HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would Sather trade for Salo again?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2004, 12:44 PM
  #1
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Would Sather trade for Salo again?

Yesterday Sather aknowledged publically that he needs to find a replacement for Dunham.

The three names that were associated in the couple articles I read were Burke, Kolzig and Salo.

Kolzig

Kolzig has struggled even more than Tommy this year and he comes with over 12 mil left on his contract. I know they're the Rangers but I can't imagine even them commiting that kind of dough for 2 more years considering some of the guys they already have.

The positive with Kolzig is that he had that good playoff run a few years back, would Sather hang his hopes on something that happened 5 years ago? Mind you he has hung his phylosophy on a style that was played 20 yrs ago so who know.

Burke

I could definately see Sather wanting Burke but here is the kicker. Bobby Clarke is in the market for a goalie as well. Clarke won't go after Kolzig because of the money involved combined with Kolzig's mediocre play this year.

That takes us back to Burke. Philly has something that Pheonix would most definately want and that is Comrie. Gretz would probably jump at grabbing 'ol Bill Comrie's son, Comrie is down to 10 minutes a night and hasn't registered a point in 10 games. It's rumoured that Hitch is unhappy with little Mikey so....

Basically I could see Sather wanting Burke but the Philly - Pheonix trade is too perfect for both sides isn't it?

Salo

That brings us to Salo. Sather liked him enough to bring him here. He has a penchant for going after his ex players and although Salo has some disappointing playoff numbers, I think Sather is desperate to simply get there and not necessarily doing damage when they are in.

If Salo plays the way he is capable then he certainly could give the Rangers a lift into a playoff spot.

Does it just make sense that we could see Salo in NY silks in the near future?

copperandblue is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 12:46 PM
  #2
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,462
vCash: 500
Can you honestly say that anything that NYR do really makes sense? At this point anything is possible for the Blueshirts.

Slats432 is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 12:58 PM
  #3
oilers24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 272
vCash: 500
if salo did go to NY what would be comming back the other way?

oilers24 is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 01:28 PM
  #4
kyle
Registered User
 
kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers24
if salo did go to NY what would be comming back the other way?
Well that's easy: Poti.

kyle is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 02:43 PM
  #5
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Yesterday Sather aknowledged publically that he needs to find a replacement for Dunham.

The three names that were associated in the couple articles I read were Burke, Kolzig and Salo.

Kolzig

Kolzig has struggled even more than Tommy this year and he comes with over 12 mil left on his contract. I know they're the Rangers but I can't imagine even them commiting that kind of dough for 2 more years considering some of the guys they already have.

The positive with Kolzig is that he had that good playoff run a few years back, would Sather hang his hopes on something that happened 5 years ago? Mind you he has hung his phylosophy on a style that was played 20 yrs ago so who know.

Burke

I could definately see Sather wanting Burke but here is the kicker. Bobby Clarke is in the market for a goalie as well. Clarke won't go after Kolzig because of the money involved combined with Kolzig's mediocre play this year.

That takes us back to Burke. Philly has something that Pheonix would most definately want and that is Comrie. Gretz would probably jump at grabbing 'ol Bill Comrie's son, Comrie is down to 10 minutes a night and hasn't registered a point in 10 games. It's rumoured that Hitch is unhappy with little Mikey so....

Basically I could see Sather wanting Burke but the Philly - Pheonix trade is too perfect for both sides isn't it?

Salo

That brings us to Salo. Sather liked him enough to bring him here. He has a penchant for going after his ex players and although Salo has some disappointing playoff numbers, I think Sather is desperate to simply get there and not necessarily doing damage when they are in.

If Salo plays the way he is capable then he certainly could give the Rangers a lift into a playoff spot.

Does it just make sense that we could see Salo in NY silks in the near future?
Yah I read the story too. Of the three, I would put my money on Burke. Kolzig is the not same goalie as five years ago. Maybe if it was super cheap, Sather might consider it. The same with Salo, he's not consistent enough, although again, if it was supercheap then Sather might bite. Burke has been fairly consistent throughout most of his career and is a solid character veteran guy from all reports. As for Philly-Phoenix, Philly is probably fairly interested in Burke, especially since Burke and Esche has tandemed before. But I doubt if Comrie would be coming to Phoenix. Despite the family friendship with Gretzky, Phoenix traded away Daniel Briere to get bigger down the middle (Chris Gratton). Why would they then trade FOR a smallish, offensively minded centre like Comrie when they already had one in Briere?

I think the real question for Mr. Sather is what is Mike Dunham's future in NYR? I don't think Blackburn will be ready to be the #1 starter next year. They will need someone to be the #1 until then. Dunham has been hot and cold all year and Sather needs to either:
1) stick with Dunham for next couple of years
2) find a goalie, but this will not be a stopgap measure. It'll have to be someone who can play consistently for the next 3 years. That's why I doubt if it'll be Hasek, or Salo or Kolzig. Simply too old with the best years behind them.

Master Lok is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 03:00 PM
  #6
Asiaoil
Registered User
 
Asiaoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Thailand
Posts: 5,259
vCash: 500
Rangers are unlikely given their position in the standings - but Salo is perfect playoff insurance for a team like Colorado with a good young guy carrying the load and no real backup. Salo will be inexpensive at the deadline, has no contractual strings past this season, and is a vet. If we got a 2nd round pick for him I would be very satisfied

Asiaoil is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 03:14 PM
  #7
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
As for Philly-Phoenix, Philly is probably fairly interested in Burke, especially since Burke and Esche has tandemed before. But I doubt if Comrie would be coming to Phoenix. Despite the family friendship with Gretzky, Phoenix traded away Daniel Briere to get bigger down the middle (Chris Gratton). Why would they then trade FOR a smallish, offensively minded centre like Comrie when they already had one in Briere?
Maybe Pheonix would in turn then move Sillinger?

Obviously it's all just speculation and rumours but I got it from here,

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...tesnb0206.html

The Philadelphia Flyers reportedly also are interested in talking to the team about Burke. Center Mike Comrie's name circulated Thursday,

When I saw that, it made sense to me because of all the Comrie to Pheonix rumours going around when Lowe was lookingto move him so I figured I would pass it on.

Actually the part that surprises me a little is, Clark already had Burke in his satble at one point and it didn't work out so well, but I guess in the scope of who is available, Burke is probably the best of a mediocre bunch this year in terms of talent and Salo is probably the best in terms of cost.

copperandblue is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 03:19 PM
  #8
Puckz
Registered User
 
Puckz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
About Burke, it's been rumoured that the Rangers have been ruled out as a possible destination as the organization has promised Burke he will be traded to a contender... (ie. Philadelphia or Colorado). Their reason was since Burke has remained loyal and a character player throughout his tenure they will treat him with due respect. Just heard it that on SportsNet last night.

Puckz is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 03:23 PM
  #9
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
Well that's easy: Poti.
call me crazy but I like it. but the only problem is, Oiler fans haven't forgotten how to boo him.

also does Salo have the mental toughness to perform in NY? Ranger fans are very unforgiving.

how about Salo and Smith for Poti, Markkanen and Lundmark

Oil_in_my_veins is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 03:36 PM
  #10
kyle
Registered User
 
kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
call me crazy but I like it. but the only problem is, Oiler fans haven't forgotten how to boo him.

also does Salo have the mental toughness to perform in NY? Ranger fans are very unforgiving.

how about Salo and Smith for Poti, Markkanen and Lundmark
Was I the only one to noticed that Markkanen put up better numbers than Salo last year? I was saddened by his loss and would love to have him back. I relaly like this trade. Not sure if the Rangers would. Poti (whether we will admit it or not) is kind of what we need. A fast, puck-moving D-Man. Problem is: the booing that ran him out of town.

kyle is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 03:44 PM
  #11
Oiler94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oiltown
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
I was about to post the exact same thing:

Poti, Markkanen and Lundmark for Smith and Salo

Oiler94 is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 03:53 PM
  #12
kyle
Registered User
 
kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler94
I was about to post the exact same thing:

Poti, Markkanen and Lundmark for Smith and Salo
So we are agreed. We just have the small task of ensuring that the "We Love Poti" chants overpower the "BOO"s..

I will do all I can from Ontario but I am leaving it to you Edmonton boys to carry this out.

kyle is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 03:59 PM
  #13
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,750
vCash: 500
Hey I have no problem with the idea of Poti coming back, or for that matter Comrie. Both are very talented young players. Look how forgiving everyone has been for Ulanov. He wasn't the most popular person after that Dallas series and him leaving town afterwards.

If either of them were to come back all they would have to do is appologize and say it was a big mistake leaving and fans here will suck it up. Poti would be great on our PP and Comrie would fit in better here then he would anywhere else.

s7ark is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 04:05 PM
  #14
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
call me crazy but I like it. but the only problem is, Oiler fans haven't forgotten how to boo him.

also does Salo have the mental toughness to perform in NY? Ranger fans are very unforgiving.

how about Salo and Smith for Poti, Markkanen and Lundmark
Hey I would do this trade.

Top 6 of
Brewer - Poti
Lynch - Woywitka
Semenov - Greene

Bergeron

that looks great post CBA..

s7ark is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 04:07 PM
  #15
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Hey I have no problem with the idea of Poti coming back, or for that matter Comrie. Both are very talented young players. Look how forgiving everyone has been for Ulanov. He wasn't the most popular person after that Dallas series and him leaving town afterwards.

If either of them were to come back all they would have to do is appologize and say it was a big mistake leaving and fans here will suck it up. Poti would be great on our PP and Comrie would fit in better here then he would anywhere else.
Well, there's really no comparison between Ulanov's earlier situation and Poti's/Comrie's, but I wouldn't say it's impossible for either to return. Poti should actually be easier as it's been longer since his trade, but there will still be plenty of people ready to boo him again.

Ulanov had a career year during the reg. season his last time here and was one of our top two defencemen that year, so he built up a lot of goodwill until playing poorly in the playoffs. Leaving as a UFA to take a big payday with the Rangers didn't do that much to take away from his great regular season, at least for *me* it didn't.

Still, I'd say there's about a zero percent chance of Comrie coming back in a trade this year or next, and a 10% chance of Poti.

Bart

barto is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 04:14 PM
  #16
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,080
vCash: 500
i have always felt tommy's fianl resting home will be NYR.. Sather is gonzo if they miss the playoffs again so he doesn't care if he gives up a kid. With erica going down, I could see an oates / salo for one of blackurn / tjuitin, or lundmark.

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 04:27 PM
  #17
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
i have always felt tommy's fianl resting home will be NYR.. Sather is gonzo if they miss the playoffs again so he doesn't care if he gives up a kid. With erica going down, I could see an oates / salo for one of blackurn / tjuitin, or lundmark.
Oddly enough, I could actually picture Oates doing well there.

But boy oh boy if Sather pulled that deal and still missed the playoffs, he would never get out of NY alive.

I don't think Lowe would get a two for two deal. Actually one of the reasons I can picture Salo possibly moving is because his return would be very light. A mid round pick I would expect. Anything more a Lowe does good.

However if he adds a player (Oates as you suggest) then it's a little easier for Sather to justify moving a youngster or lower pick.

copperandblue is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 11:57 PM
  #18
AVE MAN
Registered User
 
AVE MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,179
vCash: 500
I think Slats will only take Salo if he can't get Burke or Kolzig. People of NY are absolutely sick of the EDM to NY pipeline. The Oilers seem to not to mind it. York and Dvorak help that opinion Im sure.

AVE MAN is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 12:13 AM
  #19
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN
I think Slats will only take Salo if he can't get Burke or Kolzig. People of NY are absolutely sick of the EDM to NY pipeline. The Oilers seem to not to mind it. York and Dvorak help that opinion Im sure.
I'd love to get one of Blackburn/Lundmark in a Salo + Oates deal.. I actually think Oates would look quite good in New York (passing to guys like Kovalev, Jagr and Lindros on the powerplay) and probably get up to at least 0.75 points/game.. unfortunately, I don't think Sather would give up any of his young guys for an overpaid goaltender and 40 year old centerman unless he was absolutely desperate.

Cerebral is online now  
Old
02-07-2004, 01:06 AM
  #20
theoil
Registered User
 
theoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I'd love to get one of Blackburn/Lundmark in a Salo + Oates deal.. I actually think Oates would look quite good in New York (passing to guys like Kovalev, Jagr and Lindros on the powerplay) and probably get up to at least 0.75 points/game.. unfortunately, I don't think Sather would give up any of his young guys for an overpaid goaltender and 40 year old centerman unless he was absolutely desperate.
And you think the current situation doesn't qualify as 'desperate'?

theoil is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 11:43 AM
  #21
LawnDemon
Registered User
 
LawnDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Danger Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,984
vCash: 500
all you nutcases wanting poti to come back to edmonton seem to be ignoring a few facts:

- he CAN'T quarterback a PP as evidenced by the rangers numbers (Even with leetch) this year
- he NEVER throws the body
- he SUCKS positionally
- he makes 3.5 million per season

bottom line: you guys should stop eating elmers glue.

LawnDemon is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 12:50 PM
  #22
Matts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
Well Slats has done lots of stupid things

We once saw him trade a kid who once had a 10 game point streak for Barrie Moore and a fishplant worker, ie Craig Millar.

So it wouldn't surpriseme to see him reach out and give Tommy another shot but I don't think we'd get back much for him.

Matts is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 04:09 PM
  #23
t0mf00lery
Registered User
 
t0mf00lery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler94
I was about to post the exact same thing:

Poti, Markkanen and Lundmark for Smith and Salo

I like it.

t0mf00lery is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 04:12 PM
  #24
t0mf00lery
Registered User
 
t0mf00lery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
all you nutcases wanting poti to come back to edmonton seem to be ignoring a few facts:

- he CAN'T quarterback a PP as evidenced by the rangers numbers (Even with leetch) this year
- he NEVER throws the body
- he SUCKS positionally
- he makes 3.5 million per season

bottom line: you guys should stop eating elmers glue.
I'm sure the Rangers would eat some of his salary.

t0mf00lery is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.