HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would Sather trade for Salo again?

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2004, 12:44 PM
copperandblue

vCash: 500
Would Sather trade for Salo again?

Yesterday Sather aknowledged publically that he needs to find a replacement for Dunham.

The three names that were associated in the couple articles I read were Burke, Kolzig and Salo.

Kolzig

Kolzig has struggled even more than Tommy this year and he comes with over 12 mil left on his contract. I know they're the Rangers but I can't imagine even them commiting that kind of dough for 2 more years considering some of the guys they already have.

The positive with Kolzig is that he had that good playoff run a few years back, would Sather hang his hopes on something that happened 5 years ago? Mind you he has hung his phylosophy on a style that was played 20 yrs ago so who know.

Burke

I could definately see Sather wanting Burke but here is the kicker. Bobby Clarke is in the market for a goalie as well. Clarke won't go after Kolzig because of the money involved combined with Kolzig's mediocre play this year.

That takes us back to Burke. Philly has something that Pheonix would most definately want and that is Comrie. Gretz would probably jump at grabbing 'ol Bill Comrie's son, Comrie is down to 10 minutes a night and hasn't registered a point in 10 games. It's rumoured that Hitch is unhappy with little Mikey so....

Basically I could see Sather wanting Burke but the Philly - Pheonix trade is too perfect for both sides isn't it?

Salo

That brings us to Salo. Sather liked him enough to bring him here. He has a penchant for going after his ex players and although Salo has some disappointing playoff numbers, I think Sather is desperate to simply get there and not necessarily doing damage when they are in.

If Salo plays the way he is capable then he certainly could give the Rangers a lift into a playoff spot.

Does it just make sense that we could see Salo in NY silks in the near future?

Old
02-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Slats432

Can you honestly say that anything that NYR do really makes sense? At this point anything is possible for the Blueshirts.

Old
02-06-2004, 12:58 PM
oilers24

if salo did go to NY what would be comming back the other way?

Old
02-06-2004, 01:28 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers24
if salo did go to NY what would be comming back the other way?
Well that's easy: Poti.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:43 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Yesterday Sather aknowledged publically that he needs to find a replacement for Dunham.

The three names that were associated in the couple articles I read were Burke, Kolzig and Salo.

Kolzig

Kolzig has struggled even more than Tommy this year and he comes with over 12 mil left on his contract. I know they're the Rangers but I can't imagine even them commiting that kind of dough for 2 more years considering some of the guys they already have.

The positive with Kolzig is that he had that good playoff run a few years back, would Sather hang his hopes on something that happened 5 years ago? Mind you he has hung his phylosophy on a style that was played 20 yrs ago so who know.

Burke

I could definately see Sather wanting Burke but here is the kicker. Bobby Clarke is in the market for a goalie as well. Clarke won't go after Kolzig because of the money involved combined with Kolzig's mediocre play this year.

That takes us back to Burke. Philly has something that Pheonix would most definately want and that is Comrie. Gretz would probably jump at grabbing 'ol Bill Comrie's son, Comrie is down to 10 minutes a night and hasn't registered a point in 10 games. It's rumoured that Hitch is unhappy with little Mikey so....

Basically I could see Sather wanting Burke but the Philly - Pheonix trade is too perfect for both sides isn't it?

Salo

That brings us to Salo. Sather liked him enough to bring him here. He has a penchant for going after his ex players and although Salo has some disappointing playoff numbers, I think Sather is desperate to simply get there and not necessarily doing damage when they are in.

If Salo plays the way he is capable then he certainly could give the Rangers a lift into a playoff spot.

Does it just make sense that we could see Salo in NY silks in the near future?
Yah I read the story too. Of the three, I would put my money on Burke. Kolzig is the not same goalie as five years ago. Maybe if it was super cheap, Sather might consider it. The same with Salo, he's not consistent enough, although again, if it was supercheap then Sather might bite. Burke has been fairly consistent throughout most of his career and is a solid character veteran guy from all reports. As for Philly-Phoenix, Philly is probably fairly interested in Burke, especially since Burke and Esche has tandemed before. But I doubt if Comrie would be coming to Phoenix. Despite the family friendship with Gretzky, Phoenix traded away Daniel Briere to get bigger down the middle (Chris Gratton). Why would they then trade FOR a smallish, offensively minded centre like Comrie when they already had one in Briere?

I think the real question for Mr. Sather is what is Mike Dunham's future in NYR? I don't think Blackburn will be ready to be the #1 starter next year. They will need someone to be the #1 until then. Dunham has been hot and cold all year and Sather needs to either:
1) stick with Dunham for next couple of years
2) find a goalie, but this will not be a stopgap measure. It'll have to be someone who can play consistently for the next 3 years. That's why I doubt if it'll be Hasek, or Salo or Kolzig. Simply too old with the best years behind them.

Old
02-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Asiaoil

Rangers are unlikely given their position in the standings - but Salo is perfect playoff insurance for a team like Colorado with a good young guy carrying the load and no real backup. Salo will be inexpensive at the deadline, has no contractual strings past this season, and is a vet. If we got a 2nd round pick for him I would be very satisfied

Old
02-06-2004, 03:14 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
As for Philly-Phoenix, Philly is probably fairly interested in Burke, especially since Burke and Esche has tandemed before. But I doubt if Comrie would be coming to Phoenix. Despite the family friendship with Gretzky, Phoenix traded away Daniel Briere to get bigger down the middle (Chris Gratton). Why would they then trade FOR a smallish, offensively minded centre like Comrie when they already had one in Briere?
Maybe Pheonix would in turn then move Sillinger?

Obviously it's all just speculation and rumours but I got it from here,

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...tesnb0206.html

The Philadelphia Flyers reportedly also are interested in talking to the team about Burke. Center Mike Comrie's name circulated Thursday,

When I saw that, it made sense to me because of all the Comrie to Pheonix rumours going around when Lowe was lookingto move him so I figured I would pass it on.

Actually the part that surprises me a little is, Clark already had Burke in his satble at one point and it didn't work out so well, but I guess in the scope of who is available, Burke is probably the best of a mediocre bunch this year in terms of talent and Salo is probably the best in terms of cost.

Old
02-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Puckz

About Burke, it's been rumoured that the Rangers have been ruled out as a possible destination as the organization has promised Burke he will be traded to a contender... (ie. Philadelphia or Colorado). Their reason was since Burke has remained loyal and a character player throughout his tenure they will treat him with due respect. Just heard it that on SportsNet last night.

Old
02-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Oil_in_my_veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
Well that's easy: Poti.
call me crazy but I like it. but the only problem is, Oiler fans haven't forgotten how to boo him.

also does Salo have the mental toughness to perform in NY? Ranger fans are very unforgiving.

how about Salo and Smith for Poti, Markkanen and Lundmark

Old
02-06-2004, 03:36 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
call me crazy but I like it. but the only problem is, Oiler fans haven't forgotten how to boo him.

also does Salo have the mental toughness to perform in NY? Ranger fans are very unforgiving.

Was I the only one to noticed that Markkanen put up better numbers than Salo last year? I was saddened by his loss and would love to have him back. I relaly like this trade. Not sure if the Rangers would. Poti (whether we will admit it or not) is kind of what we need. A fast, puck-moving D-Man. Problem is: the booing that ran him out of town.

Old
02-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Oiler94

Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
I was about to post the exact same thing:

Poti, Markkanen and Lundmark for Smith and Salo

Old
02-06-2004, 03:53 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler94

So we are agreed. We just have the small task of ensuring that the "We Love Poti" chants overpower the "BOO"s..

I will do all I can from Ontario but I am leaving it to you Edmonton boys to carry this out.

Old
02-06-2004, 03:59 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Hey I have no problem with the idea of Poti coming back, or for that matter Comrie. Both are very talented young players. Look how forgiving everyone has been for Ulanov. He wasn't the most popular person after that Dallas series and him leaving town afterwards.

If either of them were to come back all they would have to do is appologize and say it was a big mistake leaving and fans here will suck it up. Poti would be great on our PP and Comrie would fit in better here then he would anywhere else.

Old
02-06-2004, 04:05 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan

Hey I would do this trade.

Top 6 of
Brewer - Poti
Lynch - Woywitka
Semenov - Greene

Bergeron

that looks great post CBA..

Old
02-06-2004, 04:07 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Hey I have no problem with the idea of Poti coming back, or for that matter Comrie. Both are very talented young players. Look how forgiving everyone has been for Ulanov. He wasn't the most popular person after that Dallas series and him leaving town afterwards.

If either of them were to come back all they would have to do is appologize and say it was a big mistake leaving and fans here will suck it up. Poti would be great on our PP and Comrie would fit in better here then he would anywhere else.
Well, there's really no comparison between Ulanov's earlier situation and Poti's/Comrie's, but I wouldn't say it's impossible for either to return. Poti should actually be easier as it's been longer since his trade, but there will still be plenty of people ready to boo him again.

Ulanov had a career year during the reg. season his last time here and was one of our top two defencemen that year, so he built up a lot of goodwill until playing poorly in the playoffs. Leaving as a UFA to take a big payday with the Rangers didn't do that much to take away from his great regular season, at least for *me* it didn't.

Still, I'd say there's about a zero percent chance of Comrie coming back in a trade this year or next, and a 10% chance of Poti.

Bart

Old
02-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Mr Sakich

i have always felt tommy's fianl resting home will be NYR.. Sather is gonzo if they miss the playoffs again so he doesn't care if he gives up a kid. With erica going down, I could see an oates / salo for one of blackurn / tjuitin, or lundmark.

Old
02-06-2004, 04:27 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
i have always felt tommy's fianl resting home will be NYR.. Sather is gonzo if they miss the playoffs again so he doesn't care if he gives up a kid. With erica going down, I could see an oates / salo for one of blackurn / tjuitin, or lundmark.
Oddly enough, I could actually picture Oates doing well there.

But boy oh boy if Sather pulled that deal and still missed the playoffs, he would never get out of NY alive.

I don't think Lowe would get a two for two deal. Actually one of the reasons I can picture Salo possibly moving is because his return would be very light. A mid round pick I would expect. Anything more a Lowe does good.

However if he adds a player (Oates as you suggest) then it's a little easier for Sather to justify moving a youngster or lower pick.

Old
02-06-2004, 11:57 PM
AVE MAN

I think Slats will only take Salo if he can't get Burke or Kolzig. People of NY are absolutely sick of the EDM to NY pipeline. The Oilers seem to not to mind it. York and Dvorak help that opinion Im sure.

Old
02-07-2004, 12:13 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN
I think Slats will only take Salo if he can't get Burke or Kolzig. People of NY are absolutely sick of the EDM to NY pipeline. The Oilers seem to not to mind it. York and Dvorak help that opinion Im sure.
I'd love to get one of Blackburn/Lundmark in a Salo + Oates deal.. I actually think Oates would look quite good in New York (passing to guys like Kovalev, Jagr and Lindros on the powerplay) and probably get up to at least 0.75 points/game.. unfortunately, I don't think Sather would give up any of his young guys for an overpaid goaltender and 40 year old centerman unless he was absolutely desperate.

Old
02-07-2004, 01:06 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I'd love to get one of Blackburn/Lundmark in a Salo + Oates deal.. I actually think Oates would look quite good in New York (passing to guys like Kovalev, Jagr and Lindros on the powerplay) and probably get up to at least 0.75 points/game.. unfortunately, I don't think Sather would give up any of his young guys for an overpaid goaltender and 40 year old centerman unless he was absolutely desperate.
And you think the current situation doesn't qualify as 'desperate'?

Old
02-07-2004, 11:43 AM
LawnDemon

all you nutcases wanting poti to come back to edmonton seem to be ignoring a few facts:

- he CAN'T quarterback a PP as evidenced by the rangers numbers (Even with leetch) this year
- he NEVER throws the body
- he SUCKS positionally
- he makes 3.5 million per season

bottom line: you guys should stop eating elmers glue.

Old
02-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Matts

Well Slats has done lots of stupid things

We once saw him trade a kid who once had a 10 game point streak for Barrie Moore and a fishplant worker, ie Craig Millar.

So it wouldn't surpriseme to see him reach out and give Tommy another shot but I don't think we'd get back much for him.

Old
02-07-2004, 04:09 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler94

I like it.

Old
02-07-2004, 04:12 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
all you nutcases wanting poti to come back to edmonton seem to be ignoring a few facts:

- he CAN'T quarterback a PP as evidenced by the rangers numbers (Even with leetch) this year
- he NEVER throws the body
- he SUCKS positionally
- he makes 3.5 million per season

bottom line: you guys should stop eating elmers glue.
I'm sure the Rangers would eat some of his salary.

Closed Thread