HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lowe, the Oilers, and Team Canada

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2004, 10:21 AM
H-Bear

vCash: 500
Lowe, the Oilers, and Team Canada

There has been great argument here about the future of the Oilers on this board. Should the Oilers sell their vets and get younger? Should the Oilers deal some youth for a playoff push? Should the Oilers do some minor tweaking? What exactly are the Oilers problems/needs? Do the Oilers need to make a deal at all?

There a lot of questions for a team tinkering on mediocrity. It seems that this team could either make a push for the playoffs, just as easily as it could make a push for a high pick.

With all these questions, will Lowe have time this weekend (All-Star weekend) to talk with other GMs about potential trades? Will his commitments to team Canada (meetings with Gretzky to determine the roster) keep him from making important decisions about the Oilers?

Am I just thinking too much because there is no hockey on for the weekend? Am I just blowing hot air, or should I be legitimately concerned?

Old
02-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Hydroponic Harold

I wonder how it will be in the room if Lowe doesnt select Brewer and Smyth to play for Canada ...which i dont feel either deserve .

I cant see how you take Smyth over Doan or Brewer over Redden .

Old
02-07-2004, 11:04 AM
gretzky2kurri

I prefer that anything Lowe does in hockey (right now) should be 100% about the Oilers.

I was scourned before the Olys for suggesting it was taking a chunk of Lowes pie. And I don't care if I'm scorned again.

No Olys......no more outdoor hockey games.

Old
02-07-2004, 11:21 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I prefer that anything Lowe does in hockey (right now) should be 100% about the Oilers.

I was scourned before the Olys for suggesting it was taking a chunk of Lowes pie. And I don't care if I'm scorned again.

No Olys......no more outdoor hockey games.
The outdoor game gave us 2 mill. Any time wasted by Lowe on that was probably made up for by getting that extra cash that might allow us to keep a guy we wouldn't be able to before (it probably helped pay for Staois' signing bonus).

As for the Olys, how long can that really take?He has to scout these players already, it's part of his job. Picking the players probably doesn't take that long. Certainly, a GM/coach has way more on his plate than Lowe, and that Sutter guy sems to be handling that well.

Old
02-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Matts

I used to think it was a good idea

that Lowe was one of the guys running the show but then the Oilers had that terrible stretch in '02 and Lowe didn't do a damn thing to try and shake them out of it. Not even as much as a callup or waiver claim. Yes he would eventually get York for Poti but the damage had been done by now.

I don't think there's any great benefit to being on that management team. You scout lots of players but you should be doing that anyway. It doesn't learn you how to negotiate contracts or make trades or manger your anger or curb your arrogance and those are all the areas Lowe needs work on

Old
02-07-2004, 01:24 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
The outdoor game gave us 2 mill. Any time wasted by Lowe on that was probably made up for by getting that extra cash that might allow us to keep a guy we wouldn't be able to before (it probably helped pay for Staois' signing bonus).

As for the Olys, how long can that really take?He has to scout these players already, it's part of his job. Picking the players probably doesn't take that long. Certainly, a GM/coach has way more on his plate than Lowe, and that Sutter guy sems to be handling that well.
Yes I know about the profit. I wasn't serious, just pissing about how it coincided with the slump. This team woulda slumped this year anyway, this I know. I wasn't really concerned with how much time Lowe needed to put into the preparations, because I already know he has a good resource of people much more experienced in that area.

I still feel being a part of team Canada interferes (in some part) with his GM duties. Of this, nobody can convince me otherwise. How much...........is debateable.

Old
02-07-2004, 02:09 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts

I don't think there's any great benefit to being on that management team. You scout lots of players but you should be doing that anyway. It doesn't learn you how to negotiate contracts or make trades or manger your anger or curb your arrogance and those are all the areas Lowe needs work on
Arrogance? Lowe isn't any more arrogant than any other GM. He's certainly not Sather, who stubbornly refuses to change his style of doing things. As far as anger goes, I think it's good he has passion. And I don't see how his anger has hurt us. It's not like he busts up every time we lose. He needs to learn how to make trades? Don't be ridiculous. He's made excellent trades, especially considering the fact that he was in a position of weakness in almost every single one of them.

Old
02-07-2004, 06:20 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
As far as anger goes, I think it's good he has passion. And I don't see how his anger has hurt us. It's not like he busts up every time we lose.
Quinn's anger doesn't seem to hurt the Leafs much, and he's *way* angrier than Lowe.

Old
02-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Matts

He has to learn

how to makes trades that address the real weaknesses on this team, ie netminding and centre. And he gave up way too early on the Comrie trade. We didn't need another defenseman like we did a centre. Yeah you might settle for Woywitka if he had a chance to be an impact player but I don't think there's a person alive who'd paint him in that light.

Arrogance and anger? Just look at the Comrie situation. He might've lacked a little perspective there in trying to take back that pound of fiscal flesh. Should he have beaten Comrie down a little? Yeah for sure. But at the end he should've realized that Comrie was gonna win in any case, ie he was gonna make his money. What Lowe had to lose and what he lost on was the competiveness of his team.

Finally, no he's not Sather or Burke but he's amazingly smug for a guy who hasn't even won three games in a playoff round.

Closed Thread