HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes 5th on HF Organizational Rankings

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Dan

vCash: 500
Coyotes 5th on HF Organizational Rankings

5. Phoenix Coyotes (18)

Hockey's Future Top 10

Strengths: The Coyotes are loaded with depth at all positions and have a ton of size up front. Forwards Kiel McLeod, Jakub Koreis, Martin Podlesak, Jeff Taffe and Ben Eager are all well over 6’2” and all use their size effectively. Goaltender David Leneveu, a second round pick in 2002, has the potential to be a starter in the NHL. Defensively, the Coyotes have a nice blend of skill and toughness between Igor Knyazev and Matthew Spiller.

Weaknesses: While the Coyotes have many prospects that have NHL ability, they appear to be lacking in the top-end talent. Fredrik Sjostrom and Taffe are the only highly skilled players on the forward lines. Several of the large forwards are projects and it remains to be seen whether they will develop into NHL players. Defensive depth is also a concern.

Top Prospects: (G) David Leneveu, (D) Matt Spiller, (D) Igor Knyazev, (F) Fredrik Sjostrom, (C) Jeff Taffe, (C) Jakub Koreis, (F) Lance Monych

Old
02-06-2004, 11:13 AM
eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
5. Phoenix Coyotes (18)

Hockey's Future Top 10

Strengths: The Coyotes are loaded with depth at all positions and have a ton of size up front. Forwards Kiel McLeod, Jakub Koreis, Martin Podlesak, Jeff Taffe and Ben Eager are all well over 62 and all use their size effectively. Goaltender David Leneveu, a second round pick in 2002, has the potential to be a starter in the NHL. Defensively, the Coyotes have a nice blend of skill and toughness between Igor Knyazev and Matthew Spiller.

Weaknesses: While the Coyotes have many prospects that have NHL ability, they appear to be lacking in the top-end talent. Fredrik Sjostrom and Taffe are the only highly skilled players on the forward lines. Several of the large forwards are projects and it remains to be seen whether they will develop into NHL players. Defensive depth is also a concern.

Top Prospects: (G) David Leneveu, (D) Matt Spiller, (D) Igor Knyazev, (F) Fredrik Sjostrom, (C) Jeff Taffe, (C) Jakub Koreis, (F) Lance Monych
The fact they left Redenbach of this list tells it all. Whoever wrote this garbage and contradicted their own views ranking them 5th and then calling most of the prospects projects also tells you a lot about the knowledge of the writer. Lenny is a quality NHL G prospect, Spiller is already there and is showing he is likely no better than a 5th or 6th Dman, Most Falcons fans fell Knyazev is borderline AHL calibre, Sjostrom and Taffe have seen their icetime cut bigtime and Koreis Monych and Eager are all big question marks.

Old
02-06-2004, 11:22 AM
vsmith

Quote:
Jeff Taffe .... well over 6’2” and ...use their size effectively.
does he?

Old
02-06-2004, 11:28 AM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Can't speak of Koreis and Eager as I have never seen them play but you will get no disagreement from anyone in Springfield that McLeod and Podlesak have yet to show anything in their play to justify Phoenix' investment in them.

Old
02-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
The fact they left Redenbach of this list tells it all. Whoever wrote this garbage and contradicted their own views ranking them 5th and then calling most of the prospects projects also tells you a lot about the knowledge of the writer. Lenny is a quality NHL G prospect, Spiller is already there and is showing he is likely no better than a 5th or 6th Dman, Most Falcons fans fell Knyazev is borderline AHL calibre, Sjostrom and Taffe have seen their icetime cut bigtime and Koreis Monych and Eager are all big question marks.
Im a bit confused by some of your points. The writer did not rank them 5th so there is no contradiction there. As I understand it, it is a compilation of the rankings of all 30 team editors, perhaps more. Those kind of things very often lack coherent reasoning by definition.

He called most of the big forward prospects projects? Not sure what is wrong with that. Projects are question marks (as you called them)..?

I saw on the main boards that written pieces were often much longer but had to be heavily edited. Remember also this project was begun at the start of the season so they lack the hindsight we have now.

Old
02-06-2004, 01:15 PM
rbrooks

Send a message via ICQ to rbrooks Send a message via AIM to rbrooks
Just to let you all know I had nothing to do with these ratings.

Old
02-06-2004, 01:19 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
Im a bit confused by some of your points. The writer did not rank them 5th so there is no contradiction there. As I understand it, it is a compilation of the rankings of all 30 team editors, perhaps more. Those kind of things very often lack coherent reasoning by definition.

He called most of the big forward prospects projects? Not sure what is wrong with that. Projects are question marks (as you called them)..?

I saw on the main boards that written pieces were often much longer but had to be heavily edited. Remember also this project was begun at the start of the season so they lack the hindsight we have now.

Thanks for the support, let me clarify a bit more too.

The project was actually started in very late 2003 (right before X-Mas). There are supposed to be 3 done in a year (preseason, midseason, predraft) but because HF underwent some internal changes, the preseason one was not done.

ALL HF staff were invited to join the committee to take part in compiling this list but there was far less than 30 people involved on this one (the top 50 propsects list is being done at teh same time and overlap of contributors was avoided if possible). But, like you said, it was based on averaging out those lists from HF Staff who did volunteer to help out.

The write ups for the teams were longer in most cases, shorter in some others. No names were deleted but extended individual scouting reports on specific players (eg; if there were three lines soley on Jeff Taffe say) they were cut back becaus ethat info should be available on the HF bio pages via the HF team page.

What I find puzzling is that some people are complaining that their team was ranked too high! 5th is pretty darn good isn't it?

Old
02-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Dan

GuyF- We really appreciate the effort in these rankings. Kudos to the people that spent time putting them together.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:49 PM
PhoPhan

I appreciate the rankings for no other reason than it gives us something to talk about.

Old
02-06-2004, 04:23 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
What I find puzzling is that some people are complaining that their team was ranked too high! 5th is pretty darn good isn't it?
Yes, I enjoy these rankings and the writers who produce them, but this is HF after all. I thought that it was someones job to pay attention to the scoring leader in the WHL. But thats just a minor complaint I guess.

I find the pages arent as useful as the boards, since they are always out of date.

Old
02-07-2004, 03:25 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
I find the pages arent as useful as the boards, since they are always out of date.
Again, something you should direct at the HF Staff taking care of your team. Some teams have the same problem so your's isn't the only one. Maybe you could offer to help out, or someone else out there?

Old
02-07-2004, 08:07 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Again, something you should direct at the HF Staff taking care of your team. Some teams have the same problem so your's isn't the only one. Maybe you could offer to help out, or someone else out there?
I would love to offer my writing skills to help out the site. PM me with some details.

Old
02-07-2004, 09:44 AM
hbk

putting together a list for one team is hard enough but to consolidate team lists and trying to keep bias limited is incredibly difficult. Timing of these reports is everything and had this list come out earlier in the year I see the complaints being fewer. Essentially, what has happened is the prospects have already had a three month period to prove the "experts" wrong.

In the case of Phoenix, I find that because there is a very limited Phoenix fan base there are fewer strong opinions and a great deal of grey area. When people aren't close enough to have an opinion they look to physical characteristics or offensive statistics and speculate as to the players development. You end up with players either being underrated (as both Taffe, Sjostrom, and LeNeveu were) or overrated (where players like McLeod, Koreis, and possibly even Eager). Keep in mind we are a franchise that didn't have a pick in the first two rounds last year in the deepest draft in the last ten years (maybe some exaggeration there but at the time that was largely the view) and we jumped over ten spots on the list. Obviously, we are on the upswing of the overrated/underrated cycle this year and likely we'll fall back next year further down the list (and likely justifiably so). Personally, I'd have us in that 11-20 range but again I have the benefit of an extra 4 months of analysis at my fingertips. I don't think anyone here should get to excited about the rankings (either negatively or positively). Just accept them for the conversation piece they are.

Old
02-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
I would love to offer my writing skills to help out the site. PM me with some details.

HollyG is the online editor for HF, if you truly are serious about being interested, PM or email her. You can find her easily enough on the Atlanta board where she's the mod or on the Atlnata home page.

Good Luck!

Old
02-07-2004, 11:17 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
HollyG is the online editor for HF, if you truly are serious about being interested, PM or email her. You can find her easily enough on the Atlanta board where she's the mod or on the Atlnata home page.

Good Luck!
Does being an editor require experience with HTML? I have some background in that area.

Old
02-07-2004, 11:38 AM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
It would be good to have more Coyotes writers on HF.
Hope you will be able to be one PhoPhan.

Old
02-07-2004, 12:34 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain
It would be good to have more Coyotes writers on HF.
Hope you will be able to be one PhoPhan.
I hope so too. I love writing. I haven't had a chance to write for Russ's site (coyotescorner.net) but I'd like to continue to write there. I plan to pursue a career in journalism.

Closed Thread