HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dear Michel Therrien,

Old
04-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Habskrieg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpass View Post
P.K. averages 24:43 minutes per game.
Duncan Keith averages 24:39 per game.

Does that make Joel Quenneville a bad coach because he doesn't average Keith 30 minutes per game ?

I think all this stuff is so exaggerated for nothing. P.K. just needs to show without a doubt that he can be consistently reliable in his zone, especially according to the score and time in the game.
Agreed. I think Therrien benching PK has more to do with managing and playing who is hot and ready vs who isn't. PK was playing well for what ever reason, so he sat him for the period. Subban has been struggling lately and I'm really hoping he can go back to what we know he can play like.

The only thing I hold against Therrien is Bouillon. Though, I don't think he has too many options. At least maybe now with Beaulieu and Tinordi around, Michel may reconsider.

On the flip side, I'm really hoping Subban doesn't have some sort of grudge against the coach and the GM.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 12:48 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpass View Post
P.K. averages 24:43 minutes per game.
Duncan Keith averages 24:39 per game.

Does that make Joel Quenneville a bad coach because he doesn't average Keith 30 minutes per game ?

I think all this stuff is so exaggerated for nothing. P.K. just needs to show without a doubt that he can be consistently reliable in his zone, especially according to the score and time in the game.
PK is being rested by Therrien. That's it.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Papa_Bear_21

For all the Therrien apologists, I just have one question, what other team that has :
  • A franchise top 5 goalie (in his prime)
  • A top 10 defenseman with top 5 offensive potential (not even in his prime)
  • A top 15 number 2 defenseman
  • A top 5 goal scorer (in his prime)
  • A highly regarded two-way center that is a 6-time 20-goal scorer that can also play against the other team's top line
  • A top 3 draft pick that happens to be an offensive center with size
  • And now a multiple 40 goal scorer

and is in a worse position than the Canadiens today?

Not sure there are any. There are teams (Like Tampa) that are doing as well with less.

Papa_Bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 01:00 PM
sheed36

Just read a couple of old MT articles again. Doesn't seem like the guy changed his approach much from what got him fired from 2 previous NHL coaching jobs.

Michel Therrien Is Not the Answer for the Penguins
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...r-the-penguins

Quote:
Everything was overlooked as the Penguins surged ahead with a double digit game unbeaten streak, allowing the Penguins to finish two points behind the Devils as the best in the Division. Sid won the scoring title, and the Pens were in the playoffs for the first time in years.

Therrien was then exposed further.

While his roster was thinner, and a tired Recchi and Malkin hurt the team, he showed what little technical abilities he had. The fast, talented, and tough Ottawa Senators quickly dismantled his system. Therrien had no counter punch. The Penguins were quickly eliminated.
The bolded in that quote sounds familiar doesn't it..

From same article..
Quote:
I do feel confident that Therrien's actions of holding on to players for too long, not playing certain types of players (like Ruutu) enough, playing games with players as "punishment" (the scratching of Orpik back home in Boston, he and Whitney playing wing), never taking blame for mistakes, not having a more flexible system, and his inability to let lines gel are a detriment to the present and future of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Penguins Fans: Time to Push the Panic Button and Fire Michel Therrien
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ichel-therrien

Last edited by sheed36: 04-05-2014 at 01:10 PM.
sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 01:13 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Just read a couple of old MT articles again. Doesn't seem like the guy changed his approach much from what got him fired from 2 previous NHL coaching jobs.

Michel Therrien Is Not the Answer for the Penguins
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...r-the-penguins

The bolded in that quote sounds familiar doesn't it..

From same article..

Penguins Fans: Time to Push the Panic Button and Fire Michel Therrien
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ichel-therrien
You guys know I like Therrien, but if there's any doubts about the mid, or long-term progression of our players I want this guy fired ASAP, even if we win games this season. Hopefully he learned from his mistakes.

Old
04-05-2014, 01:17 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierPsyCHiatrist View Post
You guys know I like Therrien, but if there's any doubts about the mid, or long-term progression of our players I want this guy fired ASAP, even if we win games this season. Hopefully he learned from his mistakes.
After reading the first article in my post above I'm not sure if he has. A lot of stuff I read in that article is pretty much what we've been seeing from the Habs this season IMO.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
There is no doubt...

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 01:21 PM
thom

I agree with Lafleur that progression of players is key but many on this site would like to have a name like Mike Smith.If therrien were to win a cup this year many of you will be crying-where is my anglo coach

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 01:22 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapala View Post
There is no doubt...
Couldn't edit my post but there will always be doubts with any coaches, so the only way we can really tell about players progression is how they will play in the future, so MT will stay here and if players progressed he will still be here in the future.

Old
04-05-2014, 01:24 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Just realised I can't write properly today. Sorry about that, can't edit my posts.

Old
04-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Couldn't edit my post but there will always be doubts with any coaches, so the only way we can really tell about players progression is how they will play in the future, so MT will stay here and if players progressed he will still be here in the future.
For my part the proof is already irrefutable.
i don't base this on mine own belief strictly.
Although I'm rather new to HF I have seen the arguements posted in a myriad of different ways and on different threads. I read everthing and have determined there are some very astute posters out there.
Recognizable by their ability to back up their statements.
This particular discussion has been bandied about for quite some time.

Old
04-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Younger players should have their own natural progression curve.
Getting use to the speed of the NHL learning to become a Pro etc...
There is also the coachable part of it. How to effectively forecheck etc...
It is this coachable part that concerns many.

Take Brendan for example. He made the NHL because he's the ultimate grinder?
Not a chance. He has heart but if he continues to play the role MT lauds him for he will have a short lived career. I would dearly love to see him adding some variety to his style of play.
He has the talent to make plays and shoot the puck. Not just bang and get banged,
with a wrap-around and close net play as the only bullet in his arsenal.
To me this is a clear example of not developing...

Old
04-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
one has Pacioretty and Vanek to bail him out
the other plays with Francis ****ign Bouillon
I love the wording. Nobody really needs to be in love with Desharnais but, to make it sound like he's a helpless sap isn't really a fair assessment.

I laugh about the whole Bouillon with Subban problem. Personally, I don't like it but, am forced to admit that, until we clinched, going with youngsters alongside Subban while Gorges was injured wasn't likely the best choice.

I even heard Subban give Bouillon credit for strong play after a game not so long ago. He actually seemed happy about playing with Bouillon. For Subban, obviously, happy about playing with Bouillon, under the circumstances. I don't think Subban would be initiating positive comments about playing with Bouillon if he wasn't happy about it.

I'm certain that Subban would be happier playing with Markov at even strength but, people seem to examine this in a vacuum and highly underestimate how much a TEAM player Subban actually is. Just seeing Subban congratulate the Ds as they returned to the bench, after they had killed off several penalties in a 3rd period not so long ago, shows us some of this.

Retired NHL Ds and ex-coaches that are plastered across various sports talk shows also seem to like it that Subban is playing with Bouillon, given the current state of our D.

Obviously, the current Habs coach feels the same way.

While I don't agree, perhaps there is something I'm not realizing from an outsider's perspective. Otherwise, I'd have to claim that all the commentators agreeing with this pairing, people who should know something about hockey being played at the NHL level, are just dithering idiots.

Somehow, even if I don't like some of them, it seems unfair/incorrect to say so….

Scriptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Varlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
I agree with Lafleur that progression of players is key but many on this site would like to have a name like Mike Smith.If therrien were to win a cup this year many of you will be crying-where is my anglo coach
LOL what? That's one of the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long while. Way to hear what you want to hear. people don't care if he's french or not, they just want to be able to hire the best possible coach available. It's clearly you who cares if he's anglo though.

Varlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 670
If Therrien wins a cup it will be a sign of divine intervention.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 02:03 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
...you do remember that the consensus pick here to replace Therrien is Guy Boucher, right??...but hey, why let facts get in the way of proliferating hate and intolerance, right??...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlan View Post
LOL what? That's one of the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long while. Way to hear what you want to hear. people don't care if he's french or not, they just want to be able to hire the best possible coach available. It's clearly you who cares if he's anglo though.
Nothing more over-blown than that Anglo coach B.S.
Alou and Tressman were both Francophones
There is not one hockey affectionado that i know of particularly Habs Fan who give a damn...
We just want to win. If it takes Scotty if it takes Toe so be it.
Hockey being what it is in our Glorious City we only ask that a candidate be familiar with and respectful of our distinct natures, and yes I'm referring to all Quebeckers.
No one would bat an eye at Babcock. (hockey fan that is)

Last edited by Rapala: 04-05-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old
04-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
wouldn't be the first time habs win despite having a less than stellar coach running the team...

our last two cups came under the "leadership" of coaches that aren't/weren't even close to the top of their profession.

luck & timing play huge factors when it comes to playoff hockey. Good for MT if he manages to ride that kind of luck... all we can do is hope that MB is a saavy enough manager to see the whole picture.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
If it's just 1 or 2 you can say that, but when you have 4-5 young players all taking their game to the next level under his watch, it's moronic to say the guy can't develop or handle young players.

People are so obsessed with ******** on Therrien that they make up crap to justify their bias.
4-5 guys playing better? Who?
Gallagher and Galchenyuk came in ready and haven't improved since joining the club.

Tinordi is going through a normal progression although I would even argue he should have been used a lot more since the beginning of the season and there is no reason to scratch him in order to make Bouillon or Murray play. Likewise with Beaulieu.
Both of these guys should be regulars on our team at this point.

Eller? No. The defensive improvements he had made under Therrien also seem to have disappeared this year. He's playing like he did in his rookie year except he's a bit stronger.

PK? He was amazing last year, when there was no training camp and he was late for the season. So unless you want to attribute one week of training for Subban's amazing play, I don't see how you're going to credit Therrien for his Norris win.
Actually, many posters here predicted PK to blossom offensively with the return of Markov. This year, PK is playing worse than he ever did.

Price? We all know Therrien has nothing to do with him, and whatever system he put in place certainly isn't beneficial to Carey seeing how we are constantly outshot and outchanced.

Emelin has not improved, at all. Still makes the same positional mistakes he made last year.
Bournival is a shadow of himself when he first joined us. Let's not forget Weber and Diaz.

No, I don't see those 4-5 young players that have improved.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlan View Post
The only coach we had since this site exist that did'nt have those kind of bashing threads was Cunney.

Coachs, just like players, receive at least 50 times more crap here if they are french.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 04:29 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
The only coach we had since this site exist that did'nt have those kind of bashing threads was Cunney.

Coachs, just like players, receive at least 50 times more crap here if they are french.
...that's just a bold-face lie...bold...face...lie...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 04:34 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
wouldn't be the first time habs win despite having a less than stellar coach running the team...

our last two cups came under the "leadership" of coaches that aren't/weren't even close to the top of their profession.

luck & timing play huge factors when it comes to playoff hockey. Good for MT if he manages to ride that kind of luck... all we can do is hope that MB is a saavy enough manager to see the whole picture.
Ideally we win the Cup and Therrien gets fired anyway.

Old
04-05-2014, 04:36 PM
1UP

Quote:
Naw, just good luck.

Divine intervention happened for Jean Perron. We ran out after that.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Naw, just good luck.

Divine intervention happened for Jean Perron. We ran out after that.
I think the first home game of the playoffs they should have people dressed as the Ghostbusters and have a video of them coming from the Forum with ghosts in hand. Get to the Bell Centre and release the ghosts into the Bell Centre and then have all the greats flash on the ice (video thing), instead of just having the torch fire and the same old bit.

Change it up!

Old
04-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Varlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post

What does anything you had to say to do with my post. A little confused here.

And yeah cunney got lots of criticism, don't know if there were threads as he wasn't around long, and everyone knew he was just interim.

Varlan is offline   Reply With Quote