HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers deadline vs Isles deadline

Old
02-27-2007, 09:35 PM
jillbaboo99

vCash: 500
Rangers deadline vs Isles deadline

In my opinion our moves are much better than the isles deals.
First off we get rid of that red faced defenceman and get 7 years younger and then a great prospect for a marginal player. Hockeys future has Bourret ranked as our second best prospect behind Staal based on their ratings. A player who can score and hit, explain to me how Atlanta gives up on a first round pick they made less than 2 years ago?
The isles on the other hand made moves that will set them back. Zednick for a second is way too steep and then their 2 better prospects and first for a rental. To top things off they got nothing for Blake who will walk this summer. These are moves that contenders should make not bubble teams.

I pray they don't make the playoffs and Blake and Smyth walk.

jillbaboo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:37 PM
broadwayblue

If they win the cup it would be a small price to pay. If they don't come close it would be a colossal mistake.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbaboo99 View Post
In my opinion our moves are much better than the isles deals.
First off we get rid of that red faced defenceman and get 7 years younger and then a great prospect for a marginal player. Hockeys future has Bourret ranked as our second best prospect behind Staal based on their ratings. A player who can score and hit, explain to me how Atlanta gives up on a first round pick they made less than 2 years ago?
The isles on the other hand made moves that will set them back. Zednick for a second is way too steep and then their 2 better prospects and first for a rental. To top things off they got nothing for Blake who will walk this summer. These are moves that contenders should make not bubble teams.

I pray they don't make the playoffs and Blake and Smyth walk.
im a die hard ranger fan, but you gotta take the rose colored glasses off my friend, they added Zednick, Bergeron, and Smyth. to me they are a legitimate cup contender.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:42 PM
jillbaboo99

I understand that but they are still an 8 seed right now and if they don't make the playoffs then this will be another of a long list of horrible trades they made in the last 10 years.

jillbaboo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbaboo99 View Post
I understand that but they are still an 8 seed right now and if they don't make the playoffs then this will be another of a long list of horrible trades they made in the last 10 years.
Ryan Smyth is a legitimate superstar, they didnt give up much when you consider the quality of the prospects and the probably rank of the first they gave up. as annoying as it is to me, i could see them making a good push. theyve got some great talent and probably the best coach in the game.

Old
02-27-2007, 09:50 PM
UAGoalieGuy

I can def. see the Islanders making it to at least the conference finals with that team they have, but if they lose and Zednik, Smyth, and Blake walk that team might have some problems for what they gave up (1st, 2nd, and 2 former first round picks). Def. a risky move but sometimes those are the moves teams have to make to win it all..

The Rangers moves were more moves geared towards next season and beyond getting a much younger and offensively talents Mara and a potential 1st line RW'er in Bourret (Who has 32 pts in 45 games in his first season in the AHL as a 20 year old). The Rangers did REAL well, but the Islanders trades will affect there team significantly this season, where the Rangers might not see the affects until next year at the earliest.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:53 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
im a die hard ranger fan, but you gotta take the rose colored glasses off my friend, they added Zednick, Bergeron, and Smyth. to me they are a legitimate cup contender.
Inferno, they're going to face either Jersey or Buffalo in the 1st round. They'll hit the golf course a week after we do. They gave up for too much IMO for a gamble of this nature. I love Ryan Smyth as a player, but, he won't push them past either Jersey or Buffalo.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:55 PM
FLYLine24*

Another note that I heard on the Rangers post game, Isles and Ducks made a deal to send Blake to the Ducks for a 1st round pick but it was rejected by the NHL because they sent the deal in too late and the deadline had passed.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
you dont go from 9th place to cup contender for moves like that.

Are they upgrades for now? yes. Contenders? not even close.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Inferno, they're going to face either Jersey or Buffalo in the 1st round. They'll hit the golf course a week after we do. They gave up for too much IMO for a gamble of this nature. I love Ryan Smyth as a player, but, he won't push them past either Jersey or Buffalo.
well, according to my projections before they made the deal they were going to finish 7th, i could see them finishing even higher. i think people under-rate that team because of the circus offseason, poti, and the fact that they are the islanders. but their coach has them playing really well. im going to go out on a limb and say they finish 4th in the conference. laugh all you want, im sure ill catch some heat, but their team looks damn good to me right now.

Old
02-27-2007, 10:03 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
well, according to my projections before they made the deal they were going to finish 7th, i could see them finishing even higher. i think people under-rate that team because of the circus offseason, poti, and the fact that they are the islanders. but their coach has them playing really well. im going to go out on a limb and say they finish 4th in the conference. laugh all you want, im sure ill catch some heat, but their team looks damn good to me right now.
They are too sloppy defensively, and Dippy has long way to go before I'd count on him in the playoffs. I just don't see it.

Old
02-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
They are too sloppy defensively, and Dippy has long way to go before I'd count on him in the playoffs. I just don't see it.
perhaps. i dunno, theres a lot to like about their team, and to me it all comes down to their coaching. Nolan is one of the best coaches in the league, hes the difference maker to me.

Old
02-27-2007, 10:06 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
i want nolan for our team, make renney assistant or scout and let nolan run the business... ah what a wishfull thinking

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:07 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
perhaps. i dunno, theres a lot to like about their team, and to me it all comes down to their coaching. Nolan is one of the best coaches in the league, hes the difference maker to me.
As opposed to facing Lindy Ruff, who took what Nolan had, and went even farther.

Old
02-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
As opposed to facing Lindy Ruff, who took what Nolan had, and went even farther.
the Sabres are decimated w/ injuries, i guess it depends on when some of their guys come back.

Old
02-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I agree with jas. The Isles added more scoring depth on the wing, but they are weak on D (a d-man like Zhitnik would help a lot right now) and at center. DiPietro is a wild card at best in the postseason. Even if everything goes well for them, I don't see them beating Buffalo or NJ in the playoffs, so they need to grab the #6 seed or they're out in the first round.

The Isles sold a chunk of their future for mediocrity... again.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
I agree with jas. The Isles added more scoring depth on the wing, but they are weak on D (a d-man like Zhitnik would help a lot right now) and at center. DiPietro is a wild card at best in the postseason. Even if everything goes well for them, I don't see them beating Buffalo or NJ in the playoffs, so they need to grab the #6 seed or they're out in the first round.

The Isles sold a chunk of their future for mediocrity... again.
Sold a chunk of the future? Unsure about that one, I love Nilsson's upside, but then again he was drafted almost 4 years ago, and still hasn't really made it to the show.

O'marra i don't really care for who will be a 3rd line center. The 1st round picks are hit or miss.

Lastly, Bourret has a lot of growing up to do, and has serious conditioning work to do if he is to even contemplate making it to the show. Mara I like him, but the Boston fans couldn't have gotten rid of him soon enough.

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:37 PM
nickrOck

Quote:
fringe cup contender.. lets not get carried away.. they have unproven goaltender come crunch time.. if they see the 2nd round call it a success.. in all honesty i don't see smyth resigning with them, he'll end up back in edmonton..

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:53 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Another note that I heard on the Rangers post game, Isles and Ducks made a deal to send Blake to the Ducks for a 1st round pick but it was rejected by the NHL because they sent the deal in too late and the deadline had passed.
damnit.. Blake had a hat-trick tonight too..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 11:09 PM
DutchShamrock

Honestly, the Isles kicked our butts at the deadline as far as the present goes. We won as far as the future goes. But this is apples and oranges. Since we're running different races it is pointless to compare. There's about 20 games to go... just because NYI is in 8th now doesn't mean they'll be there at the end. They might finish lower but they should finish higher and with these upgrades they should move up to 5 or 6. Edmonton made the playoffs last year on the very last day of the season, and even then not too many people had them slated to make the finals. It's about being hot at the right time, injuries can wreak havok on the predictions (right Buffalo?), and there's still 20 games to go... 1/4 of the season. Alot of people said that Edmonton paid way too much in giving a 1st rounder for Rolosson...

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 11:36 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Rangers played it safe...Isles took a gamble

The Dupuis for Borret is a dynamite future oriented trade. A top prospect for (Adam Hall) an underperfoming 3rd liner who really didnt seem to fit in here

Ward Mara trade has it's up and down side. We do need a more O oriented D man like Mara (but have you seen his career +/- )
He is younger as well

The Isles getting MAB is a good deal, but the Smyth deal might end up being the BEST trade of the deadline or the Worst. A total gamble.

Ryan has played all the years in Edmonton for a CITY THAT WORSHIPS hockey. The Best Ice in the league and an arena that is always full.

Playing in LI might be a challenging adjustment. Considering he's a UFA this summer and pretty much EVERY team in the NHL would welcome a Ryan Smyth to the roster he'll have many offers come his way.

The Islander should consider themselves lucky if he doesn't sign with another team from their division.

If the Islander catch fire in the playoffs, which is possible, Ryan Smyth is a guy who could lead them deep. I personally think thats a long shot but if your in the playoffs anything can happen.

We will just have to wait and see.

If they end up giving three 1st rounders for a rental and dont go far they are Hurting....

02-27-2007, 11:58 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
For where we are respectively, we both made good moves.
Sather dumped Ward and got a better, younger Mara back, and got rid of Dupuis for a guy with a ton of potential (ATL's best prospect). We got younger, and arguably better, though didn't do anything huge. The Islanders got older and much better, however, with Smyth being a UFA, it could be a huge risk. If they flop out and Smyth signs elsewhere right away that's a HUGE mistake. Couple that with any sort of production by Nilsson or O'Marra in EDM, or a good player taken with the NYI pick and you've got Garth's head on a pole.
The Islanders took the high risk/high reward strategy while we took the low risk but decent reward strategy. Both teams did well, and as we've all seen in the past, being an agressive buyer at the deadline is not always good. A lot depends on the Islanders playoff run, and what happens with Smyth this upcoming offseason.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Edge

I don't think you can compare the two, made with two different mindsets.

The Islanders took picks that had become assets and used them to make moves to possibly take a stab at something more. As far as I'm concerned even the "best" teams are beatable, despite what their records might say.

I can easily see the Islanders being an Eastern Conference version of the Oilers from last year.

The Rangers took older players and turned them into potential longer term assets.

If Mara becomes that 15 goal, 50 point player he was before (or maybe even more if the team builds right) and Bourret becomes a key part of a very solid second or third line someday, than it'll look good for them too.

But right now these are two different teams with two different plans. I just don't think you can compare them. For what they both needed to do, I think they did a pretty good job.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:31 AM
Janerixon

I'm with edge, there really is no comparing. i like what the isles did, they have alot of scoring in smyth, blake, satan, yashin, hunter, zednik, etc, however i still feel their blueline is a bit weak and that was shown with the flyers scoring 5 goals

however they are sending a message to their fans, we are in it to win it, and they think they can not only get into the playoffs but make some damage, you cannot fault them for making a statement. it just seems to me they will try and win games the way the oiler and penguin style dynasties did, im not sure how that will work against the devils

as for the rangers, the asking prices msut have been to high even for stumpel, so they just dumped ward, who started out great, but whos been awful as of late (i still believe his poor play is due to his playing hurt), and they turned hall/dupuis into a possible top 6 forward, i am fine with that

even if straka and shanny get healthy and mara adds some offense and plays better defensively than ward, i don't think this team could go all that deep in the playoffs if they made it, and with the cost of rentals i guess sather is willing to accept that

my only disappointment with today is that we should have gone after boyes, he is young and he would fit very nicely between avery and shanahan, i would have been willing to deal ward and rachunek with a 3rd round pick or ward and pock plus a 3rd round pick for the mara/boyes combo

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:42 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Could this really mean the Isles are going to prioritize Smyth over Blake this summer? Say what you want about Robert Nilsson being a bust thus far, but dealing Ryan O'Marra and a 1st Round Pick for a soon to be UFA was a bit much(even though teams were tossing 1st rounders and prospects around like they had no value). I think at this point this forces the Isles to sign Smyth to a long-term contract, while Blake might be able to go sniffing around elsewhere. Does this move guarantee them a playoff spot? I don't think so but it certainly doesn't hurt them either.

I can't really complain about the Ranger moves at the deadline. They stood pat with the majority of their prospects. I liked Aaron Ward a lot, and I have to admire a guy that would stand up and say something to Jagr. I just hope that this doesn't turn Shanny off about coming back here next year. He was very close with Ward from his days in Detroit. I couldn't believe that Waddell went with Dupuis for Bourret, but from what I remember is everyone was questioning his conditioning in his draft year. Now the ATL fans are still saying that he isn't in shape. Hopefully this all changes down in Hartford.

If there is one guy I'd love to see in Ranger blue it's Ryan Smyth. The ultimate slap in the face is if Slats comes out this summer and gives his former 1st Round Pick a contract and Jason Blake feels compelled enough to go west.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote