HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-14-2014, 11:48 PM
  #751
thevil
Lets go Aves?
 
thevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 2,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braeden View Post
I'm just getting into skating at the age of 20. Went to Stick and Puck on Tuesday and my back hurts so bad... Everything else went fine. I've gotten better since the last time I went. I don't know how to stop or how to skate backwards yet though.

ALSO, should I buy new skates? I have a pair of Sherwood 6000's that you can't even buy anymore...

I have the money to go and buy BRAND NEW top of the line skates. But should I if I'm just a beginner?
I'd go lower end, ie less than $200, as high end skates are wayyy to stiff for beginners usually. After a season or so, maybe go higher, but that's personal preference then...

thevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 11:31 AM
  #752
CBiscuit14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Hey everyone! First time posting on here. I figured I would share my beginner story since reading a lot of them on here really helped me relax about my first experience.

So first, a little background. I would classify myself as relatively athletic. I play(ed) baseball, basketball, football, golf, racquetball... you name it! I used to go to the outdoor rink with a friend when I was 10. I don't remember if I was any good, I just remember I enjoyed it. Always enjoyed watching hockey, (especially in person).

Fast forward 13 years. My girlfriend and I decided to go to an open skate. It had definitely been a LONG time since I skated. I went the entire session in a skate that was too big (as I had forgotten about the sizing difference). But, I managed to make my way around the ice relatively ok. This got the spark going. I started looking into getting a pair of skates just for something to do. A coworker (who plays in the local A league) helped me out in finding a pair that would work well without breaking the bank. I decided to go with the Easton Stealth 75s (which so far I have been very happy with). He mentioned to me that there was a local C-league for beginners, but I kind of assumed he meant for those that could actually skate and stick handle.

Unfortunately, this is all happening in late February, early March when the outdoor rinks are just closing. I get my skates and my buddy sells me an old pair of gloves and a couple sticks for $10 (he wanted to just give them to me, but I insisted on paying at least a little). Next, I go to the indoor open skate (only to find out there is only a week left of open skates ). I struggle my way around and slowly gain some confidence. I had watched some youtube videos on how to skate and tried to apply them. By the end of the first session, I was to the point where I didn't look like bambi on the ice. Long story short... I make it to all of the remaining 5 open skates and get much more comfortable and fluid in my forward skating and marginal in my stopping; crossovers and backwards are still projects in the works. At one of the last open skates I had a guy ask me if I was in a league. After telling him no and explaining that I had only been skating for about a week, he informed me that he runs the C-league in town and said I could still sign up (even though it had already been going for about 2 weeks). I was interested.... but wasn't quite sure if I was ready to play or not. I decided to go and watch the next C-league game to see if I would be in over my head. While I definitely wouldn't be the best or even average, I saw a few guys that were definitely beginners, which made me feel better. I decide I'm going to give this a whirl. Now for getting all the equpiment.... again my buddy came through and let me borrow everything I would need (except elbows and shoulders).

Yesterday was my first game... and I was about as nervous as I could be. I'm a 23 year old man and I was extremely nervous ! I had watched enough hockey to know the rules, but I realized I had no idea how line changes worked when you are actually on the ice (which I soon realized is not as big of a deal as I made it out to be in my head). It is amazing how fast the game is once you are actually in it. I didn't do a whole lot... cleared the puck once is about it. But I had a blast. Getting that first shift under my belt was huge for helping me relax a bit. All of the guys (and gals) were great. They offered me advice, encouraged me when I did something good. Very easy going, didn't really care if I messed up.... not like the intense "gotta win" mentality I envisioned. Like I said, I didn't really contribute much.... but I am hooked. I can't wait for the next game!

Hope this helps anyone that is thinking about getting into a beginner league! I would recommend taking lessons if possible to really get some good techniques, but they are not absolutely necessary if it is just a beginner league. In fact, I found myself doing some maneuvers I didn't realize I could do, just from being in a game situation.

CBiscuit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 12:30 PM
  #753
mattkaminski15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
So starting today im heading into my fifth full year of hockey. Now, im not an adult, im aged 15 right about to turn 16 (my birthday is in 23 days, but that's aside the point) and let me tell you, it has not always been fun to play hockey. I started late (about grade 7) and I barely knew how to skate, id always played ball hockey so my hands weren't that bad, I was still a total dust show, however, I was motivated to make it far. I hadn't had the money to begin earlier in my career but I didnt want to keep that from letting me chase my dream. It's definitely a lot harder for a teenager to start playing, the whole immaturity of all the kids causes them to make groups of who they like and dislike, and they do insult you, which only motivated me even more to work hard to become better and better. And over the past four years I've seen what should have been 10+ years of improvement. I am now playing midget AA hockey after only 4 years. I've had a couple coaches ask me to try out to play AAA, but no serious promises of making a team. I will be trying out either way, but thats not the point. The point is, I started late, and I wasn't as good as everyone else, but I didnt let that stop me from enjoying the game and working to get better. As I move on farther into midget and possibly into junior B or A, I want people to use this as a reminder that it can be done if you want it bad enough.

mattkaminski15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 12:12 PM
  #754
Twrekx
Rookie User
 
Twrekx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkaminski15 View Post
So starting today im heading into my fifth full year of hockey. Now, im not an adult, im aged 15 right about to turn 16 (my birthday is in 23 days, but that's aside the point) and let me tell you, it has not always been fun to play hockey. I started late (about grade 7) and I barely knew how to skate, id always played ball hockey so my hands weren't that bad, I was still a total dust show, however, I was motivated to make it far. I hadn't had the money to begin earlier in my career but I didnt want to keep that from letting me chase my dream. It's definitely a lot harder for a teenager to start playing, the whole immaturity of all the kids causes them to make groups of who they like and dislike, and they do insult you, which only motivated me even more to work hard to become better and better. And over the past four years I've seen what should have been 10+ years of improvement. I am now playing midget AA hockey after only 4 years. I've had a couple coaches ask me to try out to play AAA, but no serious promises of making a team. I will be trying out either way, but thats not the point. The point is, I started late, and I wasn't as good as everyone else, but I didnt let that stop me from enjoying the game and working to get better. As I move on farther into midget and possibly into junior B or A, I want people to use this as a reminder that it can be done if you want it bad enough.
This is awesome!! A few years ago my wife and I were at major junior playoff game (WHL) and we ended up sitting next to the parents of a boy playing on the opposing team. They were telling us about how their son wasn't even playing hockey 4 years prior but was now on a major junior team in the WHL. So keep up the hard work because you never know where it will land you.

Twrekx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 12:26 PM
  #755
NativeHockey77*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 500
I'm thinking of buying some new Reebok Pumps and learning how to skate better. I'm in my mid 20's but I want to play in some sort of league down the road.

NativeHockey77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 02:31 PM
  #756
Twrekx
Rookie User
 
Twrekx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyh0rse View Post
I'm thinking of buying some new Reebok Pumps and learning how to skate better. I'm in my mid 20's but I want to play in some sort of league down the road.
Good for you!! I too will be lacing them up in an adult rec league this fall. I've been following the advice on this site and hit the public skate times. But alas they have closed public skating for the season but I will break out my Rollerblade for the summer.

Twrekx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 04:48 AM
  #757
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 9,224
vCash: 500
It's been nearly 2.5 years since I picked up hockey; though I spent about 1 year in the military so technically only 1.5 years of playing hockey.

It's neat looking back at this thread, because I think when I first posted here, I could only barely skate forward and can do nothing else.

I worked at it and didn't worry about how people looked at me, and now I'm playing with guys with several years under their belt, including guys who played in 3rd/4th tier minor league back in the days.

I've gotten a bit complacent towards the end and stopped working on my skating, which I still regret to this day because I am now too busy to hit the rink on a consistent basis.

My advice to you guys is to work on skating as much as you can.

I don't argue that it's more important than hands, because it isn't. But it's something you won't bother working once you start playing league and drop-in games. It's no fun having to work on boring skating drills over and over again, especially when your burning passion for hockey dwindles. It's important to get as much down as possible before you get lazy. Working on hands is fun (shooting, puck handling) and can be done almost anywhere. Save that for when you can't make it to the rink.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 04:58 AM
  #758
Jacques Trap*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: HHOF
Posts: 1,443
vCash: 500
I just love hearing about people falling in love with playing hockey especially later in life. Particularly those in not traditional markets/places. I've ways felt that skating is the closest thing to a human can get to flying and that any sports enthusiast would fall head over heels for hockey if they could get that feeling. The speed. The mobility. Congrats to you all and keep it up! So glad our little sport continues to flourish.

Jacques Trap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 02:41 PM
  #759
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
Hey everyone, I've got a pretty basic question. I apologize if this isn't the right spot for it, but I looked through a bunch of threads and this seems like the best fit.

Long story short, I've been a hockey fan for a long time, and I've been into fitness for a long time. I just ran into some old friends from high school who play pick-up roller hockey games during the spring/summer, and they asked if I wanted to join. Though I haven't played on ice much at all, and I haven't played roller in a number of years, I can skate pretty well on wheels, certainly better than I can on ice, and the past few months I've been really hungering to play, more than I have maybe ever.

Anyway, I'm shopping around for skates and the rest of the appropriate equipment, but as of now I have an old stick and a bunch of balls laying around. I'm curious as to what I can do to improve any skills using just that basic gear. I'm guessing that I can probably work on my hands if nothing else. Does anybody have any tips on how to go about that specifically? Any links to good routines that might help? I know a great deal about the game as on observer, but as you can tell, I know very, very little about it from a player perspective.

Thanks in advance for any help anybody can offer!

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 05:08 PM
  #760
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!
 
Sureshotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CA
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Hey everyone, I've got a pretty basic question. I apologize if this isn't the right spot for it, but I looked through a bunch of threads and this seems like the best fit.

Long story short, I've been a hockey fan for a long time, and I've been into fitness for a long time. I just ran into some old friends from high school who play pick-up roller hockey games during the spring/summer, and they asked if I wanted to join. Though I haven't played on ice much at all, and I haven't played roller in a number of years, I can skate pretty well on wheels, certainly better than I can on ice, and the past few months I've been really hungering to play, more than I have maybe ever.

Anyway, I'm shopping around for skates and the rest of the appropriate equipment, but as of now I have an old stick and a bunch of balls laying around. I'm curious as to what I can do to improve any skills using just that basic gear. I'm guessing that I can probably work on my hands if nothing else. Does anybody have any tips on how to go about that specifically? Any links to good routines that might help? I know a great deal about the game as on observer, but as you can tell, I know very, very little about it from a player perspective.

Thanks in advance for any help anybody can offer!
I'd recommend perusing the videos created by HowToHockey. They show a wealth of tips, exercises and drills that can be done on ice or dry land.

Sureshotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 06:05 PM
  #761
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshotte View Post
I'd recommend perusing the videos created by HowToHockey. They show a wealth of tips, exercises and drills that can be done on ice or dry land.
Wow, thanks. This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:45 AM
  #762
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!
 
Sureshotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CA
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 970
vCash: 500
You're welcome! Congrats on getting back on the wagon again.

Sureshotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:39 PM
  #763
Pacifist Goon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 339
vCash: 500
Yeah those 'how to' clips aren't too bad.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 01:12 PM
  #764
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshotte View Post
You're welcome! Congrats on getting back on the wagon again.
Thanks. It's exciting! I've played on and off here and there, but I haven't really played consistently since I've become a serious fan. There's another level of interest and passion for it, for me at least, now that I know the game more.

Around my area, it almost seems like more people are playing as they get older than ever played when we were kids. It's a fun scene.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 10:28 AM
  #765
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,750
vCash: 500
Not really a beginner, but I do have a question…

My dmen ALWAYS play(mod edit) it up the boards for a breakout, annoys me to no end.. Anyway I can retrieve the puck better when they do this?


Last edited by Canadiens1958: 04-05-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: phrasing - double entendre
TherapyforGlencross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 11:08 AM
  #766
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 9,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
Not really a beginner, but I do have a question…

My dmen ALWAYS play(mod edit) it up the boards for a breakout, annoys me to no end.. Anyway I can retrieve the puck better when they do this?
If there's another forward breaking out in front of you, get to the puck first and pass it to him, sauce or off the boards.

If there's no options, chip it off the boards if there's a defender pinching and skating towards you.

If you're trying to breakout of the zone with the puck, skate in a direction where you can pick up the puck without having to stop.

These are the three options I go to depending on the situation.


Last edited by Canadiens1958: 04-05-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: quote edit
Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 11:45 AM
  #767
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
If there's another forward breaking out in front of you, get to the puck first and pass it to him, sauce or off the boards.

If there's no options, chip it off the boards if there's a defender pinching and skating towards you.

If you're trying to breakout of the zone with the puck, skate in a direction where you can pick up the puck without having to stop.

These are the three options I go to depending on the situation.
That's not what I meant. The last one could help me but I think I'll get squashed into the boards by the pinching defenseman.

What I mean is that the defensemen will throw it along the boards so hard that the puck will either a) go over my stick or b) I cannot reach the boards in time.


Last edited by TherapyforGlencross: 04-05-2014 at 03:59 PM.
TherapyforGlencross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 04:03 PM
  #768
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,483
vCash: 500
Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
That's not what I meant. The last one could help me but I think I'll get squashed into the boards by the pinching defenseman.

What I mean is that the defensemen will throw it along the boards so hard that the puck will either a) go over my stick or b) I cannot reach the boards in time.
Slow, easy pass allows the defenseman more time to pin the forward. Stopping the hard pass gives you time to avoid the possible pinching defenseman. You miss the pass and it goes down the ice, out of the zone relieving pressure. No harm yet the pressure is off defensively.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 04:06 PM
  #769
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Slow, easy pass allows the defenseman more time to pin the forward. Stopping the hard pass gives you time to avoid the possible pinching defenseman. You miss the pass and it goes down the ice, out of the zone relieving pressure. No harm yet the pressure is off defensively.
Very true, thanks!

Thing is though, my defensemen will do this every single time so we (we meaning our line) aren't able to get a breakout going into the oppositions zone. Guess I'll just have to talk to my defensemen about it, I guess.

TherapyforGlencross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 09:54 PM
  #770
SaintMorose
Registered User
 
SaintMorose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,057
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
That's not what I meant. The last one could help me but I think I'll get squashed into the boards by the pinching defenseman.

What I mean is that the defensemen will throw it along the boards so hard that the puck will either a) go over my stick or b) I cannot reach the boards in time.
for case a)
Get your centre man to "chase" the puck along the inside lane so that if you need to move your body in front of the puck to stop it and thus have a Dman pinching to catch you flat-footed you can throw a 4 foot pass back to him cutting up the ice with speed.


for case b)
Get your far winger to cut through the middle of the ice as soon as your defense fires the puck. If you cannot make it in time to cause scenario (a) head straight towards the D-man who will be looking to pick the puck up off the boards. With your far side winger likely to be the first person to the area 10-feet behind the opposing D-man your goal is just to force him to miss the puck whether that's by getting a stick on it and chipping it past him or applying pressure forcing him to shoot it back into your shin-pads (or to your centre who should be right behind you in support).

other part of b is get your defense to shoot the puck off the glass where it will bounce back out in front of your far side winger streaking up the middle instead of playing it(mod edit) it around the boards.


Last edited by Canadiens1958: 04-06-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: phrasing
SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 01:07 PM
  #771
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,483
vCash: 500
Defensive Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
Very true, thanks!

Thing is though, my defensemen will do this every single time so we (we meaning our line) aren't able to get a breakout going into the oppositions zone. Guess I'll just have to talk to my defensemen about it, I guess.
Not necessarily.

Basically you have to look at your defensive zone positioning and responsibilities within the team framework. Also how you read the play and opposing winger and the defenseman on the side you are playing. Pay attention to their handedness. Also vary your positioning relative to the middle of the faceoff circle and the blueline so that pinching defensemen cannot get a predictable read on you.

Finally your ability to complete a pass on your forehand and backhand should be equal. great plus along the boards since it allows you to face inwards to the middle of the rink facing possible traffic and recognizing opportunities.

Work, practice and repeat stopping pucks driven along the boards. They wobble more than the usual pass so the experience aspect is important. Plus boards vary from rink to rink, side to side or corner to corner so adjustments are the norm.

Good luck.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 07:30 PM
  #772
PurpleDrankNJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Just got some skates, learning the basics pretty soon at classes near by. I am 24, but finally have enough money to live on my own and slowly piece together gear.

Currently I have been working on my shots from a melamine board in my back yard. Can't wait to try my skates, I got a pair of Vapor X70's for a steal from someone who bought and sharpened them to find out they didn't fit. Stick is a Vapor x80. Working on getting gloves.

Future goal is to play in a really low level league.

PurpleDrankNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 07:55 PM
  #773
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDrankNJ View Post
Just got some skates, learning the basics pretty soon at classes near by. I am 24, but finally have enough money to live on my own and slowly piece together gear.

Currently I have been working on my shots from a melamine board in my back yard. Can't wait to try my skates, I got a pair of Vapor X70's for a steal from someone who bought and sharpened them to find out they didn't fit. Stick is a Vapor x80. Working on getting gloves.

Future goal is to play in a really low level league.
Hey, you and I have the same skates and stick!

The Vapor series for sticks can be pretty tight/tough, so don't expect to be whipping the stick like Phil Kessel does.

TherapyforGlencross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 08:14 PM
  #774
PurpleDrankNJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
Hey, you and I have the same skates and stick!

The Vapor series for sticks can be pretty tight/tough, so don't expect to be whipping the stick like Phil Kessel does.
Awesome, I went with a 77 flex so I it is a bit easier for me to flex. I am just hoping to get out and play and not be a huge detriment to my team.... only a minor inconvenience.

PurpleDrankNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 08:26 PM
  #775
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 9,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDrankNJ View Post
Awesome, I went with a 77 flex so I it is a bit easier for me to flex. I am just hoping to get out and play and not be a huge detriment to my team.... only a minor inconvenience.
Good attitude.

Work on your skating, puck skills and physical training. Keep that up and you might be carrying your team in a year or two.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.