HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Claude Giroux

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf View Post
The thing that gets me with this list, that I don't see brought up too often (because it may mean nothing), is that the 4 other players on this list all play with another superstar player. Crosby has Malkin. Toews has Kane, and Stamkos had St. Louis. I'm curious now how well Stamkos will do without St. Louis...

Again, it probably doesn't mean a thing, but it's something I've been curious about.

Edit: I want to clarify that I know some of the players I listed don't play on a line together, but it does force the opponent to make the choice of who to play their top defenders against.
I think it matters specifically in the case of Malkin and Stamkos. Stamkos was definitely the driving force there, not St. Louis, but I'd expect his numbers to come down slightly. Malkin usually gets the easier matchups because of Crosby, and he also plays with Neal.

Kane is the one that benefits from Toews.

That said, if Giroux had a complimentary player on his line like Perry, or Neal, I think you'd see him be a consistent 90 point player, rather than 85ish.

Old
04-02-2014, 08:20 AM
Flyerss

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Just imagine a guy like Ovi playing on a line with Giroux though... holy... crap.
yeah he should be a great complimentary piece and not the main piece.

Old
04-02-2014, 08:22 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I think it matters specifically in the case of Malkin and Stamkos. Stamkos was definitely the driving force there, not St. Louis, but I'd expect his numbers to come down slightly. Malkin usually gets the easier matchups because of Crosby, and he also plays with Neal.

Kane is the one that benefits from Toews.

That said, if Giroux had a complimentary player on his line like Perry, or Neal, I think you'd see him be a consistent 90 point player, rather than 85ish.
Kane has played on his own line all year with such stalwarts as versteeg , bickell, saad, and handzus. He is a ppg player and until his recent struggle before his injury he was 2nd in points. Toews played no role in that.

Old
04-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Kane has played on his own line all year with such stalwarts as versteeg , bickell, saad, and handzus. He is a ppg player and until his recent struggle before his injury he was 2nd in points. Toews played no role in that.
Toews get's the more difficult competition and so Kane faces the easier matchups.

Old
04-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Toews get's the more difficult competition and so Kane faces the easier matchups.
During home games Toews line goes up against the other teams top scoring line ( girouxs line) Kanes line goes up against teams best defensive line ( think coots)

Old
04-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
During home games Toews line goes up against the other teams top scoring line ( girouxs line) Kanes line goes up against teams best defensive line ( think coots)
I can't look at most common opponents because my work blocks behind the net, but Kane starts in the D zone only 18% (lowest on team), starts in the Ozone 44.8% of the time (second highest), faces lower quality defenseman than Toews, and much lower quality of forwards.

He plays easier minutes than he would on most other teams, and that is at least partially due to Toews being able to take the tougher minutes.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:21 AM
Jtown

Quote:
I can't look at most common opponents because my work blocks behind the net, but Kane starts in the D zone only 18% (lowest on team), starts in the Ozone 44.8% of the time (second highest), faces lower quality defenseman than Toews, and much lower quality of forwards.

He plays easier minutes than he would on most other teams, and that is at least partially due to Toews being able to take the tougher minutes.
The Blackhawks have an abnormal amount of starts in the ozone to begin with. Are the quality of dmen offensive dmen or defensive dmen like a shutdown pair?

Either way kane gets to play with less talent and it hasnt effected his scoring at all. Meanwhile Toews is playing with some of the best wingers in the game and is not going to be a ppg player as the number 1 center on the highest scoring team in the league...

That almost never happens and cant think of a time it did happen.

Old
04-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

no points in the last 2 games.
trade the bum

Old
04-07-2014, 09:57 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

He's looked pretty lackluster the last few games

Passing up some good scoring chances in order to set someone up

Old
04-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Hiesenberg

He stinks...let him get it out now.

Old
04-07-2014, 10:20 AM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
He's looked pretty lackluster the last few games

Passing up some good scoring chances in order to set someone up
Problem is so many of his shots are missing the net or getting blocked too. I do wish G would shoot more in general though, he can score a lot when he does.

That chance he had in front of Rask when he decided to pass to Raffl.. can't make those extra passes, especially to Raffl. Then Hartnell ****ing up that slap pass against Buffalo. Passing to Voracek on the goal line instead of shooting against Buffalo too. Bad decisions to pass and linemates that can't handle the passes.

I wish we had someone better than Hartnell to play LW. Schenn would be better. Hartnell's at 49 points, Schenn at 41 but Hartnell has 20 PP points to Schenn's 9 and Hartnell also gets more ice time. I'd like to see what Schenn can do with his minutes.

Last edited by blinds: 04-07-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old
04-07-2014, 10:25 AM
flyershockey

Last night was one of those nights where he was doing everything except getting on the board. He could've just as easily finished the night with 3 points had a couple of bounces gone the other way.

Old
04-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Last night was one of those nights where he was doing everything except getting on the board. He could've just as easily finished the night with 3 points had a couple of bounces gone the other way.
Agreed. The first line could have had 5 goals. Some great plays and chances, which is important.

I think Giroux was getting a bit worn down. He really leaves it all on the ice every night and they have been through a wicked stretch of games vs. top teams/topCs.

He's also had to contend, esp. in road games, with the other teams' best checkers (Bergeron/Kelly, Backes/Sobotka, etc.). He's not a big guy and I'm sure he's a bit worn down. It's also possible that any of our players could be playing a bit hurt too.

G looked like he had his energy back last night. Now they all need to play well in FLA.

Old
04-07-2014, 05:39 PM
MayonnaiseOreo

Really hoping Giroux will hit at least 82 points on the season. It's a bummer that he hasn't been putting up any points in the last few games since I wanted him to pass Getzlaf in points. He had a really good shot at doing so with the way he was on fire but so long as the team makes the playoffs and he puts up numbers then, I'll be happy.

Old
04-08-2014, 06:49 AM

G fires back tonight.

Old
04-08-2014, 07:05 AM
dats81

he needs to act a little more selfish and shoot more! I guess, he knows what has gone wrong the last couple of games...

Old
04-08-2014, 10:52 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
he needs to act a little more selfish and shoot more! I guess, he knows what has gone wrong the last couple of games...
Exactly! Giroux passes way too much even when he has an open shot at the net he dishes it off to his linemate....shoot the puck G!

04-08-2014, 09:19 PM

Yeh, he's shooting.

Old
04-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Cuiff

Nice to see he is back from ir.....:-)

Old
04-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Curufinwe

Three more for his first 30 goal season.

Old
04-09-2014, 02:48 AM
blinds

Was hoping he was gonna get a hat trick with Ellis being terrible, too bad we **** the bed in the third.

He needs just 1 point in 3 games to get another consecutive PPG season. Not bad considering the start, hopefully he can return to 11-12 form next season though. Or during the playoffs, that would work too lol.

Old
04-09-2014, 02:54 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Was hoping he was gonna get a hat trick with Ellis being terrible, too bad we **** the bed in the third.

He needs just 1 point in 3 games to get another consecutive PPG season. Not bad considering the start, hopefully he can return to 11-12 form next season though. Or during the playoffs, that would work too lol.
For all intents and purposes, he has returned to 11-12 form. Since the first five games, he's been a 90 point player. Not far off from the 99 point player he was in 11-12. I think that pace will be a career high, but he's back to being a PPG+ player. His numbers may only be PPG this year, but it's obvious that the Giroux of the first five games (even longer than that if you want to be more lenient with the numbers) is not the Giroux on the ice these days.

Old
04-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
For all intents and purposes, he has returned to 11-12 form. Since the first five games, he's been a 90 point player.
Well that can't be true because he only scored 90+ in 11-12 because he played with Jagr and because Laviolette was the coach.

Old
04-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Three more for his first 30 goal season.
Then he'd move from "He's never even scored 30" to "He's only scored 30 once"

Old
04-09-2014, 09:20 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Then he'd move from "He's never even scored 30" to "He's only scored 30 once"
#hflogic

Closed Thread