HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rita!!!!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2004, 10:33 PM
  #101
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Just a question...

under this regime, which young prospect hasn't been given a fair shake?
[edit: I'm assuming that you meant "which other prospect hasn't been given a fair shake]

There hasn't been one, it's actually the opposite.

We've started each of the past two seasons without 6 nhl blueliners so our rookies on d have been guaranteed work up here. Hemsky plays no matter what because Salmo is the next in line at rw, and after him there's virtually noone. Stoll was a walk-on at center with the Comrie situation (although he's played well).

Rita is stuck behind the logjam at lw, and for sure Smyth, Izzy, Torres, Moreau, and Chimera earned their shot here, but it's time to evaluate that group and make some moves. The Oil had the perfect opportunity to check out JR without ruffling too many feathers and they blew it while MacT was out running his yap.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 10:37 PM
  #102
copperaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 485
vCash: 500
Unless the Oilers due with Rita what they did with Chimera in giving him a one way contract next year(wasn't everyone going through this same thing when Chimera was stuck in Hamilton and looked like he belonged here),I hope he ends up with Calgary and comes back to burn the Oil! :mad:

copperaddict is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 10:47 PM
  #103
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Can't the Oilers switch some of the players around. I'm pretty sure both Izzy and Smyth can play both LW and RW.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 01:40 AM
  #104
Sparkles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
I find it weird that people here question Rita's work ethic and accuse him of probably not having "the heart to play". If I remember correctly, all the other players (Conklin, Stoll...) in their last season's interviews said Rita is the hardest working player they know. Also during the playoffs of his first season in Hamilton, the coach would find him riding the excercise bike and would have to forbid him to train too much. I also happen to know that stillnow, during this season he is usually one of the last players to come out of the dressing room because he stays after the game and rides the excercise bike. And if this isn't enough, in the tests before training camp Rita has always been one of the best players, indicating that he has worked his butt of during the summer, too.

I don't know about you, but to me this doesn't sound like a player who has a bad work ethic or doesn't have the heart for the sport...

Sparkles is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 02:11 AM
  #105
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles
I find it weird that people here question Rita's work ethic and accuse him of probably not having "the heart to play". If I remember correctly, all the other players (Conklin, Stoll...) in their last season's interviews said Rita is the hardest working player they know. Also during the playoffs of his first season in Hamilton, the coach would find him riding the excercise bike and would have to forbid him to train too much. I also happen to know that stillnow, during this season he is usually one of the last players to come out of the dressing room because he stays after the game and rides the excercise bike. And if this isn't enough, in the tests before training camp Rita has always been one of the best players, indicating that he has worked his butt of during the summer, too.

I don't know about you, but to me this doesn't sound like a player who has a bad work ethic or doesn't have the heart for the sport...
He'll get his chance. The same crap was happening when Chimera was constantly in the AHL. Fans wanted Chimera up here and people also said MacT hates him. He eventually made the team. Some players take longer to develop than other. I have faith that one day Rita will be on this team.

Narnia is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 03:18 AM
  #106
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I am not management biased on this issue, I am I've seen the guy play all season long and for the past 3 seasons biased on this issue.

And Rita was never named the top player in the AHL... that I can guarantee you.

Being jerked? I don't think so. Being jerked is being passed over for guys you have more talent than, work harder than and are hungrier than. That hasn't been the case. Who's to say he isn't going to get a shot? Maybe the Oilers called him up in order to help him with certain things, or in order to have some face to face meetings with him.

We don't know... but of course, everyone is jumping on the poor Rita bandwagon and assuming he is being screwed here, and pretending to know what is going on inside his head, when in actual fact, we don't know. There is still 30 games left in the season, and lots of time for him to get his callup to get his chance.

But no... everyone is automatically on the negative. It's all Mac-T's fault, or Lowe's fault. Maybe it's no one's fault. Maybe Rita's going back to Toronto with new found confidence and enthusiasm. Maybe Rita has direction as to what the club is expecting from him down in Toronto.

How about we wait until it is all played out before we cruicify management for ruining something that may never get ruined. I understand everyone is pissy because of the poor season, but you complaining about it here isn't going to make a difference. You aren't saying things about Rita that they don't know, and maybe they have a plan.

Just because you aren't privy to it, doesn't mean that is isn't good, or what's best for everyone involved.
What's that word I'm looking for? The word to describe what I am feeling about dawgbone's comments? Angry? Yeah, that's it.

Here is the basic thesis of dawgbone's thoughts.
1. Lowe and MacTavish know more about hockey than the rest of us (presumably because they have played at the highest level).
2. Rita has not proved enough to be in the Oilers' line up.

Rita has been jerked around a bit here. Maybe not as much as the pro-Rita camp thinks, and not to as little an extent as the anti-Rita camp professes, but a little for sure. I would not be as mad if Rita had been called up and the party line was "we'll see how he does in practise and see if we think he can contribute in the BIG games to come".
Instead, the line was "this is his last chance to prove himself", "this is the organisations' last chance to 'give him a chance'". Using those types of phrases surely sets things up for a disappointing end. Rita's callup appears at this point to be simply a matter of covering all bases in the event that another winger (with Isbister) went down.
So the real issue is with the portrayal of Rita's call-up in the media. Was it a "last chance" or not?

few know.

Hemsky4PM is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 07:51 AM
  #107
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
What's that word I'm looking for? The word to describe what I am feeling about dawgbone's comments? Angry? Yeah, that's it.

Here is the basic thesis of dawgbone's thoughts.
1. Lowe and MacTavish know more about hockey than the rest of us (presumably because they have played at the highest level).
Just to clarify this, firstly it isn't just Lowe and Mac-T. There are assistant coaches, scouts, an assistant GM and coaches on the farm. There are all kinds of people in on this decision who talk regularly. It isn't just 2 people running the ship. Secondly, knowing about hockey, and knowing about players in your own organization are two completely different things. I'm sure there people out there who know more about hockey than a lot of guys in the NHL. But knowing about hockey isn't the issue. The issue is developing pro players, and knowing your own players. And that is where Kevin and Mac-T know more than the rest of us.

Quote:
2. Rita has not proved enough to be in the Oilers' line up.
Rita hasn't been consistant enough. He has proven he can play in the NHL, he just hasn't proven he the ability to do it everday. And before everyone gets all over me on this one with the same old "he's never been given a chance", this has been argued and argued by me and others. I am clarifying my point because Hemsky4PM is a little off base with his synopsis. It's been argued. I'm not going to budge, you aren't going to budge, so let's just leave it at that.

I'm tired of competing with "Well his stats are..." and "Well maybe he's more consistant than...". The fact of the matter is you can look at stats and see one thing, and I can see a player play and see something completely different, and that is obviously the case here. I don't mind discussing things, but most of this stuff is the same argument being thrown out every post. You aren't going to change my opinion, especially when there is nothing to see. If Rita gets in 20 games and plays well for most of them, then I may change my views, and at that point in time I will say good. I've always stated he will be a solid NHLer, so he will prove me wrong at one point. But for the here and now, I'm not budging.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 09:20 AM
  #108
Freudian slips
Registered User
 
Freudian slips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: dogville
Country: Canada
Posts: 932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Just to clarify this, firstly it isn't just Lowe and Mac-T. There are assistant coaches, scouts, an assistant GM and coaches on the farm. There are all kinds of people in on this decision who talk regularly. It isn't just 2 people running the ship. Secondly, knowing about hockey, and knowing about players in your own organization are two completely different things. I'm sure there people out there who know more about hockey than a lot of guys in the NHL. But knowing about hockey isn't the issue. The issue is developing pro players, and knowing your own players. And that is where Kevin and Mac-T know more than the rest of us.



Rita hasn't been consistant enough. He has proven he can play in the NHL, he just hasn't proven he the ability to do it everday. And before everyone gets all over me on this one with the same old "he's never been given a chance", this has been argued and argued by me and others. I am clarifying my point because Hemsky4PM is a little off base with his synopsis. It's been argued. I'm not going to budge, you aren't going to budge, so let's just leave it at that.

I'm tired of competing with "Well his stats are..." and "Well maybe he's more consistant than...". The fact of the matter is you can look at stats and see one thing, and I can see a player play and see something completely different, and that is obviously the case here. I don't mind discussing things, but most of this stuff is the same argument being thrown out every post. You aren't going to change my opinion, especially when there is nothing to see. If Rita gets in 20 games and plays well for most of them, then I may change my views, and at that point in time I will say good. I've always stated he will be a solid NHLer, so he will prove me wrong at one point. But for the here and now, I'm not budging.

What a surprise...Doggy isint budging...you never admit when you're wrong, so why should you start now. Rita's call up came, because according to his coach in Toronto he and Bishai were the two most deserving players from the Roadrunners over the last 20 games...I may not be as smart as you DB, but his comments seem to directly contradict your opinion about consistency...and what a joke...you talk about consistency as if it were the only litmus test for a player to be evaluated on in the minors...Rita may (or may not) be consistent with what he brings to the table each night, but he has played well when he got his short stint in the NHL. Besides consistency Rita brings the potential of a gifted offensive player who can put the puck in the net. That says more than a lot of the other guys who got a fair chance and made the Oilers over the last two years (Sarno, Pisani, and Bishai to name a few).

Freudian slips is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 09:30 AM
  #109
Allan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Umm... The year before Pisani was called up, he scored 24-36-60 in 79 games. Those are some pretty good numbers. Also, in the last two years, Rita has played more games than Sarno and Bishai combined, so I'd hardly say they made the team over him, not to mention that the Oilers are desparate for centres (they aren't playing Bishai, and Sarno before him, because they are the best prospects; just the best available centres). I also fail to see where Dawgbone has contradicted himself about consistency. Whether or not you agree with him (I'm somewhere in the middle, if you care), he has been very consistant, or even stubborn, about his arguments.

Allan is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 09:46 AM
  #110
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwass11
What a surprise...Doggy isint budging...you never admit when you're wrong, so why should you start now. Rita's call up came, because according to his coach in Toronto he and Bishai were the two most deserving players from the Roadrunners over the last 20 games...I may not be as smart as you DB, but his comments seem to directly contradict your opinion about consistency...and what a joke...you talk about consistency as if it were the only litmus test for a player to be evaluated on in the minors...Rita may (or may not) be consistent with what he brings to the table each night, but he has played well when he got his short stint in the NHL. Besides consistency Rita brings the potential of a gifted offensive player who can put the puck in the net. That says more than a lot of the other guys who got a fair chance and made the Oilers over the last two years (Sarno, Pisani, and Bishai to name a few).
Firstly, Bishai wasn't called up because he was one of the two most deserving people. He was called up because the Oilers had no other option. So I don't know where you got that quote from, because it can't be true. Bishai has been alright in the AHL, but he isn't anywhere near more deserving to be in the NHL right now than say Salmo, or Lynch, or Allen. In fact, if they are the 2 most deserving, that is a huge slap in the face for Salmo, because night in and night out, he has been the Roadrunners best player.

Sarno and Bishai never made the Oilers. They were both called up because of necessity, and as far as I can tell, Sarno didn't make the Oilers, and Bishai is going back down once Reasoner returns, or Lowe makes a trade.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 10:11 AM
  #111
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Firstly, Bishai wasn't called up because he was one of the two most deserving people. He was called up because the Oilers had no other option. So I don't know where you got that quote from, because it can't be true. Bishai has been alright in the AHL, but he isn't anywhere near more deserving to be in the NHL right now than say Salmo, or Lynch, or Allen. In fact, if they are the 2 most deserving, that is a huge slap in the face for Salmo, because night in and night out, he has been the Roadrunners best player.

Sarno and Bishai never made the Oilers. They were both called up because of necessity, and as far as I can tell, Sarno didn't make the Oilers, and Bishai is going back down once Reasoner returns, or Lowe makes a trade.
1. Yes that was why Bishai was called up - it was in an article in the sun but I am too lazy to find a link
2. Torres didn't put up great numbers in the AHL and wasn't very consistent, and still isn't - but he has 16 goals and I don't hear you complaining he should be sent down due to inconsistent play.
3. Semenov - see point 2. (except the goals part)

The point is that we haven't given Rita a chance to show what he can do. His contract is ending and we need to figure out what to do with him. Given our very poor play this year, what difference would it make if Rita came up and played for 20 games? It can't get any worse.

Your whole argument that he is to inconsistent and isn't deserving a shot up here is moot, his contract is ending, he is a first round pick, has some potential, Lowe isn't sure what to do with him after this year. So let him come up and play for a bit and see what happens? Torres was a nice surprise, why can't Rita be?

s7ark is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 10:29 AM
  #112
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
1. Yes that was why Bishai was called up - it was in an article in the sun but I am too lazy to find a link
2. Torres didn't put up great numbers in the AHL and wasn't very consistent, and still isn't - but he has 16 goals and I don't hear you complaining he should be sent down due to inconsistent play.
3. Semenov - see point 2. (except the goals part)
Torres was very consistant, at least from the time I saw him when he came to Hamilton. He may not have scored in bunches, but the one thing he did everynight was play very physically, and well defensively. And once again, some of you have a very difficult time with this one fact... being inconsistant in the NHL is one thing, especially for young players. It comes with the territory of playing against the best players in the world. Being inconsistant in the AHL is not comparable... so please stop trying to compare it. As for Semenov, after a rough patch, he was very solid. Not only that, but the Oilers had a need they had to fill immediately, and therefore Semenov got playing time and ran with the ball. There is a difference between those situations and Rita.

Quote:
The point is that we haven't given Rita a chance to show what he can do. His contract is ending and we need to figure out what to do with him. Given our very poor play this year, what difference would it make if Rita came up and played for 20 games? It can't get any worse.

Your whole argument that he is to inconsistent and isn't deserving a shot up here is moot, his contract is ending, he is a first round pick, has some potential, Lowe isn't sure what to do with him after this year. So let him come up and play for a bit and see what happens? Torres was a nice surprise, why can't Rita be?
S7ark... going back to my earlier comments. Please read them before calling my points moot. Firstly, what can Rita hurt? As of right now, the team is still in the hunt. Are you going to risk bringing up an inconsistant player from the AHL to help your playoff drive? I sure wouldn't. There is still time left in the season to give Rita his charity shot if the Oilers stumble right after the allstar break. The next 10 games will determine if the Oilers will make the playoffs, as they play something like 6 games against teams they are chasing. If they can't get 8+ points in those 6 games, the season is over and you can start looking towards next year. I understand that the Oilers need to make a decision on him. My earlier posts stated that it's a shame that the Oilers need to give him a charity shot to see if he can do it, as opposed to him forcing them to give him a shot because of his play. Torres also served a reported need on this team... the agitator. The fact that he has been more or less too good to fill that role has been a pleasant suprise. The whole idea was to pair him with Laraque and let them cause stuff... well Torres blew that with some solid offensive play . Rita can be a suprise, and I hope he will be if he gets a shot... but let's please stop trying to crucify Oiler management for this. They are still in the hunt and until they feel they aren't they aren't going to use players who they don't think will help the team.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 11:39 AM
  #113
Marconius
Registered User
 
Marconius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Torres was very consistant, at least from the time I saw him when he came to Hamilton. He may not have scored in bunches, but the one thing he did everynight was play very physically, and well defensively. And once again, some of you have a very difficult time with this one fact... being inconsistant in the NHL is one thing, especially for young players. It comes with the territory of playing against the best players in the world. Being inconsistant in the AHL is not comparable... so please stop trying to compare it. As for Semenov, after a rough patch, he was very solid. Not only that, but the Oilers had a need they had to fill immediately, and therefore Semenov got playing time and ran with the ball. There is a difference between those situations and Rita.



S7ark... going back to my earlier comments. Please read them before calling my points moot. Firstly, what can Rita hurt? As of right now, the team is still in the hunt. Are you going to risk bringing up an inconsistant player from the AHL to help your playoff drive? I sure wouldn't. There is still time left in the season to give Rita his charity shot if the Oilers stumble right after the allstar break. The next 10 games will determine if the Oilers will make the playoffs, as they play something like 6 games against teams they are chasing. If they can't get 8+ points in those 6 games, the season is over and you can start looking towards next year. I understand that the Oilers need to make a decision on him. My earlier posts stated that it's a shame that the Oilers need to give him a charity shot to see if he can do it, as opposed to him forcing them to give him a shot because of his play. Torres also served a reported need on this team... the agitator. The fact that he has been more or less too good to fill that role has been a pleasant suprise. The whole idea was to pair him with Laraque and let them cause stuff... well Torres blew that with some solid offensive play . Rita can be a suprise, and I hope he will be if he gets a shot... but let's please stop trying to crucify Oiler management for this. They are still in the hunt and until they feel they aren't they aren't going to use players who they don't think will help the team.
Dawgbone, I can't help but feel your cutting off your nose to spite your face. You're coming up with all these reasons Rita doesn't deserve a shot, right? At this point, are the Oilers in position to handout callups like special favors? I'd argue no. Hell man, they have a first round pick who has shown he can produce, not necessarily with any consistency, at an NHL level, correct? We can agree on this? Why in the world are they acting like their handing out a callup to Rita is some favor TO HIM. Look at the roster, look at the inconsistency, look at the standings. Maybe Rita's in a position to do US a favor.
It'd be one thing if we were Detroit, then yes, I could see callups to minor leaguers being a big deal. When you have the solidness of depth a team like Detroit has, any rookie that wants to crack the lineup better damn well prove he wants to be there. The Oilers are in no such position. If your ship is sinking and theres a bunch of old leaky life preservers strewn about, wouldn't you open the big mystery box in the middle of the room to see if maybe there were nice shiney new ones? Or would you ignore the big box because itdidn't have a glowing neon sign above it reading "BRAND NEW LEAK-LESS LIFE PRESERVERS"?

Marconius is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.