HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

New York Rangers at Edmonton Oilers 3/30/14

View Poll Results: 3 stars pls
Cam Talbot 62 53.45%
Brad Richards 1 0.86%
Carl Hagelin 1 0.86%
Benoit Pouliot 7 6.03%
Derek Stepan 73 62.93%
Rick Nash 85 73.28%
Mats Zuccarello 96 82.76%
Derrick Brassard 8 6.90%
Derek Dorsett 2 1.72%
Dan Carcillo 4 3.45%
Dom Moore 5 4.31%
Brian Boyle 2 1.72%
Ryan McDonagh 5 4.31%
Dan Girardi 1 0.86%
Anton Stralman 7 6.03%
Marc Staal 2 1.72%
Kevin Klein 1 0.86%
Rafael Diaz 5 4.31%
Martin St. Louis 2 1.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2014, 12:32 AM
  #76
gardenparty
Registered User
 
gardenparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
This might be the best goaltending tandem we've had since Giacomin - Villemure. I know he hasn't faced a lot of elite teams and pressure cooker situations, but Talbot has been outstanding positionally. Rebound control might the only issue I have but that's a minor quibble. He recovers so well.

gardenparty is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 12:32 AM
  #77
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,218
vCash: 500
BTW am I seeing things or did MSL have a clear tap in on that play where the puck went through Scrivens and then he inexplicably stuck his stick between the pads? It almost looks like he's not scoring on purpose.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 12:32 AM
  #78
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer
 
Whoot Whoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,683
vCash: 500
Is anyone else here for NYR hockey? I could so do without the superlatives. This post above me demonstrates it well.

Whoot Whoot is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 12:39 AM
  #79
Problematique
Registered User
 
Problematique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
He's shutout Nashville, Montreal and Edmonton. He plays against easier competition. He's a great backup, but when AV started playing him consistently he crumbled agains the jets. He gives me the impression that he's just happy to be here backing up Hank. Give him a raise this offseason and keep him around.
He came within 15 seconds of shutting out the Hawks didn't he?

Sure he has faced some weaker opponents as all backups do, but he has become a valuable second fiddle to Hank.

Provided he stays, do you guys see him starting more often next year?

Problematique is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 12:43 AM
  #80
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
I'm glad someone finally said it if I did I would be called a dino...What really bothers me is Rongos...That's more disrespectful to me than Rags


Yeah it's ****ing stupid. Almost as stupid as poll names these days. I mean who the **** is Taco Bell and Carbomb.

darko is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 12:47 AM
  #81
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Problematique View Post
He came within 15 seconds of shutting out the Hawks didn't he?

Sure he has faced some weaker opponents as all backups do, but he has become a valuable second fiddle to Hank.

Provided he stays, do you guys see him starting more often next year?
Doubt it. He probably gets 20-odd games depending on the schedule with Hank doing the heavy lifting.

darko is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 01:02 AM
  #82
Raspewtin
Kreidizzle
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,025
vCash: 500
I love AV/Samuelsson's decision to put Nash and Zucc on the PK. Add's speed and danger to our already great PK.

Great to FINALLY see a PP goal, though it was a fluke. Good play by Pouliot though to set the screen, Scrivens had no chance.

Speaking of, so nice to finally blow out Ben "Hasek" Scrivens.

Stepan busted his ass all game and made some great defensive plays.

Zucc finally gets a goal. Hopefully gets him going again. Still think his hand is bothering him.

This is a win the Rangers needed. Glad they got it. Another shutout for Talgod.

__________________

Thank you boys
Raspewtin is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 01:12 AM
  #83
McSauer
Defense Wins Games
 
McSauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
I love AV/Samuelsson's decision to put Nash and Zucc on the PK. Add's speed and danger to our already great PK.

Great to FINALLY see a PP goal, though it was a fluke. Good play by Pouliot though to set the screen, Scrivens had no chance.

Speaking of, so nice to finally blow out Ben "Hasek" Scrivens.

Stepan busted his ass all game and made some great defensive plays.

Zucc finally gets a goal. Hopefully gets him going again. Still think his hand is bothering him.

This is a win the Rangers needed. Glad they got it. Another shutout for Talgod.
The curse of Ben Scrivens is over!

McSauer is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 01:15 AM
  #84
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 22,033
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
If my math is right. if we win 5 of our last 6 we're automatically in no matter what. This is assuming our chasers go on a massive win streak which i honestly can't see happening for any of them.

EDIT - 5 out of 6 for divisonal spot*

4 out of 6 or 3-3-1 for a gurantee playoff spot.


Last edited by FromTheSide: 03-31-2014 at 01:24 AM.
FromTheSide is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 01:15 AM
  #85
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 22,033
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSauer View Post
The curse of Ben Scrivens is over!
Now if they could conquer mount Varlamov when they dominate the avs and not lose like last time that'd be great.

FromTheSide is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 01:21 AM
  #86
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Now if they could conquer mount Varlamov when they dominate the avs and not lose like last time that'd be great.
That 5-1 loss was terrible, oh wait...

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 01:35 AM
  #87
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,807
vCash: 500
The Edmonton Oilers are proof that you can't always tank your way to a championship.

Inferno is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 01:39 AM
  #88
Rangerfan4life90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: College Point, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
The Edmonton Oilers are proof that you can't always tank your way to a championship.
I think it doesn't help that they tanked in the wrong years. Would they be this bad if they had Crosby and Malkin for instance? Or were able to get Crosby, AO/Malkin and Toews as their big three for example?

Then I start to think if the culture there is just bad luck. I mean 3 #1 overall picks (and another solid player in Eberle) and they're still in the running for another top pick this season? Sheesh.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 01:42 AM
  #89
Raspewtin
Kreidizzle
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,025
vCash: 500
Oh, and the Rangers are tied with the Blues for most road wins in the league now.

Raspewtin is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 01:43 AM
  #90
Greg02
Registered User
 
Greg02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
I think it doesn't help that they tanked in the wrong years. Would they be this bad if they had Crosby and Malkin for instance? Or were able to get Crosby, AO/Malkin and Toews as their big three for example?

Then I start to think if the culture there is just bad luck. I mean 3 #1 overall picks (and another solid player in Eberle) and they're still in the running for another top pick this season? Sheesh.
When it gets to that point, I don't think that it's the wrong years or the lack of talent. There's definitely a deeper issue going on.

Greg02 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 01:44 AM
  #91
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
I think it doesn't help that they tanked in the wrong years. Would they be this bad if they had Crosby and Malkin for instance? Or were able to get Crosby, AO/Malkin and Toews as their big three for example?

Then I start to think if the culture there is just bad luck. I mean 3 #1 overall picks (and another solid player in Eberle) and they're still in the running for another top pick this season? Sheesh.
the Kings tanked for a long time too...sometimes it comes together, sometimes it doesnt.

Atlanta tanked and got Kovalchuk, Heatley, etc.

it doesnt always work.

need vets to augment the youth..they are way too young, Smyth isnt enough. they need some leadership and they need to stop rushing their kids.

Inferno is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 01:59 AM
  #92
gardenparty
Registered User
 
gardenparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
The Edmonton Oilers are proof that you can't always tank your way to a championship.
Good point. That organization is a gong show. Even with all of those top picks, they've managed to stumble and bumble their way to (yet another) top 5 pick this year. There just doesn't seem to be a plan or a blueprint, it's like "let's just draft the best available forward coming out of juniors." They seem bereft of leadership, size, defensive talent....and an identity.

This should be a clue to their loyal-to-a-fault owner that hiring and promoting past Oiler greats isn't such a good idea.

gardenparty is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 03:01 AM
  #93
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Oh, and the Rangers are tied with the Blues for most road wins in the league now.
Road Warriors.

darko is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 03:02 AM
  #94
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
the Kings tanked for a long time too...sometimes it comes together, sometimes it doesnt.

Atlanta tanked and got Kovalchuk, Heatley, etc.

it doesnt always work.

need vets to augment the youth..they are way too young, Smyth isnt enough. they need some leadership and they need to stop rushing their kids.

Yup need leadership. Also cant just draft best available forwards and stick them together. Need D-men. That blue line is horrible. Need goaltending as well.

darko is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 04:45 AM
  #95
KingStian
Registered User
 
KingStian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Norway
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenparty View Post
This might be the best goaltending tandem we've had since Giacomin - Villemure. I know he hasn't faced a lot of elite teams and pressure cooker situations, but Talbot has been outstanding positionally. Rebound control might the only issue I have but that's a minor quibble. He recovers so well.
To me Talbot has been the most unexpected surprise this season. He has registered wins against Blackhawks, Red Wings, Blue Jackets, Habs and Wild, who if the playoff started today all would be in. I don't know how much more you want for it to be considered elite? Here is some notes from his player profile on NHL.com:

Quote:
- Has held opponents to two goals or fewer in 14 of his 17 career starts, including nine of 10 road starts and five of seven starts at home

- Is 5-0-0 with a 0.97 GAA and .964 Sv% in five games vs. Original Six opponents

- Is the first Ranger to win six straight decisions in his first year since Jim Henry in 1941-42 (seven straight)

- Is the first goalie in franchise history to hold opponents to two or fewer goals in each of his first seven career starts, and the first in the NHL since Frank Brimsek with Boston in 1938-39 (first 12 starts)

- Is the third goalie in team history to post two shutouts in their first six career starts (Lorne Chabot and Hal Winkler, 1926-27)

KingStian is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 04:46 AM
  #96
LORENZO
Registered User
 
LORENZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Country: England
Posts: 961
vCash: 500
Carcillo, what a player.

LORENZO is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 04:47 AM
  #97
FultonReed
ew, you did what?
 
FultonReed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Yeah it's ****ing stupid. Almost as stupid as poll names these days. I mean who the **** is Taco Bell and Carbomb.
Dan Carcillo actually goes by this nickname. his twitter handle is also @CarBombBoom13

if that helps at all.

i couldn't tell you where the Taco Bell thing came from though.

FultonReed is online now  
Old
03-31-2014, 05:46 AM
  #98
JHS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Think this was the easiest win of the season. Rangers dominated and The Oilers were none responsive. Anyone else kind of feel bad for their fans? It felt like a death march in that stadium!

Also Dalas Eakens(sp?) did not impress me. AV was coaching his team even up by 5 and all Dallas did was stand there with a smug look on his face! Glad we went with AV over him!

JHS is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 05:50 AM
  #99
Idlerlee
Always play Richards
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oslo, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,931
vCash: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Yeah it's ****ing stupid. Almost as stupid as poll names these days. I mean who the **** is Taco Bell and Carbomb.
People dont have nicknames ?

Idlerlee is online now  
Old
03-31-2014, 05:56 AM
  #100
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Is anyone else here for NYR hockey? I could so do without the superlatives. This post above me demonstrates it well.
Haha you're a funny dude.

Fanned On It is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.