HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Emelin

Old
03-26-2014, 11:20 PM
Tyson

vCash: 500
Emelin has played great hockey the past 3 weeks. He is a tough, bruising stay at home type. A chicken (as per Lucic)? because he is not a fighter? Give me a break. Lucic was challenged back in the day by BGL and chickened out. Damn I hate that team....Emelin plays honest, tough hockey.

Tyson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:30 PM
capebretoncanadien

Definitely improving as the year goes on.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:33 PM
Habbadasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Emelin has played great hockey the past 3 weeks. He is a tough, bruising stay at home type. A chicken (as per Lucic)? because he is not a fighter? Give me a break. Lucic was challenged back in the day by BGL and chickened out. Damn I hate that team....Emelin plays honest, tough hockey.
Does Lucic honestly think that calling Emelin a chicken will somehow hurt him? How mature is Lucic?

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:38 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I ragged on him pretty hard since he came back from his injury but he's definitely looking a lot better now, which is reassuring. Hopefully he can keep improving.
The thing is, just because he was back from injury doesn't mean he was playing at 100%. Ray Ferraro has stated quite a few times that Emelin will need more time to find his game and his consistency and he's been right.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 12:54 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

First 30 games: 0g 6a 6pts -13

Last 26 games: 3g 7a 10pts +12

He's back. Just need to fix up those D pairs for the playoffs.

Markov - Subban --> All situations, any opposition (except Stamkos in the Dzone) ~24 mins EV+#1PP+#2PK
Gorges - Weaver --> Only go on when Stamkos is on the ice, mostly D+Neutral zone faceoffs ~18 mins EV+#1PK
Emelin - Beaulieu --> Dominate inferior competition, O+Neutral zone faceoffs ~18 mins EV+#2PP

^^The pairings stay intact for special teams as well.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 12:59 AM
Chfan
HFB Partner

Damn, he is GOOD.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 01:24 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
First 30 games: 0g 6a 6pts -13

Last 26 games: 3g 7a 10pts +12

He's back. Just need to fix up those D pairs for the playoffs.

Markov - Subban --> All situations, any opposition (except Stamkos in the Dzone) ~24 mins EV+#1PP+#2PK
Gorges - Weaver --> Only go on when Stamkos is on the ice, mostly D+Neutral zone faceoffs ~18 mins EV+#1PK
Emelin - Beaulieu --> Dominate inferior competition, O+Neutral zone faceoffs ~18 mins EV+#2PP

^^The pairings stay intact for special teams as well.
+12 in 26 games? wow. 10 pts ain't too shabby either. I think he'll be a steal at 4 per year.

Really like those pairings too. Wish there was a bit more grit back there but I really think Gorges and Weaver could be a really good shut down pairing. Not unlike Gill and Gorges in '10.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 02:23 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Great for us that he has things back on track. I don't think he'll ever be good at processing things optimally in his own zone, but if he can hold his own, hit, and chip in with 2nd pair duties, he might indeed earn his contract. Habs were still jumping the gun to give him that with no leverage (except khl?), but he may yet grow into it.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 02:51 AM
Lemons

This guy has been everything we've wanted him to be and more. I remember we were comparing him and Valentenko. Hes turning into a wicked number three. Probably the best in the NHL.

And as weird as this is going to sound, he isn't at all afraid of milan lucic, our biggest rivals toughest player. Love how Markov is mentoring him as well.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 02:58 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Great for us that he has things back on track. I don't think he'll ever be good at processing things optimally in his own zone, but if he can hold his own, hit, and chip in with 2nd pair duties, he might indeed earn his contract. Habs were still jumping the gun to give him that with no leverage (except khl?), but he may yet grow into it.
i can agree with that. the one goal tonight (think it was the 3rd) where Markov got caught flat footed and Emelin went over to help except he probably should've played the pass.

I can't remember whether it was last year or the year before but he was a beast at breaking up 2 on 1s. Part of me thinks he could be better playing without Markov and/or back on his natural side.

Personally, I think he should've been moved up with PK in Gorges absence. I think he should still get a shot playing there at some point. Those 2 could be good together.

Old
04-05-2014, 10:22 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's become soft since his return. He's passing up on lots of chances to hit. The Panthers goal last night was a perfect example. Puck in the corner, he slows down with the forward, gets outmuscled for the puck and then boom, goal.

I hope this is just a temporary thing.
I think he's back.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Shutdown

IMO He still needs to be on the left side.

-He gravitates to the left in his own zone, which leads to those missed assignments and forced passes.
-All of his open ice hits come from him playing on the left side or cheating to that side if he's playing on the right.
-He closes the gap much better on the left side along the boards. No one wants to come down his wing when he's on the left side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=uAZJe9QRm1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=gmmxFyrrStA
all of his hits, like I said, are of him on the left or him cheating to the left to land that big hit.

Obviously the knee injury took some time to get back from, he wasn't 100% in game shape for little while this season. But we all remember the huge hits and how effective he's been in the past. He's adapting his game and he has looked much better lately, but I still think he's way more effective on the left side.

Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 11:22 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Strong recovery. I think he held back to ~80% to go easy on his knee for a couple of months after the comeback. Now he's 100%. In the playoffs of course he can give 110%

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 02:15 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Great game by Emelin tonight, He really stood out.. Made so many huge hits and lots of great plays! I think the hit on that chicken on the Goons.. I mean bruins got him going

99GoHabsGo99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 04:12 AM
TassieHab

Given how small the side is, Emelin's importance in physically pummeling the opposition is all the more important. Looks back to his best, was fantastic against the Wings, and the timing couldn't be much better.

TassieHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 05:30 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

any vids/gifs/microfiche of the hits last night?

Old
04-06-2014, 08:50 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

saw the hit on Datsuyk which was a beaut. Blocked the shot by him then plastered him in the corner. lol.

That play on Gionta's first goal was great too where he purposely shot wide and it went right to Eller.

I remember when he won D man of the year in the KHL playoffs a few years back where he put up some good points there. I was really hoping he'd find his offensive game over here. You could see flashes of it every now and then but now it's starting to really show.

Old
04-06-2014, 12:37 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
saw the hit on Datsuyk which was a beaut. Blocked the shot by him then plastered him in the corner. lol.

That play on Gionta's first goal was great too where he purposely shot wide and it went right to Eller.

I remember when he won D man of the year in the KHL playoffs a few years back where he put up some good points there. I was really hoping he'd find his offensive game over here. You could see flashes of it every now and then but now it's starting to really show.
Gif/video of the hit? I missed it

Old
04-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Hullois
Somewhere in heaven

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post

That was Tinordi

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Teufelsdreck

Emelin will rise to his own level. One who isn't doing it right now is Subban.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 01:45 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Emelin will rise to his own level. One who isn't doing it right now is Subban.
It's a long season, every player goes through high and lows. Subbans in a low, but Emelin is stepping up, that's how it works.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 01:53 PM
PsychoticHab

vCash: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
Gif/video of the hit? I missed it

PsychoticHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 02:15 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
IMO He still needs to be on the left side.

-He gravitates to the left in his own zone, which leads to those missed assignments and forced passes.
-All of his open ice hits come from him playing on the left side or cheating to that side if he's playing on the right.
-He closes the gap much better on the left side along the boards. No one wants to come down his wing when he's on the left side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=uAZJe9QRm1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=gmmxFyrrStA
all of his hits, like I said, are of him on the left or him cheating to the left to land that big hit.

Obviously the knee injury took some time to get back from, he wasn't 100% in game shape for little while this season. But we all remember the huge hits and how effective he's been in the past. He's adapting his game and he has looked much better lately, but I still think he's way more effective on the left side.

While you would like to have everyone playing their natural side, ex Emelin on LD.

Some of stuff ppl saying is just bs. Ex that Emelin hits less when playing RD. NOT true, he hits less now because under MT he doesn't like Dmen to go for hits and get out of position, which is why Subban and Emelin hits total are probaly down than in the past.

Emelin played RD for all of his first year in Mtl and he was a hitting machine, he played RD with Kaberle playing LD, he played maybe 3-4 games in the NHL at LD when paired with Daiz.

He has also said he likes to play RD and has done it is whole life, he played RD in the KHL as well.

Also, playing your offside doesn't change your positioning, a guy like Emelin who has played RD his whole life, any struggles positional isn't because of playing your offside.

The only thing that playing your offside effects, is moving the puck, you are forced to be on your back hand a lot more, passing angles are harder, and you have less time with the puck. None of those were the reason why Emelin was struggling early on.

The worse is ppl saying that Emelin should play LD, and have Gorges play RD, and while Gorges can play RD, Emelin is a much better with the puck, and moving it, its would be one of the stupiest things to do.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
While you would like to have everyone playing their natural side, ex Emelin on LD.

Some of stuff ppl saying is just bs. Ex that Emelin hits less when playing RD. NOT true, he hits less now because under MT he doesn't like Dmen to go for hits and get out of position, which is why Subban and Emelin hits total are probaly down than in the past.

Emelin played RD for all of his first year in Mtl and he was a hitting machine, he played RD with Kaberle playing LD, he played maybe 3-4 games in the NHL at LD when paired with Daiz.

He has also said he likes to play RD and has done it is whole life, he played RD in the KHL as well.

Also, playing your offside doesn't change your positioning, a guy like Emelin who has played RD his whole life, any struggles positional isn't because of playing your offside.

The only thing that playing your offside effects, is moving the puck, you are forced to be on your back hand a lot more, passing angles are harder, and you have less time with the puck. None of those were the reason why Emelin was struggling early on.

The worse is ppl saying that Emelin should play LD, and have Gorges play RD, and while Gorges can play RD, Emelin is a much better with the puck, and moving it, its would be one of the stupiest things to do.
I don't get how you can conclude Emelin on LD and Gorges on RD is the stupidest thing ever after admitting that playing your offside hurts your puck moving the most and Emelin is the better puck mover.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 02:31 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
I don't get how you can conclude Emelin on LD and Gorges on RD is the stupidest thing ever after admitting that playing your offside hurts your puck moving the most and Emelin is the better puck mover.
Since its hard to move the puck playing your offside, shouldnt you have the guy the better overally puck moving skill do the tougher job of playing their offside?

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote