Notices

Jack Campbell

Old
03-16-2014, 10:26 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy963 View Post
8 wins, 1 loss, 1.10 g.a.a., 957%, 2 so, 10ga on 233shots.. Appears as if he had plenty of time to meditate while rehabbing that injury of his.. Exciting stuff, love Kari but never know with his injury problems(not including his most recent). I hate to say it but Nieuwy may have made the right call passing on fowler, I know the scouting staff had him ranked at 3 as the next franchise player behind was it hall and seguin? I can't recall. Either way if we give the scouting staff credit for Campbell we can't blame nieuwendyk for Glennie.. It's not like the kid was from Cornell university. I think it was the right call.. He's developing at a good rate for a young goaltender.
Actually you easily can. It's already been reported the scouting staff wanted Kulikov, but Nieuwy wouldn't take a Russian. So, despite being an advocate for years that the scouting staff deserves credit and fallout for picks, I wouldn't have thought a rookie GM days on the job would pull such an idiotic move. Unfortunately that appears to be exactly what happened. It's the only reasonable explanation of drafting a kid the scouting department never once interviewed.

Also ... I understand where you were going with the Fowler comment, but you're likely in the minority. I'm with you though that Campbell wasn't a bad big, but more than anything I hope at some point we can just talk about Campbell on his merits alone without rehashing the defenders. Honestly ... pretty damn impressed this thread has been up since September without Fowler being mentioned. This can turn into an ugly debate here so I'll move on the more important point.

No ... Nieuwendyk gets no credit here either. He turned around and fired the guy responsible for the Campbell pick so he clearly wasn't on board with this.

A rookie GM with little scouting experience being so heavily involved with the scouting department is a huge red flag, and as much as I love and defended Niuewendyk, the more news that comes out about his tenure makes me realize he wasn't right for the job. I feel for him being handicapped by the banks most of his tenure, but he's not a Jim Nill or Les Jackson type scouting guru that should have his fingerprints over a draft. Even the absurd shotgun approach to drafting mostly one position was crazy. Honestly .. there's little doubt in my mind that Niuewy made the absurd call to draft the highest rated right shot at 8 (Glennie) rather than even allowing the staff to take the next player on their list after Kulikov. That's pure speculation on my part, but I think it's based on some reasonable assumptions considering Dallas' scouting staff who often investigates every single aspect of a prospects life never once spoke to Glennie. We'll never know where he was on their board, but the more I have considered it, the less I believe there's any chance he was ranked next after Kulikov.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 03:06 PM
Rune Forumwalker

vCash: 500
He'll clearly win the backup job in training camp next season before outplaying Kari during the season and leading the team into the playoffs and a Cup.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Lucy963

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Actually you easily can. It's already been reported the scouting staff wanted Kulikov, but Nieuwy wouldn't take a Russian. So, despite being an advocate for years that the scouting staff deserves credit and fallout for picks, I wouldn't have thought a rookie GM days on the job would pull such an idiotic move. Unfortunately that appears to be exactly what happened. It's the only reasonable explanation of drafting a kid the scouting department never once interviewed.

Also ... I understand where you were going with the Fowler comment, but you're likely in the minority. I'm with you though that Campbell wasn't a bad big, but more than anything I hope at some point we can just talk about Campbell on his merits alone without rehashing the defenders. Honestly ... pretty damn impressed this thread has been up since September without Fowler being mentioned. This can turn into an ugly debate here so I'll move on the more important point.

No ... Nieuwendyk gets no credit here either. He turned around and fired the guy responsible for the Campbell pick so he clearly wasn't on board with this.

A rookie GM with little scouting experience being so heavily involved with the scouting department is a huge red flag, and as much as I love and defended Niuewendyk, the more news that comes out about his tenure makes me realize he wasn't right for the job. I feel for him being handicapped by the banks most of his tenure, but he's not a Jim Nill or Les Jackson type scouting guru that should have his fingerprints over a draft. Even the absurd shotgun approach to drafting mostly one position was crazy. Honestly .. there's little doubt in my mind that Niuewy made the absurd call to draft the highest rated right shot at 8 (Glennie) rather than even allowing the staff to take the next player on their list after Kulikov. That's pure speculation on my part, but I think it's based on some reasonable assumptions considering Dallas' scouting staff who often investigates every single aspect of a prospects life never once spoke to Glennie. We'll never know where he was on their board, but the more I have considered it, the less I believe there's any chance he was ranked next after Kulikov.
Hey that's a fair and probably accurate assumption.. Your right about fowler, regardless of if he's the next Brian leetch or whoemever.. I still like knowing if Kari gets injured or is inconsistent he's not our only option down the road.

Lucy963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:39 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy963 View Post
Hey that's a fair and probably accurate assumption.. Your right about fowler, regardless of if he's the next Brian leetch or whoemever.. I still like knowing if Kari gets injured or is inconsistent he's not our only option down the road.
It is funny though how much wiggle room we give Nill. When Jackson took Beskorowany in the 2nd, there were definitely more moans and upset people than when Nill takes Desrosiers in the 2nd.

This might be the strongest Dallas has been in depth since Turco/Fernandez in waiting behind Belfour. Smith and Ellis were pretty strong, but it seems reasonable that behind Lehtonen, Campbell and Desrosiers have starting potential, and a higher ceiling. They better considering their draft position ... lol.

The only difference here is Turco and Fernandez were much closer in development. Same for Smith and Ellis. This is actually almost ideal. 3 years apart and not direct competition seems perfect. It should allow Desrosiers 1 year to back up Campbell before he moves on full time. Then Philippe should have 3 years to play most of the games for Texas before he could potentially back up Kari or Jack ... whoever sticks.

Since it was previously brought up though, there still is a scenario where I easily trade Jack now, and that's part of a package for a Top 2 defender. Goalies typically aren't that valuable so the discussion could be pointless, but I don't necessarily consider the guy untouchable. Two potential starting goalies is great, but a current top pair D with still one potential starting goalie is much better.

Old
03-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

vCash: 50
Quote:
It is funny though how much wiggle room we give Nill. When Jackson took Beskorowany in the 2nd, there were definitely more moans and upset people than when Nill takes Desrosiers in the 2nd.

This might be the strongest Dallas has been in depth since Turco/Fernandez in waiting behind Belfour. Smith and Ellis were pretty strong, but it seems reasonable that behind Lehtonen, Campbell and Desrosiers have starting potential, and a higher ceiling. They better considering their draft position ... lol.

The only difference here is Turco and Fernandez were much closer in development. Same for Smith and Ellis. This is actually almost ideal. 3 years apart and not direct competition seems perfect. It should allow Desrosiers 1 year to back up Campbell before he moves on full time. Then Philippe should have 3 years to play most of the games for Texas before he could potentially back up Kari or Jack ... whoever sticks.

Since it was previously brought up though, there still is a scenario where I easily trade Jack now, and that's part of a package for a Top 2 defender. Goalies typically aren't that valuable so the discussion could be pointless, but I don't necessarily consider the guy untouchable. Two potential starting goalies is great, but a current top pair D with still one potential starting goalie is much better.
Completely different scenarios as a fan. Besko was the 1st pick of the draft for the Stars at the end of the 2nd round. Desrosiers was the 4th pick after the elation of Nichushkin falling to us in the 1st round.

Ambassador Of Fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
To be fair, Beskorowany was our 1st overall selection that year. We didn't have many picks then we took a speculative goaltender much higher than most people thought he would go.

Desrosiers was our 4th selection in that draft, which is when team's start to look at goaltenders, especially since we don't have many good ones in the pipeline. I imagine they'll take another one this year but they'll wait till later in the draft unless a guy high on their list drops for some reason. Goaltenders taken early are generally a mistake. For every Carey Price, Kari Lehtonen, MAF, John Gibson there are a ton of guys who go by the wayside: Chet Pickard, Tom McCollum, Jake Allen, Mikko Koskinen, Joel Gistedt, Antoine Lafleur, Trevor Cann, and Jeremy Smith all of whom were taken in the 1st two rounds in 2007-2009. Goalie drafting is an even bigger draft crap shoot than skaters.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:11 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Texas Stars Hockey ‏@TexasStars

Jack Campbell named #txstars winner of the IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year award: http://www.texasstarshockey.com/arti...an-of-the-yearhttp://******/i/56MQb
This made me tear up a bit:
Quote:
Campbell is a strong supporter of military service members and veterans, and frequently visits with military families before and after games. Among them was a family whose father was about to deploy. The son was upset about his father leaving, so Campbell went back to the locker room and gave the boy his personal lucky charm: Campbell's "draft day" hat, given to him by the Dallas Stars on the day he was drafted by the organization.
Guys like Campbell are the reason I became a huge fan of hockey. Stu Barnes reached out to my family when someone told him about my father's battle with cancer and ultimately when he passed away in 2007. His random act of kindness was amazing for my brother and I. We were decent fans at that point ... handful of games a year, but to personally experience that act of kindness was unbelievable. Jack Campbell is one hell of a dude and so is Stu Barnes.

Just like 100 Degree Hockey mentioned, the whole press release is worth reading.

Old
04-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
Lots of class.

I want to see Jack go deep in the playoffs and really lead Texas this year. His comeback from injury has been amazing and he deserves it!

Primetimey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:30 PM
TrillMike

Nice to see.

TrillMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
That is awesome.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 07:00 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
This made me tear up a bit:

Guys like Campbell are the reason I became a huge fan of hockey. Stu Barnes reached out to my family when someone told him about my father's battle with cancer and ultimately when he passed away in 2007. His random act of kindness was amazing for my brother and I. We were decent fans at that point ... handful of games a year, but to personally experience that act of kindness was unbelievable. Jack Campbell is one hell of a dude and so is Stu Barnes.

Just like 100 Degree Hockey mentioned, the whole press release is worth reading.
Jack's amazing. Such a down to earth, easy to talk to guy. Heart of gold. When he gave me this after the New Year's World Jr game vs Canada up here in Edmonton a couple years ago, I told him I owe him. He said no you don't, you're a fan and I appreciate it. I told him to let me know what charity I can donate to in his name and he replied with, "No that's okay. You let me know what charity I can donate to."

Great guy. Truly makes you an even bigger fan.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 07:08 PM
aloonda
fear the rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Jack's amazing. Such a down to earth, easy to talk to guy. Heart of gold. When he gave me this after the New Year's World Jr game vs Canada up here in Edmonton a couple years ago, I told him I owe him. He said no you don't, you're a fan and I appreciate it. I told him to let me know what charity I can donate to in his name and he replied with, "No that's okay. You let me know what charity I can donate to."

Great guy. Truly makes you an even bigger fan.

super cool

aloonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Welp, new favorite prospect. Move over Juha Lind.

Ambassador Of Fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 08:22 PM
haf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
Welp, new favorite prospect. Move over Juha Lind.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Bluesoma

I'll tell you this. Jack is absolutely loved here. You should hear the roar when he gets announced when he starts.

He's one of the nicest guys and an absolute goofball.

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 12:41 AM
Rune Forumwalker

No one can replace Juha Lind. Single best Fin that ever played for this franchise.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 07:04 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
No one can replace Juha Lind. Single best Fin that ever played for this franchise.
I beg your pardon. Why does everyone have to turn discussions into a joke. This is ridiculous. How dare you disrespect Janne Niinimaa.

Without him we'd never get to see Mike Ribeiro in a Stars uniform.

Old
04-03-2014, 07:15 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Hey.

I'm not seeing Niko Kapanen's name here, and who could forget him getting us Patrik Stefan?

04-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Had high hopes for Niko there for a minute!

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Bluesoma

We're getting dangerously close to being off topic here guys.

This isn't about Finns but about how awesome our First Round, 11th Overall pick from 2010 Goaltender Jack "Soupy" Campbell and how he will use his athleticism and growing technique to lead the Texas Stars to the Calder Cup and then eventually become the heir apparent to the Finn Kari Lehtonen in Dallas. (That's right I just went full circle Finn to Finn. You could call it a great Finnish).

Old
04-03-2014, 09:42 PM
ColeJ

Soupy is overdone for a Campbell nickname.

I prefer his Captain America moniker.

ColeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Bluesoma

Yeah it is overdone but I believe that's his nickname in the locker room. Hockey players aren't the most imaginative when it comes to nicknames.

Old
04-03-2014, 10:58 PM
RastaRockett

Cap'n Jack!

RastaRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 04:32 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

Always been a big beleiver in Jack he hasn't been the flashiest prospect development story but to me he always had that "it" factor, that star quality you can't teach and with patience I still think he'll be considered among the best in his draft class when it all settles out. One day I hope to see that Campbell v. Allen rematch in a big game.

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote