HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Teams Can/Will Make The Strongest Offers To Vanek?

Old
03-31-2014, 04:40 PM
Aberahab

vCash: 500
What Teams Can/Will Make The Strongest Offers To Vanek?

So we all know or at least thinking that Vanek wants to go to the Wild or at least to free agency this spring. But Min can only offer him 6 years like everybody else. So what other teams out there can afford to make him a better offer over 6 years then MB can offer him over 8 years? Secondly, would he want to go to the teams who can afford to make those offers? He seems to be enjoying his time here so far and playing well at the same time.

So who has the cap space and the good enough team to make him leave an 8 year deal?

Aberahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 04:48 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 1093
My guess is there will be 15-20 teams with interest and Vanek's agent will contact the teams he's interested in hearing from, much like what Brad Richards did a couple years ago.

They'll probably offer around the same as well 7.5 per on a 5-7 year term.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 04:48 PM
sheed36

The Wild can offer him 7 years instead of 6 years. The Habs can offer him 8 years but only before he reaches UFA. If he becomes a UFA the max offer the Habs can give him is the same 7 years as every other team apparently.

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 04:56 PM
Adriatic

I'd be careful with these 7 or 8 year deals. I love Vanek and he will still play at a high level in the next 3- 4 years, but I'd be careful giving out 8 year deals to players that are weak skaters. Things look great now but they can derail quickly. I don't want to be stuck with a Heatly type situation.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 05:12 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Let's put it this way . The starting point is $7M x 7 yrs.

Only Montreal can tack on an 8th year .

I do the 8 years and lock him up . There's nothing in the pipeline of his calibre and players like this don't become available very often.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 05:13 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Leafs salary cap could've been the envy of the league if Nonis didn't screw up.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 05:27 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
At least half the league will at least inquire. There'll probably be 1-2 teams that will throw an insane amount of money too.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 05:27 PM
Shaby23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
I'd be careful with these 7 or 8 year deals. I love Vanek and he will still play at a high level in the next 3- 4 years, but I'd be careful giving out 8 year deals to players that are weak skaters. Things look great now but they can derail quickly. I don't want to be stuck with a Heatly type situation.
If we want to keep him, we have no choice but to give him 7-8years. So you either take the risk or not. I would personally.

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 05:31 PM
vokiel
#FireBergerrien

vCash: 50
I'm seriously not sure I'd want the habs to lock him up long term. He's a an amazing rental don't get me wrong, but Vanek @37-38, that's going to be painful to watch for damn sure. Specially in Montreal.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 05:31 PM
eFFeRR
Major League Hockey

I can't see teams offering him anymore then $8m per.. which for that amount seems like an overpayment..

I think we will be on par with a lot of other teams at 7 years/$7 million.. the question becomes who are the "good" teams that can afford that. I don't see Vanek taking the extra mill per season to end up on a non-playoff team.

eFFeRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 05:37 PM
kalessin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I'm seriously not sure I'd want the habs to lock him up long term. He's a an amazing rental don't get me wrong, but Vanek @37-38, that's going to be painful to watch for damn sure. Specially in Montreal.
Nobody really thinks guys are still going to be in their prime at 37-38. It's just what you have to pay to lock someone up while they're still performing. Dealing with 35+ year old Vanek is a problem for another day.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 05:58 PM
vokiel
#FireBergerrien

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalessin View Post
Nobody really thinks guys are still going to be in their prime at 37-38. It's just what you have to pay to lock someone up while they're still performing. Dealing with 35+ year old Vanek is a problem for another day.
It's going to be a giant problem for him. He's far from being a complete player, so Vanek not in his prime is going to make Gio look like he's in his 20s atm.

I'd go as far as to say that I wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota signs him for just 5 years.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:01 PM
la25ecoupe

I predict a Stanley Cup Finals between the Wilds and Canadiens. The Wild will win, and next year Vanek will sign a one year deal with the Wilds.. and the Stanley Cup Finals will be the Wilds vs Canadiens again, only this time the Canadiens wins.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:18 PM
borisbadenough

Market high offer should be around 8-8.25 for seven by July. Would not be surprised to see him take a lower offer to go where he needs to be , contender wise. Personally ,I would like to see him play with a Pavel , Giroux, or a Bergeron . (a legit playmaking 1st line center / these guys play a similar game to his) . Watch NY, Boston, LA, Detroit, Philly, San Jose.

It should be noted that every team that needs to spend up to the new floor will make significant offers.

Last edited by borisbadenough: 03-31-2014 at 07:14 PM.
borisbadenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:26 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

The Wild seem to have the space and rumor is Vanek wants to go there...

Only thing is why would Minnesota have traded for Moulson when they could've had Vanek at the deadline? Cap issue?

LLoyd Christmas I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:30 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

The age bias never ceases to amaze me. People have no problem overpaying Price or Eller or Galchenyuk for their "potential" but god forbid a proven player not live up to the numbers for a couple years when he's in his late 30's.

This is a no brainer . You go hard after Vanek on an 8 year deal and open your 3-4 year window for competing for league hardware.

Old
03-31-2014, 06:30 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd Christmas I View Post
The Wild seem to have the space and rumor is Vanek wants to go there...

Only thing is why would Minnesota have traded for Moulson when they could've had Vanek at the deadline? Cap issue?
Yep Cap issues plain and simple.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:31 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
We missed out on JJ thinking this way.
An athlete of his stature providing he has character can continue to produce well into their late thirties.
His game is not based on footspeed but on positional play.
Watch some of his shifts and you will see what I'm driving at.
He cuts off ice at every opportunity.
So the investment risk to me would be about character and willingness to keep in prime shape

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:31 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
It's going to be a giant problem for him. He's far from being a complete player, so Vanek not in his prime is going to make Gio look like he's in his 20s atm.

I'd go as far as to say that I wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota signs him for just 5 years.
But Gionta wore down because he played reckless as a younger player. Vanek doesn't throw the body around nor does he hold on to the puck too long to get hit hard and often.

It's not like he can get much slower. He relies on instincts and a extremely quick release. I still see him being effective at 35+. Think Ray Whitney or Patrik Elias.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:32 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
En plus, Vanek at 38 wont be an issues because he is not a perimeter player. When he looses his speed he can go in front of the net and just stay there. It won't be another Gomez situation, far from it.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:35 PM
ROSSter

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
I predict a Stanley Cup Finals between the Wilds and Canadiens. The Wild will win, and next year Vanek will sign a one year deal with the Wilds.. and the Stanley Cup Finals will be the Wilds vs Canadiens again, only this time the Canadiens wins.
Is Vanek, Hossa?

ROSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:39 PM
Forsead

The team the Habs should be the most worried is Minnesota, with Heatley off they have the cap space and there's Vanek wife situation.

I hope there will be a great seduction with a nice playoff run.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:50 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

The team the Wild should be afraid of is Montreal . The Habs are the only team that can offer an 8 year deal. The ONLY team. Bergevin paid for that privilege and his astute management out manoeuvred Minnesota and reportedly the Leafs.

Old
03-31-2014, 06:58 PM
Andros777

I'm honestly not too worried about handing out a contract that will pay off in the first four years and be less of a deal in the final four, even if (that is I think a pessimistic scenario) that were to happen. There were years where we were carrying Scott Gomez and a bad Roman Hamrlik and we still managed to be a good team, and even during those times it's not like unloading them would have been useful to us anyway; there were no eight million dollar forwards to sign in their place had they been unloaded. Cap space is not THAT precious. You can always afford to carry one or two less-than-optimal contracts.

You can't win cups with cap space.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 07:09 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
I'm honestly not too worried about handing out a contract that will pay off in the first four years and be less of a deal in the final four, even if (that is I think a pessimistic scenario) that were to happen. There were years where we were carrying Scott Gomez and a bad Roman Hamrlik and we still managed to be a good team, and even during those times it's not like unloading them would have been useful to us anyway; there were no eight million dollar forwards to sign in their place had they been unloaded. Cap space is not THAT precious. You can always afford to carry one or two less-than-optimal contracts.

You can't win cups with cap space.
Great post . You can't worry about everything - the wasting of Price , Subban , Pacioretty in their best years , the Markov window , and the last 3 years of a star scorers hockey life- at some point you have to pick a target and aim for it.

Astute management has created a potential window . Vanek is the game changer . If he flees the team is strong enough to move on. If he stays it's full speed ahead .