HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4/1: AV returns to Vancouver (McDonagh injury "not serious")

View Poll Results: 3 stars pls
Hank 107 83.59%
Hagelin 4 3.13%
D-Step 7 5.47%
Nash 20 15.63%
MSL finally (yes, I'm allowing him to be in the poll tonight) 68 53.13%
Richards 3 2.34%
Dom Masterton Moore 10 7.81%
Zucca 23 17.97%
Brassard 14 10.94%
Pouliot 43 33.59%
Boyle 7 5.47%
Carcillo 22 17.19%
Dorsett 5 3.91%
Staal 6 4.69%
Stralman 4 3.13%
McDonagh 26 20.31%
G 11 8.59%
Diaz 4 3.13%
Klein 3 2.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-02-2014, 07:12 AM
  #251
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil
 
NYRFANMANI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ye Old Saarbrücken
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 500
what a POS hit by a POS

NYRFANMANI is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 07:13 AM
  #252
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,253
vCash: 873
Sucks our guy got hurt, but I have zero problem with a guy playing whistle to whistle regardless of time on clock or score.

Looks like McD went into the boards awkwardly but I didn't see an elbow to the dome or anything like that.

Wish we had guys that initiated contact like that regardless of score or time on the clock.

Hope McD is ready to play the next game (would sit him out for precautionary measures).

pld459666 is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 07:19 AM
  #253
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Sucks our guy got hurt, but I have zero problem with a guy playing whistle to whistle regardless of time on clock or score.

Looks like McD went into the boards awkwardly but I didn't see an elbow to the dome or anything like that.

Wish we had guys that initiated contact like that regardless of score or time on the clock.

Hope McD is ready to play the next game (would sit him out for precautionary measures).
What I don't get is that since Kassian already had McDonagh seems like that wasn't even the best hockey play. What would that play do even if there was no penalty?

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 07:26 AM
  #254
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Sucks our guy got hurt, but I have zero problem with a guy playing whistle to whistle regardless of time on clock or score.

Looks like McD went into the boards awkwardly but I didn't see an elbow to the dome or anything like that.

Wish we had guys that initiated contact like that regardless of score or time on the clock.

Hope McD is ready to play the next game (would sit him out for precautionary measures).
The dirtiness of the hit wasn't the type of hit. It was: (1) the time of the game, (2) the score, (3) the fact that another player was going to hit him, (4) hands to the face.

Regardless, They're saying it's not serious, so hopefully that means at most he misses the regular season's final 5 games. I might sit him for 3 of them anyway.

jerseyjinx94 is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 07:37 AM
  #255
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,253
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
What I don't get is that since Kassian already had McDonagh seems like that wasn't even the best hockey play. What would that play do even if there was no penalty?
help seperate player from puck. two guys on one in that situation, jar the puck loose work the puck tot he front see what happens.

Again, that's Burrows. He's going to throw that hit a minute into the game, in the 2nd period and with less than a minute to go.

I like that kind of player. I like a physical brand of hockey. I prefer to have our guys finish off checks then peel away.

Especially in the offensive zone. Hits like that wear defenceman down. Hits like that are meant to hurt the opponent. Something I do not, nor have I ever had a problem with.

Hurting a guy with a check and trying to injury a guy to me are not one and the same.

An elbow to the head like Murray on Kostka tonight in the TB-MON game is a deliberate attempt to injure. This hit by Burrows was intended to hurt McD.

To me, there's a difference. Some may not see the difference, that's ok.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 07:41 AM
  #256
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
help seperate player from puck. two guys on one in that situation, jar the puck loose work the puck tot he front see what happens.

Again, that's Burrows. He's going to throw that hit a minute into the game, in the 2nd period and with less than a minute to go.

I like that kind of player. I like a physical brand of hockey. I prefer to have our guys finish off checks then peel away.

Especially in the offensive zone. Hits like that wear defenceman down. Hits like that are meant to hurt the opponent. Something I do not, nor have I ever had a problem with.

Hurting a guy with a check and trying to injury a guy to me are not one and the same.

An elbow to the head like Murray on Kostka tonight in the TB-MON game is a deliberate attempt to injure. This hit by Burrows was intended to hurt McD.

To me, there's a difference. Some may not see the difference, that's ok.
Just because he may not have intended to hurt McD doesn't mean the hit wasn't a cheap shot. There was no need to get his hands up and to sandwich McD at that point in the game.

I have a huge problem with the bolded portion of your quote. Sorry, I don't want my guys throwing hits that are meant to hurt opponents. Finishing checks is one thing. That wasn't a finished check. He got his hands up to his face.

jerseyjinx94 is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 07:45 AM
  #257
DudMan28
Registered User
 
DudMan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
The dirtiness of the hit wasn't the type of hit. It was: (1) the time of the game, (2) the score, (3) the fact that another player was going to hit him, (4) hands to the face.

Regardless, They're saying it's not serious, so hopefully that means at most he misses the regular season's final 5 games. I might sit him for 3 of them anyway.
Time of the game and the score shouldn't make a difference. The game is 60 minutes long, players are going to play the full 60 minutes.

It's McDonagh, so I can understand why everyone is calling for Burrows' head. In reality though, the hit was more awkward than vicious.

DudMan28 is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 07:49 AM
  #258
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,253
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
The dirtiness of the hit wasn't the type of hit. It was: (1) the time of the game, (2) the score, (3) the fact that another player was going to hit him, (4) hands to the face.

Regardless, They're saying it's not serious, so hopefully that means at most he misses the regular season's final 5 games. I might sit him for 3 of them anyway.
(1) I could care less the time of the game. I prefer guys that play hard whistle to whistle.

(2) I could care less the score of the game. See above

(3) Kassian was on him, but with McD's superior skating ability, there's a better than average chance he skates away from danger there.

(4) Didn't see hands to the face and since we know this an arm thing, the hands to the face is non-issue (to me at least).

I'm not one of the guys that wants fights at the cost of the game. But I would like a team that can respond better in these situations.

It's not how the team is structured, I've come to accept that. Sather and his cronies do not know how to identify that type of talent, or they DO know how to identify it and choose not to acquire it via trade, signing or draft.

The McIlrath pick doesn't change anything. It's charachter trait that is lacking in very large percentage of our prospect pool.


Last edited by pld459666: 04-02-2014 at 07:58 AM.
pld459666 is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 07:52 AM
  #259
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Sathers Cigar View Post
Say what you will about Torts, but I highly doubt he told Daniel Sedin and Alexandre Burrows to go after McDonagh. Just two individual players making questionable plays.

I HIGHLY doubt Torts told his team to go out there and target McDonagh. If anything at all, the players are making that call.
Then why is Burrows of all people on the ice when Vancouver needs a goal?

Have you seen what his numbers look like this season?

Torts knew what he was doing.

CM Lundqvist is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 07:55 AM
  #260
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,253
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
Just because he may not have intended to hurt McD doesn't mean the hit wasn't a cheap shot. There was no need to get his hands up and to sandwich McD at that point in the game.

I have a huge problem with the bolded portion of your quote. Sorry, I don't want my guys throwing hits that are meant to hurt opponents. Finishing checks is one thing. That wasn't a finished check. He got his hands up to his face.
I absolutely do. We view the game differently. No harm in that.

The hands to the face is not what hurt McD. The hands to the face is a non-issue.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 07:58 AM
  #261
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://nypost.com/2014/04/02/marty-s...ecure-victory/

The Rangers cannot afford McDonagh to not be McDonagh. He could probably play banged up but he won't be as effective.

John Moore get ready. Is McDonagh playing tomorrow night?
At a certain point, AV may have to think about resting some of these guys. That first round series against Philly is going to be an absolute grudge-match. Make sure the players are healthy.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 07:59 AM
  #262
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,123
vCash: 500
Awards:
Nothing wrong with the Burrows hit. He's playing hard at the end of a game. If the game was out of hand, a blowout, that would be one thing. It wasn't, though. If it was a blowout, or we were in comfortable control, McDonagh wouldn't have been out there. He was out there because we needed to close out the game. Burrows was playing till the end, which is something that should be expected from every player at every level.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 08:02 AM
  #263
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
help seperate player from puck. two guys on one in that situation, jar the puck loose work the puck tot he front see what happens.

Again, that's Burrows. He's going to throw that hit a minute into the game, in the 2nd period and with less than a minute to go.

I like that kind of player. I like a physical brand of hockey. I prefer to have our guys finish off checks then peel away.

Especially in the offensive zone. Hits like that wear defenceman down. Hits like that are meant to hurt the opponent. Something I do not, nor have I ever had a problem with.

Hurting a guy with a check and trying to injury a guy to me are not one and the same.

An elbow to the head like Murray on Kostka tonight in the TB-MON game is a deliberate attempt to injure. This hit by Burrows was intended to hurt McD.

To me, there's a difference. Some may not see the difference, that's ok.
Seems like if he went for the puck instead of the highlight reel hit, they'd have a better shot at scoring. Plus, McD was engaged with Kassian, there's very good chance he'll get hurt from that hit. It looked like intent to injure or at the very least stupidity to me.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 08:06 AM
  #264
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,466
vCash: 500
As far as the hit goes--it was a sandwich job. They happen. Burrows came in a bit high. It wasn't really what I'd call dirty. I doubt there is going to be a suspension. Girardi gave him a shot. Then others piled in. The anti-toughness guys want Girardi to fight Burrows.-??? Girardi's fought occasionally in the past but that's not really in his character. Want guys who will fight? get a tougher team. It's not like I'd be expecting the reverse from McD if it were Girardi that got nailed. I really wouldn't.

This 'team toughness' crap I first heard from Emile Francis in the 70's after he'd traded away Irvine, Butler and Sather to the Blues for John Davidson. That more or less meant Rod Gilbert was going to protect Jean Ratelle or Bill Fairbairn was going to protect Walt Tkaczuk every time that Schultz and Saleski and Dupont ganged up on them. It doesn't work. Wound up watching 5'8 Ed Johnstone of the 23 broken noses getting pummeled a lot because he didn't take a lot of ****. As far as fighting goes--you either got it in you or you don't. As far as this year's team it's up to the officials and the league to protect us when **** goes awry--however well they're up to that job. There is Carcillo and Dorsett. Dorsett reminds me a bit of Johnstone--just not as good of a player.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 08:09 AM
  #265
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Nothing wrong with the Burrows hit. He's playing hard at the end of a game. If the game was out of hand, a blowout, that would be one thing. It wasn't, though. If it was a blowout, or we were in comfortable control, McDonagh wouldn't have been out there. He was out there because we needed to close out the game. Burrows was playing till the end, which is something that should be expected from every player at every level.
I kinda agree of course, but also kind of not.

We really got no argument to scream bloody murderer. Its a hit that looked at isolated can't be said much about. A bit over the top, but not illigal.

But they are down by 2 with 35 seconds on the clock. Burrows don't go in to take the puck, take McD out of the play etc, he goes in to make a big hit. Normally a hit like that is made to make the other team keep their heads up -- and there is nothing wrong with that, its part of the game -- but you definitely do not see many of them with 35 sec left on the clock...

Ola is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 08:10 AM
  #266
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,237
vCash: 500
If the Canucks can do this to us, imagine a real team in the playoffs. This is very worrisome:

The Canucks, facing elimination from the playoffs, were a desperate team and played like it, hemming the Rangers in most of the way. The Blueshirts were unable to create much time and space. Their defensemen were reduced to attempting to simply bang the puck out of the zone rather than make plays and then join the attack.
“We played a bit more in our end than we want to,” Staal said. “We weren’t able to find the middle of the ice like we normally do.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 08:10 AM
  #267
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,253
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Seems like if he went for the puck instead of the highlight reel film, they'd have a better shot at scoring. Plus, McD was engaged with Kassian, there's very good chance he'll get hurt from that hit. It looked like intent to injure or at the very least stupidity to me.
Maybe, maybe not.

In that situation, I prefer for my players to seperate player from puck using their physicality.

We view things differently.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 08:13 AM
  #268
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
At a certain point, AV may have to think about resting some of these guys. That first round series against Philly is going to be an absolute grudge-match. Make sure the players are healthy.
Despite being all but assured of a playoff spot at this point the Rangers are still fighting for positioning, you don't let off the gas and coast into the playoffs at this point, that's a bad bad idea. AV has been great at rolling 4 lines and giving the team rest days this season, I don't think that they need a rest in general. If McDonagh needs some time I think he'll sit but it'd be idiotic to sit a bunch of other players to "rest up" for the playoffs at this point.

Keep going, try to clinch 2nd in the division, keep the team hot and ready to do damage in the playoffs.

Levitate is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 08:15 AM
  #269
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,253
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
If the Canucks can do this to us, imagine a real team in the playoffs. This is very worrisome:

The Canucks, facing elimination from the playoffs, were a desperate team and played like it, hemming the Rangers in most of the way. The Blueshirts were unable to create much time and space. Their defensemen were reduced to attempting to simply bang the puck out of the zone rather than make plays and then join the attack.
“We played a bit more in our end than we want to,” Staal said. “We weren’t able to find the middle of the ice like we normally do.
I think we can agree that that right there IS Torts type of hockey.

Keep every thing to the outside. Shut off all prime scoring areas (ie front of the net)

Rangers were great at that during his tenure here and the Canucks were good at that last night.

Lack of finishing hurt VAN last night which is also a common Torts style problem.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 08:16 AM
  #270
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Despite being all but assured of a playoff spot at this point the Rangers are still fighting for positioning, you don't let off the gas and coast into the playoffs at this point, that's a bad bad idea. AV has been great at rolling 4 lines and giving the team rest days this season, I don't think that they need a rest in general. If McDonagh needs some time I think he'll sit but it'd be idiotic to sit a bunch of other players to "rest up" for the playoffs at this point.

Keep going, try to clinch 2nd in the division, keep the team hot and ready to do damage in the playoffs.
If there are players playing with nagging injuries, it wouldn't be the dumbest move to make at game 81 and 82. Not now, I agree.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 08:17 AM
  #271
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
If the Canucks can do this to us, imagine a real team in the playoffs. This is very worrisome:

The Canucks, facing elimination from the playoffs, were a desperate team and played like it, hemming the Rangers in most of the way. The Blueshirts were unable to create much time and space. Their defensemen were reduced to attempting to simply bang the puck out of the zone rather than make plays and then join the attack.
“We played a bit more in our end than we want to,” Staal said. “We weren’t able to find the middle of the ice like we normally do.
I mean...it's a Torts team and this is kind of how Vancouver has played recently. They forecheck hard and work hard but they suck at getting to the middle of the ice and scoring goals, but that doesn't make it easy to play them.

The only team that's scary in the east is Boston and we can hope someone manages to take them out before the Rangers would assumedly face them in the ECF (if they make it there).

Getting bent out of shape about "oh my god a REAL team is going to kill this team!" is silly considering the Rangers overall body of work since December and the fact that in the NHL even the crappy teams can give you a run for your money on any given night.

Levitate is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 08:19 AM
  #272
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
Would rather lose Hank than McD at this point, quite frankly.

I'm not too concerned about McDonagh. I've seen worse happen to him while coming out unscathed.
Agree 1000%. Talbot would be fine in the net; there is no one on the Rangers or in the Eastern Conference who plays defense like this guy. Losing him means thinking about next year.

Bardof425* is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 08:21 AM
  #273
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
If there are players playing with nagging injuries, it wouldn't be the dumbest move to make at game 81 and 82. Not now, I agree.
Yeah, though I can't think of anyone who seems to be playing with an injury at this point other than the obvious injuries to John Moore and now McDonagh. Yeah I'd rather McDonagh sit some games if he needs that to heal up for the playoffs though...hopefully it is nothing serious and we won't be talking about weeks of recovery time.

On the bright side good thing they picked up Diaz, he seems quite solid and while it isn't nearly as good without McDonagh, the D seems like it should be steady enough for awhile

Levitate is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 08:21 AM
  #274
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I think we can agree that that right there IS Torts type of hockey.

Keep every thing to the outside. Shut off all prime scoring areas (ie front of the net)

Rangers were great at that during his tenure here and the Canucks were good at that last night.

Lack of finishing hurt VAN last night which is also a common Torts style problem.
We could still have scored 5 goal last night. Missed net on a breakaway, missed net on a tip in, Poo getting robbed, missed tip in by Zucc. These Canucks are not as good defensively as the Rangers the last 2 years under Torts, not by a long shot.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
04-02-2014, 08:25 AM
  #275
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post
I'm no doctor, but I think McDonagh will be fine. At most will miss one playoffs series, which we'll be fine anyways IMO.

Keep calm
If he misses a playoff series there won't be another playoff series; this year.

Bardof425* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.