HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Would Montreal Welcome the Expos Back

Old
04-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
If it wasn't working out federally doubt provinically be any different. Said in article majority of immigrants had gained the money illegally, then greased the palms of our officials to overlook it. In affect, making a loophole to attract criminals into our country. Why would we want mass of people like this? Another factor said they were not paying much income tax. Which makes sense as majority of people who are smart enough and crooked enough to beat our immigration laws, can beat our income tax laws. I imagine back in Mulnorey days, as interest rates were around 15%, more incentive to allow this program. But with rates hovering around 3%, not much money there.
Well it's hard to prove how someone in China made their money, but yeah most likely it was scummy.

I think it would obviously be better if Canada could bring in immigrants who had skills, and not just money, the problem is that the local professional and trade associations here do their best to prevent immigrants from being certified and able to work, to keep the supply of their members down, thus keep prices high. This is a serious problem in Canada, and it not only effects skilled immigrants, but it also creates a situation where their are more labour and commerce between provinces than between Canada and foreign countries, which is absurd. Voters of ALL parties here should be concerned about these inter-provincial barriers in Canada, and the power of the professional/trade guilds that control them, they hurt national productivity bigtime.

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:45 PM
CrAzYNiNe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Well to be fair the Lightning are 10th in NHL attendance, avg. 18,600

So good for them. But yeah for the rest besides the Miami Heat bandwagoners, it's mediocre to poor.
I could have sworn when they won the cup, it wasn't even on the sports first page... I could be mistaken.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Mats86

Purchased Jonah Keri's book, half way thru or so. Excellent book, lot of information. I recommend it to every fan of baseball not just Expos fans. Book bought back a lot of fond memories. Don't think there was any better place for a kid to grow better than Montreal in late-70s. Habs were playing off the chart good hockey. Expos were coming on, Carter and Rogers what a duo. Book brings back memories of those sunny days playing ball in local lot. Van Horne, Duke Snider, watching Mel Allen's this week in baseball every week, still remember show starting with Ozzie Smith running onto field doing a flip.

Never knew we were that close to landing Reggie Jackson. Coming across the border to tour the city he got caught with coke and it pissed him off to point of signing with Yankees. Imagine those teams of late 70s-early 80s if that didn't happened? The Rogers/Williams feud I never knew of. Williams was sob, team wanted to win in '81 so bad, after he left just to stick it do him. Ellis Valentine the most talented of all Expos but too lazy to enhance his skills. Never knew he was an alcoholic and drug addict, showed up to a game in LA loaded. Expos almost traded him in 1979 because of this. Bought in LeFlore instead, who had fixed his life. Thinking he could help Valentine, only it backfired. As Valentine got him back into coke and heavy drinking. Dawson on other hand was exact opposite. Hard worker, went thru terrible pain with bad knees. Olympic Stadium the political back-scratching involved while building it.

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 05:24 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
The Jays paid attendance, and the actual number of people there at the game, are quite often alot different...the Jays don't draw many fans anymore, but their numbers seem inflated...so, the Expos if they ever return, would struggle through the week also, but TV revenue seems to bail most teams out...

What are you talking about? the Jays averaged 31,315 last season..they were in the top 15. Yeah paid attendance and the actual number of people there can be different, but in the Jays case we rely on walk ups. So the numbers are quite accurate. When was the last time you were in Toronto and saw a Jays game. Did you go to one last year or are you just spouting off on baseless conjecture.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2013

Take it the way you wish, but I don't think the numbers are inflated at all. The Jays did very well at the gate last season, I was there on multiple occasions and there was a nice buzz every time I went. And also you could tell from watching on tv...But hey if you believe the numbers are inflated then go right ahead

Last edited by Stats01: 04-04-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 06:22 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
What are you talking about? the Jays averaged 31,315 last season..they were in the top 15. Yeah paid attendance and the actual number of people there can be different, but in the Jays case we rely on walk ups. So the numbers are quite accurate. When was the last time you were in Toronto and saw a Jays game. Did you go to one last year or are you just spouting off on baseless conjecture.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2013

Take it the way you wish, but I don't think the numbers are inflated at all. The Jays did very well at the gate last season, I was there on multiple occasions and there was a nice buzz every time I went. And also you could tell from watching on tv...But hey if you believe the numbers are inflated then go right ahead
Easy there big fella, yes I was at a game that might have had 10K in attendance, and they said it was 21K so that's where my comment comes from...that being said, I was also down at Fenway and the place was so full you couldn't get another person in...so Fenway was 10X the experience.
Now, the Jays on TV, the barn always looks empty, always, other than opening day...the Skydome is way too big, the days of the Jays drawing 45-50K are 20 yrs gone...so the avg paid attendance of 31K is one thing, they definitely don't have 31K in the building to watch the game, most nights.

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Mats86

Blue Jays are going to get a huge tv contract, in near future. I think that is why they bumped payroll to 130 million. They are Canada wide and do own Sportsnet. Similar to the NESN or YES networks. Maybe not that big, but big enough they could carry a 150 million dollar comfortably. I would compare it to Phillies expected new tv package. For whatever reasons, baseball fans will pay to watch baseball in their own living room opposed to going to the game.

Old
04-04-2014, 10:18 AM
BLONG7

Tampa's attendance in their opening 3 games looked awful, not sure of the numbers, but game 3 last night looked like maybe 7500 fans...no wonder their owner is talking about the city of Montreal...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Avengers*

I wanna see an open stadium in downtown montreal. would be magical in the summer.

Avengers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:44 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Tampa's attendance in their opening 3 games looked awful, not sure of the numbers, but game 3 last night looked like maybe 7500 fans...no wonder their owner is talking about the city of Montreal...
Yesterday was their 4th game not 3rd. The Attendance last night was 9 500

the first 3 games was

Opening Day 31 000
11 100
10 800

So It's gone down every single game

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengers View Post
I wanna see an open stadium in downtown montreal. would be magical in the summer.
It would be, was watching the Pirates game the other night what a beautiful Stadium they have with a great view of the back. Absolutely Beautiful

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
It would be, was watching the Pirates game the other night what a beautiful Stadium they have with a great view of the back. Absolutely Beautiful
Completely agree it's absolutely gorgeous. Target field is amazing too

Habsfannick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Joe Cole

I would be happy for the city, but personally it would not make a dent in my life.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Adriatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
Oh ya that place is an absolute beauty. The location is incredible.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 02:49 PM
nilan30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
Was at Target Field for a Friday night game last summer and just remember thinking, "this is what Baseball is all about"

Mind you I'd only ever been to Skydome and Exhibition Stadium (when I was 7) bfore.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Adriatic

There's a bunch of great stadiums in baseball now, but PNC is gorgeous. Everything from the size and design to where it's located. There's a promenade all along the river and you can just walk right from there into the stadium..beauty!

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 04:52 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Purchased Jonah Keri's book, half way thru or so. Excellent book, lot of information. I recommend it to every fan of baseball not just Expos fans. Book bought back a lot of fond memories. Don't think there was any better place for a kid to grow better than Montreal in late-70s. Habs were playing off the chart good hockey. Expos were coming on, Carter and Rogers what a duo. Book brings back memories of those sunny days playing ball in local lot. Van Horne, Duke Snider, watching Mel Allen's this week in baseball every week, still remember show starting with Ozzie Smith running onto field doing a flip.

Never knew we were that close to landing Reggie Jackson. Coming across the border to tour the city he got caught with coke and it pissed him off to point of signing with Yankees. Imagine those teams of late 70s-early 80s if that didn't happened? The Rogers/Williams feud I never knew of. Williams was sob, team wanted to win in '81 so bad, after he left just to stick it do him. Ellis Valentine the most talented of all Expos but too lazy to enhance his skills. Never knew he was an alcoholic and drug addict, showed up to a game in LA loaded. Expos almost traded him in 1979 because of this. Bought in LeFlore instead, who had fixed his life. Thinking he could help Valentine, only it backfired. As Valentine got him back into coke and heavy drinking. Dawson on other hand was exact opposite. Hard worker, went thru terrible pain with bad knees. Olympic Stadium the political back-scratching involved while building it.
I'm three or four chapters in and it's so awesome.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I doubt it is legal. As you are literally selling entry into the country. What happened to equal opportunity, everybody was all for?
Who cares? My country, my town, my rules.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I'm three or four chapters in and it's so awesome.
I just ordered a copy so I'm glad to hear that. I used to post on the same message board as the author (FanHome/Scout) so there's no way I can pass this up.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 10:07 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Blue Jays are going to get a huge tv contract, in near future. I think that is why they bumped payroll to 130 million. They are Canada wide and do own Sportsnet. Similar to the NESN or YES networks. Maybe not that big, but big enough they could carry a 150 million dollar comfortably. I would compare it to Phillies expected new tv package. For whatever reasons, baseball fans will pay to watch baseball in their own living room opposed to going to the game.
The Jays will never get a big tv contract as long as Rogers stays the owner. Why would they sell their tv rights when they can show them and advertise all their products for free. They make millions of dollars off owning the team. People seem to think that Rogers is losing money with owning the team...sure the actual team and the gate revenue may not be as high as Rogers wants but when you're a media empire and you can advertise all your products for free on all your stations and airwaves on all the media platforms you own why in the world would you sell that?

Another point I want to make Rogers are actually the richest owners in baseball. If they sold their tv rights to another company...you add the multi-multi millions of dollars from that tv contract add in the 3-4 billion dollars that Rogers is worth and they bypass the Steinbrenners (Yankees) and Magic Johnson and co. (Dodgers) as the richest owners in baseball. Rogers could easily support a 150-million dollar payroll but they treat everything like a business. Budgets are a part of everything. Beeston said in a recent article that if revenues go up then payroll will go up. Right now I think they're spending over 130-million on payroll, it's chump change for them.

The numbers are skewed a bit because you don't get a fair number or an accurate number on what the tv rights are worth for the Jays because Rogers pays almost nothing for them. The value of the franchise would skyrocket if Rogers ever sold the tv rights but like I pointed out they'd never do it.

Imagine how much money Rogers was making when they had a payroll of under 70 million dollars only 4-5 years ago..it's mind boggling how long Rogers cheaped out on the team. They treated the Jays like garbage and they used them like a dirty *****. They gained profits like you wouldn't believe. They bought Rogers Centre for like 25-million dollars...like 10 cents on the dollar. They got away with a lot. It's nice to see over the past 2 years they finally pumped the pay-roll up where it should be always. There is no excuse for Rogers to treat this team like the TB Rays and barely have a pay-roll that resembles a minor league team like they did for so long.

Last edited by Stats01: 04-05-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I just ordered a copy so I'm glad to hear that. I used to post on the same message board as the author (FanHome/Scout) so there's no way I can pass this up.
What was his name on there? I use to post there also.

I'm down to last 2 chapters....a few tidbits most probably didn't know:

- Bronfman wanted Carter traded as team starting to lose big money. Was also pissed at Carter for going 0/8 in a must win September doubleheader.

- Floyd Youmans like Ellis Valentine...most talent waste you could ever imagine. Wouldn't train, didn't keep himself in shape. Another alcholic and coke head.

- Murray Cook was fired as he had an affair with CEO Brochu's wife.

- Bronfman ordered ill-fated Randy Johnson for Langston trade. He knew it would be bad for team in long run but wanted to raise attendance and revenue as he preparing to sell the Expos.

- Bronfman did however refuse to sell to Miami group for 130 million, they wanted to move the team. Instead sold for 100 million to consortium group to keep team in Montreal.

- Bell chipped in 5 million but told group never to come back again.

- Expos got unexpected break when they hired Kevin Kennedy as bench coach. He was former LA top farm team manager. Put the Expos onto Pedro Martinez, John Wettleland, Oh Henry and Darrin Fletcher. As he managed them in minors and several years against Fletcher, knew they were going to be good major leaguers.(Now I know why DD looked so good as our GM but not in Boston)

- By late '90s Montreal had been financially decimated by separatist movement.

- At the end of it consortium group turned on Brochu and voted him out.

- Loria bought 24% stake in team for 12 million (USA). Handed out inflated contracts to mediocre players like Grame Lloyd or Lee Stevens. Thus increasing costs and asked for cash calls. Consortium lost shares of team when unable to answer. By end of 2001, Loria owned 94%. Many feel this was done on purpose by Selig and Loria. To be able to get team out of Montreal. As Selig played major role in franchise swap between Marlins and Expos.

Last edited by Mats86: 04-05-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old
04-05-2014, 10:52 AM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

14,000 attendance for a Friday night game last night in Tampa.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
What was his name on there? I use to post there also.
joneseyjones

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
joneseyjones
Okay...I remember seeing that name on there

Old
04-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Eazy T

I would like to see the Expos come back. It would so cool if they built a new stadium in a downtown location.

Eazy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 08:02 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
The Jays will never get a big tv contract as long as Rogers stays the owner. Why would they sell their tv rights when they can show them and advertise all their products for free. They make millions of dollars off owning the team. People seem to think that Rogers is losing money with owning the team...sure the actual team and the gate revenue may not be as high as Rogers wants but when you're a media empire and you can advertise all your products for free on all your stations and airwaves on all the media platforms you own why in the world would you sell that?

Another point I want to make Rogers are actually the richest owners in baseball. If they sold their tv rights to another company...you add the multi-multi millions of dollars from that tv contract add in the 3-4 billion dollars that Rogers is worth and they bypass the Steinbrenners (Yankees) and Magic Johnson and co. (Dodgers) as the richest owners in baseball. Rogers could easily support a 150-million dollar payroll but they treat everything like a business. Budgets are a part of everything. Beeston said in a recent article that if revenues go up then payroll will go up. Right now I think they're spending over 130-million on payroll, it's chump change for them.

The numbers are skewed a bit because you don't get a fair number or an accurate number on what the tv rights are worth for the Jays because Rogers pays almost nothing for them. The value of the franchise would skyrocket if Rogers ever sold the tv rights but like I pointed out they'd never do it.

Imagine how much money Rogers was making when they had a payroll of under 70 million dollars only 4-5 years ago..it's mind boggling how long Rogers cheaped out on the team. They treated the Jays like garbage and they used them like a dirty *****. They gained profits like you wouldn't believe. They bought Rogers Centre for like 25-million dollars...like 10 cents on the dollar. They got away with a lot. It's nice to see over the past 2 years they finally pumped the pay-roll up where it should be always. There is no excuse for Rogers to treat this team like the TB Rays and barely have a pay-roll that resembles a minor league team like they did for so long.
Sportsnet is paying Jays only $225,000 per game. Or 36 million annually. That's not much compared to similar clubs. Jays are in the 7th biggest baseball market. Number one market actually as they have territorial rights to all of Canada.

In comparsion, Texas Rangers have a 20 year deal signed at $150-million (U.S.) a season. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim get even more. A small club like the San Diego Padres are getting $75-million a season. $36 million per is chump change to what is out there

Revenue sharing will end for them in 2016. Jays need a much better tv deal.