HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Callahan Tribute Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-30-2014, 11:20 PM
  #276
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers1979 View Post
This is the part I'm confused about, not trying to be a jerk here. But who are you to say he is not worth 6 million? How do you even put a price tag on a player? You know these RFA/UFAs are going to want a pay day, like Brassard who is going to be asking for close to 5 million. Is he worth it? A lot depends on buying out Richards, its supply and demand, and a reason why Sather who was a hyprocrite in saying no one is worth 8 years and 7 million dollars, yet he signs Richards to a 9 year deal just south of 7 million.
I'm saying he's not worth 6M because he's not a star player. He's never scored 30 goals. He's a mucker. lol He plays a style that has him prone to getting banged up, and more importantly very likely will catch up to him in the next couple years. Again, he has the right to ask for whatever he wants. But he's a ~5M player today (in actual on ice value) and he won't be that for the next 6 years...so it would be a mistake to sign him to a long term contract for money he isn't worth today. And just because you give one player a stupid contract (Richards) it doesn't mean that you are bound to do the same for the next guy. Ryan Callahan at 6/36 is another disaster waiting to happen. I really like the guy, but I'm happy he'll be that disaster somewhere else.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 07:56 AM
  #277
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm saying he's not worth 6M because he's not a star player. He's never scored 30 goals. He's a mucker. lol He plays a style that has him prone to getting banged up, and more importantly very likely will catch up to him in the next couple years. Again, he has the right to ask for whatever he wants. But he's a ~5M player today (in actual on ice value) and he won't be that for the next 6 years...so it would be a mistake to sign him to a long term contract for money he isn't worth today. And just because you give one player a stupid contract (Richards) it doesn't mean that you are bound to do the same for the next guy. Ryan Callahan at 6/36 is another disaster waiting to happen. I really like the guy, but I'm happy he'll be that disaster somewhere else.
Well said. I can't understand the people who complain about things like the Richards contract yet get bent out of shape because Sather didn't make another (likely bigger) mistake on top of it.

Richards was paid what he was because he had a proven track record of success. It didn't work out, but at least there was justification for doing it. Callahan's demands were so outrageous because he's never been worth that much, and the odds of him getting there at this point of his career are practically nil.

clmetsfan is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 09:16 AM
  #278
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm saying he's not worth 6M because he's not a star player. He's never scored 30 goals. He's a mucker. lol He plays a style that has him prone to getting banged up, and more importantly very likely will catch up to him in the next couple years. Again, he has the right to ask for whatever he wants. But he's a ~5M player today (in actual on ice value) and he won't be that for the next 6 years...so it would be a mistake to sign him to a long term contract for money he isn't worth today. And just because you give one player a stupid contract (Richards) it doesn't mean that you are bound to do the same for the next guy. Ryan Callahan at 6/36 is another disaster waiting to happen. I really like the guy, but I'm happy he'll be that disaster somewhere else.
While I agree with most of this, Callahan is not a mucker.

jerseyjinx94 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 06:38 PM
  #279
Lightningfan24
Para Para Paradise
 
Lightningfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm saying he's not worth 6M because he's not a star player. He's never scored 30 goals. He's a mucker. lol He plays a style that has him prone to getting banged up, and more importantly very likely will catch up to him in the next couple years. Again, he has the right to ask for whatever he wants. But he's a ~5M player today (in actual on ice value) and he won't be that for the next 6 years...so it would be a mistake to sign him to a long term contract for money he isn't worth today. And just because you give one player a stupid contract (Richards) it doesn't mean that you are bound to do the same for the next guy. Ryan Callahan at 6/36 is another disaster waiting to happen. I really like the guy, but I'm happy he'll be that disaster somewhere else.
His value is around 5.7 million accoring to the TSN guys, he should be making around what Dustin Brown is making, Cally is a better all around player than Brown, yeah he won a cup which is why he got 8 years. Cally's injury history will prevent him from getting anything over 6 years.

Also , you keep saying that contract would of been a disaster, no it would not be, not with a cap going up and a modified NMC towards the end, rumors are Sather would not give him a single year NTC. Listen to Sather's press conference, never mentioned money being the issue, it was the NTC.

Again, this is a Callahan Tribute thread, not a "He's not worth this or that" thread. I will continue to post about Cally in here, and I know there are a lot of fans like myself are following him and what him to be successful. I'm just tired of the bitter Ranger fans that have such ill toward him, after the years of service he game this team. He had 6 goals in 20 games in the playoffs when they went to the ECF was a big part of that success, he scored the OT goal last season to make the Rangers clinch a playoff spot. It's just everything he has done seems to be thrown under the bus because he wanted to get paid. Which was not even a crazy contract in the end.

Now with Tampa he is playing like himself, and his little run in Tampa has helped turn his season around to a solid one.

I'm rooting for him to hit 20 goals this season, that will be a huge acomplishment after all the injuries, trades talks, actual trade, and etc.

Again this is a Cally tribute thread, to show our appreciation for what he has done, and wish him the best success moving forward.

Lightningfan24 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 08:32 PM
  #280
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers1979 View Post
His value is around 5.7 million accoring to the TSN guys, he should be making around what Dustin Brown is making, Cally is a better all around player than Brown, yeah he won a cup which is why he got 8 years. Cally's injury history will prevent him from getting anything over 6 years.

Also , you keep saying that contract would of been a disaster, no it would not be, not with a cap going up and a modified NMC towards the end, rumors are Sather would not give him a single year NTC. Listen to Sather's press conference, never mentioned money being the issue, it was the NTC.

Again, this is a Callahan Tribute thread, not a "He's not worth this or that" thread. I will continue to post about Cally in here, and I know there are a lot of fans like myself are following him and what him to be successful. I'm just tired of the bitter Ranger fans that have such ill toward him, after the years of service he game this team. He had 6 goals in 20 games in the playoffs when they went to the ECF was a big part of that success, he scored the OT goal last season to make the Rangers clinch a playoff spot. It's just everything he has done seems to be thrown under the bus because he wanted to get paid. Which was not even a crazy contract in the end.

Now with Tampa he is playing like himself, and his little run in Tampa has helped turn his season around to a solid one.

I'm rooting for him to hit 20 goals this season, that will be a huge acomplishment after all the injuries, trades talks, actual trade, and etc.

Again this is a Cally tribute thread, to show our appreciation for what he has done, and wish him the best success moving forward.
I don't care how much the cap goes up, IF Callahan is broken down 4 years from now and he's counting 6M against the cap, that's a disaster. Contracts can't be buried in the AHL any more under the new CBA.

I wish him nothing but the best going forward...as long as it's not against the Rangers.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 08:37 PM
  #281
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
While I agree with most of this, Callahan is not a mucker.
Well, he blocks shots and is good against the boards and by the net...sounds like a mucker to me.

And that's what TBL coach Jon Cooper called him last week.

http://msn.foxsports.com/florida/sto...g-piece-032814

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 08:45 PM
  #282
Lightningfan24
Para Para Paradise
 
Lightningfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Well, he blocks shots and is good against the boards and by the net...sounds like a mucker to me.

And that's what TBL coach Jon Cooper called him last week.

http://msn.foxsports.com/florida/sto...g-piece-032814
Yes, and AV took him off the PP, when he clearly is one of the best in front of the net. Don't look at me, look at the stats and PP goals scored for him and vs the rest of the Rangers players.

He is better in Tampa, because his TOI went from an average of 17 mins to over 20 mins. He is getting PP time, huge PP time and has made their PP so much better. Don't look at me, look at the stats.

Lightningfan24 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 10:07 PM
  #283
Baby Punisher
Registered User
 
Baby Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post
It's weird how a player can rev it up once down the stretch in his career and is now renowned as a playoff quality player.

Callahan has been a trash playoff perfomer for the Rangers.
He is still playing for a contract.

Baby Punisher is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 10:09 PM
  #284
robwrx04
Registered User
 
robwrx04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers1979 View Post
Yes, and AV took him off the PP, when he clearly is one of the best in front of the net. Don't look at me, look at the stats and PP goals scored for him and vs the rest of the Rangers players.

He is better in Tampa, because his TOI went from an average of 17 mins to over 20 mins. He is getting PP time, huge PP time and has made their PP so much better. Don't look at me, look at the stats.
The stats... you mean he has line mates that actually know how to run a power play, and one happens to be a super star goal scorer. You think Kunitz/Neal have their stats because they are them or do you think Crosby puts their numbers up?

robwrx04 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 10:15 PM
  #285
Lightningfan24
Para Para Paradise
 
Lightningfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwrx04 View Post
The stats... you mean he has line mates that actually know how to run a power play, and one happens to be a super star goal scorer. You think Kunitz/Neal have their stats because they are them or do you think Crosby puts their numbers up?
LOL OMG the comments just don't end.

Let me ask you. Go back the last several seasons, and look at PP goals in the league, look where Callahan was in ranking, and he played on an average if not below average PP under Torts. My favorite year was 2011-12, where he had the same amount of PP goals as Ovechkin, and one more than Stamkos, but those guys can't score goals right?

Lightningfan24 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 11:00 PM
  #286
robwrx04
Registered User
 
robwrx04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers1979 View Post
LOL OMG the comments just don't end.

Let me ask you. Go back the last several seasons, and look at PP goals in the league, look where Callahan was in ranking, and he played on an average if not below average PP under Torts. My favorite year was 2011-12, where he had the same amount of PP goals as Ovechkin, and one more than Stamkos, but those guys can't score goals right?
Wow.. he tied Ovechkin and had one more than Stamkos.... for one year.

robwrx04 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 11:13 PM
  #287
Aufheben
Global Moderator
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Angola
Posts: 13,237
vCash: 69
Alright, I think this has run it's course. Vaya con dios, Captain Cally.

__________________

Aufheben is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.