HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keys to beating Tampa Bay in the first round

Old
04-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

vCash: 500
A good plan would be to have the puck more than they do.
Another good plan would be to confront Hedman before he gets wound up.
i don't know how many times he had 50 ft to work with coming out of his own end.
Yes that would mean a sustained forecheck (5 man unit).
Unfortunately that means everyone has to buy in and skate.
I've rarely seen that this year.
We need to be breaking up plays at the red line not our own blue line or worse.
The problem as i see it is most of our D are afraid to play that way. (fear of getting burnt)
Even worse they are correct. (most of our pairings)

This leaves us with the style of game we all witnessed last night.
Easy D zone exit for Tampa. They did struggle to gain our zone on occasion but we were on our heels most of if not all night. Not a good formula in my books.
We had absolutely zero neutral zone possession with speed and couldn't string together any passes.

Fix all this and we can win.

Last edited by Rapala: 04-02-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 12:48 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
We're not very good against Tampa, our systems clash.

If we were playing about Boston or Pittsburgh we could use a system/style of play to work against them, but Tampa plays a fast game like we do and we're not very good at stopping them. And the games are pretty boring against them, there's no flow.

We'll need to step up our game.
Any team that plays like the Devils do against the Habs will easily destroy the Habs. The Devils, Blues, Kings are the model teams for destroying the Habs and Tampa follows most of the model of those teams. Not quite as stout defensively, but still very disciplined and have bigger guys that win the puck battles when need be. Callahan is a guy in particular that has the type of game our team can't handle.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 12:48 PM
PATCHESx67

Not scared of Tampa yesterday was an unlucky game give them ice advantage I still say Habs in 6

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapala View Post
This leaves us with the style of game we all witnessed last night.
Easy D zone exit for Tampa. They did struggle to gain our zone on occasion but we were on our heels most of if not all night. Not a good formula in my books.
We had absolutely zero neutral zone possession with speed and couldn't string together any passes.

Fix all this and we can win.
That is something that has been atrocious all season. The only time in the Therrien era I could remember the team crisply making tape-to-tape passes every night was the time before we clinched our playoff berth last season. Now pretty much most of the team has stone hands for passing and it seems that nothing will change....

Old
04-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
Not scared of Tampa yesterday was an unlucky game give them ice advantage I still say Habs in 6
Four games against Tampa. 4 regulation goals scored. It's not just one game. It's FOUR.

Old
04-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Kadri View Post
Any team that plays like the Devils do against the Habs will easily destroy the Habs. The Devils, Blues, Kings are the model teams for destroying the Habs and Tampa follows most of the model of those teams. Not quite as stout defensively, but still very disciplined and have bigger guys that win the puck battles when need be. Callahan is a guy in particular that has the type of game our team can't handle.
Indeed the recipe for beating the Habs in the last decade...
You forgot to mention Philly the Rangers and even Columbus play very similar styles.
We have had some good outings in past years combating this with speed.
However we were never able to maintain the pace, often not for 60 Mins.
let alone a 4-7 game series. Small teams wear quicker.

Old
04-02-2014, 01:05 PM
FazChenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitz View Post
The key to win is having a speedy strong defence

Markov Emelin
Bouillon-Subban
Gorges-Weaver
And thats not a strong defence.

Where is Tinordi? Bouillon makes that defence a liability

FazChenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapala View Post
Indeed the recipe for beating the Habs in the last decade...
You forgot to mention Philly the Rangers and even Columbus play very similar styles.
We have had some good outings in past years combating this with speed.
However we were never able to maintain the pace, often not for 60 Mins.
let alone a 4-7 game series. Small teams wear quicker.
Habs-Rangers is a bit more even. We've beaten them brutally a fair share of times and they've beaten us a fair share of times. The thing that characterizes Habs-Rangers is that every year, there seems to be at least one game in which the game between the two teams is boring as ****. Torts isn't that great of a defensive system coach, imo. He just has a thing for blocking shots.

Columbus has the aggressive forecheck that causes us trouble, but their backend is weak.

For Philly, I don't think they are that stout defensively, but their skill players do feast on our defense and hence they always manage to get a win against us.

Old
04-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
That is something that has been atrocious all season. The only time in the Therrien era I could remember the team crisply making tape-to-tape passes every night was the time before we clinched our playoff berth last season. Now pretty much most of the team has stone hands for passing and it seems that nothing will change....
This has been our MO ever since the first lockout/strike.
despite the fact that we were claiming to be building a team based on speed to take advantage of the new impediment rules. too often our players are standing still and can't do jack **** with the puck even if it comes to them. watch the elite players in this league and you will notice they don't stop moving, even if gliding. if you have ever played hockey you know it is far easier to move in any direction that way. was always my biggest gripe against Kovalev. when he decided to keep his feet moving he was unstoppable.

Old
04-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
...Biggest key to beating Tampa; Fire Therrien!!...
You beat me to the punch.....my exact thoughts

We will not win against the "no-name" TBL as we have the 2nd best coach in the series, no "system",no PP, we will get outworked and we rely on Price,

We win this year because of individual performances in games, whether it is a Price,Vanek,Subban, a couple times DD(shootout) but tell me when have we dominated a team for 60 minutes this year???? maybe one period then back to same old...when have we contolled the play 5x5 ??

This all points to the coaches, I don't care that our record is 4th best..in a best of 7 we will have our problems exposed again, sure we have more character but when you have no system and get outhustled by a younger team it's not gonna end well

Hope I am wrong

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Habit11

Tbay exposed how slow the Habs' defence is, and they really caused fits forechecking and pressuring. Both slow skating and slow at moving the puck up to the forwards. I would also put a bit of the blame on the forwards who were looking for stretch passes quite a few times that were never going to connect. Biggest problem I see is the D unit, but it can be fixed with the addition of Gorges and removal of Bouillon/Murray. Beating tbay will not require the size/physicality that may be required against other teams and it would be wise if MT iced the 6 most capable dmen at moving the puck out of their zone quickly and efficiently.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:26 PM
SooperSingh

I would put back Markov and Subban together against the stamkos line. This allows us to (hopefully) have a stronger offensive zone presence while the stamkos line is on. More time in the O-zone against that line would put the pressure on tampa.

It would also allow Gorges to get back into the groove with less pressure. You can subsistute Gorges with Tinordi if he's not up for it.

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Gorges
Tinordi-Weaver

EDIT: What's up with the "fire the coach" mentality? Let me ask a question to ppl wanting the coach fired;
"You" want the coach fired before playoffs start?!? Real smart.
Or is it because there is nothing else to contribute to the thread so it's easier to say "Fire everyone!"

Last edited by SooperSingh: 04-02-2014 at 01:34 PM.
SooperSingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SooperSingh View Post
I would put back Markov and Subban together against the stamkos line. This allows us to (hopefully) have a stronger offensive zone presence while the stamkos line is on. More time in the O-zone against that line would put the pressure on tampa.

It would also allow Gorges to get back into the groove with less pressure. You can subsistute Gorges with Tinordi if he's not up for it.

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Gorges
Tinordi-Weaver

EDIT: What's up with the "fire the coach" mentality? Let me ask a question to ppl wanting the coach fired;
Or is it because there is nothing else to contribute to the thread so it's easier to say "Fire everyone!"
I kinda took it as tongue in cheek

Old
04-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Big Lurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SooperSingh View Post

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Gorges
Tinordi-Weaver

well last team to fire Therrien before the playoffs won the cup so......

Big Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

Well first the team has to actually show up, not just Carey.

That's a ****ing start.

Pricenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 02:50 PM
FF de Mars

I'd be much more confortable with Beaulieu and Tinordi on defense. I remember last night on one occasion Bouillon had a scoring chance but missed his shot from the circle, couldn't get a top corner... Beaulieu would have scored.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
I'd be much more confortable with Beaulieu and Tinordi on defense. I remember last night on one occasion Bouillon had a scoring chance but missed his shot from the circle, couldn't get a top corner... Beaulieu would have scored.
Indeed. Beaulieu who's still looking for his first NHL goal. Lol.

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Four games against Tampa. 4 regulation goals scored. It's not just one game. It's FOUR.
I don't understand the mentality of some who think it's going to be a piece of cake. Then again it's probably the same people who expected us to easily handle Ottawa last year

I don't like Tampa, they're in every ****ing game and it's annoying

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Beaulieu yes, Tinordi no (against Tampa anyways)

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Hemlor

Quote:
So it's Therrien's fault that they can't pass? That's a new one

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Hemlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
You beat me to the punch.....my exact thoughts

We will not win against the "no-name" TBL as we have the 2nd best coach in the series, no "system",no PP, we will get outworked and we rely on Price,

We win this year because of individual performances in games, whether it is a Price,Vanek,Subban, a couple times DD(shootout) but tell me when have we dominated a team for 60 minutes this year???? maybe one period then back to same old...when have we contolled the play 5x5 ??

This all points to the coaches, I don't care that our record is 4th best..in a best of 7 we will have our problems exposed again, sure we have more character but when you have no system and get outhustled by a younger team it's not gonna end well

Hope I am wrong
so wait, Habs win do to player's performance yet they lose do to coaching? Sounds about right for this board

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 04:17 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I don't understand the mentality of some who think it's going to be a piece of cake. Then again it's probably the same people who expected us to easily handle Ottawa last year

I don't like Tampa, they're in every ****ing game and it's annoying
It's pretty funny. I don't know if it's going to be against Tampa, but this team will get embarassed in a playoff series. Weak defensively. No system to speak of. Weak, unimaginative PP and can't score 5 on 5. Terrible transition game.

The way this team is built and the way they're coached, even inferior teams can embarass them. Case in point, Ottawa last year.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 09:19 PM
dcyhabs

Any team that plays the habs several games in a row is likely to start taking advantage of Therrien. He's like old Russian coaches, no adaptability. Lots of PK? Play the same guys, Subban stays on the bench, no make up later. Bouillon's on the bench? He's a good guy, get him in the game, ignore the mistakes. Parros is going on? Put out the 4th line and Murray.

Therrien has scraped by with a team that should be winning like they were at the beginning of the season.

At least with Gorges back they can sit Murray. Beaulieu should definitely take Bouillon's place against Tampa. If they come in and the fourth line comes back the habs have hope. If Bouillon and Murray play it will be ugly. Murray was exposed over and over.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Habbybirthday
"I ****ing LOVE it"

Guys I really don't want to spoil all your fun
But the Habs win the cup this year

When this happens, as it will, I want my name and title to be changed to 'the oracle' or maybe 'the immaculate conception'

Bbbbbbbbbiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrddddddddddiiiiiiieeeee e!

Habbybirthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
So it's Therrien's fault that they can't pass? That's a new one
Yes, because his new "system" encourages dump-ins and a "simple" game that the team isn't built to play. We should be emphasizing the transition game because we can't win a "grinding" dump-and-chase system due to the lack of size and coordination to dig the puck out 1-on-1.