HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency

Old
04-05-2014, 11:59 AM
rockjngo

vCash: 500
Free Agency

Players who should be resigned:

1. Tomas Vanek. If we can, he'll be a great addition to next year's team. Unbelievable playmaking ability and deadly in front of the net with tip ins. We simply do not have that kind of player with size 6'2" 205lbs. We don't have that type of player. I know he's not the fastest skater but he sees the ice well.

2. Andrei Markov. Its obvious this year that Markov is not the same. He gets beat on the outside with speed more often than not. He isn't strong on the defensive zone but he does have a quick stick. Looking in our system, there isn't a player who can replace Markov, maybe Beaulieu but he's still 2-3 years away from being an offensive defenseman. If we still had Ryan Mcdonagh, Markov would not be resigned.

Players who should NOT be resigned:

1. Brian Gionta. I think we need to turn the page on Gionta. He's still producing but his numbers are in decline for the past 3-4 years. He'll be 36 soon and between him and Briere, ask yourself this: do we need two 36 year old 5'7" 160lbs wingers on the third line? Gionta can still make money in open market and its in the best of our club to add size and get younger.

2. George Parros, Francis Boullion, Mike Weaver, Douglas Murray. We also need to turn the page of these players. I think Jarrod Tinordi, Nathan Beaulieu and Greg Pateryn could be ready next season, if not Matt Greene, Tom Gilbert on UFAs and could be good options.

RFA:

1. PK Subban. This is a no brainer, give PK $7.6 million per season for 7 years. He's a top 5 NHL defenseman.

2. Lars Eller. I'm a bit disappointed with Eller's season. He seems to lack the drive. I could see Eller being packaged for a winger to replace Gionta's spot next season.

Other FA:

1. Paul Stastny. Bring this guy home. He's got good speed and size. Very good playmaking ability. Still young and could give Galchenyuk and Gallagher a boost in point production.

Lines:
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Galchenyuk-Stastny-Gallagher
Bournival-Plekanec-Briere
Prust-White-Moen
Bourque-Weise

Subban-Markov
Gorges-Emelin
Tinordi-Beaulieu
Pateryn

Price
Budaj

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 12:03 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post

1. Tomas Vanek. If we can, he'll be a great addition to next year's team. Unbelievable playmaking ability and deadly in front of the net with tip ins. We simply do not have that kind of player with size 6'2" 205lbs. We don't have that type of player. I know he's not the fastest skater but he sees the ice well.

2. Andrei Markov. Its obvious this year that Markov is not the same. He gets beat on the outside with speed more often than not. He isn't strong on the defensive zone but he does have a quick stick. Looking in our system, there isn't a player who can replace Markov, maybe Beaulieu but he's still 2-3 years away from being an offensive defenseman. If we still had Ryan Mcdonagh, Markov would not be resigned.

1. Brian Gionta. I think we need to turn the page on Gionta. He's still producing but his numbers are in decline for the past 3-4 years. He'll be 36 soon and between him and Briere, ask yourself this: do we need two 36 year old 5'7" 160lbs wingers on the third line? Gionta can still make money in open market and its in the best of our club to add size and get younger.

2. George Parros, Francis Boullion, Mike Weaver, Douglas Murray. We also need to turn the page of these players. I think Jarrod Tinordi, Nathan Beaulieu and Greg Pateryn could be ready next season, if not Matt Greene, Tom Gilbert on UFAs and could be good options.

RFA:

1. PK Subban. This is a no brainer, give PK $7.6 million per season for 7 years. He's a top 5 NHL defenseman.

2. Lars Eller. I'm a bit disappointed with Eller's season. He seems to lack the drive. I could see Eller being packaged for a winger to replace Gionta's spot next season.

Other FA:

1. Paul Stastny. Bring this guy home. He's got good speed and size. Very good playmaking ability. Still young and could give Galchenyuk and Gallagher a boost in point production.

Lines:
Prust-White-Moen
Bourque-Weise

Subban-Markov
Gorges-Emelin
Tinordi-Beaulieu
Pateryn

Price
Budaj
he's American.....montreal is not his home.

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 12:05 PM
sharks9

I'd like to get rid of Briere and use that money to re-sign Gionta if we can

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 12:07 PM
Treb

Money would be best spent on a top-6 winger rather than a top-6 center, we have several of those already.

Treb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
he's American.....montreal is not his home.
And Statsny announced he would take a discount to stay with the Avs.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...t-avs-discount

No idea how much of a discount he's willing to give, but I'm sure the Avs want to keep him and will make it work.

Cupmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:

Lines:
Prust-White-Moen
Bourque-Weise

Subban-Markov
Gorges-Emelin
Tinordi-Beaulieu
Pateryn

Price
Budaj

You know there is a salary cap right?

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
If Gionta doesn't ask for too much, I'd bring him back, even though he's not scoring as he used to, he can be a valuable contributor as a 3rd line forward.

As for Stastny, I don't see him leaving Colorado (his future wife is from Denver, she has a business there and Denver is pretty much Paul's home since he's been living there for 10 years) and if he does he'll probably end up in St Louis.

I'd re-sing Weaver, he could be a good option as a #6/7.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

RFA:

Other FA:

Lines:
Prust-White-Moen
Bourque-Weise

Subban-Markov
Gorges-Emelin
Tinordi-Beaulieu
Pateryn

Price
Budaj
Capgeek is your friend. It will save all of us time.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 12:43 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
If Gionta doesn't ask for too much, I'd bring him back, even though he's not scoring as he used to, he can be a valuable contributor as a 3rd line forward.

As for Stastny, I don't see him leaving Colorado (his future wife is from Denver, she has a business there and Denver is pretty much Paul's home since he's been living there for 10 years) and if he does he'll probably end up in St Louis.

I'd re-sign Weaver, he could be a good option as a #6/7.
I'd be on board with re-signing Weaver as the #6/7 and telling Bouillon to GTFO. Let Murray go as well and give Tinordi and Beaulieu a fair shot of sticking around for the entire year.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

If Weaver keeps playing good I'd keep him. Get rid of Bouillon for sure, I never liked the fact that we re-signed him. I might keep Gio , but IDK where he would fit. Does Hamilton have anyone ready to step for the 3rd line RW spot? Andrighetto?

As for Douglas Murray, I'd be hesitant to let him go. No one in Montreal offers his toughness, it comes in handy vs Boston and other teams who want to play a little dirty/rough on our small players like last night. I'd re-sign him cheap at 1M/1 year if he wants.

Thomas Vanek needs to be re-signed, 7M/7years, if not won't might going all the way to 8M/8years, but that will hurt the habs in the end.. If it brings a cup home, I doubt it matters...

Andrei Markov, we need this guy right now.. He's the glue to our D, the only guy who can play the PP with Subban effectively, he's a legit #3 right now and no-one is ready to step up to take his role.. we are already missing a #2 = 5.25M/3years

Parros needs to go, he's too old. I'd re-sign Ryan White, and try to get Another HW on FA/trade or Waivers/ I'd try to package Gorges for a top-6 LW/ we got no-one nearly ready for that role, preferably a PWF

New winger-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bournival-Galchenyuk-Andrighetto/Gio
Moen-White-Prust
Heavyweight-Weise

Markov-Subban
Tinordi-Emelin
Beaulieu-Weaver
Murray
Pateryn

Galchenyuk4habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 01:12 PM
_vivelequebec_

OP, what's the cap for your roster?

Also, we need to get rid of Bourque

_vivelequebec_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 01:15 PM
_vivelequebec_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
New winger-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bournival-Galchenyuk-Andrighetto/Gio
Moen-White-Prust
Heavyweight-Weise

Markov-Subban
Tinordi-Emelin
Beaulieu-Weaver
Murray
Pateryn
I like your lines, if we can get a good 25g30a 6'2 winger (for Gorges, Eller and a 2nd round pick) on the second line we could go very far in the next play-offs.

_vivelequebec_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by _vivelequebec_ View Post
I like your lines, if we can get a good 25g30a 6'2 winger (for Gorges, Eller and a 2nd round pick) on the second line we could go very far in the next play-offs.
I've been saying since january. We should trade Gorges for McGinn.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 02:39 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
In no way am I interested in bringing another center into the fold. We have to make room for Galchenyuk and Eller. Not clutter things further. If anything, we should be looking to move Plekanec to facilitate things (risky, but makes the space, clears cap space, and moves out a guy in the 30 and over club). Move him for a combo of picks/prospects.

If the stars aligned, you could then sign a guy like Vanek AND add secondary scoring to a line with the Gals.

I'd have Markov back for the right price. 2 years and $5 million per.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin

A very good top 4.

I don't think the third pair can be a rotation of three youngsters. Tinordi is ready. Beaulieu has shown signs, but he still needs to add strength. I think Weaver has availed himself nicely. He takes a hit to make a play, hits hard - ask Paille - and is a good 6-7 guy. He's a cheap signing too.

Third pair for me would be Tinordi and Weaver. Cube is gone, so the team has to decide at camp if Nate is ready to be up full time, and rotate in and out of the line up.

Parros is done. I'd replace him with Biznasty. Cheap, capable of the task, and not one concussion away from forced retirement.

Prust moves up to full time 3rd line duty, Bournival to the 4th line.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNY View Post
In no way am I interested in bringing another center into the fold. We have to make room for Galchenyuk and Eller. Not clutter things further. If anything, we should be looking to move Plekanec to facilitate things (risky, but makes the space, clears cap space, and moves out a guy in the 30 and over club). Move him for a combo of picks/prospects.

If the stars aligned, you could then sign a guy like Vanek AND add secondary scoring to a line with the Gals.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin

A very good top 4.

I don't think the third pair can be a rotation of three youngsters. Tinordi is ready. Beaulieu has shown signs, but he still needs to add strength. I think Weaver has availed himself nicely. He takes a hit to make a play, hits hard - ask Paille - and is a good 6-7 guy. He's a cheap signing too.

Third pair for me would be Tinordi and Weaver. Cube is gone, so the team has to decide at camp if Nate is ready to be up full time, and rotate in and out of the line up.

Parros is done. I'd replace him with Biznasty. Cheap, capable of the task, and not one concussion away from forced retirement.

You don't trade your best center, Plekanec, for prospects, unless you've given up contending in the next three/four years and plan to rebuild. There is no one who could take his place in the short term. And if you're thinking long-term, why in the world keep Markov??

Prust is not a 3rd-liner on a contender. He's a great 4th line guy when healthy, but he may not ever be 100% healthy.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 03:59 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNY View Post

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin

A very good top 4.

Jumping the gun a little?
You want to move our best shutdown center to make room for a guy who is not ready to shutdown anything but a light?
Pleks stays until someone can demonstrate that they can take over
If you want to clear cap find homes for Bourque and Briere

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 04:47 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
It's bold to move Plekanec. No doubt. It certainly isn't giving up though. It's about maximizing a return on an asset we have too many of.

We're not giving up on Galchenyuk.

Eller, if we are to give up on him as at his lowest in terms of value. Lars has shown on more than one occasion that when he's allowed to play center he improves and excels. Heck, he's been 4th line center of late and has potted a couple of goals.

Larry and Alex NEED to play center. Now.

Trading DD could address the glut, but you also run risks with that move. Max and DD have clear chemistry. Vanek has fit like a glove. He didn't fit with Plekanec, and Galchenyuk isn't getting the chance to play center with the roster we presently have. IMO, it's a bigger risk to trade DD who's got the best chemistry with our best sniper in favor of Galchenyuk. Gal isn't ready for first line duty, but second line, with Gallagher and a strong scoring winger? I'm all for that.

That all means Pleks is your third line center. Yah, he's great and does a lot. 3rd line centers should not be paid $5 million a year though. Move him out for picks and prospects to clear cap space to address the need for a second line winger to play with the Gals. Give Eller the ball at third line with Prust and somebody else.

Prust has shown his ability to play third line minutes. He's moved up and down our lineup since acquisition. He kills penalties. He's a responsible player. 3rd line is not a problem for him.

At some point, Pleks is redundant. He's got term and an attractive salary for a team looking for a 2nd line center. This is the best time to get value and move on. Not when his contract is up and he's nearly 33.

Invest that money in a scoring winger. Use the money from buying Bourque to address depth or add a legitimate 3rd liner to go with Eller and Prust.

Vanek-DD-Pacioretty
Moulson/$4-5 million player-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Prust-Eller-UFA/internal
Moen-White-Weise

Eller, Weise and White can all be qualified and it won't cost $100,000 combined to do it. Eller might be the only hold out, but he's got a lot to prove, so it's worth the risk. If someone gives him an offer sheet, examine the fit and decided whether he's worth more than the picks you'd get.

There's no step backwards here. It's a risk defensively, but one worth taking imo.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 01:54 AM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

UFA
I'm a big fan of bringing back Weaver, Murray, Markov, and Vanek.
Captain Gionta would be welcome back at 2.5-3M on a 2 year deal.
Time to say goodbye to Parros, Bouillon, Dubnyk, and Tarnasky
Not sure about Blunden and St.Pierre

RFA
Bring back Eller, Weise, White, Subban, Pateryn, Tokarski
Not sure about Leblanc, Nattinen, Delmas, Czarnik

Steve Shutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 07:18 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

yeah if Murray's fine with being a #7 more or less than I'd love to have him for depth. Weaver too. Weaver before Murray on the depth chart.

Depending on how much better our D corps looks with Gorges back in the line up, I'd entertain the idea of trading him. His contract could be hard to move without taking any salary back but it's definitely an option worth exploring.

Same with Pleks. I like him but we could survive without him and we could get some decent value back while opening a spot for Galchenyuk. It's definitely an option.

Vanek's a no brainer.

Really like Gionta on a 3rd line now but I think Bournival could take his place there. If we pretty much keep the team as is and sign Vanek and can't move Bourque or Briere then I wouldn't re-sign Gio.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 07:18 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post
UFA
I'm a big fan of bringing back Weaver, Murray, Markov, and Vanek.
Captain Gionta would be welcome back at 2.5-3M on a 2 year deal.
Time to say goodbye to Parros, Bouillon, Dubnyk, and Tarnasky. Not sure about Blunden and St.Pierre

RFA
Bring back Eller, Weise, White, Subban, Pateryn, Tokarski
Not sure about Leblanc, Nattinen, Delmas, Czarnik
You want the Bulldogs to keep tanking? Why should we get rid of assets that aren't playing in the NHL, you don't even get a return if you trade them.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
You want the Bulldogs to keep tanking? Why should we get rid of assets that aren't playing in the NHL, you don't even get a return if you trade them.
Maybe you misunderstood me. "Not sure about..." simply means I don't know enough about their progression to pass judgement. Blunden, St.Pierre, Leblanc, Nattinen, Delmas, and Czarnik might all be good options going forward. However, they might also need to make room for for some of our younger guys coming up.

I would be surprised to see Dubnyk (1-4-0, 3.49 GAA) and Tarnasky (age and limited chance to play in Mtl) resigned by Montreal. Not ruling out that Hamilton signs Tarnasky but I doubt Montreal uses one of their 50 contracts on him.

Steve Shutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Draft

I don't think we should take the risk of signing Markov. The combination of age and big money very rarely turns out well. If he's injured or continues on his downward trend, we could be spending 5mil+ on a PP specialist during contract years for our best young players (Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi).

The topic of trading Plekanec has been brought up a couple of times and I'd strongly consider it. It's obvious we need to make room for Galchenyuk and Eller. If we resign Vanek, there is no way Desharnais is traded as, like it or not, he's now a "1st line centre" on a line that plays like a top line in the NHL. I think it's a little ridiculous to move him solely for picks and prospects, we have roster needs right now and a good group of young players and prospects. I'd move Plekanec for a top-4 defenceman and a prospect to solidify our d-corps. Something like:

Plekanec + Pateryn

To STL for

Cole + Jaskin

Briere-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Jaskin
Moen-Bournival-Prust

Cole-Subban
Gorges-Emelin
Tinordi-Nygren/Beaulieu

Obviously Cole and Jaskin have varying degrees of value based on who you talk to or what your philosophy is. We likely wouldn't be better than we are right now but we'd be in a significantly better situation two years from now IMO.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 03:53 PM
JAVO16

Terrible trade

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Terrible trade
Have you watched much of Jaskin and Cole? Likely not if you think this is a terrible trade. Just because they aren't your typically over-hyped young players doesn't mean they aren't good players. Both have pretty significant upside and, based on his progression this year, Cole will be a very solid top-4 defenceman for quite some time.

No one will give you a blue chip asset for an over-the-hill second line centre.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 05:03 PM
habsrule22

if we traded eller, bourque n a pick for evander kane
Trade briere for a prospect or pick
sign vanek for 8 m
PK for 7.5m
Markov for what he makes now 5.7
gionta for no more than 4m
weiss n white for a 1m each
weaver for about 1.25m

our 2014 team could look like

Kane-Plekanec-gionta
Bournival-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Prust-White-Moen

Weise

Subban-Markov
Gorges-Emelin
Tinordi-Beaulieu
weaver

Price
Budaj

With these moves according to capgeek we would have 4.5m left on 71m cap

Last edited by habsrule22: 04-06-2014 at 05:09 PM.
habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote