HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How do you hold your stick?

Old
02-24-2007, 09:08 PM
nikebauer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikebauer
How do you hold your stick?

Recently I've discovered that I've been holding the stick wrong for all these years. Supposedly, you are suppose to hold the stick with with the thumb(s) pointing down. I just hold it normally, without the thumb pointing down and I dont feel I'm at a disadvantage.

So, is this preference or technique? How do you hold your stick?

Last edited by nikebauer: 02-25-2007 at 01:32 AM.
nikebauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Wooty

this is bad
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/46/10...d37a03.jpg?v=0

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 01:23 PM
EatSleepJeep

Hold it however you like.

Except the way that ^ chick is.

EatSleepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
Just hold it in such a manner that you can pass, shoot, and stickhandle with ease and no discomfort.

I'll just add that I usually hold the knob of the handle in the palm of my hand, so I don't go too big when making the knob. I've seen other players use a big knob, so it's probably just personal preference.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 12:55 AM
Happy Pony

Ya know, in the fifteen years I've played hockey I never thought about this. I'll check next time I'm out on the ice.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 01:08 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hook View Post
Just hold it in such a manner that you can pass, shoot, and stickhandle with ease and no discomfort.

I'll just add that I usually hold the knob of the handle in the palm of my hand, so I don't go too big when making the knob. I've seen other players use a big knob, so it's probably just personal preference.
I'm in the same boat as you. I usually go around 4-5x if that up top with tape and hold the knob in my palm of my glove. I feel as if I have more control over the stick.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 02:43 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hook View Post

Same here. I've used a smaller butt end for the past few years (4-5 yrs maybe), but have always held the "knob" of the stick in my palm with the end of the stick right around my ring finger. My pinky finger is on top of the stick and sort of floats freely.

I used to use a moderately large butt end on my sticks with a long handle, but stopped after I borrowed a friend's stick and liked the mobility the smaller butt end and shorter tape job gave me while stickhandling.

As Mr. McCracken said above, it's largely a personal preference.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 03:29 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
never noticed how i place my thumb.

dont need it, i know what i am capable of doing with the way I hold my stick. The way I see it is, if you get the job done, who cares?

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Lost Kangaroo

I say hold it however is comfortable for you. Wayne gretzky held his stick like a lacross stick and he did ok.

Lost Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 12:21 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkd88 View Post
Actually she's not holding it WRONG as much as the stick is WAAAAY too big for her. I'm short so I've tended to use sticks that are too big for me so I have a better reach, but it's really hindered my stickhandling. I've shortened my sticks so it's easier to move my top hand in front of my body and I've got much more range of movement. It's also easier to slide my lower hand down for shots.

The advantage to holding your stick with your thumbs and palms facing down is you can lean on your stick to use your body weight -- helps in receiving hard passes and in putting more "snap" into your wrist shot.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:10 PM
dhasek3910

does anyone have pictures they could post to show this? and also...where should the hands be positioned on the stick, top and bottom hand?

dhasek3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 09:01 AM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhasek3910 View Post
does anyone have pictures they could post to show this? and also...where should the hands be positioned on the stick, top and bottom hand?
For the learn to play kids I always instruct them to:
1. Hold the top of their stick in their xx hand (ss depends on whether you shoot left or right) and point the stick up in the air.

2. Rotate the stick to demonstrate that the power hand is really doing most of the stick handling.

3. Place the elbow of the other arm on top of the power hand.

4. Move the other hand onto the stick leaving the elbow touching the power hand. I emphasize that this hand has a looser grip on the stick by having the kids rotate the stick again.

5. Keepig the hands in the same position, place the blade of the stick on the ice. That demonstrates the "bassic" stickhandling position.

6. As a final emphasis to have a lighter grip on the bottom, non-power hand, I have the kids keep a loose grip on the lower hand and using their upper power hand, move the blade forward and back on the ice without moving their whole body or lower arms.

It's a lot easier to demonstrate this thanit is to put into words. I hope this makes sense.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 08:34 PM
colt45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Same here. I've used a smaller butt end for the past few years (4-5 yrs maybe), but have always held the "knob" of the stick in my palm with the end of the stick right around my ring finger. My pinky finger is on top of the stick and sort of floats freely.

I used to use a moderately large butt end on my sticks with a long handle, but stopped after I borrowed a friend's stick and liked the mobility the smaller butt end and shorter tape job gave me while stickhandling.

As Mr. McCracken said above, it's largely a personal preference.
are you a lefty? because i do that the same way, and most of the lefty's i know do that, but the righties don't seem to.

And the bad thing about this is i always get a hole in the same part of my glove

colt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 08:48 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
I'm right handed and I hold the stick with 3 fingers. Pinkie on top is the way to go.

Make sure you tape pver the top part of the knob, that helps keep wear on your palms to a minimum.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote