HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thu., Apr. 3, 2014| Blue Jackets 2 at Flyers 0

Old
04-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Striiker
I hate zebras

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Was at the game, very disappointed with the effort outside of the 2nd period. Giroux has cooled off and the whole offense has come to a stop. Very frustrating, especially considering the time of year.
Not Girouxs fault at all. He's playing with Hartnell and Voracek who are literally doing everything in their power to turn over the puck as soon as they touch it. They killed chances at even strength and they killed powerplay opportunities. They've been worse than useless and you can visibly see when Giroux starts to get frustrated with them and tries to do too much by himself. He either needs different linemates or they need to stop playing like ****.

I have no clue how Berube doesn't switch up the lines. That long without a goal and he does nothing to even try to fix it. Moving 40 to the 2nd line wing isn't a solution, it's stupid. That's like looking at an overflowing toilet and trying to fix it by putting a piece of toilet paper on the ground, it doesn't fix anything.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:15 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Was at the game, very disappointed with the effort outside of the 2nd period. Giroux has cooled off and the whole offense has come to a stop. Very frustrating, especially considering the time of year.
I liked their first period as well minus on the PP. The third was ugly though, they came out flat & let up the second goal early then it just went down hill from there.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:23 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion of Goon View Post
It was a joke
Need to use your emoticons buddy. Too many people on this board who say serious stuff like that.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:30 AM
Random Forest
aka hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Is your excuse for cutting out my full quote that you're partially blind now too?

I said "Mason was weak or at least very heavily outplayed by Bob". You'd be a great journalist with the way you pick fights and cut off quotes to make completely different arguments that never existed.

I never went into any kind of in-depth analysis or anything of the sort. I never said Mason is bad or we should trade him. I said he was weak or at least heavily outplayed by Bob.

If you wanna play internet tough guy behind thinly veiled insults based off of selective quoting be my guest but I'm gonna go head out the door over there to find the sane people.
What difference does the second part of the quote make? It literally has no relationship to the first statement you made which was "Mason was weak". Saying "or at least heavily outplayed by Bob" does not change the first assertion that you initially made.

If you didn't mean to say Mason was weak, then you should have said it differently.

Random Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:30 AM
MadFerIt95*

I could live with getting shut out on tuesday. I thought we played well and had numerous good chances. But tonight just sucked all around. I don't care about what the shot chart said, we were badly out played. Worst loss in a while.

MadFerIt95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:32 AM
Harold Bingo
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I liked their first period as well minus on the PP. The third was ugly though, they came out flat & let up the second goal early then it just went down hill from there.
Agreed. I thought their first and second periods were decent (up until the PP goal) and the third period was a Devils/Rangers kind of game.

I thought Rinaldo was the Flyers' best player. Unfortunately, that's not a good thing.

Why does the PP suck at home?

Now they have to break their goalless streak against the the team with the second best GAA in the league.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:53 AM
Embiid
JoJo says no no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I can never buy that. The guy is still on the youngish side for goaltenders. He has extraordinary athletic talent and work ethic.
It was puzzling coming from Meltzer. He did admit in a blog post he was essentially wrong but then he pulled the same stunt all the other doubting Thomas' have been spouting....."we'll see" what he can do in a full season. Well even though he was injured and had a slow start he's on pace for his first 30 win season. His trajectory just keeps improving. His save percentage is also in that .920 sweet spot. Scared to see what he'll do in the playoffs if they secure a spot which seems likely. Goalies that can make first, second and even third saves can carry a team into the playoffs pretty far (like Halak did that one year).

Mason is having a very good year but until he can take that next step in the playoffs and put it into another gear I'll question how far he can take the team on his own and if his ceiling is Biron-like. I still think Bob's ceiling is higher but if his athleticism is ever compromised due to constant injuries then that is another matter. Mason has the tools including the height but he seems more prone to the soft goal that you can't afford in the playoffs where it is a game of inches. It should be interesting if both the Flyers and Columbus make it.

Embiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 01:03 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I can't be the only one to notice that Giroux has gone from being dominant and carrying the team on his back to being someone that resembles a career AHLer.

It's alarming this close to the playoffs.
what a idiotic ****ing comment.
the dude CARRIED this team for how long this year and now that hes had a couple of rough games he sucks. seriously man.
WTF

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 01:05 AM
StandingCow

Pretty disappointing loss. Columbus played like a desperate team and we played as if we already had a clinched spot. They deserved the win, we didn't.

Just hope this isn't the beginning of a losing streak and we end up missing the playoffs.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 01:07 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

overall the goaltending has been fine during this rough patch.
1 goal in the last 170 minutes. not going to win any hockey games with that production.

Old
04-04-2014, 01:08 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Pretty disappointing loss. Columbus played like a desperate team and we played as if we already had a clinched spot. They deserved the win, we didn't.

Just hope this isn't the beginning of a losing streak and we end up missing the playoffs.
if the Flyers don't come out angry and desperate on Saturday afternoon I am going to be very disappointed. this team went from having home ice in round 1 to looking like they will be fighting for wildcard position.

Old
04-04-2014, 02:00 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if the Flyers don't come out angry and desperate on Saturday afternoon I am going to be very disappointed. this team went from having home ice in round 1 to looking like they will be fighting for wildcard position.
Yep, and you know what... if they miss the playoffs it is their own dumb fault. They don't deserve it if they can't wake themselves up for games.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 02:13 AM
dats81

They were taking Columbus lightly as they were the whole season.
Not easy to keep up the energy level while playing every other night though.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 02:20 AM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

4 of last 5 games on the road. With BUF at home, which is a must win. Or they'll need to win 2 of the 4 road games to get in.

This team has done this all year when it looks like they're out of it, they get on a nice roll. But they'll need another one.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 03:14 AM
Random Forest
aka hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Yep, and you know what... if they miss the playoffs it is their own dumb fault. They don't deserve it if they can't wake themselves up for games.
Nice hyperbole. They woke up just fine for St. Louis and Boston. They drop one bad one, and now they don't get up for big games. Funny how that works. Why can't people take things for what they are? Always has to be some underlying meaning behind things. A bad game is a bad game. There is no pattern of wilting under pressure like there is with a team like the Leafs.

Random Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 06:47 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I can never buy that. The guy is still on the youngish side for goaltenders. He has extraordinary athletic talent and work ethic.
When I lived in Calgary - I got in to see the practice and was there for the TSN tradecentre shoot with a bunch of other Flyer fans.

I noticed how hard Bob worked and how he listened to what Reese was telling him. Compared to Bryz he looked more focused on the ice in practice and was pissed when someone scored. He is business when in net. I remember reading something about him being compared to Tretriak (sp) and Bob said he was his own person (something to that effect). Love that!

I wish him the best. Like many folks here I saw what we were giving up.

Hindsight is 20/20.

If the Flyers last night play in the dirty areas, the game looks different. Too much floating.

2nd - Schenn - Vinny - Simmonds
3rd - when is downie back?
4th - Rinaldo - Raffl - Hall

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 07:55 AM
flyershockey

My take on a couple of things last night:

1. This team is pretty snake bitten right now. They're generating a lot of shots (~130 for the last three games), but they're not generating much in the way of second and third chance opportunities. A lot of times they're one and done in the offensive zone. A lot of that is just bad luck recently, but it can also be attributed to the fact that the third forward is often hanging really high in the offensive zone. They're not getting a lot of net drive with two forwards.

2. This team looks like it's going to live or die by the powerplay in the playoffs. The even strength offense has struggled outside of the Giroux line.

3. The defense has played some pretty damn good hockey lately. They're keeping almost everything to the outside and limiting second chance opportunities on Mason. They're finally playing to their strengths of being a strong physical group that can limit opportunities around the net. As long as they continue to get good back pressure from the forwards, they're going to be very good in the playoffs when things get more and more physical.

4. They're still taking too many penalties. You're asking to get burned when you're giving opposing powerplays 3-5 chances a night. The penalty kill has been operating at an insane level lately, so it hasn't been as big a deal, but eventually, they're going to start to come back down to Earth a little bit. And that could spell some serious trouble in the playoffs where they won't be able to outscore the mistakes of bad penalties.

5. This team is missing Downie more than people think. He gets a lot of flack around here, but he's the straw that stirs the drink on that third line. Raffl has been decent in his spot, but he doesn't win as many board battles as Downie does. When Steve is winning those battles, that line looks a lot better on offense. Hopefully he gets back before the playoffs and they can get going again.

6. McGinn has no spot on this club. He's just not an NHL level player right now, and he may never be. He just does everything a half step slower than he needs to at this level.

7. There is still a lot to be excited about with this club. They're playing some very good hockey right now despite the recent results, and they're doing it in a way that transitions to solid hockey in the playoffs. Gone are the days where this team is run and gun. They move through all three zones as a five man unit, and every forward on the roster is becoming more and more responsible defensively.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 08:28 AM
Hiesenberg

This team reminds me of the one in October.

I'm not liking it.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 08:42 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Better now than in the playoffs, right? They'll bounce back enough to get into the playoffs (hopefully), then it's a whole new season. The reason they lost last night IMO was how awful the power play was. I mean, in the first period whenever the Flyers had the PP it looked like CBJ was actually on the man advantage.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Just popping in to say I though Mason looked pretty good, being 100% honest. Noone's gonna stop that second goal, short of blind luck. That was just throwing it at the net and getting some puck luck off a skate.

The more desperate team won, that's what usually happens in April.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Fragmuffin

If there is an ongoing masterplan in which we try to avoid playing the rags in the 1st round then I'm all for it, really the only team i don't want to have any business with. And ever since Bob left us for Columbus I kinda have a soft spot for that team... plus, seeing the leafs miss out on the playoffs would be a real treat. So no major tears shed from me last night.

Fragmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 09:19 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Yeah, the first was OK too minus the PPs. But when you spend 6 minutes on the pp in that period (more then a quarter of the period) and you look like garbage it kinda overshadows the good they did in that period. The third was just atrocious, nobody was supporting anyone and forecheckers and defenders just let the jackets do whatever they wanted. It's like the team completely forgot how to play without the puck. And with the puck wasn't much better either. They went into the period with 27 SOG and with ~5 min left they only had 30. They picked it up from there but you can't expect to win while only playing the last 5 minutes of the period when you're down 2-0.

**** poor effort all the way around.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 09:22 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Not Girouxs fault at all. He's playing with Hartnell and Voracek who are literally doing everything in their power to turn over the puck as soon as they touch it. They killed chances at even strength and they killed powerplay opportunities. They've been worse than useless and you can visibly see when Giroux starts to get frustrated with them and tries to do too much by himself. He either needs different linemates or they need to stop playing like ****.

I have no clue how Berube doesn't switch up the lines. That long without a goal and he does nothing to even try to fix it. Moving 40 to the 2nd line wing isn't a solution, it's stupid. That's like looking at an overflowing toilet and trying to fix it by putting a piece of toilet paper on the ground, it doesn't fix anything.
I wasn't blaming Giroux for the recent offensive struggles, I said he cooled off. For one reason or another that's true.

If I'm chief I swap Schenn and G (in terms of line mates not ice time or anything). Either that or re-unite the legion of dumb. They were actually pretty good together.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Teezax

Guys isn't it obvious what's happening here. Clearly they don't want the Rags (with home ice) in the first rd. They are trying to slot themselves in the top wildcard spot and play the Pens.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:10 AM
TheKingPin

I agree with a lot of posts about a lot of players under performing. I think they have lost the way in terms of getting a forecheck going. They think they can fly in on the rush and snipe a goal. Thats a very bad habit. The jackets forechecked, same as the blues. We did a better job of that against the bruins and blues in the that awesome first period. If we get back to that than the schenn line becomes relevant again with schenn, simmonds, and mcginn all the type that need that kind of play to be successful.

Because of that I think Downie has to be in again. He will forecheck.

The PP looks pretty poor too. Im not sure why we have gotten away from the slingshot play to get G or whoever in the zone with the puck. Allows a easy set up.

And then mason. He is definitely not great positionally on his weak side. Chara scored a similar goal to the one last night. He needs a little bruising up in that area as he is still god reflex wise. Id also like him to be more of a standup goalie as everyone shoots high on him. Those things can get worked on in the offseason.

I think we need to take the success that we had this year not as a indication of what may happen in the this playoffs but more that things are trending very well but we still have a lot of things to sure up.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote