HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Draft - Philadelphia - Rounds 2-7 9:00 AM NHLN

Old
03-22-2014, 01:43 PM
RCola88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxPreds View Post
That's the comparison some people are making. I'm mostly just passing on information I read so it's not like I get to watch these guys directly, but some would say he compares somewhat to lucic.

Here's a nice lengthy highlight video to compare with

http://youtu.be/RztPZLG34D0
Definitely seems like a guy the Preds would pick. Love his shot, if he's 3/4th the player Lucic is I'll be happy.

I'd slot him in at #4 on a realistic chance want at the draft. Behind Dal Colle, Draisaitl, and Ehlers. Him and Nylander are tied for me

RCola88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 02:54 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Yeah, because the Penguins really regret losing those few games back in the spring of 2004.

They would totally trade Sidney Crosby in order to go back and have beaten the Capitals on March 30th 2004.
Yeah, except the pens got crosby via a draft lottery after the lockout... their 04 record had zero to do with it.... nice story though...

And more to the point, there are no Crosby types in this draft, and there is no way we can tank enough at this point to move up more than one spot, from 6 to 5, maybe two spots if carolina and calgary both start winning. That is most definitely not worth destroying a teams psyche.

Edit: I see other folks covered this as well...

Last edited by PredsV82: 03-22-2014 at 03:00 PM.
PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Yeah, except the pens got crosby via a draft lottery after the lockout... their 04 record had zero to do with it.... nice story though...

And more to the point, there are no Crosby types in this draft, and there is no way we can tank enough at this point to move up more than one spot, from 6 to 5, maybe two spots if carolina and calgary both start winning. That is most definitely not worth destroying a teams psyche.

Edit: I see other folks covered this as well...
But but but

What about the HF posters psyche Doc that's far more important.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

What do you think it would cost to move up from the 6-9th pick into the top 2 or the third pick?

03-22-2014, 06:59 PM
GeauxPreds

Probably something rather sizeable considering there's the top 3 as clear tier of talent, and then dal colle and draisaitl at 4/5 are arguably another tier(though someone would say dal colle is in a tier between) and then 6-9 is basically hayden fleury and a ton of forwards that all have pretty high offensive upside but some question marks to their game in other areas.

GeauxPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Byrddog

If the standings stay the same

1st would take Jones + our 1st and possibly a 2nd and prospect with Buffalo
2nd Jones + I don't see the Oil being easy to deal with at all when they can have Ekblad
3 Florida is the wild card They have holes on both ends they filled the goalie issue we have nothing other than Hook and FF they would be interested in offensively so your problably looking at Josi + another pick or prospect.

The draft is thin it will hurt to move up and I just do not see creating a hole or two holes to fill one with one of these top three. Now if it were last year you bet McKinnon would have been worth that maybe more.

We will pick were we land or trade the pick for a prospect that's closer to NHL ready.

Old
03-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Are you kidding me byrd?

Jones has higher value than anyone in this draft. Alone. Easily.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Are you kidding me byrd?

Jones has higher value than anyone in this draft. Alone. Easily.
No im not kidding Buffalo has a boat load of offensive prospects. They can add Reinhart or they will make someone seriously over pay to get him due to this draft having 3 players maybe just two that will see time in the NHL Reinhart and Ekblad are pretty sure bets. Bennett has a shot. The others are a crap shoot. There will be a surprise or two come out there always is. But Buffalo really has zero reasons to trade the first pick.

Put it this way there pick is unlike Weber for us. Its not 100% unmovable but its gonna take a boat load to get Weber.

Old
03-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Soundgarden

It's not going to take someone like Jones to trade up. Looking at this historically it's a lot less. Now it all depends on where we land, but if we're at 4-5 and want to move up to one it won't be as expensive as Byrddog says. Obviously our first will be part of any deal to move up, but it won't take a future star.

I think we could realistically move up to 3-5 while from 6-9 at the cost of two 2nds or something similar. Maybe our 1st Ellis+ 2nd for 4th overall.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
No im not kidding Buffalo has a boat load of offensive prospects. They can add Reinhart or they will make someone seriously over pay to get him due to this draft having 3 players maybe just two that will see time in the NHL Reinhart and Ekblad are pretty sure bets. Bennett has a shot. The others are a crap shoot. There will be a surprise or two come out there always is. But Buffalo really has zero reasons to trade the first pick.

Put it this way there pick is unlike Weber for us. Its not 100% unmovable but its gonna take a boat load to get Weber.
Jones>>>>>>> anyone in this draft no way it cost that much. If the 1st overall is worth that much then let's hope for a lottery win just to fleece a team.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 09:46 PM
Byrddog

Im not saying its worth it at all. I have watched Buffalo blow there team apart to rebuild. Reinhart is the Prize in this draft and it will take a HUGE overpayment. I mention Jones due to the fact they would add him to Earhoff and Meyers to there top 4. They would not have any interestin any other pieces we have.

Again just as with Weber it would take a HUGE overpayment to get him away from Nashville. There are no other pieces on our roster that would entice Buffalo to consider moving that pick short of Jones Josi Weber or Rinne being part of it.

Again I am not suggesting that we move any of these players nor am I overvaluing them. But our pick and Ellis or Ekholm or Smith is not going to get us the first pick.

Old
03-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I figured that this was your reasoning. I hear what you are saying. Obviously, Buffalo doesn't need picks. They need talent. It would take a roster player that they liked to get their attention.

Old
03-22-2014, 11:27 PM
GeauxPreds

If the preds wanted to move up to 3rd from 6 or 7 this year to get one of the Reinheart/bennet it would probably take something along the lines of

Our first+Ryan Ellis/MDZ+2nd and maybe a late round pick. Not sure that gets anyone to bite or that the preds are willing to give that up but that's probably what I'd guess it would cost. The first overall would probably be more than that but if a 1st overall is being traded its almost always going to be for an overpayment. If a team at 3 isn't as sure on Bennet (assuming Reinhart/Ekbald go 1 and 2 respectively) then the Preds might have a slim chance of moving up to 3 to get him. Alternatively, if that team at 3 is really hurting for a dman prospect out of this draft instead with ekbald already gone they can probably trade down to 6/7 and pick up fleury there. Outside of those incredibly unlikely scenarios though I don't see it happening.

GeauxPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 12:44 PM
INDhockeyfan

I don't see the top 3 trading their pick unless it is with each other. We have to win the lottery and given the preds luck it is doubtful.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Predsrule

So jones as a prospect > exblad.. But yet it would take jones + .. If we offered jones to the team looking to draft exblad they would take it easy no + anything from Nashville

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Top 6 Spaling

What I want:

-Take one of Reinhart/Bennet/Dal Colle/Draisaitl with out first pick. Best one left will probably be Draisaitl

-Trade Ellis/MDZ+(2nd? 3rd?) to get a pick to draft Jake Virtanen, especially if he falls a little bit. All he does is score goals.

Future line-up becomes:

Smith-Drais-Forsberg
Virtanen-Jarnkorok-Wilson
Hornqvist/Leipsic/Watson/Spaling/Sissons/Salokami/Aberg/Bourque

Weber-Josi
Jones-MDZ/Ellis
Ekholm-Jarvinen/Diaby

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 07:58 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We have now clawed ourselves into the 9th place drafting spot. We are doing our best to not get a forward

Old
03-26-2014, 12:35 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
We have now clawed ourselves into the 9th place drafting spot. We are doing our best to not get a forward

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:42 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
A) it's an even year and Poile will be getting a forward

B) The first round of the draft is not heavy with defensemen.

BUT

C) Preds at 9 would be in prime position to draft Haydn Fleury defensemen.

*Closes the windows to keep the fans from going on the ledge.*

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:44 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Just for those who never seen the thoughts and observations on the OCDish drafter that is David Poile

The David Poile Draft Primer

1. Even Years Forwards, odd years defense

David Poile ALWAYS drafts even years forwards and odd years defense in the first round. Last year was 2013 Seth Jones. Was he the best player availible? Yes. But still the pattern holds. This year is 2014 and it should be a forward in the first round.

Why?

101st fan has quoted a THN stat. 100% of 1st rounders are expected to make the NHL where as there is only a 30% chance of making the NHL. David Poile drafts like a stockbroker and hedges his bets. Which leads to #2

2) Yes, Poile will draft the 1st round in a pattern but he drafts his lower picks in the opposite pattern and mostly BPA.

When David Poile drafts a 1st rounder in one way, he block drafts in the other direction with lower picks. Makes sense when you look at the odds. 100% chance of getting a forward, a good chance the monkey flinging poo with multiple picks at one position will turn up an NHLer at the other position.

3) The 'Worst' Collalary. David Poile will take a European Flyer in the Late rounds and most of the time he will hit.

Named for Worst Faceoff Manuver Ever. Yeah, Pekka Rinne, Karlis Skratins (RIP), Mikko Lehtonen, Patric Hornqvist, Anders Lindback, Marek Mazanec, and Martin Erat say hello.

These are guys who NEVER should have gotten a sniff in the NHL because of their rounds and they are productive, or at least get to the NHL, players.

4) David Poile loves him some 3rd and 4th rounders.

This is a combo theory between myself and Worst.

3rds and 4ths in the draft

2013: Jon-Ismael Diaby, Felix Girard, Juuse Saros (I could see all 3 in the NHL)
2012: Jimmy Vesey, Brendan Leipsic, Zach Stepan, Mikko Vainonen (Vesey is a beast for Harvard, Leipsic was a monster scorer for the WinterHawks the other 2 we shall see)
2011: Josh Shalla, Garrett Noonan (Noonan could be a hidden gem. 4 yr senior for BU)
2010: Taylor Aronson
2009: Taylor Beck, Micheal Latta, Craig Smith, Mattias Ekholm, Nick Oliver (4 NHLers.)

X) [Defunked rule] David Poile loves his Ryans

Damn you Suter, Damn you all to hell.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:36 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Just for those who never seen the thoughts and observations on the OCDish drafter that is David Poile

The David Poile Draft Primer

1. Even Years Forwards, odd years defense

David Poile ALWAYS drafts even years forwards and odd years defense in the first round. Last year was 2013 Seth Jones. Was he the best player availible? Yes. But still the pattern holds. This year is 2014 and it should be a forward in the first round.

Why?

101st fan has quoted a THN stat. 100% of 1st rounders are expected to make the NHL where as there is only a 30% chance of making the NHL. David Poile drafts like a stockbroker and hedges his bets. Which leads to #2

2) Yes, Poile will draft the 1st round in a pattern but he drafts his lower picks in the opposite pattern and mostly BPA.

When David Poile drafts a 1st rounder in one way, he block drafts in the other direction with lower picks. Makes sense when you look at the odds. 100% chance of getting a forward, a good chance the monkey flinging poo with multiple picks at one position will turn up an NHLer at the other position.

3) The 'Worst' Collalary. David Poile will take a European Flyer in the Late rounds and most of the time he will hit.

Named for Worst Faceoff Manuver Ever. Yeah, Pekka Rinne, Karlis Skratins (RIP), Mikko Lehtonen, Patric Hornqvist, Anders Lindback, Marek Mazanec, and Martin Erat say hello.

These are guys who NEVER should have gotten a sniff in the NHL because of their rounds and they are productive, or at least get to the NHL, players.

4) David Poile loves him some 3rd and 4th rounders.

This is a combo theory between myself and Worst.

3rds and 4ths in the draft

2013: Jon-Ismael Diaby, Felix Girard, Juuse Saros (I could see all 3 in the NHL)
2012: Jimmy Vesey, Brendan Leipsic, Zach Stepan, Mikko Vainonen (Vesey is a beast for Harvard, Leipsic was a monster scorer for the WinterHawks the other 2 we shall see)
2011: Josh Shalla, Garrett Noonan (Noonan could be a hidden gem. 4 yr senior for BU)
2010: Taylor Aronson
2009: Taylor Beck, Micheal Latta, Craig Smith, Mattias Ekholm, Nick Oliver (4 NHLers.)

X) [Defunked rule] David Poile loves his Ryans

Damn you Suter, Damn you all to hell.
Nice. Keep an eye on the 3rd and 4th round for are next stud

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 09:01 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

With Winnipeg's win last night, as of today, we draft 6th. Plus, Detroit is in position to give us that 2nd.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 09:08 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
With Winnipeg's win last night, as of today, we draft 6th. Plus, Detroit is in position to give us that 2nd.
It looks like anywhere from 10 to 6. Hopefully Carolina, Jets, and Ottawa keep winning. The Canucks will win some games.

Detroit has Buffalo twice this week.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 10:11 AM
AintLifeGrand

latest my NHL draft has us picking ritchie at 9 … Ehlers is at 6.

I think if Ehlers is still available we take him.

My updated draft board

1. Ehlers
2. Draisatl
3. DalColle
4. Nylander
5. Ritchie

Do not want any part of Perlini, Fluery, or Virtanen

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:13 PM
GeauxPreds