HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais Discussions - Part III - Montreal's Masterton nominee

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-04-2014, 02:15 PM
  #751
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
If he is THAT easy to neutralize why is he producing points at an all-star pace the last 4+ months.

Are you saying NHL players, the best in the world, and the best coaches in the world can't manage something you consider "easy"?

Eller is 6'2" why is he SO easy to neutralize(3-3-6 the last 46 games)? You'd think that size and skill would be impossible to stop?

People on here DO always complain about the size of players, ALL OF THEM, it gets brought up pretty much daily...where have you been the last 5 years?


Mainly because he has 2 elite wingers plays most of the entire PP and is given more ozone faceoffs than any centerman on the team?

If you're going to compare him to Eller, then compare apples to apples. What has Lars' play been like with the exact same role as DD?

The fact that you think DD does not get neutralized and Lars does tells me this conversation need not go any further. Let me know when you want to talk honestly.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 02:16 PM
  #752
pepperMonkey
Registered User
 
pepperMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,961
vCash: 500
I think the general line of thought goes two ways...

Those in DD's camp believe he is the best passer on the team. With two of the best goal scorers on the team, they believe DD provides the best chance for those scorers to get goals. Most of those in this camp also generally believes he's not really #1 C on a contender quality but the best we have...well, I could be wrong here I suppose but that's the general feeling I get (albeit there are certainly those who seem to think he's #1 C capable).

Those in Eller's camp believe that he is better defensively and more importantly, as good (or good enough) or better than DD in the offensive area as well. And because he is younger and bigger, he should be used offensively more than DD. And that DD should not be on the team because he isn't good enough for the 2nd/3rd/and 4th line because of his size and a few think he shouldn't even be in the NHL (albeit the last bit could be just a very vocal minority).

There are also those complaining about how either/both Galch's and Pleks are also better offensively than DD but they seem to be drowned out by the above two scenarios.

Oh...and other than a small minority, most everyone thinks this whole mess is MT's fault.

So does the above give a good summary of the last ~10+ DD bash threads (i.e. 10,000+ posts)?

pepperMonkey is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 02:21 PM
  #753
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Mainly because he has 2 elite wingers plays most of the entire PP and is given more ozone faceoffs than any centerman on the team?

If you're going to compare him to Eller, then compare apples to apples. What has Lars' play been like with the exact same role as DD?

The fact that you think DD does not get neutralized and Lars does tells me this conversation need not go any further. Let me know when you want to talk honestly.
Even before he had another elite winger he was producing at 0.85 PPGM the last 3 months. Most guys on a top offensive line are put in offensive zone starts and have 1 if not 2 elite wingers. I'm sure Crosby's shifts are with Engelland and Zolnerczyk and he only gets defensive zone starts.

It's hard to directly compare Eller and DD. DD has been put in a big role and done very well, Eller has been put in a small role and has struggled mightily. What makes you think he would do better in a bigger role? Yes he'd have better linemates, but also tougher opposition(trying to stop him) that's the part you conveniently leave out.

You're right, Lars can't be stopped to the tune of 6 points in 46 games and Desharnais has been "neutralized" to the tune of 49 in 55 games.


Monctonscout is online now  
Old
04-04-2014, 02:24 PM
  #754
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
I think the general line of thought goes two ways...

Those in DD's camp believe he is the best passer on the team. With two of the best goal scorers on the team, they believe DD provides the best chance for those scorers to get goals. Most of those in this camp also generally believes he's not really #1 C on a contender quality but the best we have...well, I could be wrong here I suppose but that's the general feeling I get (albeit there are certainly those who seem to think he's #1 C capable).

Those in Eller's camp believe that he is better defensively and more importantly, as good (or good enough) or better than DD in the offensive area as well. And because he is younger and bigger, he should be used offensively more than DD. And that DD should not be on the team because he isn't good enough for the 2nd/3rd/and 4th line because of his size and a few think he shouldn't even be in the NHL (albeit the last bit could be just a very vocal minority).

There are also those complaining about how either/both Galch's and Pleks are also better offensively than DD but they seem to be drowned out by the above two scenarios.

Oh...and other than a small minority, most everyone thinks this whole mess is MT's fault.

So does the above give a good summary of the last ~10+ DD bash threads (i.e. 10,000+ posts)?
Bottom line ? DD wears bikini briefs. Would you feel safe going into battle with a guy like that? I wouldn't.

Habs is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 02:42 PM
  #755
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Even before he had another elite winger he was producing at 0.85 PPGM the last 3 months. Most guys on a top offensive line are put in offensive zone starts and have 1 if not 2 elite wingers. I'm sure Crosby's shifts are with Engelland and Zolnerczyk and he only gets defensive zone starts.

It's hard to directly compare Eller and DD. DD has been put in a big role and done very well, Eller has been put in a small role and has struggled mightily. What makes you think he would do better in a bigger role? Yes he'd have better linemates, but also tougher opposition(trying to stop him) that's the part you conveniently leave out.

You're right, Lars can't be stopped to the tune of 6 points in 46 games and Desharnais has been "neutralized" to the tune of 49 in 55 games.

He had an elite winger on one side and one of the better wingers on the team on the other.

There is no doubt in my mind Lars would produce at the same level AND bring more to the team in other areas if he got the same linemates and role as DD. No doubt in my mind. On top of that, we'd be developing a player who is actually a part of the team's future.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 02:47 PM
  #756
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 26,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I don't love or hate any player...I leave that to some of the posters on here with massive agendas. I love the crest on the front of the logo.
You have done a very bad job showing how ''neutral'' you are. You keep making this into a DD vs Eller debate when it really has nothing to do with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
You conveniently leave out that the much ballyhooed reunion of the famous EGG line was an epic failure, they were -3 and a trainwreck. Eller also spent a few games with Plekanec and Gionta. Briere has always been productive with Plerkanec yet with Eller he's suddenly a black hole?
I didn't leave it out. It was tried ONCE, then split up. Freaking once! After not playing together for 5 months. The alternative? Put the kids with our toughest minute eating center in Plek? Well they each have 3pts and also are -3 in 10gp there. Wow. Much better idea than to try to make the EGG line a dominant one again, and help them by giving them some PP time. Nope. Let's give the kids Plekanec as a center for roles they're not suited for, and then turn Eller into a winger. Much, much better idea.
You say you're a fan of the crest and not the names, so why do you keep trying to put Eller down?
I do not know one single poster here that has said Eller is playing well. So what's your point?? He's not playing well?? Who the fak said otherwise??
Would you prefer if we went into the POs with our current lines? Or, would you rather we go in with possibly a 3rd line that was hot like last year???
The answer is obvious if you're a fan of the crest. So quit yapping away about how Eller has sucked. That is completely besides the point.
Briere has been productive with Plekanec and not with Eller? So? Yes, Plekanec is better than Eller. Your point? (btw, Briere only has 2 more pts than Eller, although 11 games difference but at that scoring pace it would give him 6 extra pts, however, Briere has benefited from more PP ice time and better linemates).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
At some point people need to stop bringing up last year, the season is over 75 games old and if a player isn't producing there is a big issue. The fact that Eller doesn't have the best wingers shouldn't mean he leads the team in dumb penalities, plays poorly defensively and never passes the puck. But because he's 6'2" and relatively young the HF Boards masses give him a free pass as usual. These are the same folks that would have sent Desharnais to the ECHL when he was struggling...huge huge bias.
There is no reason to stop bringing up last year (and this year's first 1/4 when the EGG line was together) when you want to show there is potential. We're not talking about 3 years ago (like Briere's POs performance that still gets brought up btw). We're talking less than a year ago and this very same season.
Nobody is saying to give Eller the best wingers, or that it excuses some of his poor performances. People are saying stick with the EGG line and give them some PP time to make them come back to life and help the TEAM. You get that right? Because it's about the team, and not one player. If all our top 3 lines were clicking, by all means, scratch him out for all I care. But our lines outside the 1st one are rather crappy. So go back to what worked. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
You obsess with painting Eller as the victim instead of holding him accountable for his horrible play. It's all about excuses. If he was playing well and feeding wingers that can't finish I'd the the 1st one pushing for a bigger role and better linemates...but it's the opposite. Guys need to be moved off his line because he hogs the puck and doesn't pass it.
I'm not painting him as a victim, he's playing like freaking crap (btw earlier during his funk, he was feeding Bourque every game but he couldn't finish, same with Moen/Prust at times. But hey, I guess you missed all those opportunities).
Who needs to be moved? Moen? Prust? Bourque? Gallagher and Galchenyuk were put there for one freaking game. Don't tell me that is enough time.
Our team is better with a working Eller than not. We're not talking about a veteran player with a bad reputation like Bourque here. We're talking about a young player who's shown potential. So let's try to make him work. If that means putting him back with the kids and giving them PP time, what the heck is so freaking bad with that???

You keep saying you care about the team. Well prove it by writing a decent post.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 02:50 PM
  #757
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 26,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
I think the general line of thought goes two ways...

Those in DD's camp believe he is the best passer on the team. With two of the best goal scorers on the team, they believe DD provides the best chance for those scorers to get goals. Most of those in this camp also generally believes he's not really #1 C on a contender quality but the best we have...well, I could be wrong here I suppose but that's the general feeling I get (albeit there are certainly those who seem to think he's #1 C capable).

Those in Eller's camp believe that he is better defensively and more importantly, as good (or good enough) or better than DD in the offensive area as well. And because he is younger and bigger, he should be used offensively more than DD. And that DD should not be on the team because he isn't good enough for the 2nd/3rd/and 4th line because of his size and a few think he shouldn't even be in the NHL (albeit the last bit could be just a very vocal minority).

There are also those complaining about how either/both Galch's and Pleks are also better offensively than DD but they seem to be drowned out by the above two scenarios.

Oh...and other than a small minority, most everyone thinks this whole mess is MT's fault.

So does the above give a good summary of the last ~10+ DD bash threads (i.e. 10,000+ posts)?
I don't think there's necessarily two camps. DD has been given a role and he's doing well. I have no issues with the guy. But I also know we are a much better team with a working Eller. Having him work now would be like having another deadline acquisition, and I think reuniting the kids (and giving them more than one freaking game), giving them some PP time, could go a long way into getting another strong line.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 02:54 PM
  #758
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
WHY DOES ELLER HAVE TO BE ON THE FIRST LINE? WHY OH GOD WHY!!!

Ahem.

The reality is, he's played like crap. If he had played great (like last year) on a third line, then why move him to the first line and break his own successful combination?

And if say the EGG line is reunited and they do really well together, even better than Pac-Des-Van, just call THEM the first line and be done with it!

It would make a lot of people here very happy apparently.

If you have to have two snipers such as Pacs and Vanek on the same line, you better have a pretty good passer along with them. Guess who?
He only played like crap after he was treated badly/unfairly. It might not be a great but it sure as hell beats playing like crap after getting rewarded with a new contract like Desharnais did.

And your basically saying Eller can't win. Whether he produces or not doesn't change anything he's either on the 3rd line because it works and he's producing or he's on the 3rd line because he's playing like crap.

So there's no internal competition, there's no rewarding players for playing well, that's a huge problem.

Sorinth is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 02:57 PM
  #759
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,151
vCash: 500
You have done a very bad job showing how ''neutral'' you are. You keep making this into a DD vs Eller debate when it really has nothing to do with.

>>>I never MADE it into anything, I responded to the posts that brought Eller in as the victim.


I didn't leave it out. It was tried ONCE, then split up. Freaking once! After not playing together for 5 months. The alternative? Put the kids with our toughest minute eating center in Plek? Well they each have 3pts and also are -3 in 10gp there. Wow. Much better idea than to try to make the EGG line a dominant one again, and help them by giving them some PP time. Nope. Let's give the kids Plekanec as a center for roles they're not suited for, and then turn Eller into a winger. Much, much better idea.
You say you're a fan of the crest and not the names, so why do you keep trying to put Eller down?

>>I'm not putting Eller down, his play is doing that. I call a spade a spade, last year he was good and a big asset, this year he's played mostly like crap. You can sugar coat it and make it about wingers, but regardless of who he is with he isn't helping the team, offensively, defensively or with dumb penality after dumb penality. I like the kid but he needs to get his head out of his ass.

I said early on when desharnais was playing poorly that he needed to step it up and he did...Eller has never snapped out.

I do not know one single poster here that has said Eller is playing well. So what's your point?? He's not playing well?? Who the fak said otherwise??
Would you prefer if we went into the POs with our current lines? Or, would you rather we go in with possibly a 3rd line that was hot like last year???
The answer is obvious if you're a fan of the crest. So quit yapping away about how Eller has sucked. That is completely besides the point.
Briere has been productive with Plekanec and not with Eller? So? Yes, Plekanec is better than Eller. Your point? (btw, Briere only has 2 more pts than Eller, although 11 games difference but at that scoring pace it would give him 6 extra pts, however, Briere has benefited from more PP ice time and better linemates).

>>>They have tried about 50 different combos, played him 2nd linem 3rd line, 4th line and press box and he hasn't "snapped out" of it. Briere has played less minutes than Eller.

The only reason I talk about Eller is he keeps being brought up as the great "victim" f the perceived "coddling" Desharnais gets.

There is no reason to stop bringing up last year (and this year's first 1/4 when the EGG line was together) when you want to show there is potential. We're not talking about 3 years ago (like Briere's POs performance that still gets brought up btw). We're talking less than a year ago and this very same season.
Nobody is saying to give Eller the best wingers, or that it excuses some of his poor performances. People are saying stick with the EGG line and give them some PP time to make them come back to life and help the TEAM. You get that right? Because it's about the team, and not one player. If all our top 3 lines were clicking, by all means, scratch him out for all I care. But our lines outside the 1st one are rather crappy. So go back to what worked. Simple.


I'm not painting him as a victim, he's playing like freaking crap (btw earlier during his funk, he was feeding Bourque every game but he couldn't finish, same with Moen/Prust at times. But hey, I guess you missed all those opportunities).
Who needs to be moved? Moen? Prust? Bourque? Gallagher and Galchenyuk were put there for one freaking game. Don't tell me that is enough time.
Our team is better with a working Eller than not. We're not talking about a veteran player with a bad reputation like Bourque here. We're talking about a young player who's shown potential. So let's try to make him work. If that means putting him back with the kids and giving them PP time, what the heck is so freaking bad with that???

You keep saying you care about the team. Well prove it by writing a decent post

>>>I do write a lot of decent posts, but too many posters on here are hung up in their agendas and reality passes them by.

Monctonscout is online now  
Old
04-04-2014, 03:05 PM
  #760
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
I think the general line of thought goes two ways...

Those in DD's camp believe he is the best passer on the team. With two of the best goal scorers on the team, they believe DD provides the best chance for those scorers to get goals. Most of those in this camp also generally believes he's not really #1 C on a contender quality but the best we have...well, I could be wrong here I suppose but that's the general feeling I get (albeit there are certainly those who seem to think he's #1 C capable).

Those in Eller's camp believe that he is better defensively and more importantly, as good (or good enough) or better than DD in the offensive area as well. And because he is younger and bigger, he should be used offensively more than DD. And that DD should not be on the team because he isn't good enough for the 2nd/3rd/and 4th line because of his size and a few think he shouldn't even be in the NHL (albeit the last bit could be just a very vocal minority).

There are also those complaining about how either/both Galch's and Pleks are also better offensively than DD but they seem to be drowned out by the above two scenarios.

Oh...and other than a small minority, most everyone thinks this whole mess is MT's fault.

So does the above give a good summary of the last ~10+ DD bash threads (i.e. 10,000+ posts)?
Pretty much, though there are also a number of people who think Eller is good offensively and don't think DD needs to go.

Also I'm not sure you can really qualify these threads as DD bashing threads. At least half the people that are "bashing" DD are complaining about his role/utilization which is a complaint with Therrien. And there are just as many people praising/defending DD as there are people bashing him/his role. Let's not forget this is #3 of the DD is a legitimate 2nd line center.

Sorinth is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 03:18 PM
  #761
Mario Lemieux fan 66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post

There is no doubt in my mind Lars would produce at the same level AND bring more to the team in other areas if he got the same linemates and role as DD. No doubt in my mind. On top of that, we'd be developing a player who is actually a part of the team's future.
If Eller can't be at least a 3rd line winger on this team there is at least 50 % chance is trade during the summer. There is no way Bergevin will pay a 4th line center with no fighting ability 2.5 + millions.

Eller future is with another team unless he is great in the playoff (good two way hockey with no stupid penalty).

I am probably alone on this but, for the same salary (3 millions) i would re-sign Gionta for 1 or 2 year and trade Eller. Gionta is a better all-around player.

Mario Lemieux fan 66 is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 03:44 PM
  #762
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 26,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
>>>I never MADE it into anything, I responded to the posts that brought Eller in as the victim.
You've defended DD since the beginning of the season, and you have criticized Eller after the EGG line was separated. You also keep completely ignoring the fact that when DD was playing like ****, he was given our two best wingers, offensive zone faceoffs and PP opportunity. As for Eller, since being separated from the EGG line, he's got none of that.
You keep harping about how Eller has sucked and only himself to blame. Great. Doesn't change the fact that when DD sucked he was given some serious help to bounce out of his funk. Eller has not once received the same type of help.
It's really not that difficult to admit. It's not a knock on DD at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
>>I'm not putting Eller down, his play is doing that. I call a spade a spade, last year he was good and a big asset, this year he's played mostly like crap. You can sugar coat it and make it about wingers, but regardless of who he is with he isn't helping the team, offensively, defensively or with dumb penality after dumb penality. I like the kid but he needs to get his head out of his ass.

I said early on when desharnais was playing poorly that he needed to step it up and he did...Eller has never snapped out.
That is PRECISELY what I said you keep doing, and why people say you are biased.
DD stepped it up after he was given the best two wingers, sheltered minutes, off. zone FOs and PP ice time. He didn't snap out of his funk while on the 4th or 3rd line, or by playing with Briere and Bourque, or Galchenyuk and Prust.
Ya, Eller is playing like crap. You don't have to repeat it 19439323 times. Everybody knows it. The discussion has more to do with how to get him out of it. And real solutions, not ''he needs to get his head out of his ass''. Nothing will change if he keeps being used the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
>>>They have tried about 50 different combos, played him 2nd linem 3rd line, 4th line and press box and he hasn't "snapped out" of it. Briere has played less minutes than Eller.

The only reason I talk about Eller is he keeps being brought up as the great "victim" f the perceived "coddling" Desharnais gets.
They have used him as a winger on the 2nd line which everybody knew was going to fail.
On the 3rd and 4th line, he gets crappy wingers that haven't produced much with anybody this year.
Briere and Eller's difference in pts via their scoring ratio is 6pts over 75gp. Hardly something to mention.

DD did get some coddling, and he did a great job responding to it. I don't understand why you can't admit that. He was playing like crap, then was put in the best position to succeed. Eller has not received the same luxury. There is absolutely nothing wrong with admitting that, and it doesn't mean Eller is free of criticism. Jesus man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
>>>I do write a lot of decent posts, but too many posters on here are hung up in their agendas and reality passes them by.
Well then maybe you should step back and look at your own posts. Maybe you get sucked into doing the same thing because it certainly look like you're hung up on your own agenda.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 04:00 PM
  #763
Jamie Thomas
Registered User
 
Jamie Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,524
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
>>>I do write a lot of decent posts
ahahahaa

Jamie Thomas is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 04:34 PM
  #764
pepperMonkey
Registered User
 
pepperMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think there's necessarily two camps. DD has been given a role and he's doing well. I have no issues with the guy. But I also know we are a much better team with a working Eller. Having him work now would be like having another deadline acquisition, and I think reuniting the kids (and giving them more than one freaking game), giving them some PP time, could go a long way into getting another strong line.
Well, no, I suppose it would be more clear to say that the most vocal in these threads, in general, fall into one of these two camps.
Personally I'm not in either.
Like you, I want Eller to do well (and same with everyone on the team), and having a strong Eller definitely makes this team significantly better. I'm also in the mind of giving the kids a go though somewhat torn as to who centers it (Galch/Eller), though would be safer this close to the playoffs to go with Eller.
And although I have no problems with how DD's doing right now, I would have liked Vanek and Patches to play on different lines (which lines can be up to debate)...but again, rather too close to the playoffs to be experimenting.

pepperMonkey is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 04:37 PM
  #765
pepperMonkey
Registered User
 
pepperMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Pretty much, though there are also a number of people who think Eller is good offensively and don't think DD needs to go.

Also I'm not sure you can really qualify these threads as DD bashing threads. At least half the people that are "bashing" DD are complaining about his role/utilization which is a complaint with Therrien. And there are just as many people praising/defending DD as there are people bashing him/his role. Let's not forget this is #3 of the DD is a legitimate 2nd line center.
Of course. Talking generalities here And in this case, the vocal minority probably takes up much of the space in these threads to make it appear as there are only two main camps.

As for this thread not really being a DD bashing threads, yes I suppose you are correct. The last three threads (including this one) have been rather neutral and overall much more positive towards DD unlike the other 7+ threads.

pepperMonkey is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 04:39 PM
  #766
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
...
So there's no internal competition, there's no rewarding players for playing well, that's a huge problem.
Agree. It has to be obvious to Galk/Plex/Eller that DD#1C is a lock and they are not going to rise in the lineup.

JLP is online now  
Old
04-04-2014, 08:20 PM
  #767
couris
Registered User
 
couris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 500
DD, unreal player

couris is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 08:35 PM
  #768
Winter Eclipse
Registered User
 
Winter Eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
There are absolutely no negations between these two arguments. The second statement is stronger than the first. The first sentence actually supports the second statement as proof.


Did I say they negated each other? No, I said they weren't the same argument. "Not being the same" doesn't automatically imply "negation"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Why should I disprove that statement?

Desharnais does benefits from playing with the team's best scorer. He's a pass first playmaking center, he rarely scores goals himself but he creates plays for his wingers so they can shoot more often. The best Habs scorers certainly benefit from playing with Desharnais however, and thats what's important.
You throw out words like "certainly" with absolutely no supporting statements. Reverse causality remains a distinct possibility, and since you've previously argued that anyone advocating RC should "go back to their CEGEP textbooks" perhaps you should try addressing RC with more than your hand-waves and condescending remarks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Its simply more efficient to play Desharnais with the best goal scorer in a pure offense role and use Plekanec and Eller in two-way roles.
My point is that Plekanec and Eller aren't being played in a two-way capacity, they've been used far more heavily as defensive players. Is it really "more efficient" to play our BEST center in a reduced role?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Cegep geography textbooks can't tell me if you've lived in NY all your life or recently moved there. If you want, you can equate ''Cegep'' to ''college''.
So given that the only information about my location you have is NYC, you reached the conclusion that I had lived in or received post-secondary education in Montreal?

Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Btw my geography is fine (to say the least) and you don't have to insult my intelligence. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything discussed here unlike the nature of your arguments. Wouldn't that be ''ad hominem''?
Spare me your moral outrage.

In spite of your self-proclaimed prodigious knowledge of geography, I'm not the one who condescendingly suggested a return to "CEGEP textbooks" as a retort to an argument I then failed to actually address with anything beyond a "cause I say so". You don't like having your intelligence questioned? Something about people who live in glass houses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
A sample size of perhaps around 200 games (in NHL and AHL) proves Desharnais and Pacioretty works. Desharnais, Cole and Pacioretty was a dominant line over a full season, thats a sufficiant sample.
It's a sufficient sample for what? That Desharnais has played near his entire career with good players? That he benefit from playing with top linemates?

Yeah, I agree.

Nothing in what you said establishes Desharnais as the independent variable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
So far Vanek has worked the best with us playing with Desharnais and Pacioretty, not so big sample size obviously, but since the playoffs are starting soon its the best we got.
"200 NHL games and a full NHL season" vs. >10 games? Yeah, "not so big"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Nice strawman. And false dilemna, too! And I didn't even need to dust off my philosophy textbooks!
Maybe you should, since it was a perfectly valid counter to the argument that an 8-2 team record is evidence against any sort of regression...

Winter Eclipse is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 08:39 PM
  #769
sendoh12
Registered User
 
sendoh12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Will any of you guys really be that unhappy if we resign Vanek and keep the first line intact? Say whatever you want about DD, but that line is money right now. Galchenyuk can play with Gallagher and Eller... well I'm sorry but Eller has not made enough of a mark to justify screwing with something that good.

sendoh12 is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 08:43 PM
  #770
Winter Eclipse
Registered User
 
Winter Eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Desharnais is a better top6 center than Eller, Eller is a better bottom 6 center than Desharnais. As a result it makes no sense whatsoever to flip them from a team perspective.

Desharnais playing Eller's role would have an horrible +/- but Eller playing Desharnais' role wouldn't have nearly as many points and Pacioretty wouldn't have as many goals (I doubt he gets 250shots playing with Eller). Eller fans would be happy but the team would have a worse record.
LMAO at counterfactuals being used as actualities

Winter Eclipse is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 08:52 PM
  #771
Riggins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
There is no doubt in my mind Lars would produce at the same level AND bring more to the team in other areas if he got the same linemates and role as DD. No doubt in my mind. On top of that, we'd be developing a player who is actually a part of the team's future.
That's fine and dandy if you have no doubt in your mind. Maybe you haven't noticed Eller's complete lack of vision and playmaking ability. There's a reason Eller doesn't get the chance to play between our top wingers. He'd waste their talents while he's puck hogging or taking offensive zone penalties. Eller is destined to be a third line center and so long as he's physical, responsible and occasionally scores I'm happy with him there.

Riggins is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 08:54 PM
  #772
Winter Eclipse
Registered User
 
Winter Eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario lemieux fan 66 View Post
if eller can't be at least a 3rd line winger on this team there is at least 50 % chance is trade during the summer. There is no way bergevin will pay a 4th line center with no fighting ability 2.5 + millions.
untitled.png

Winter Eclipse is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 08:59 PM
  #773
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count of DannyKristo View Post
That's fine and dandy if you have no doubt in your mind. Maybe you haven't noticed Eller's complete lack of vision and playmaking ability. There's a reason Eller doesn't get the chance to play between our top wingers. He'd waste their talents while he's puck hogging or taking offensive zone penalties. Eller is destined to be a third line center and so long as he's physical, responsible and occasionally scores I'm happy with him there.
This really isn't the game to criticize Lars and brag about DD.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 09:05 PM
  #774
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,857
vCash: 500
1 goal and 1 assist.

One of the best Habs line in a long long time.

Keep complaining about DD. He draws strength from this. (Really and truly he could care less about message board opinions.)

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
04-04-2014, 09:19 PM
  #775
sventington
Registered User
 
sventington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
well done Davey! Keep puttin' 'em up.

sventington is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.