HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dupuis and a 3rd to Atlanta for Alex Bourret

Old
02-28-2007, 12:30 AM
AJ1982

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Bourret reminds me of Marty Lapointe. Like the trade because Dupuis was not looking like a fit and you would have to be lucky to get a Bourret caliber prospect in the third round. In defense of the Atlanta fans coming here... I don't think Atlanta totally gets shafted in this the way some are suggesting. Dupuis can be a good player and may fill in better on a team like Atlanta, which tends to play a run and gun game. We are more puck possession and I don't think Dupuis is a good fit for that style. Do I think Waddell could have had Dupuis for less? PErhaps, but the market rate for players was astronomical, stiffs were pulling in first round picks. So this is what the market rate seemed to be.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Strong Island

Great deadline for the Rangers. Nothing really major but still effective.

Strong Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:06 AM
E-Train

Still can't believe Bourret was the return for Dupuis

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:06 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
Bourret reminds me of Marty Lapointe. Like the trade because Dupuis was not looking like a fit and you would have to be lucky to get a Bourret caliber prospect in the third round. In defense of the Atlanta fans coming here... I don't think Atlanta totally gets shafted in this the way some are suggesting. Dupuis can be a good player and may fill in better on a team like Atlanta, which tends to play a run and gun game. We are more puck possession and I don't think Dupuis is a good fit for that style. Do I think Waddell could have had Dupuis for less? PErhaps, but the market rate for players was astronomical, stiffs were pulling in first round picks. So this is what the market rate seemed to be.
You know AJ, I just do not see it. Even trying to play Devil's advocate for the Thrashers here.

Dupuis if EVERYTHING falls right is a good, not great, third line winger.

I just don't think he's that rare of a player to make that kind of trade. I mean up until we traded for the guy, even I had to go on hockeydb.com to remember what the heck he did.

As for Bourret it seems like Atlanta soured on him after about 20 medicore AHL games. Since then he's been getting better. 6 months ago the kid was 19, coming out of juniors and looked like a very nice little player. I don't see that having changed that dramatically because of 20 games.

Heck if that were the case we should've moved Dubinsky to get Dupuis in the first place.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:30 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
You know AJ, I just do not see it. Even trying to play Devil's advocate for the Thrashers here.

Dupuis if EVERYTHING falls right is a good, not great, third line winger.

I just don't think he's that rare of a player to make that kind of trade. I mean up until we traded for the guy, even I had to go on hockeydb.com to remember what the heck he did.

As for Bourret it seems like Atlanta soured on him after about 20 medicore AHL games. Since then he's been getting better. 6 months ago the kid was 19, coming out of juniors and looked like a very nice little player. I don't see that having changed that dramatically because of 20 games.

Heck if that were the case we should've moved Dubinsky to get Dupuis in the first place.
Dubinsky is just why i'm not worried aboout Bourret at all just judging it from what it is and not knowing anything about him

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:34 AM
xander

Both came into camp a bit out of shape and had slow starts to they're pro careers. As of now, Bourret has actually outscored Dubinsky at the AHL level and done so in fewer games.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:11 AM
eco's bones

As far as I'm concerned an excellent deal for us. Too bad about the third though as that's how it was originally announced. Bourret is a tank with some talent and hopefully 2nd round material. Great pickup. 32 points in 45 AHL games isn't bad for a 20 year old.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:31 AM
ap215

I can't believe i'm saying this too but terrific trade by Sather and the Rangers.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:58 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseenpunk View Post
I am really curious how the phone-call began and who initiated it...
Waddell: Hey Glen
Sather: Hello
Waddell: We have some interest in Pascal Dupuis
Sather: How about for a 4th round pick?
Waddell: Umm not interested, how about Alex Bourret
Sather: (Thinking about how Waddell has cracked and whether to inquire into the availability of Kovalchuk): You got yourself a deal.
Sather: (Guilt kicks in)... How bout we throw in a third to sweeten the pot.
I think we all know what happend.

Slats goes out for a smoke. When he comes back he is giggling. Maloney goes "tell me you didn't call Waddel?", Slats keeps giggiling. Maloney manage to press Slats to admit that he fooled Waddel into giving us Bourret and a 3rd pick. Maloney think about what this will do to our reputation and forces Sather to call Waddel, and not only give back the 3rd, but to give them our 3rd.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:28 AM
pld459666

As much as I have killed Sather for what he has done with this team (in some cases, what he has not done for thie team) I have no choice but to commend him on a very effective day.

Mara for Ward

I liked the Ward signing, still do but we get a defenceman that has the ability to post 45+ point seasons while playing as good defensively as Ward did (during his stay in NY) What I will miss about Ward is his desire to question leadership, it's when leadership is questioned that leadership emerges. Jagr has not been the best of captains this year and it's good that he was confronted about it. Sorry to see Ward go, but I very very much like the return.

Dupuis and a 3rd for Allex Bourret

Big fan of this deal. I liked the way that Dupuis hustled and thought that the Fish line of Cullen, Ortmeyer and Dupuis was a high energy line that could generate some offence from that hustle. But getting Bourret, who like Dubinsky, is having a though go around in their rookie season in the AHL I think that he has the hands and desire to be a solid 2nd liner in NY along with Dubinsky.

These are 2 deals that this team needed to make. Instead of pursuing the pipe dream that is the PO's this was a deal that better suited the Rangers today and I',m glad that Sather was able to recognize that

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 08:17 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Looking forward to seeing Bourett play with the Pack. I think I might take a little road trip down to Philly to see him play against the Phantoms.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
See, I agree with all that, but I also thought that Jagr, Nylander and such also needed to get shipped out. With the going rate, can you imagine the return we'd get for these guys?! We'd jump to top 2-3 farm systems in the league right away, and would have an enormous amount of high picks in a deep draft. Then the future would look that much sweeter.

So, while Sather did make it a good deadline, I still wish we had JD in his place, cause I think that he'd decimate this league in his place.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:06 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Will Alex be joining the Pack?

02-28-2007, 09:18 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Just to clarify.. the RANGERS gave up the 3rd round pick right?

Anyhow, that said i really like this deal. Whatever you want to discuss about Dupuis is fine, but its moot now. The main purpose here is that the Rangers got younger and somehow managed to pull off Atlantas #1 prospect.

The Rangers lost Cliche, but they get a kid whos better. Nasty forechecker. Something the Rangers need in the future. With guys like Avery and Prucha and Hollweg already on the team i think Bourret has a real shot at making the club next camp, along with a few other youngens.

If the Rangers can swing a deal or sign a top flite center during the offseason, they have alot of options in camp as to what they can do with the kids.

Im kinda curious what spots will be opened and at whos expense as well.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:24 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
See, I agree with all that, but I also thought that Jagr, Nylander and such also needed to get shipped out. With the going rate, can you imagine the return we'd get for these guys?! We'd jump to top 2-3 farm systems in the league right away, and would have an enormous amount of high picks in a deep draft. Then the future would look that much sweeter.

So, while Sather did make it a good deadline, I still wish we had JD in his place, cause I think that he'd decimate this league in his place.
I was really hoping the Rangers would move Nyander.

Look at the amount of centers moved this year and the quality that has gone the other direction.

Besides he is a UFA in the summer with a player option. If he didnt like were he was traded to he could have always resigned with the Rangers if he was in their plans.

You could have picked up another #1 prospect and a high pick for Nyls, which i wouldve done in a heartbeat, and im a big fan of Nylander.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
This is really a no-risk, high-reward move. Hard to hate it.

02-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Really happy at the placement of the pick they decided to give up along with Dupuis. There is a huge difference in giving up a 3rd as opposed to giving up a 2nd. So, hats off for not falling for that trap.

Bourret will mature and should turn out to be similar to an Avery type talent wise.

The only thing that bothers me about the Mara deal is NYR could have likely played up Ward's experience and winning background, and snuck an extra pick out of BOS.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Fletch

It's really hard to hate...

anything Sather did or didn't do at the trade deadline, except if you wanted vets moved. Getting vets seemed expensive. Getting a young body for what was effectively Dom Moore ain't bad either. Getting Mara for Ward is somewhat a wash. Ward's better defensively and a better leader, but Mara has offensive potential that took a step back. He's a bit of a risk, but could work out very well.

It was a quiet day, and that's not always a bad thing. I think I would've been happy with almost anything except trading a bunch of kids. If they purged, I'd be happy. If they shuffled (including sending out Dupuis for a kid in Hartford to play), then I would've been happy. At least this day is behind everyone and the focus is on the playoffs.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:43 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
anything Sather did or didn't do at the trade deadline, except if you wanted vets moved. Getting vets seemed expensive. Getting a young body for what was effectively Dom Moore ain't bad either. Getting Mara for Ward is somewhat a wash. Ward's better defensively and a better leader, but Mara has offensive potential that took a step back. He's a bit of a risk, but could work out very well.

It was a quiet day, and that's not always a bad thing. I think I would've been happy with almost anything except trading a bunch of kids. If they purged, I'd be happy. If they shuffled (including sending out Dupuis for a kid in Hartford to play), then I would've been happy. At least this day is behind everyone and the focus is on the playoffs.
What the moved do do is let the Rangers get younger without really diminishing any chance they have to make the playoffs this season. Ward and Dupuis are not difference between postseason and no postseason for this team.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:27 AM
bathgate

I spend a whole bunch of time in Chicago. I saw the Wolves play one game and our new kid.. I did not focus on him but remember his touch around the net and he does hit like a freight train. He did seem chunky but thought I'd love to have this kid. He seemed to hit like Hollweg but seemed to have huge upside offensive potential.I recall one end to end rush which was impressive. CAN'T READ TOO MUCH INTO MY "SCOUTING REPORT" but it is a no risk trade

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:34 AM
94now

How come this Alex kid is making $850K? Also, he had a concussion back in Sept. Those might be the thoughts on Thrashers part...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:36 AM
RMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Just to clarify.. the RANGERS gave up the 3rd round pick right?

Anyhow, that said i really like this deal. Whatever you want to discuss about Dupuis is fine, but its moot now. The main purpose here is that the Rangers got younger and somehow managed to pull off Atlantas #1 prospect.

The Rangers lost Cliche, but they get a kid whos better. Nasty forechecker. Something the Rangers need in the future. With guys like Avery and Prucha and Hollweg already on the team i think Bourret has a real shot at making the club next camp, along with a few other youngens.

If the Rangers can swing a deal or sign a top flite center during the offseason, they have alot of options in camp as to what they can do with the kids.

Im kinda curious what spots will be opened and at whos expense as well.
I quoted this because this is the post that is spot on. I am a Lewiston Maineiacs fan (home of Alex Bourret, M.A. Cliche,also for those who know... Alex Picard, and Chad Denny).
Bourret was the best of the bunch when he played here. To say he plays with an "edge" is an understatement. He was by far my favorite player, has great hands, good speed, and hits like a tank! My guess is Bourret will end up as a 2nd player in the NHL. (and for the Thrashers fan that said Denny surpassed Bourret.. )

I'm not a Ranger fan but I try to follow all the players that once played in Lewiston. Good luck to the Rangers, Bourret, and also Greg Moore.

RMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
Both came into camp a bit out of shape and had slow starts to they're pro careers. As of now, Bourret has actually outscored Dubinsky at the AHL level and done so in fewer games.
We will have to see how Bourret does in HFD though. Numbers are always down in HFD, I doubt Krog who was a 2 PPG player in Chicago would score much more then 1PPG in HFD.

At the same time Bourret played behind a bunch of really good players in Chicago, I guess time will tell. But comparing stats that players in HFD puts up with stats from other teams in the AHL is a bit risky.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:43 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Not only did this move and the Mara move not hurt this team's chance in making the playoffs this season, but helps Hartford for their playoff push as well. Bourret will add even more young talent and scoring ability to an already extremly strong Hartford lineup. Also we now have a PP QB in Mara, which will help the Rangers PP and if he can return to his form from last season (47pts) he will be a HUGE help (Not to mention he is younger). I think he was not used properly in Boston and that's why his #'s suffered.

Two moves helped the Rangers now AND for the future AS WELL AS helped Hartford out for their playoff push as well. Great deals all around imo.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:36 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Sorry but you don't cut your losses on a 20 year old who is a first year pro AND one of the youngest players in the AHL, especially when he's starting to pick up his game the second half of the season.

And you especially don't trade him for Dupuis. The guy is, at BEST, a "nice" third line player, assuming he can get back to the level he was 4 years ago and hasn't really been at since.

Bourret might only be a third line player someday, but I don't think you move him for Dupuis, I mean this is a guy who has been clumped into the whole Moore/Hall boat and those guys were not going to fetch a former first round pick who is all of 45 games into his pro career.

If Alex were 23 or 24 I could understand that, but this kid won't even be old enough to drink in the states for another 8 months.
Ok so what you're saying is you think it's a good idea to move a third line player for a guy who might be a third line player someday?

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote