HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else watching the Runners on SN?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2004, 11:06 PM
  #26
Digger12
Gold Fever
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Back o' beyond
Posts: 15,439
vCash: 500
We interrupt this regularly scheduled Rita Ranting to give you a special Muppet News Flash...Henrich scored a pretty nice goal tonight, ripped it home with lots of confidence. He definitely has an NHL-level shot.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Ranting.

Oh yeah...Salmelainen should make the Oilers next year. He won't be a consistent top six player, but damn he's fun to watch and annoying as hell to the opposition on the forecheck.

Digger12 is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 11:08 PM
  #27
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Uh, Rita has been sent up 3 times now and by both guys, where do you get your info from?

I'm not about to say that Ward or Julien are idiots, I haven't seen enough of their work. For all I know they could be brilliant.

MacT, on the other hand, is an idiot. I have no problem justifying that comment.
Where did I mention how many times he was called up?

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 11:10 PM
  #28
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
But you know what....thats the thing. Lets see what he does when a Pronger comes lunging at him in a corner, lets see what happens when Gauthier tries to separate his knees from the rest of him, when young NHL play hungry players are fighting with him for the puck in the corner. We dont know. What happens in the AHL means squat when it comes to some players. Semenov was inconsistent in the AHL. Torres hit people, not the backs of nets, Conks was average with the Bulldogs.

All I know is, in a limited time up here last year, Rita scored some nice goals (including that in close deke for his first vs. Joseph). 12 games. Thats all. Hes a top prospect in this organization. Give him 20 games. Sink or swim. Your an adult now, show us you belong in the show. Not "Well, hes not trying down on the farm......Hes still getting the points,, mind you, hes just not "Working" for them.... so we fell he doesnt deserve a call.. cause you see... you need to WANT it.. you need to FEEL it..... you cant just SCORE a goal, you have to WANT TO KILL the goalie with your shot. And after you score, you do 40 push-ups and say "YES SIR,SIR"
Yep he is an adult. Lets see him play like one every night. Not like a brooding child!!

Yes he played OK during his call-up. But people forget that at the end of that 12 game tryout. He wasn't getting any opportunites to score because he was being knocked off the puck, could't create any room for himself because he coudn't fight through the checks.

I remember it and predicted that he would be sent down. He was sent down one game after I predicted it. Of course most of the gang in my section noticed the same thing.

Not surprisingly these are the same problems he has in the AHL.


Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 02-06-2004 at 11:13 PM.
hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 11:12 PM
  #29
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Yep he is an adult. Lets see him play like one every night. Not like a brooding child!!
How many times has he played like a brooding child in the NHL this season?

windowlicker is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 11:15 PM
  #30
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Yes he played OK during his call-up. But people forget that at the end of that 12 game tryout. He wasn't getting any opportunites to score because he was being knocked off the puck, could't create any room for himself because he coudn't fight through the checks.

I remember it and predicted on this board that he would be sent down. He was sent down one game after I predicted it.
He was playing like crap because the Whole team was playing like crap at that time, and getting 3rd&4th line time as a rookie will not either earn you points, or respect from MacT. Especially if your pegged as an offensive guy.

windowlicker is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 11:17 PM
  #31
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
How many times has he played like a brooding child in the NHL this season?
.

None and that is the way it should be. This is a professional sport not a babysitting service!!

You earn you opportunity by hard work every night, just like in the real world!!

I had to earn my job by going to school for many years and proving over time that I could handle increased responsibilities.

I didn't pout when I didn't get the promotion I wanted right away, I worked harder, took more courses. If I pouted I may have lost my job or stayed at the same level.

Rita needs to progress and that was Lowe's biggest criticism of Rita that he had not taken steps forward, it was also the same comment Geoff Ward made about Rita.

Hopefully he will learn this, or he won't and will shuffle from organization to organization until finally the opportunities run out.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 11:20 PM
  #32
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,737
vCash: 500
Rita will have success in the NHL, with different team likely.
I'm not going to comment on this season, because he hasn't played in the NHL this year. BUT, if anyone else remembers last year, he displayed offensive instincts that few Oilers have in limited time. His 3 goals were all beauties and only 4 other players on the big club could have potted them: York, Dvorak, Hemsky and Isbister. In my opinion, if the Oil can make a reasonable challenge for a playoffs spot in the next 2 weeks, Jani will be included in a package to get a decent center.

ALSO, there are some guys on this team that would get "pushed" off the puck in the AHL. Horcoff, Pisani, and Oates would get pushed around in the AHL, much like they do in the bigs. Rita IS an offensive talent. NO Player is perfect.

Hemsky4PM is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 11:27 PM
  #33
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
.

Rita needs to progress and that was Lowe's biggest criticism of Rita that he had not taken steps forward, it was also the same comment Geoff Ward made about Rita.
I see this ..this way. And after this, I promise, this will be my last post on this. Im gonna try to stay away from hockey for this weekend (the all star joke), and hope the Oil go on a streak after this weekend.

Rita came in to this organization as a .. lets say 6/10 skill level. Other guys came in here at 2 or 3 or 4. But in the mean time, they have miraculously risen to about 5 or 5.5, while Rita has only inched closer to 6.5 or 7. By this analogy, Rita has not improved that much. While other guys have improved Alot more. But look at the final numbers again. Sure, Rita has not improved alot, but hes still better than ALOT of other guys who have now made it.

windowlicker is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 11:33 PM
  #34
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Rita will have success in the NHL, with different team likely.
I'm not going to comment on this season, because he hasn't played in the NHL this year. BUT, if anyone else remembers last year, he displayed offensive instincts that few Oilers have in limited time. His 3 goals were all beauties and only 4 other players on the big club could have potted them: York, Dvorak, Hemsky and Isbister. In my opinion, if the Oil can make a reasonable challenge for a playoffs spot in the next 2 weeks, Jani will be included in a package to get a decent center.

ALSO, there are some guys on this team that would get "pushed" off the puck in the AHL. Horcoff, Pisani, and Oates would get pushed around in the AHL, much like they do in the bigs. Rita IS an offensive talent. NO Player is perfect.
You are comparing Oates, a future Hall of Famer and has 339 goals and 1070 assists with Rita??? Lets not go there. Yes Oates gets knocked off the puck, he is at the end of a brilliant career though. When Rita has his 1400 points I promise I will show him some slack at age 41!

As for Horcoff, he didn't start his NHL career with Edmonton until he was 22, he paid his dues in Michigan and Hamilton.

Pisani played three seasons in Hamilton and before this three years at Providence College before getting his opportunity to play for the Oilers at the age of 26. Here is a guy that had to work very hard and very long before he got his shot at the NHL.

I think what these examples show that the organization is very patient and Rita may still get his next opportunity with the Oilers and I truly hope when it does happen he makes the best of it.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 12:07 AM
  #35
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
ALSO, there are some guys on this team that would get "pushed" off the puck in the AHL. Horcoff, Pisani, and Oates would get pushed around in the AHL, much like they do in the bigs. Rita IS an offensive talent. NO Player is perfect.
I always find it interesting when people knock guys like Horcoff, Pisani, Chimera and Cleary and then claim that Rita would be playing much better up with the Oilers than they are. While Rita probably has more overall talent than any of the preceding players, he has yet to show nearly as much as any of them at the AHL level. Horcoff put up 28 points in 24 games before getting the call. Chimera had 77 points in 77 games. Cleary put up 74 points in 58 games (man would it really have helped the Oilers out now if he'd of developed like we expected). Heck, Rem Murray had 90 points in 79 games and even Swanson put up 73 points in a season!

My point is this: If our pluggers are putting up over a point/game at the AHL level while working consistantly hard, why does Rita deserve the roster spot over them? I'm not denying the man has talent but why doesn't he have to work his butt off to get a roster spot like Swanson, Chimera, Murray and Cleary had to before him?? I still think Rita can dominate play with the Roadrunners, he just has to want to. He'll get his chance with the big club when he starts to work his ass off night in and night out. What kind of message does it send to a guy like Bishai or Salmelainen if Rita gets called up before them?

Cerebral is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 12:08 AM
  #36
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
I see this ..this way. And after this, I promise, this will be my last post on this. Im gonna try to stay away from hockey for this weekend (the all star joke), and hope the Oil go on a streak after this weekend.

Rita came in to this organization as a .. lets say 6/10 skill level. Other guys came in here at 2 or 3 or 4. But in the mean time, they have miraculously risen to about 5 or 5.5, while Rita has only inched closer to 6.5 or 7. By this analogy, Rita has not improved that much. While other guys have improved Alot more. But look at the final numbers again. Sure, Rita has not improved alot, but hes still better than ALOT of other guys who have now made it.
I have seen evidence in his games of not just being pushed off the puck, but a lack of desire to push his game to the next level. Talent is not enough, Bonsignore had talent, Daigle is talented.

But there were things missing in the character that made one never make the NHL and one take years.

That is what I see in Rita. The same evidence of lack of character.

Talk that he pouted when he got sent down, evidence that he won't work hard all the time even though he is talented, floating for games and only showing when he wants too.

When coaches are talking about not taking the game to the next level and not showing up for for long periods of time they are referencing character and that is what worries me about Rita.

Not every player with talent makes the NHL, you need more than just talent.

Great players have on thing in common the desire to be the best. Gretzky had it, Messier had it. I am not sure Rita does.


Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 02-07-2004 at 12:11 AM.
hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 12:14 AM
  #37
IceDragoon
Registered User
 
IceDragoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South of Sanity
Posts: 3,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
Mike is : 21 4 5 9...
And pointless in his last 10 games.

IceDragoon is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 12:17 AM
  #38
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
And pointless in his last 10 games.
He's hit the "I missed training camp wall"

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 12:22 AM
  #39
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
He's hit the "I missed training camp wall"
I'm actually a bit surprised he has.. I was getting a bit worried after those first few games that he'd keep going at a point/game pace and we'd have Philly fans mocking us for the rest of the season! Hopefully Woywitka turns into a really good d-man for us and we can add this deal to another Kevin Lowe win (though no one else will admit Kevin Lowe is capable of winning a trade ).

Cerebral is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 12:27 AM
  #40
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I'm actually a bit surprised he has.. I was getting a bit worried after those first few games that he'd keep going at a point/game pace and we'd have Philly fans mocking us for the rest of the season! Hopefully Woywitka turns into a really good d-man for us and we can add this deal to another Kevin Lowe win (though no one else will admit Kevin Lowe is capable of winning a trade ).
Lets put it this way, if Feaster doesnt lose his mind and give the Pitkanen pick away to Clarke, the Comrie/Woywitka deal never happens. The only way Woywitka was expendable was because of Pitkanen. Some mentioned that had it not been for Jonni, Jeff would have been up with the big club this year.

windowlicker is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 12:29 AM
  #41
IceDragoon
Registered User
 
IceDragoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South of Sanity
Posts: 3,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
He's hit the "I missed training camp wall"
Maybe he doesn't like his coach.

IceDragoon is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 12:36 AM
  #42
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
Maybe he doesn't like his coach.
Im gonna sit back and enjoy a cold one the very first day a small article hits the bottom of the The Philadelphia Inquirer sports section about a certain small, young, newly aquired center disagreeing with his coach about his "lack of quality ice-time". Then the predictable Clarke response "There is nothing to this story", the predictable Hitch quote "Hes a good kid...very talented....some problems adjusting to new system.." Mickey ..."Hes the coach..hes won a Stanley Cup.... he knows whats best.."

Just watch the snowball get bigger and bigger from there

windowlicker is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 12:37 AM
  #43
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
Mike is : 21 4 5 9

i just wanted to see that again in a bigger font... it makes me so happy.
Too bad his replacement (Oates) is:
33 0 7 7 -5

 
Old
02-07-2004, 12:44 AM
  #44
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Too bad his replacement (Oates) is:
33 0 7 7 -5
whoa.. i had no idea their stats were so similar.

windowlicker is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 12:46 AM
  #45
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,798
vCash: 500
Ouch.. I just scanned over the past few scoresheets of Philly games. I thought Comrie was getting decent ice time but he's been averaging about 11 minutes/game the past 5 games or so.. the only player getting less ice time than him is usually Patrick Sharp though sometimes Brashear dips below that. Even Somik is getting more ice time than Mikey! Good thing he's moved on to be a big fish and all that..

Cerebral is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 01:05 AM
  #46
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Too bad his replacement (Oates) is:
33 0 7 7 -5
His replacement (Oates) has also helped move the Oilers from 30th in faceoffs at the time he was signed to 12th. Oates is about 60% in faceoffs. That should count for something.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 01:06 AM
  #47
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Ouch.. I just scanned over the past few scoresheets of Philly games. I thought Comrie was getting decent ice time but he's been averaging about 11 minutes/game the past 5 games or so.. the only player getting less ice time than him is usually Patrick Sharp though sometimes Brashear dips below that. Even Somik is getting more ice time than Mikey! Good thing he's moved on to be a big fish and all that..

Sounds like the honeymoon is over ..... " Get out of the way, your blocking the TV....get me a Beer....have you put on weight?"

windowlicker is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 01:28 AM
  #48
Oi'll say!
Go Flames
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Where did I mention how many times he was called up?
Did you re-read your own post? You make it sound like JR's coaches from the farm didn't give him the nod but he was sent up on at least three different occasions.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 01:34 AM
  #49
creative giant*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
It's too bad this turned into another Rita thread. I guess it's understandable.

BUT, this thread should have been about Salmoleinen. From what I saw tonight, he was excellent. Creating scoring chances and fighting for the puck at every opportunity.

If anyone deserves a callup to the Oil it's him, and not Rita. I was actually looking forward to seeing Rita playing with some fire but he was pretty much invisible which is dissapointing.

P.S. what a shot by Heinrech for his goal.

creative giant* is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 01:39 AM
  #50
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Did you re-read your own post? You make it sound like JR's coaches from the farm didn't give him the nod but he was sent up on at least three different occasions.
I was thinking about the amount of game he has played in the NHL which is a grand total of 13 not the amount of call-ups.

The last call-up wasn't on the best terms. I believe Lowe said that we have to give him a shot because he is running out of time that really doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement or that he had earned a call-up. How does that quote SOUND to you?

The fact that he didn't play and will not get called back and Bishai will is also a very SOUND indication that the coaching staff and Lowe are not that impressed with his progress.

That's how it all SOUNDS to me.

I agree with many of the other posters that believe that Tony Salmelainen should get the next opportunity because he has earned itl.


Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 02-07-2004 at 01:51 AM.
hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.