HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NFL Discussion Thread V (Surgery for Eli; Jets sign CJ2K)

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2014, 10:24 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

vCash: 500
Giants sign DE Robert Ayers

Old
04-02-2014, 10:34 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Looking like San Fran now.
Nope.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:35 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Giants sign DE Robert Ayers
Ayers is a HUGE get.

Loving this offseason by JR.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Law View Post
Nope.
He was never going to SF since they did not have the cap space to give him the money he wanted.

Old
04-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Good he went to the NFL equivalent of the Rangers

Old
04-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Lundsanity30

I like the Ayers signing. Reese has set us up great to go BPA almost every round

Old
04-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Good he went to the NFL equivalent of the Rangers
I agree, I never wanted Jackson on the Jets. I also didn't want Vick but that's discussion that is impossible to have without getting too upset.
In honor of Bluenote I give you the SoS Jets mock draft

WR BRANDIN COOKS
OREGON STATE

Why the Jets draft him? He will probably be the best playmaker on the board at 18. The Jets like Austin last year and they haven't completely addressed the wide receiver position

TE JACE AMARO
TEXAS TECH

I have my doubts that Amaro will be here in the 2nd round. If he is the Jets will pounce on him.

S TERRENCE BROOKS
FLORIDA STATE

The Jets have needs in the secondary and Brooks would provide much needed depth. Brooks would also improve the Jets special teams

ILB YAWIN SMALLWOOD
CONNECTICUT

I think Smallwood slips to the top of the 4th round. I could be wrong but I think it's a fair spot for him. The Jets would give Smallwood a year to apprentice under David Harris. Another good special teams contributor.

RB CHARLES SIMS
WEST VIRGINIA

This is a back that knows Geno well from college. The Jets can't depend on Goodson being on the roster when camp opens. The guy is going on trial. Even if the Jets add another back in free agency they could find room for Sims to play next season. I think Sims would beat out Powell in training camp. He's going to be a good pro.

CB VICTOR HAMPTON
SOUTH CAROLINA

This kid is a project but he would help out on special teams immediately. He is not the answer to take over a starting corner spot but adds depth to the secondary. Rex loves corners, and Rex loves DB's that can play both corner and safety.

CB DEION BELUE
ALABAMA

Two cornerbacks in a row? Yeah, because I just want to point out the Belue selection. I think he's the most likley mid-round corner the Jets will draft. He started opposite Milner in College and Rex always complements the Alabama defense. I'm just saying I can see the Jets making this selection.

OT MATT PATCHAN
BOSTON COLLEGE

If the Jets can get Patchan at this spot in the draft they have to pull the trigger on him. I know I read the Jets were high on this kid and look at him as project. The Jets kept Aboushi and Campbell on the roster last season without ever playing a down I think Patchan or another late selection will be used to compete with those guys in camp.

WR KEVIN NORWOOD
ALABAMA

I think the depth at the WR position is going to hurt Norwood's draft stock. He has experience in pro offense at Alabama and is a good route runner. That's something Geno needs to develop. If Norwood is here in the 6th round the Jets will pounce on him.

OLB TYLER STARR
SOUTH DAKOTA

The Jets met with Starr twice. Starr had a relativly good combine and could end up being a project selection. When you have 12 picks but most are at the bottom of the draft projects and special teams players should be the targets. Starr fits both of that criteria

DT RYAN CARRETHERS
ARKANSAS STATE

Depth for an already good defensive line. A big body that has experience a 3-4 defense.

CB AARON COLVIN
OKLAHOMA

I bet a team is smart enough to pick Colvin before the 7th round. This kid was going to be a 2nd round pick until he tore his knee up. With 12 picks in the draft the Jets can draft Colvin with an eye towards 2015. Let him study with the coaches and players in meetings and rehab under the NFL trainers.

Old
04-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Wow, nice job SOS.

I can only wish the Jets draft like that, IMO, they take 3 QB's with their first 3 picks

Old
04-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Wow, nice job SOS.

I can only wish the Jets draft like that, IMO, they take 3 QB's with their first 3 picks
Nothing would shock me. If Manziel drops to 18 I just know the Jets are going to take him. They will say they didn't invest a lot in Geno last year by taking him the second round. Vick is a one year stop gap. Manziel was at the top of their draft board and they can't go against the draft board. You know what I'm saying is possible! It's scary right?

I can already hear Idzik talking about competition and how important it is to have competition at the QB position....

Old
04-02-2014, 05:30 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Just a heads up, but Geno never played with Charles Sims.

Old
04-02-2014, 09:52 PM
slipknottin

"@MoveTheSticks I haven't talked to one scout/exec that would take David Yankey in the first 3 rounds."

Lulz. Saw the same thing on tape. Terrible feet, no power, no mirroring ability. Dunno how the mock draft guys ever had him as a first rounder

Old
04-03-2014, 06:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Idzik has a chance to put his stamp on this team. 6 picks in the first 137. The Jets need a CB. Its a deep WR draft. CB in the first round. WR in the second round. WR in the first round. CB in the second round. Outside of a few spots of the roster,the Jets need players. Go best player available. People screamed when the Jets selected Sheldon Richardson. We don't need another defensive linemen. The guy is a great player. Outside of Mo Wilkerson,you see more Richardson jerseys than any other player. Trade down to add more picks. More value in the draft picks than in free agency. Those draft picks are cost effective players for 4 or 5 years. Idzik has many options available to him. I like Idzik. He doesn't listen to those idiots in the media like that imbecile at the Daily News.

Old
04-03-2014, 08:15 AM
bettercallstaal
Saul Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Nothing would shock me. If Manziel drops to 18 I just know the Jets are going to take him. They will say they didn't invest a lot in Geno last year by taking him the second round. Vick is a one year stop gap. Manziel was at the top of their draft board and they can't go against the draft board. You know what I'm saying is possible! It's scary right?

I can already hear Idzik talking about competition and how important it is to have competition at the QB position....
It's probably going to happen. The truth is it doesn't matter who plays qb if the Jets don't acquire some more talent. Decker was a start but they need to draft a stud WR.

Old
04-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Rust Heisenberg

I wonder if we go te/wr in both the first 2 rounds.

1: Ebron
2: Matthews

or

1: Lee
2: Amaro

Old
04-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 143
I don't like Amaro. Not a bit. I think Niklas and even ASJ are better TEs than Amaro.

I think it's safe to say we'll be going BPA the entire draft.

If someone like Gilbert or Lewan drops to us in the 1st (with guys like Ebron, Evans.etc) off the board, we're going to take them.

If a QB like Teddy drops to us, you can bet we're going to take them.

BPA the entire draft. We're going to begin to peak in the 2015-16 year.

Old
04-03-2014, 10:21 AM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
I don't like Amaro. Not a bit. I think Niklas and even ASJ are better TEs than Amaro.

I think it's safe to say we'll be going BPA the entire draft.

If someone like Gilbert or Lewan drops to us in the 1st (with guys like Ebron, Evans.etc) off the board, we're going to take them.

If a QB like Teddy drops to us, you can bet we're going to take them.

BPA the entire draft. We're going to begin to peak in the 2015-16 year.
Why the hell would they draft Teddy? Total wasted pick.

If all the guys they like are gone they will trade back

Old
04-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Why the hell would they draft Teddy? Total wasted pick.

If all the guys they like are gone they will trade back
Because he'd be the best player on the board? Because Geno is no sure thing?

Notice the trend of all the top teams in the league? They have a franchise QB.

Notice the trend off all the mediocre teams in the league? They don't.

If the Jets FO have Teddy as the BPA, they should certainly take him. You have to find that franchise guy.

Old
04-03-2014, 10:39 AM
slipknottin

Quote:
Because he'd be the best player on the board? Because Geno is no sure thing?

Notice the trend of all the top teams in the league? They have a franchise QB.

Notice the trend off all the mediocre teams in the league? They don't.

If the Jets FO have Teddy as the BPA, they should certainly take him. You have to find that franchise guy.
Teddy isn't a franchise guy. He's as limited as Geno is.

Old
04-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Teddy isn't a franchise guy. He's as limited as Geno is.

Teddy has a high football IQ. Geno has a slightly stronger arm while Teddy has a more accurate arm.

They really aren't similar QBs.

If the Jets think Teddy could be a franchise guy, they aren't letting a 2nd round pick stand in their way.

Old
04-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

The Jets have too many other needs in a draft that is deep in positions they do need (WR, CB, LB, TE to some extent) to use that high of a pick on a QB.

I agree that it's pretty likely Geno isn't a long term option, but I'm not convinced Bridgewater would be either.

I'd like to see them trade up for Evans, or sit at 18 and take one of Ebron/Beckham/Gilbert. I don't think they'd give up as much as they'd have to in order to get Watkins, although he'd be great.

Old
04-03-2014, 10:51 AM
slipknottin

Quote:
Teddy has a high football IQ. Geno has a slightly stronger arm while Teddy has a more accurate arm.

They really aren't similar QBs.

If the Jets think Teddy could be a franchise guy, they aren't letting a 2nd round pick stand in their way.
I didn't say they were similar. I said they were both limited. Bridgewaters potential is like another Andy dalton.

If the jets are that desperate then draft him, just expect to be disappointed

Old
04-03-2014, 10:52 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The Jets have too many other needs in a draft that is deep in positions they do need (WR, CB, LB, TE to some extent) to use that high of a pick on a QB.

I agree that it's pretty likely Geno isn't a long term option, but I'm not convinced Bridgewater would be either.

I'd like to see them trade up for Evans, or sit at 18 and take one of Ebron/Beckham/Gilbert. I don't think they'd give up as much as they'd have to in order to get Watkins, although he'd be great.

Don't get your logic. We have too many needs/holes to fill, and you suggest trading up?

The Jets should either stay where they are or trade down. Absolutely no reason to trade up.

Old
04-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I didn't say they were similar. I said they were both limited. Bridgewaters potential is like another Andy dalton.

If the jets are that desperate then draft him, just expect to be disappointed
Strongly disagree, and it makes me wonder if you actually watched him play with pads on, or just watched him in shorts and a t-shirt at his pro-day.

Guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Old
04-03-2014, 10:57 AM
slipknottin

Quote:
Strongly disagree, and it makes me wonder if you actually watched him play with pads on, or just watched him in shorts and a t-shirt at his pro-day.

Guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.
I've watched 15 of his games, did not watch his proday. He's not a franchise QB. I would say he's a mid 2nd round pick. Potentially a good backup.

Old
04-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Don't get your logic. We have too many needs/holes to fill, and you suggest trading up?

The Jets should either stay where they are or trade down. Absolutely no reason to trade up.
To get elite talent in a position they desperately need it? Why not?

Watkins is by far the best WR available, and if a deal is there, they should do it. Jets drastically need skill players, and he's easily the top skill player available in the entire draft. If it costs a 3rd, so be it.

I wouldn't advocate for trading up for any other player.

Closed Thread