HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Benoit Pouliot Megathread

Old
03-21-2014, 11:34 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Yes. Team keep making mistakes on Pouliot. Hopefully the Rangers snap the trend.
Yeah. That's what it is.

Last edited by Megustaelhockey: 03-21-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: natd - your previous post was deleted for a reason.
pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Thirty One
k.

vCash: 420
http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=6873

Quote:
I bring this up because I was thinking about Benoit Pouliot today. Cam Charron wrote about him last summer in the context of him being someone that the Leafs should acquire. The Leafs did not and the Rangers picked him up. Heís been a third liner on their team but he has a killer Corsi% Rel, particularly when you take into account what guys playing 11.15 5v5 minutes generally do.

As Charron laid out, this isnít unusual for Pouliot. Itís bizarre to me that he keeps bouncing around and making teams better and then not getting much of a contract. Heís currently on a one year deal at $1.3MM in New York and available again this summer. The Rangers are probably the favourites to come out of the Metro Division, in large part because the bottom end of Pittsburgh is a wasteland. I assume that thereís something irritating about Pouliot Ė sideburns or something Ė but whatever it is, itís hard to imagine it being more important than the fact that he seems like an awfully useful bottom of the roster type who hasnít seemed to require a lot in terms of money or term.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 05:24 PM
TrueBlue9

Quote:
If you remember the early part of the season he was absolutely abysmal. Took terrible penalties, went offsides at inopportune times, didn't hustle back on defense. Alain was incredibly patient with Pouliot. Most coaches, Torts especially would have scratched or sent him down.

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Thirty One
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue9 View Post
If you remember the early part of the season he was absolutely abysmal. Took terrible penalties, went offsides at inopportune times, didn't hustle back on defense. Alain was incredibly patient with Pouliot. Most coaches, Torts especially would have scratched or sent him down.
If AV would have sent him down that would have been a ridiculously short-sighted move.

Old
04-03-2014, 05:28 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Absolutely.

It's been the tale of 2 seasons for Pouliot. Some of the worst hockey of his career followed by the best. I'd resign him in a heartbeat; he's been fantastic for a large portion of the season. He plays this way over 82 games and I think you're looking at a 45 point guy who sticks up for his teammates, busts his ass every shift and plays a good possession game. Sign me up.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Emptyvoid

Great third liner and good on 5v5 and PP. Absolutely bring him back. Give him a two year deal.

Emptyvoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 05:59 PM
PMII
Shattendeuces

vCash: 50
Hopefully he'll sign like a two years, $2M per contract. Would love to bring him back and maybe move Hags in a package for another top-6 LW to compliment Kreider.

04-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
Hopefully he'll sign like a two years, $2M per contract. Would love to bring him back and maybe move Hags in a package for another top-6 LW to compliment Kreider.
How do you feel about Skinner? I think he'd be a nice addition. Doesn't help our size though....would be a pretty small top 6.

Edit: I've always been interested in Boedker, amazing speed.

Emptyvoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 06:18 PM
PMII
Shattendeuces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptyvoid View Post
What do you feel about Skinner? I think he'd be a nice addition. Doesn't help our size though....would be a pretty small top 6.
Does give us a sniper, though, and I think we lack that more than size.

Not a fan of his contract and injury history, though.

PMII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 06:38 PM
NYR Viper

This is the best overall Pouliot has ever played in the NHL. If he can play consistently at, or near, the top of his game he's a good depth scorer. I'd bring him back. Good size. Adds some physicality. Still young.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
This is the best overall Pouliot has ever played in the NHL. If he can play consistently at, or near, the top of his game he's a good depth scorer. I'd bring him back. Good size. Adds some physicality. Still young.
Hey I have to give him credit where credit it due. He was absolute dog **** the first 35 games, but since then he simplified his game, has gone to the dirty areas every shift in the offensive zone, finishes his checks, and stays active in the slot buying room for his linemates.

Defensively he's back checked hard, and did his job. Earlier this year he played cute, made a lot of euroleague plays that don't work on the smaller rink, but since he's simplified his game, he's played a lot better.

You see his skill with the puck on his stick, but Benoit unfortunately doesn't have the physical strength to play that skilled power forward game where he can beat guys and power through, he has to get by on his wits and hard work.

He's done that pretty much every shift since mid December, and has earned himself an extension in my eyes since he's kept it up. 2 years, sub $2M. The game against CLB changed my mind about him, he did something that was outside of his role because Twigy wouldn't, and that earned him respect in my book.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 07:30 PM
mrhockey193195

Chemistry is so hard to find in this league. You absolutely bring back Pouliot and keep that third line together.

mrhockey193195 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Pouliot has been a great third liner and needs to be re-signed. He is one reclamation project that worked out. Unless he wants a crazy amount, it is not even a close call to resign him.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 01:09 AM
GraveyTrain9

Pouliot needs to be brought back... strong player in all facets of the game, just wish he'd use that wonderful shot of his more often.

I would be willing to give him up to $2.5 per for 2 or 3 years.

GraveyTrain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 01:47 AM
SnowblindNYR

Pouliot is the perfect 3rd liner, jack of all trade master of none. Although much like Brassard I'm surprised his production isn't as good as could be. Brassard is an even bigger enigma, one of the most talented players on the team.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 08:55 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Definitely bring Pouliot back, assuming the price is right. He's a good depth player, and can play on a higher line in a pinch without looking out of place.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Thirty One
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Pouliot has been a great third liner and needs to be re-signed. He is one reclamation project that worked out. Unless he wants a crazy amount, it is not even a close call to resign him.
One of those reclamation projects that's producing at the pace he has for the last 3 seasons.

Old
04-04-2014, 10:30 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
One of those reclamation projects that's producing at the pace he has for the last 3 seasons.
Production and overall play are 2 separate things.

Old
04-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Thirty One
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Production and overall play are 2 separate things.
In what ways has his overall play improved since 2010-11?

Old
04-04-2014, 10:33 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
In what ways has his overall play improved since 2010-11?
Consistency away from the puck, consistency with his physical game, defensive game has improved.

Old
04-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Holocene

vCash: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Pouliot is the perfect 3rd liner, jack of all trade master of none. Although much like Brassard I'm surprised his production isn't as good as could be. Brassard is an even bigger enigma, one of the most talented players on the team.
You know, everyone has always said how inconsistent Brassard is but I think he's been one of our most consistent players this year. No really long hot or cold streaks and has a career high in goals. Our third line has been pretty great and reliable. It's easy to see that the three of them have chemistry and enjoy playing together. We gotta bring Poo back as long as the contract is reasonable.

Holocene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:50 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
You know, everyone has always said how inconsistent Brassard is but I think he's been one of our most consistent players this year. No really long hot or cold streaks and has a career high in goals. Our third line has been pretty great and reliable. It's easy to see that the three of them have chemistry and enjoy playing together. We gotta bring Poo back as long as the contract is reasonable.
I just feel like Brassard looks at times like Zucc with a better shot. The guy has the talent and vision to be a 60 point player meanwhile he seems to be a 40+ point player.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 01:06 PM
GraveyTrain9

what would be the highest amount of dollars/ term you guys would give him?

$2.5per/3 years too much? -- just curious. He has been underpaid throughout his career and I could see him asking for that (or even getting that elsewhere).

GraveyTrain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 01:08 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonster View Post
what would be the highest amount of dollars/ term you guys would give him?

$2.5per/3 years too much? -- just curious. He has been underpaid throughout his career and I could see him asking for that (or even getting that elsewhere).
2.25 million for 2 years

Old
04-04-2014, 01:17 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
I actually thought he played pretty well in October (at least in comparison to everyone else on the ice who flat out sucked.) It seemed like he developed Chris Higgins syndrome where he just couldn't score at all even with prime chances which is why his stats were horrid. Funny thing is once the team finally started to play decent in November, his game went to complete **** with the homestand in December being rock bottom for him. Ever since then though, he's been great.