HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dupuis and a 3rd to Atlanta for Alex Bourret

Old
02-27-2007, 06:39 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
I am just stunned.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:42 PM
xander

for some unexpalinable reason, I am comforted knowing that we've maintained a consistent amount of Francophones in the system throughout the last month's trades (cliche->dupuis->bourret.)

again, no idea why this thought occured to me.

also, I find it somewhat interesting that Bourret was actually selected with the Ranger's origional pick in the 2005 draft.

ok, I think I win the award for longest post without giving any relevant information or analysis

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:50 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I fell off my chair when I heard Pierre McGuire say Alex Bourret!

Waddell is going to be crucified in Atlanta for the job he's doing. Thankfully for him post-CBA free agency bails him out a little.

Man, I couldn't be happier with this deal.

I still think the Mara trade stinks, but I can at least live with the fact that we didn't give up any picks or prospects at this deadline. That's the second year in a row, and in my mind this management group has now earned a little bit of my trust back.

Not only does Bourret come in, but Dupuis departure leaves a slot on that third line for someone from Hartford to fill until Shanny gets back. Maybe we'll have the opportunity to see Callahan or Dawes given some legitimate minutes.

Bourret was the guy I was hoping the Rangers were going to draft the year they traded up to get Staal. Nice to have both, now.
E, as I posted on our prospects thread, Waddel is on the hot seat in Atlanta trying to save his job. He's making all these moves to bring a division crown and a playoff spot.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Pizza

I've not searched through all these highlights, but Alex Bourrett must be in here somewhere:

http://www.chicagowolves.com/multimedia/highlights/

I am just so psyched we got this guy.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:40 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I thought we were the ones getting the 3rd

Doesn't matter though...I still am in shock about this deal. Bourret is going to be great for the future, will help Hartford this year and maybe make the big club next season and he's only 20.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:40 PM
GetPucksDeep

Chicago Wolves fans are happy to see Bourret go and get Krog back. fwiw.

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:46 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post
Doesn't matter to me. There is a chance that Bourret can help this team in the future. I can't say that about Krog. And I didn't see Dupuis coming back next season either.

For where this team is, I'll take my chance with the former first rounder who's not even 21 yet. And who was rated by this site as the Thrashers top prospect. Especially since I think most Ranger fans would have been happy with a 3rd round pick.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 02-27-2007 at 07:58 PM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:46 PM
bmoak

Of course Wolves' fans would be happier about Krog, as he's an AHL stud.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:49 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Yup, I'd just love having a 31-year-old never-was, instead of a 21-year-old with years of growth in front of him. That's a preety smart group, there.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

I had to leave for work at 2:30, and I heard on TSN that the Rangers dealt Dupuis to Atlanta for a prospect, but thought nothing of it. Figured it'd be a B-level prospect at best. I couldn't believe my eyes just now when I got home and saw it was for Alex Bourret!

To be honest I have not followed his progress since he's been drafted, but he was one player I was VERY high on prior to the 2005 draft. If we had stayed at 16th overall and not traded up with Atlanta, he's a guy I think we would have drafted. It's kind of ironic that we end up with him only two years later.

I understand Waddell being desperate about making the playoffs, but I don't see how the addition of Dupuis is going to help them a great deal. I think gutting the farm for Zhitnik and Tkachuk was enough. They gave up a top prospect in Braydon Coburn for Zhitnik and a ton of high draft picks for Tkachuck...was it really necessary to give up another top prospect for Dupuis and a pick?

Atlanta's farm went from being very strong to very bare. If they win the Cup, that's great, but right now they look foolish.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:49 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post

I had to leave for work at 2:30, and I heard on TSN that the Rangers dealt Dupuis to Atlanta for a prospect, but thought nothing of it. Figured it'd be a B-level prospect at best. I couldn't believe my eyes just now when I got home and saw it was for Alex Bourret!

To be honest I have not followed his progress since he's been drafted, but he was one player I was VERY high on prior to the 2005 draft. If we had stayed at 16th overall and not traded up with Atlanta, he's a guy I think we would have drafted. It's kind of ironic that we end up with him only two years later.

I understand Waddell being desperate about making the playoffs, but I don't see how the addition of Dupuis is going to help them a great deal. I think gutting the farm for Zhitnik and Tkachuk was enough. They gave up a top prospect in Braydon Coburn for Zhitnik and a ton of high draft picks for Tkachuck...was it really necessary to give up another top prospect for Dupuis and a pick?

Atlanta's farm went from being very strong to very bare. If they win the Cup, that's great, but right now they look foolish.
I had to leave for school around the same time and didn't know of all the final trade of the day but holy SHHHHHHHH""""""""""TTTTTTTTTTT lol. Bourret for Dupius and a 3rd??? wow thats insane. What an amazing deal! I didn't think the team would get that kind of return for him. Atlanta LOVES overpaying and I love it.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:58 PM
broadwayblue

Funny thing is the ticker at the bottom of MSG kept saying Dupuis for Bourret and a 3rd. Not sure if anyone really knows where the 3rd rounder is going. Seems like we still get the better end if we're shipping it out with Dupuis.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:59 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Ha I was just thinking about this. Satherony is a genious. He turned Dominic Moore into Alex Bourret...WOWWWWWWW

Old
02-27-2007, 09:11 PM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post

With all due respect - because I don't want to troll or be considered a troll. But Atlanta's cupboard is hardly bare. They traded down twice in that draft accumulating two extra picks before taking Bourret. Those two picks were turned into Pavelec and Denny, both of whom have passed Bourret as prospects. Bourret was regularly benched at the AHL level. Coburn may turn out great, but they are deep in D prospects with Lewis, Valabik, Denny, Zubarev and Enstrom (the latter two are both projected to cross the pond next year.) I'll agree that the Thrashers are not deep at forward prospects, but that's no reason to hang on to a kid with weight and work-ethic issues who can't stay in an AHL line-up. His stock had fallen sharply this year and Atlanta was cutting their losses. If the Rangers can turn him around, good for them and him.

Old
02-27-2007, 09:18 PM
broadwayblue

not sure if this was posted, but HF did a feature on Bourret back in December. Basically said after a slow start he was coming around nicely.

With his adjustment period largely out of the way, and knowing now what he needs to do, the outlook for Bourret is a good one. He will just need to keep his play consistently high.

“This year I just want more maturity for next year and have a good camp next year in Atlanta,” he said. “Make some plays and next year is going to be a big year.”

http://hockeysfuture.com/articles/9324

Old
02-27-2007, 09:20 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
With all due respect - because I don't want to troll or be considered a troll. But Atlanta's cupboard is hardly bare. They traded down twice in that draft accumulating two extra picks before taking Bourret. Those two picks were turned into Pavelec and Denny, both of whom have passed Bourret as prospects. Bourret was regularly benched at the AHL level. Coburn may turn out great, but they are deep in D prospects with Lewis, Valabik, Denny, Zubarev and Enstrom (the latter two are both projected to cross the pond next year.) I'll agree that the Thrashers are not deep at forward prospects, but that's no reason to hang on to a kid with weight and work-ethic issues who can't stay in an AHL line-up. His stock had fallen sharply this year and Atlanta was cutting their losses. If the Rangers can turn him around, good for them and him.
Well, I don't know the depth players in your system very well, so I'll accept that aspect of your response at face value.

However, given the Rangers history with bad-attitude and work-ethic challenged players (e.g. Pavel Brendl, Jamie Lundmark) and their recent definitive moves to change that history (e.g. dumping the very talented R.J. Umberger because he was a cancer), I have my doubts that Bourret is a character issue guy. Based on what I've read, he came to the A very young, speaking very little English and most likely a few pounds heavy. He was benched, learned his lesson and was recently playing at close to a PPG, no?

I can only go off of what I read, but given that description, my faith in the Ranger brass to know what they're doing when it comes to character issues, and what the scouts thought of him coming out of junior, I'll take him and RUN.

We gave up Pascal Dupuis, for crying out loud!

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:21 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
With all due respect - because I don't want to troll or be considered a troll. I'll agree that the Thrashers are not deep at forward prospects, but that's no reason to hang on to a kid with weight and work-ethic issues who can't stay in an AHL line-up. His stock had fallen sharply this year and Atlanta was cutting their losses. If the Rangers can turn him around, good for them and him.
With all due respect...what kind of a team cuts their losses on a first round pick after less than 2 years?

Old
02-27-2007, 09:25 PM
xander

Quote:
doesn't it seem alittle silly to 'cut your losses' on a 20 year old? I understand that there are concerns with his conditioning, but the guys still scored pretty respectable for a 20 year old in his first year of pro hockey. He's still so young, and it's not like he's fallen on his face production wise.

Maturity can come to players, I'm not saying it's going to in this case, but to give up on the chance that it will when he's only 20 years old? and for Dupuis?

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:34 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Bourret has 32 pts (11g 21a) in 45 games as a 20 year old in the AHL. Thats pretty good if you as me.

Old
02-27-2007, 09:37 PM
GetPucksDeep

On the Bourret side of the coin, the fact that the AHL fans didn't think he was going to help them win the Calder doesn't mean he's lost his upside. I think he's just been downgraded from a top 2 line prospect to a 3rd line prospect.

I'll take a guess at what the Thrashers see in Dupuis -a 50 point guy before the lockout, whose offense was stifled in Lemaire's system and nagged by some injuries the last year and a half. Waddell has a knack for finding offensive talent that's 'misunderstood', and giving them enough confidence (Hartley can speak to him in french) to reach their potential. Example, Marc Savard who he picked up for nothing. Dupuis' speed will help on the PK, and they get back one of the picks they spent on Tkachuk. Atlanta's decided to go all in this year, and they think Dupuis could be another small piece. I know Dupuis looked pretty good when the Thrashers played the Wild this year. Maybe that's what sold them.

We'll see. It might not work. I don't have answers.

Old
02-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
On the Bourret side of the coin, the fact that the AHL fans didn't think he was going to help them win the Calder doesn't mean he's lost his upside. I think he's just been downgraded from a top 2 line prospect to a 3rd line prospect.

I'll take a guess at what the Thrashers see in Dupuis -a 50 point guy before the lockout, whose offense was stifled in Lemaire's system and nagged by some injuries the last year and a half. Waddell has a knack for finding offensive talent that's 'misunderstood', and giving them enough confidence (Hartley can speak to him in french) to reach their potential. Example, Marc Savard who he picked up for nothing. Dupuis' speed will help on the PK, and they get back one of the picks they spent on Tkachuk. Atlanta's decided to go all in this year, and they think Dupuis could be another small piece. I know Dupuis looked pretty good when the Thrashers played the Wild this year. Maybe that's what sold them.

We'll see. It might not work. I don't have answers.
I was entirely underwhelmed by Dupuis and his speed didnt seem as fast as some people make it out to be. hes a smaller ortmeyer in the speed department if you ask me. theres just nothing about his game that impressed me at all. Adam hall was the better player in the deal, and Bourret is the best out of the 3. i can see bourret being a fixture in this lineup for years to come. in my opinion, its a rip off.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:10 PM
AXN

Bourret replaces Cliche.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:15 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
Bourret replaces Cliche.
Since the Blueshirts also tossed in 3rd, I hope he surpasses Cliche.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:32 PM
NYRfan68

I am really curious how the phone-call began and who initiated it...
Waddell: Hey Glen
Sather: Hello
Waddell: We have some interest in Pascal Dupuis
Sather: How about for a 4th round pick?
Waddell: Umm not interested, how about Alex Bourret
Sather: (Thinking about how Waddell has cracked and whether to inquire into the availability of Kovalchuk): You got yourself a deal.
Sather: (Guilt kicks in)... How bout we throw in a third to sweeten the pot.

NYRfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Edge

Sorry but you don't cut your losses on a 20 year old who is a first year pro AND one of the youngest players in the AHL, especially when he's starting to pick up his game the second half of the season.

And you especially don't trade him for Dupuis. The guy is, at BEST, a "nice" third line player, assuming he can get back to the level he was 4 years ago and hasn't really been at since.

Bourret might only be a third line player someday, but I don't think you move him for Dupuis, I mean this is a guy who has been clumped into the whole Moore/Hall boat and those guys were not going to fetch a former first round pick who is all of 45 games into his pro career.

If Alex were 23 or 24 I could understand that, but this kid won't even be old enough to drink in the states for another 8 months.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote