HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Really wonder if Philippe Gadoury will be picked. Even if he's already 20, the CCHL isn't a league you will look at but the way he immediately response in the Q has to raise some eyebrows....at the very least, will SURELY be invited to a camp if not picked.

Old
04-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
barbashev isn't a timmins type pick. depends on who's available, but I would be surprised to see timmins pick him.
What makes him a non-Timmins pick?

His intangibles are all +, grit, work ethic, attitude, character. That alone gets him in the conversation.

Old
04-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Really wonder if Philippe Gadoury will be picked. Even if he's already 20, the CCHL isn't a league you will look at but the way he immediately response in the Q has to raise some eyebrows....at the very least, will SURELY be invited to a camp if not picked.
I'm sure most teams are looking at him. Size and lack of history(at a high level) will work against him but Grenier was drafted in a similar situation(but he was 6'5").

Old
04-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I'm sure most teams are looking at him. Size and lack of history(at a high level) will work against him but Grenier was drafted in a similar situation(but he was 6'5").
And Frédérick Gaudreau is buying himself a pass to a NHL camp too with his year and his playoffs so far.

Old
04-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
And Frédérick Gaudreau is buying himself a pass to a NHL camp too with his year and his playoffs so far.
I can see Bergevin extending invites to both. Just to see them up close

Old
04-05-2014, 01:35 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Gadourys hands are incredible. He isn't as short as he is listed either

Old
04-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Tribu

How are Barbashev's vision and playmaking abilities?

Old
04-05-2014, 02:24 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

It's outrageous that Audette wasn't invited to the U-18 team. He might still make it, but won't be there for the pre-tournament games. Makes no effin' sense.

Clark Effin' Bishop before him. Really Team Canada?

Old
04-05-2014, 02:26 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
In his case you have to look at who he plays with, he surely has a knack for scoring goals, but will a small skilled guy like him be able to do as good against bigger, faster players? I have huge doubts.

He plays with two of the best players in the entire league in Ashley and Drouin.

Last edited by QuebecPride: 04-05-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old
04-05-2014, 02:35 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
In his case you have to look with who he plays, he surely has a knack for scoring goals, but will a small skilled guy like him be able to do as good against bigger, faster players? I have huge doubts.

He plays with two of the best players in the entire league in Ashley and Drouin.
He's about the same size as drouin.

Old
04-05-2014, 02:46 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He's about the same size as drouin.
He's near that, but I have him around 5'9/5'10. Drouin's 5'10.5''.

There's a boatload of differences between the two players though. You need to be quick to be able to get away from coverage with that frame. You need to be smarter than the bigger guys, be shifty, and work harder.

And I'm not sure Gadoury fits all those categories. Given that I've only seen him play a few times, and never live.

I think he's just a good goal scorer playing with two excellent junior players. I'll wait to see more before commenting on his Pro potential, but right now, I'm not very confident.

Old
04-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Mathletic

Ho-Sang, Audette and Peters among players not named to Canada's U18 team. Will be interesting to see how Ho-Sang's stock fluctuates until the draft.

Old
04-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Rysmo

vCash: 614
If we manage to make a run in the playoffs and are picking in the 26-30 range, is Anton Karlsson still a bit of a reach? I really like the guy but some people have him early second round. Of course, others have him in that range, seems to be some indecision.

Makes me wish we had an early 2nd to grab him because I think he's fantastic.

Old
04-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Rysmo

vCash: 614
Quote:
It's outrageous that Audette wasn't invited to the U-18 team. He might still make it, but won't be there for the pre-tournament games. Makes no effin' sense.

Clark Effin' Bishop before him. Really Team Canada?
Not to take anything away from Audette at all, but Clark Bishop is the definition of hard work and dedication. He has begun to really develop an all around, safe type of game and is the kind of guy a coach loves to have on a team. Hard to be unhappy at him being there, imo.

Old
04-05-2014, 06:53 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
He's near that, but I have him around 5'9/5'10. Drouin's 5'10.5''.

There's a boatload of differences between the two players though. You need to be quick to be able to get away from coverage with that frame. You need to be smarter than the bigger guys, be shifty, and work harder.

And I'm not sure Gadoury fits all those categories. Given that I've only seen him play a few times, and never live.

I think he's just a good goal scorer playing with two excellent junior players. I'll wait to see more before commenting on his Pro potential, but right now, I'm not very confident.
He's a late round pick or AHL signing type guy right now. However, I think he does have a lot of smarts, his hands are silky smooth and he really knows how to find soft spots in coverage. I understand that he is playing with some great players on his team but a lot of the times, I've seen him generate the plays himself.

Let's keep in mind as well that Drouin is still sulking about being down in the Q. He is entirely dominating the game based on skill alone, he isn't really trying most times. Gadoury often drives the line.

He's a guy well worth taking a chance on. Let's not confuse him with being a 2-4th round prospect, he's a guy you take a flyer on and see if he can contribute in the NHL. Much like what happened with Desharnais.

Old
04-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Mathletic

Ehlers blows by Gatineau's D and deflects the puck on a nice feed by Gadoury

5-1 Mooseheads

... holy smokes, great stickhandling by Ehlers to setup Gadoury. May have been offside but still one heck of a play.

6-1 on a penalty to Reway after Ehlers picked him off

Last edited by Mathletic: 04-05-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old
04-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Ho-Sang, Audette and Peters among players not named to Canada's U18 team. Will be interesting to see how Ho-Sang's stock fluctuates until the draft.
I was pretty high on him early in the year. I kept waiting for him to take his game to the next level, but never really did.

I do like how he goes to the net hard, but I just don't think it'll be as easy for him against the big boys.

He still looks like a junior player, and he wouldn't make an impact for years.

I would kill for a player like Ritchie. He's a beast.

Old
04-06-2014, 05:49 PM
S Bah

With the improved play from the Habs in the last month, it's easy to foresee a long playoff run ahead and a Final Four being a possibility, IMO. That being the case picking between 27th - 30th is a realistic thought and revising the players that will be available is necessary.

Anton Karlsson LW/RW, speedster with excellent checking and a scoring touch, could be a great late 1st round pick. Might look good in the future on a line with McCarron at center and DLR at LW, as a energy 3rd line, changing momentum in a checking role, and creating secondary scoring behind the top six.

Marcus Pettersson LD a swift skating, puckmoving Dman with an offensive flair and 6'4" size attribute could become a 2nd pairing Dman for the Habs.

Ryan MacInnis LHC with a scoring touch, good skating and playmaking, NHL bloodlines, with 6'3" size, all qualities that will serve him well in the future.

Connor Chatham RW huge PWF at 6'3" - 225 lbs. already NHL stature, with shootout skills, playmaking abilities, sound defensively and rounding out a 200 ft. game, could be a top nine player in the NHL. Given the Habs already have McCarron playing well at center and Connor Crisp LW in Hamilton, both with NHL size, Chatham would give the Habs a high quality 3rd line with huge stature.(great for long playoff runs)

Any of the above four would be excellent choices for a late 1st round pick in a weak draft,IMO. This draft is one the Habs should be using to find another gem like Crisp, IMO and there are some very good candidates to balance their lineup. Timmins struck gold last year with late pick McCarron and Crisp in the 3rd, along with Andrighetto. A couple more players of their ilk, will solidify the teams balance and make room for the smaller Lehkonen, Hudon, Andrighetto to perform. Especially when the Habs already have Gionta & Gallagher in the lineup.

A viable 3rd or 4th round pick is Beau Starrett LW/C - 6'5 - 200 lbs. projected to be 6'6" - 230lbs after completing his college years at Cornell. Leads his South Shore Kings (USPHL) in scoring, former teammate of Liam Coughlin(Timmins darkhorse pick last year)now @ U of Minn., both players are huge in size and PWF's with NHL upside of 3rd or 4th line capabilities, IMO. Starrett could be a Ryan White type player for the Habs in 4-5 yrs., with his size could play the policeman role for the Habs and be a dominant force at the NHL level in that role.

Old
04-06-2014, 08:20 PM
ForeverHabs97

I'm gonna let Trevor Timmins do his thing.. he's probably one of the best if not the best of the scouts in the NHL. If you look at his previous picks, Mcdonagh, Pacioretty that is turning out to be one hell of a steal with a pick in the 20's and more coming in Andrighetto and De La Rose and Galchenyuk.

Anyone he picks, I'm in.

Old
04-06-2014, 09:03 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverHabs97 View Post
I'm gonna let Trevor Timmins do his thing.. he's probably one of the best if not the best of the scouts in the NHL. If you look at his previous picks, Mcdonagh, Pacioretty that is turning out to be one hell of a steal with a pick in the 20's and more coming in Andrighetto and De La Rose and Galchenyuk.

Anyone he picks, I'm in.
How magnanimous of you to allow it.

Old
04-07-2014, 01:13 AM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Hunter Smith could be an intresting pick, a huge body(6'6 210) and finding an offensive touch to his game. If he is available with our 3rd rounder I wouldn't mind that pick.

Old
04-07-2014, 06:40 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
With the improved play from the Habs in the last month, it's easy to foresee a long playoff run ahead and a Final Four being a possibility, IMO. That being the case picking between 27th - 30th is a realistic thought and revising the players that will be available is necessary.

Anton Karlsson LW/RW, speedster with excellent checking and a scoring touch, could be a great late 1st round pick. Might look good in the future on a line with McCarron at center and DLR at LW, as a energy 3rd line, changing momentum in a checking role, and creating secondary scoring behind the top six.

Marcus Pettersson LD a swift skating, puckmoving Dman with an offensive flair and 6'4" size attribute could become a 2nd pairing Dman for the Habs.

Ryan MacInnis LHC with a scoring touch, good skating and playmaking, NHL bloodlines, with 6'3" size, all qualities that will serve him well in the future.

Connor Chatham RW huge PWF at 6'3" - 225 lbs. already NHL stature, with shootout skills, playmaking abilities, sound defensively and rounding out a 200 ft. game, could be a top nine player in the NHL. Given the Habs already have McCarron playing well at center and Connor Crisp LW in Hamilton, both with NHL size, Chatham would give the Habs a high quality 3rd line with huge stature.(great for long playoff runs)

Any of the above four would be excellent choices for a late 1st round pick in a weak draft,IMO. This draft is one the Habs should be using to find another gem like Crisp, IMO and there are some very good candidates to balance their lineup. Timmins struck gold last year with late pick McCarron and Crisp in the 3rd, along with Andrighetto. A couple more players of their ilk, will solidify the teams balance and make room for the smaller Lehkonen, Hudon, Andrighetto to perform. Especially when the Habs already have Gionta & Gallagher in the lineup.

A viable 3rd or 4th round pick is Beau Starrett LW/C - 6'5 - 200 lbs. projected to be 6'6" - 230lbs after completing his college years at Cornell. Leads his South Shore Kings (USPHL) in scoring, former teammate of Liam Coughlin(Timmins darkhorse pick last year)now @ U of Minn., both players are huge in size and PWF's with NHL upside of 3rd or 4th line capabilities, IMO. Starrett could be a Ryan White type player for the Habs in 4-5 yrs., with his size could play the policeman role for the Habs and be a dominant force at the NHL level in that role.
I would consider focusing more on forwards than defense. As D-men take so long to mature. Even a stud like McDonaugh took 5 years. A more effective way of adding good defensemen maybe pro-scouting. Chances are there are more Mike Weavers out there.

Old
04-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 332
Ho-Sang just got suspended for 15 games, pretty ridiculous

Old
04-07-2014, 05:28 PM
pc_md

Wow that´s the worst suspension I have ever seen !

15 games for something not even worth a 2 minutes ...

Old
04-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe Armstrong View Post
Ho-Sang just got suspended for 15 games, pretty ridiculous
ridiculous when you think Stolarz got 8 games ... might be less if London's out in the 2nd round ... and this gets Ho-Sang 15 games

Closed Thread