game at this level before i'm convinced of anything.
I guess I'm some what relieved that he's starting to put things together. The talk about him on draft day was so positive I was wondering if he could live up to it. Now we're beginning to see his game head in the right direction.

I think it's really important for the young guys to see each others game start to develop. If your his team mate, I would think it would be motivating to see Korps begin to take his game to another level after struggling to start the year. That to me is another reason to let these guys stay together at least a bit longer.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 05:18 AM
  #41
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Huge Speciman scores another goal last nite.

The Rodent is a genius.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:54 AM
  #42
MontanaTrout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
He can play

The kid can play. Saw him last night. He's exploding off the bench playing like it's his last shift. That's what he needed. And he's looking to hit someone. He keeps that up and he'll get more ice time. Simple as that. Has to sustain it for sure this time round.

MontanaTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:06 PM
  #43
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Huge Speciman scores another goal last nite.

The Rodent is a genius.
Why because he called you out on a ridiculous remark? Come on man. He plays three good games after playing most of the year in the ECHL and suddenly he supercedes the Callahan's, Dawes', and Dubinsky's in the system? Lick your wounds and be done with it already. Rodent was snarky, yes, but I don't think Jessimen's meteoric rise to AHL superstardom in 3 games suddenly qualifies him for a cup of coffee. This guy has had major, critical issues with higher level games. If he is starting to "blossom" why not just let him enjoy what he's doing in the AHL before casting him up to the big boys to sink or swim.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:10 PM
  #44
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,456
vCash: 500
Actually...

watching Hugh, it's really tough to determine what the problem is. He can keep up with the game, at least physically. He really just hasn't been able to put it together. There were games earlier in the season where he looked quite good. He skated well, he took the body, he got shots off. Then there were games in which he was totally invisible. Nobody's questioned his work ethic and he's always seemed to have a good head, but he just can't keep it up for long stretches. Call it mental lapses or whatever. Or who knows, maybe with Isbister and Immonen up, he's getting a chance with better players and actually taking advantage of it. Who knows, this is a tough one. He does need to finish the season like this for him to get back in the good graces.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:15 PM
  #45
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc
 
Capitain Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United Nations
Posts: 629
vCash: 500
I was ice-level for the game last night and I was watching Jessiman to see how involved he was away from the puck.

He looked lost...espcially on breakouts. He was the first person on the forecheck (ie the guy who just stands infront of the goalie) and he just seemed to make circles.

I was not impressed...oh by the way..the goal was a shuffleboard style shot...he just reached out and slide it by Parise Junior.

He did have a major center ice hit...wowaweewee...

Capitain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:38 PM
  #46
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Midnight View Post
I was ice-level for the game last night and I was watching Jessiman to see how involved he was away from the puck.

He looked lost...espcially on breakouts. He was the first person on the forecheck (ie the guy who just stands infront of the goalie) and he just seemed to make circles.

I was not impressed...oh by the way..the goal was a shuffleboard style shot...he just reached out and slide it by Parise Junior.

He did have a major center ice hit...wowaweewee...
Unfortunatly that's a lot of what I've seen and hope he can overcome.

At this point you hope he can sustain momentumn to finish the season and have confidence going into the preseason. At the very least that gives him something to START with.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:01 PM
  #47
Taz
Registered User
 
Taz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Letchworth
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,235
vCash: 500
I just love that fact he is huge, fights but can skate and has decent technical skills. I hope he can make it to the show even as a 3rd or 4th liner with an edge. Never give up on young guys unless it is painfully clear

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:35 PM
  #48
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
watching Hugh, it's really tough to determine what the problem is. He can keep up with the game, at least physically. He really just hasn't been able to put it together. There were games earlier in the season where he looked quite good. He skated well, he took the body, he got shots off. Then there were games in which he was totally invisible. Nobody's questioned his work ethic and he's always seemed to have a good head, but he just can't keep it up for long stretches. Call it mental lapses or whatever. Or who knows, maybe with Isbister and Immonen up, he's getting a chance with better players and actually taking advantage of it. Who knows, this is a tough one. He does need to finish the season like this for him to get back in the good graces.
To be honest, I thought Jessiman outplayed Byers early in the year in HFD. Hugh defenitly didn't stink in the AHL, you know for a 3rd/4th lineer. He defenitly would have made it as a 3-4 line winger on many teams, and probably as a 2nd line winger on some of the bad teams.

Though I think the decision to send him to the ECHL were made to try to get his offensive game really gooing. Hugh must get more involved with the puck, he is so strong that if he got into the game on a intellectual level he could protect the puck really well and create offense on a regular basis that way.

It will be interesting to see what happends with Jessiman, I've said all along that I would be suprised if he never even got a shot in the NHL, here or elsewhere. He is a natrual talent, not many people with his size moves as well as he does. His stride have always looked really good. If he can get alittle more jump, and give it 100% in the AHL for 3-4 more years I wonder if someone won't give him a shot.

In the end for me, Jessiman have kind of started to smell like Alexander Daigle. With some guys it just seems like it isn't much fun to play the game. The pressure got to him. Having fun playing hockey must be like the only common factor all players in the NHL have, not smile fun, but in a addicting way. At times it seems like Jessiman have to motivate himself to give it his all for a entire shift.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:41 PM
  #49
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
I just love that fact he is huge, fights but can skate and has decent technical skills. I hope he can make it to the show even as a 3rd or 4th liner with an edge. Never give up on young guys unless it is painfully clear
Unfortunatly that's where the Rangers strength is right now and just like Jason Ward with the Habs that would still be a huge disappointment. No pun intended.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:44 PM
  #50
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
To be honest, I thought Jessiman outplayed Byers early in the year in HFD. Hugh defenitly didn't stink in the AHL, you know for a 3rd/4th lineer. He defenitly would have made it as a 3-4 line winger on many teams, and probably as a 2nd line winger on some of the bad teams.

Though I think the decision to send him to the ECHL were made to try to get his offensive game really gooing. Hugh must get more involved with the puck, he is so strong that if he got into the game on a intellectual level he could protect the puck really well and create offense on a regular basis that way.

It will be interesting to see what happends with Jessiman, I've said all along that I would be suprised if he never even got a shot in the NHL, here or elsewhere. He is a natrual talent, not many people with his size moves as well as he does. His stride have always looked really good. If he can get alittle more jump, and give it 100% in the AHL for 3-4 more years I wonder if someone won't give him a shot.

In the end for me, Jessiman have kind of started to smell like Alexander Daigle. With some guys it just seems like it isn't much fun to play the game. The pressure got to him. Having fun playing hockey must be like the only common factor all players in the NHL have, not smile fun, but in a addicting way. At times it seems like Jessiman have to motivate himself to give it his all for a entire shift.
I dunno I don't think it's motivation really.

I can see Hugh possibly having a Jason Ward like evolution. For a team that maybe signs him as a 25 or 26 year old it'd be a "nice" move. For the team that took him as a high pick in a deep draft, it'll be a disappointment.

But I can easily see the parable there.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.