HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ward traded to Boston for PAUL MARA

Old
02-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Marty Straka is out and Jarkko Immonen and both Brad Isbister are in. The Straka shoulder injury likely won’t keep him out beyond tonight.
Quote:
First, the most pressing: as of this writing, Paul Mara has not arrived at the Garden because of airline problems in Boston, but the Rangers are still hoping to get him in the lineup tonight. The hope is that Mara would see some time on the power play, where his shot—some defenseman actually use those—would be an asset
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

Some infomacion for those who wanted it

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:44 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
You now have a training camp next season with Mara, Tyutin, Staal, Bourret, Baranka, and Roszival. That is not bad guys and the upside is there far more than it would be going in with Malik, Ward and Kasparitis.

You bet it's still going to need work,but this isn't a jump off a bridge move. Not for Aaron Ward.
Erm, Bourret is a forward, Edge.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:59 PM
shoothepuck

Never liked Ward, but don't know if Mara is the answer, should have better offensive skills, but so did Bozo, time will tell

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:03 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
The hope is that Mara would see some time on the power play, where his shot—some defenseman actually use those—would be an asset.
Nice, a little jab at the Ranger defensemen's reluctance to shoot.

NYR94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:30 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Once he arrives he should Qback the 1st PP unit. Shot from the point finally. Funny how so many fans on here look no further than the present. Next year he is in his final year and could yield a handsome return for a offensive dman to Qback the PP. Rebuilding is about looking long term, not the end of your nose.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Krejci Knows Techno
Playoffs *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
Mara is from North East New Jersey, could be a Rangers fan
he grew up in Belmont, Mass actually and was a bruins fan, might not be one anymore though

Krejci Knows Techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:34 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Hey, at least Mara is -104 for his career.

I'll say it again

-104!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pair him with Malik.

02-27-2007, 07:53 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
So it is Mara. This guys is more expensive than Ward, weaker defensively, softer, isn't a leader, and has no winning pedigree (and only 5 career playoff games). This is exactly the type of player the Rangers need late in the season as they battle for their playoff lives. Good trade.

Although he should be better on the power play than Rozsival.
don't mean to interrupt your discussion here, but thought i'd provide you with an honest assessment of mara in boston. weaker defensively than ward is fair to say, but he's not a lost cause. mara has his issues there, but his calling card is running a PP and bringing offense from the D. is mara soft? not from what i've watched all year. this guy sticks up for his teammates as much as anyone. he's had a few fights, and fared pretty well. definitely a leader on the bruins this season - very well-liked around the room. good skater, but not "fast".

his numbers are down b/c he was totally underutilized on the PP, which is a major strength of his game. chara plays most of the PP minutes, and the b's PP uses four forwards. when chara was hurt, mara put up a bunch of points in those games.

he should immediately become your PP QB, and will be a better fit in NY where his assets will be employed properly.

ps - if any of you get a chance, i'm sure the other b's fans wouldn't mind a quick recap on ward. i've seen him, but it's always good to have input from those who watch a player every night. thanks.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Hey, at least Mara is -104 for his career.

I'll say it again

-104!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, this guy was a huge draft bust, and has been passed around the NHL. He's a garbage player. Gee, great trade, Slats!!

I'm gonna be sick..
Oh please.

You show me a defenseman who plays 20+ mins a game and has played on crappy teams such as Tampa Bay, Phoenix and Boston that has a positive +/- rating.

It's kind of hard to be in the positive when you play for teams that aren't good.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:20 PM
free0717

I dont know much about Mara. I hope he is not the next Tom Poti.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
ps - if any of you get a chance, i'm sure the other b's fans wouldn't mind a quick recap on ward. i've seen him, but it's always good to have input from those who watch a player every night. thanks.
Eh...he plays a pretty simple game and is usually quiet, but does throw his weight around some in the defensive zone. He'll get a bit nasty along the boards and stuff. When he's on his game, he's solid, but doesn't bring much offense or creativity. His passes are OK.

When he's not on his game, he'll make some poor defensive zone decisions, get burnt here and there, and handle the puck like a grenade.

It could be that he just never felt really comfortable in NY and therefor had some problems being consistant, but a lot of fans feel he was a positive influence on Tyutin in the early part of the year and got him to settle down.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Ward is a shot blocking MACHINE. if for no other reason than that, hes worth his contract. he puts in a full days work in an entirely unspectacular way, and hes got leadership. to me he was way more instrumental in Fedor Tyutins play than Kaspar.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:59 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I dont know much about Mara. I hope he is not the next Tom Poti.
For the Rangers you mean. Poti's having a nice year for the Isles, and I think the Rangers do miss what he brought on the puck movement side.

The Rangers need production from the blueline more than it needed Ward's game. For no other reason the deal is a good one. If Mara looks good enough to keep around longer term, he's of a perfect age to hold the fort until a young offensive defensman can be drafted and developed - or simply developed in Sanguinetti's case.

It's not a spectacular trade, but it's an effective one.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Erm, Bourret is a forward, Edge.
Yeah meant to add Hall/Moore/Dupuis in that comment but it got lost in my efforts to post before the server went down again.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Guys this is Aaron Ward here, I don't know what the expectation was.

This wasn't trading a young forward for an offensive defenseman (Poti).

This wasn't trading for a 33 year defenseman clearly on the decline (Ozolinsh).

This was trading a 34 year old bottom 6 defenseman for a 27 year old defenseman who just 12 months ago was a 15 goal, 50 point player.

Is Mara ever going to be a rock on defense or be a shut down defenseman? No, but he's young enough and talented enough to warrant trading a 34 year old for.

If you can get a legit top end stay at home defenseman (which Ward never was and never should've been expected to be) than you've potentially got something with Mara.

If a year from now he sucks and we let him walk, the guy we traded him for is going to be a 35 year old 4-6 defenseman.

Aaron Ward is not THAT irreplaceable.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:16 PM
AXN

It all depends how Mara plays. If he plays well then he is the player who scored 15 goals with 40+ points. If he doesn't play well, he is the -23 with 3 goals player you just traded for. I hope they use him on the left side and get him going.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:17 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

This was trading a 34 year old bottom 6 defenseman for a 27 year old defenseman who just 12 months ago was a 15 goal, 50 point player.

Is Mara ever going to be a rock on defense or be a shut down defenseman? No, but he's young enough and talented enough to warrant trading a 34 year old for.

If you can get a legit top end stay at home defenseman (which Ward never was and never should've been expected to be) than you've potentially got something with Mara.

If a year from now he sucks and we let him walk, the guy we traded him for is going to be a 35 year old 4-6 defenseman.

Yeah, I'm not understanding why people would be down in this trade. I'm shocked we got this much value for Aaron Ward.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:20 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Yeah, I'm not understanding why people would be down in this trade. I'm shocked we got this much value for Aaron Ward.
so its really Boynton for Ward ouch I wanted Boynton as well as Mara. Boynton was dealt for Mara when Mara was on the Yotes.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:21 PM
SML

I think a 3 million a year defnsemen who can score 15 goals a season is, in the long run, a much more moveable asset than an almost 3 million dman who doesn't score at all.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:21 PM
dedalus

Quote:
I'm shocked we got this much value for Aaron Ward.
I'm really not. It seems a pretty fair trade. Boston's getting the defensive player, the Rangers are getting the offensive (if Mara finds his form). Boston is getting the championship pedigree and the intangibles - like Ward's work with Tyutin - the Rangers are getting the youth and the contract.

I'd say edge to the Rangers but I'm not shocked by the deal.

Old
02-27-2007, 10:23 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
I'm really not. It seems a pretty fair trade. Boston's getting the defensive player, the Rangers are getting the offensive (if Mara finds his form). Boston is getting the championship pedigree and the intangibles - like Ward's work with Tyutin - the Rangers are getting the youth and the contract.

I'd say edge to the Rangers but I'm not shocked by the deal.
But Boston's not even in a playoff spot. If a team like Ottawa or Nashville made this deal, I could see it.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Quote:

Agreed. I think the fact that Aaron Ward is a 3-time Cup winner and a character guy got to be a bit overrated. He's a decent defenseman, but hardly great. I'd make this trade any day of the week, even before it came out in the papers that he had a riff with Jagr.

I don't think the Rangers were actively shopping Ward, however, they found a solid return and pulled the trigger. Can't blame them for that.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:26 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
It all depends how Mara plays. If he plays well then he is the player who scored 15 goals with 40+ points. If he doesn't play well, he is the -23 with 3 goals player you just traded for. I hope they use him on the left side and get him going.
It comes down to this for me: Mara has a chance to be good and help this team. I'm not sure how much better Ward is going to get.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:29 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Agreed. I think the fact that Aaron Ward is a 3-time Cup winner and a character guy got to be a bit overrated. He's a decent defenseman, but hardly great. I'd make this trade any day of the week, even before it came out in the papers that he had a riff with Jagr.

I don't think the Rangers were actively shopping Ward, however, they found a solid return and pulled the trigger. Can't blame them for that.
Basically following the theme of the last ten posts, but I think a comment I made earlier on in another thread sums it up nicely:

If it was 12 months ago and you had the rights to Aaron Ward and I offered you the rights to Mara for him straight up - would you even think twice about it...?

So why would you now, 12 months later? Especially on a team that isn't going to be in the hunt in May?

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:30 PM
dedalus

Quote:
But Boston's not even in a playoff spot. If a team like Ottawa or Nashville made this deal, I could see it.
I agree with what you're saying about Boston but you mentioned value, so I was discussing it from that perspective.