HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2 more stupid trades!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2007, 06:21 PM
  #1
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
2 more stupid trades!

Where are all the fire sather & maloney, dumb scouting staffs. Did Sather & company trade them all as futire considerations in those 2 steals!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:32 PM
  #2
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,192
vCash: 500
This is exactly why I wasn't getting bent out of shape about the trade deadline.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:36 PM
  #3
Onion Boy
Registered User
 
Onion Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Japan
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
Would anyone care to decipher this post for me?

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:42 PM
  #4
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
yea what he said

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:08 PM
  #5
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599 View Post
Would anyone care to decipher this post for me?
Sather did not trade young players for old farts. In fact he's done exactly what he & maloney have been saying for a long time. They will trade, but it will to benefit the team long term. They will not take on salary. We turned a player, Duprey, who we have plenty of duplicates of on the farm and in Jrs for a quality young player, barely over 20 who plays with an edge and more importantly north/south kind of player.

Mara is 7 years younger than Ward whom we got for zero. He's bigger and will address the PP point issue. His contract is not a killer. He enters his contract year next year and based off of the prices this year could fetch a #1 should we decide to deal him next year at the trade deadline. The positive is maybe no more Rozsival on the point.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:26 PM
  #6
HVPOLARBEARS19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY
Country: Israel
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
This is the first time I've been legitimately happy with our trades. What awesome moves. Mara for Ward...wow talk about a steal. And Bourett, Atlanta's best prospect for Pascal Dupuis???
Damn if only we could've dumped a few more pieces of our dead wood, but this is a terrific start.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:34 PM
  #7
Onion Boy
Registered User
 
Onion Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Japan
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Sather did not trade young players for old farts. In fact he's done exactly what he & maloney have been saying for a long time. They will trade, but it will to benefit the team long term. They will not take on salary. We turned a player, Duprey, who we have plenty of duplicates of on the farm and in Jrs for a quality young player, barely over 20 who plays with an edge and more importantly north/south kind of player.

Mara is 7 years younger than Ward whom we got for zero. He's bigger and will address the PP point issue. His contract is not a killer. He enters his contract year next year and based off of the prices this year could fetch a #1 should we decide to deal him next year at the trade deadline. The positive is maybe no more Rozsival on the point.
Gotcha. Good analysis. I agree with everything you said although I'm not sure Mara will replace Roszival on the PP.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:37 PM
  #8
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,811
vCash: 500
In all fairness, I was pretty calm until Renney started saying that we need help to pick up the slack for Shanny and Straka. Then I thought, "my god, they ARE going to make a run this year." Our staff isn't on the same page, heck they aren't even reading the same book.

Plus we gots history at the deadline.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:44 PM
  #9
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,032
vCash: 500
Rangers did well this trade deadline if for no other reason that they didnt take part of the buying madness. id rather have the team stand more or less pat then to engage these insane prices.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:47 PM
  #10
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
In all fairness, I was pretty calm until Renney started saying that we need help to pick up the slack for Shanny and Straka. Then I thought, "my god, they ARE going to make a run this year." Our staff isn't on the same page, heck they aren't even reading the same book.

Plus we gots history at the deadline.
You are thinking pre stocked cupboard. When the cupboard was bare and it was bare, you had no choice. You try and trade and sign UFAs to get you to thepoint where you are competitive. Alot of the signings were poor, they created more problems than they were suppose to solve.

But since the great purge and the last few drafts we now are starting to gather up some solid players. Think of it we tradeed Ward and Dupris for actual value! Now let's take it one step further into next year. Let's say we pick up Nylander's opition, he's then in his walk yar and look at what people got for players in their walk years! Same with Rozsival and Betts and maybe even Cullen. we hold'em for another year, they are closer to the end of their contracts and maybe their contracts are even considered to be more manageable cap wise. In 2 two years time many of the kids we have drafted will be ready.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:53 PM
  #11
WheresBarnaby
Registered User
 
WheresBarnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Sather did not trade young players for old farts. In fact he's done exactly what he & maloney have been saying for a long time. They will trade, but it will to benefit the team long term. They will not take on salary. We turned a player, Duprey, who we have plenty of duplicates of on the farm and in Jrs for a quality young player, barely over 20 who plays with an edge and more importantly north/south kind of player.

Mara is 7 years younger than Ward whom we got for zero. He's bigger and will address the PP point issue. His contract is not a killer. He enters his contract year next year and based off of the prices this year could fetch a #1 should we decide to deal him next year at the trade deadline. The positive is maybe no more Rozsival on the point.
Mara is also -21 this season. Interesting that no ones discussing this. The dupuis move may very well turn out to be a steal, but I don't see why we trade a stay at home defenseman gets traded, for some one who's more offensive. Especially, when defensive responsiblity is one of this teams biggest issues. But that's just me. I can understand the age thing somewhat, but Aaron's younger than both Jagr and Shanny.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:06 PM
  #12
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,326
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Mara is also -21 this season. Interesting that no ones discussing this. The dupuis move may very well turn out to be a steal, but I don't see why we trade a stay at home defenseman gets traded, for some one who's more offensive. Especially, when defensive responsiblity is one of this teams biggest issues. But that's just me. I can understand the age thing somewhat, but Aaron's younger than both Jagr and Shanny.
And Malik is +21. How telling is that?

Just pair them together and they'll both be even.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:55 PM
  #13
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
And Malik is +21. How telling is that?

Just pair them together and they'll both be even.
Quote of the night.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:26 PM
  #14
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,716
vCash: 500
Barry Melrose just said on ESPN, that the rangers were the biggest losers of the trade deadline. Ahhhhhhhahahahah. Shows what he knows.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:27 PM
  #15
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
What? Why? Elaborate, please.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:33 PM
  #16
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
You are thinking pre stocked cupboard. When the cupboard was bare and it was bare, you had no choice. You try and trade and sign UFAs to get you to thepoint where you are competitive. Alot of the signings were poor, they created more problems than they were suppose to solve.

But since the great purge and the last few drafts we now are starting to gather up some solid players. Think of it we tradeed Ward and Dupris for actual value! Now let's take it one step further into next year. Let's say we pick up Nylander's opition, he's then in his walk yar and look at what people got for players in their walk years! Same with Rozsival and Betts and maybe even Cullen. we hold'em for another year, they are closer to the end of their contracts and maybe their contracts are even considered to be more manageable cap wise. In 2 two years time many of the kids we have drafted will be ready.
Nylander has an option? are you sure about that?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:34 PM
  #17
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Barry Melrose just said on ESPN, that the rangers were the biggest losers of the trade deadline. Ahhhhhhhahahahah. Shows what he knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
What? Why? Elaborate, please.
it depends on your perspective. since i havent heard the quote i wont really talk about it, but from the perspective of..its an insane sellers market and the rangers clearly arent making the playoffs, selling off pieces might have been a great opportunity to accelerate the rebuild 2 or 3 years in one fell swoop. from that perspective, i agree with him.

however im happy w/ the return we got AND im happy we didnt actually buy any players. so it all depends on how you look at it.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:35 PM
  #18
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Why?
Because it's Melrose and he's talking about the Rangers.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:36 PM
  #19
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
From what I had understood it was a player option, not a team option on that contract. That's why there has been so much talk about the team re-entering into negotiations with Nylander - to lock him up again.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:58 PM
  #20
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
What? Why? Elaborate, please.
Because we didn't trade for a) Tkachuk b) Forsberg c) Guerin d) Roberts or e) any other "battle-tested veteran that knows how to win come playoff time"...

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:11 PM
  #21
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Because we didn't trade for a) Tkachuk b) Forsberg c) Guerin d) Roberts or e) any other "battle-tested veteran that knows how to win come playoff time"...
That's what he said?

That's all I'm looking for here. Just what he said...

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:17 PM
  #22
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,192
vCash: 500
I'm sure Barry is well aware that the Rangers were indeed actually willing to part with Jagr for the right package but there was nothing that materialized.

I used to like Melrose but for the past two years or so he's changed.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:21 PM
  #23
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
That's what he said?

That's all I'm looking for here. Just what he said...
I didn't see it, but judging by typical rants from Melrose in the past, I'd go on record saying that was the gist of what he said. The winner in any trade to Melrose is the team that wins the deal short term. A team could give up a future Crosby for an aging Messier and claim they won the deal and call the team that traded the aging Messier type a loser. I am amazed some people find the guy credible.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:22 PM
  #24
Onion Boy
Registered User
 
Onion Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Japan
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Barry Melrose just said on ESPN, that the rangers were the biggest losers of the trade deadline. Ahhhhhhhahahahah. Shows what he knows.
Melrose still exists?

I've been boycotting ESPN since the lockout.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:22 PM
  #25
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 9,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I'm sure Barry is well aware that the Rangers were indeed actually willing to part with Jagr for the right package but there was nothing that materialized.

I used to like Melrose but for the past two years or so he's changed.
He's become the Stephen A. Smith of hockey. Goes for shock value and basically reinforces what the uneducated fan believes based on ESPN highlights. (Oh yeah, and even when he was good he seemed to have an anti-Ranger bias.)

The Rangers should have gone for Guerin, et. al.? What?!?!?

It's a shame to see him fall like that, because I used to enjoy his commentary (like 6-8 years ago).

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.