HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lowe: "I'm going to get a power play guy!"

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
My son was born in 1994, the Expos were so good that year. I used to send my wife shopping and kick back with my little guy and we'd watch the game together (well he'd sleep and poop but I loved every minute of it). The strike was really tough to take, because that Expo team was probably the best one ever.

As for 1979-81, well they were in a very tough division and kept pitching to the most talented guy on the planet (Mike Schmidt. Stan fricking Bahnsen to Mike Schmidt). Anyway, the Pirates had a magic year in 1979, everything fell into place and the Expos kept missing by a game.

By 1982, Whitey Herzog had his jackrabbits running all over the National League, and the Expos young pitchers of the 70s either got dealt (Gullickson), lost effectiveness (Rogers) or had arm troubles (Schtazader, Lea). Actually, maybe Schatzeder got dealt to Detroit then came back later I can't remember.

Anyway, it was awful. The Expos' history is riddled with classic flubs or screw ups, from Ellis Valentine to letting Walker go.

As for the lefty bat, it was a massive weakness. Dawson had no patience either, so putting him at #3 meant that he'd GIDP even though he was pretty fast. Then there was Dick Williams strange second base obsession, and on it goes.

My favourite Expo? Tim Raines. Lordy what a ballplayer. As far as oldtime players go, I liked Ron Fairly (had a wonderful, smooth swing) and Rusty Staub was my hero. When he went from the Mets to the Tigers, I still cheered for him even though he played on an awful club. When he came back for a brief stay as a PH, I loved it.

Best Expo ever? Easy. Vlad.

Old
02-07-2004, 02:42 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
all i can say about this is - if delmore ends up being lowe's answer to our PP woes then he isn't asking the right question.
Precisely. Edmonton does not need Andy Delmore. He blows.

Old
02-07-2004, 02:58 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Andy Delmore, although being a guy that can really bring alot to a team if used properly, is not our solution here.

*insert Bergeron should be with the big club re-hash here* (The guy has sick talent, works harder than most, makes alot less mistakes that alot of you think, and rarely causes problems, always makes the play to get the PP to centre ice, and makes many excellent pass read, just the tip of the iceberg )

This should not be Lowe's first priority. What he needs is a center. Hardest to get, so you must pool your best assets to attain one. Address that need first unless a Stuart-type name comes across your desk.

Old
02-07-2004, 10:23 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Lowe
Do I need to trade Jason Smith for a first-round draft choice when he has four or five good years left in him? No.
This is what I find interesting. Does this mean that Smith's trade value is a first? Is Lowe guessing, or has that been the best offer? Or is that what he would expect? It just seems funny that he would mention a specific return when talking about trading someone.

Old
02-07-2004, 10:26 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Precisely. Edmonton does not need Andy Delmore. He blows.
Yep. The guy cleared waivers a month ago. Nobody wants him.

Old
02-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Matts

Well you know they had a huge coke problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
My son was born in 1994, the Expos were so good that year. I used to send my wife shopping and kick back with my little guy and we'd watch the game together (well he'd sleep and poop but I loved every minute of it). The strike was really tough to take, because that Expo team was probably the best one ever.

As for 1979-81, well they were in a very tough division and kept pitching to the most talented guy on the planet (Mike Schmidt. Stan fricking Bahnsen to Mike Schmidt). Anyway, the Pirates had a magic year in 1979, everything fell into place and the Expos kept missing by a game.

By 1982, Whitey Herzog had his jackrabbits running all over the National League, and the Expos young pitchers of the 70s either got dealt (Gullickson), lost effectiveness (Rogers) or had arm troubles (Schtazader, Lea). Actually, maybe Schatzeder got dealt to Detroit then came back later I can't remember.

Anyway, it was awful. The Expos' history is riddled with classic flubs or screw ups, from Ellis Valentine to letting Walker go.

As for the lefty bat, it was a massive weakness. Dawson had no patience either, so putting him at #3 meant that he'd GIDP even though he was pretty fast. Then there was Dick Williams strange second base obsession, and on it goes.

My favourite Expo? Tim Raines. Lordy what a ballplayer. As far as oldtime players go, I liked Ron Fairly (had a wonderful, smooth swing) and Rusty Staub was my hero. When he went from the Mets to the Tigers, I still cheered for him even though he played on an awful club. When he came back for a brief stay as a PH, I loved it.

Best Expo ever? Easy. Vlad.

Guys like Ellis, Raines, Scott and Lee were out of it a fair amount of the time. The Ellis deal was good though because he was never the same after he got beaned in the face. I'd say a case could be made that raines might have been the most valuable Expos ever but as far as most pure talent, Vladdy for sure.

'94, what heartbreak. What absolute heartbreak. Never once in those first two strike weeks did I think the season would ever be cancelled. And the cool thing was they were starting to pull away from the Braves and had a pretty light sked down the stretch. I think they would've came close to 110 wins that season.

http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/index.html

Check out that site. It's wonderful

Old
02-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
Guys like Ellis, Raines, Scott and Lee were out of it a fair amount of the time. The Ellis deal was good though because he was never the same after he got beaned in the face. I'd say a case could be made that raines might have been the most valuable Expos ever but as far as most pure talent, Vladdy for sure.

'94, what heartbreak. What absolute heartbreak. Never once in those first two strike weeks did I think the season would ever be cancelled. And the cool thing was they were starting to pull away from the Braves and had a pretty light sked down the stretch. I think they would've came close to 110 wins that season.

http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/index.html

Check out that site. It's wonderful
I don't think that even Tim Raines can help our powerplay.

Old
02-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Matts

The only thing that guy couldn't do

was play 2B

Then again Oates can't help us and he's had some pretty stellar PP numbers over the years.

Old
02-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Theres a Leafs/Oilers rumour going around, its sounds really bogus because its lop-sided in favour of T.O, but the rumour invloves Kaberle going your way

Old
02-07-2004, 04:17 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
This is what I find interesting. Does this mean that Smith's trade value is a first? Is Lowe guessing, or has that been the best offer? Or is that what he would expect? It just seems funny that he would mention a specific return when talking about trading someone.
I was wondering about that myself.

Old
02-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Oi'll say!

I think that too much is being made of the fact that MAB is in the minors as of this second, he's only 23 and it's not a big deal for him to go down to the minors on occasion as a 23 yrd old d-man in his second nhl season.

Closed Thread