HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers deadline vs Isles deadline

Old
02-28-2007, 01:23 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
The Smyth deal is like throwing all your cards on the table right now. They not only are going to have to make the playoffs but go far into them to make it worth it and by far I mean the finals. Smyth will be a UFA and if he wouldn't sign with the Oilers after so many years he's probably not going to be the easiest negotiation so there is a very good possibility that he is going to be a rental for the Isles. Nilsson, O'Marra and this years first is a pretty high price to pay for that. Like Atlanta they've decided to go for it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:02 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

The isle price was fairly steep. It only makes sense if you resign the player. You do not give up three 1st rounders unless you are are booby clarke! Personally I think a young GM has gotten teken to the cleaners. Sather was most likely sitting next to Lowe and told him ask for 2 top prospect & a 1st, go ahead, that is what I told JD and look what he's done.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:16 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The Smyth deal is like throwing all your cards on the table right now. They not only are going to have to make the playoffs but go far into them to make it worth it and by far I mean the finals. Smyth will be a UFA and if he wouldn't sign with the Oilers after so many years he's probably not going to be the easiest negotiation so there is a very good possibility that he is going to be a rental for the Isles. Nilsson, O'Marra and this years first is a pretty high price to pay for that. Like Atlanta they've decided to go for it.
thing about teams like Atlanta and Islanders is making the playoffs can be alot of revenue for the club and could also help in season ticket sales next year(something that isn't as big an issue with the Rangers due to co-orporate season ticket holders thatw ill grab tickets no matter what). I would say the deal would be a financial success for either team if they win 1 round.

Beyond that trades like that can make those 2 cities a more attractive option for potential UFAs this summer seeing them as teams who go all out to win.

Last edited by boredmale: 02-28-2007 at 06:21 AM.
boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:04 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I think the Isles did well regardless of how far they go. They finally got a wing to play with Yashin without giving up a whole lot. Nilson is proving to be slightly better than Hugh. O'Marra is a nice prospect. And there seems to be not a whole lot of love for this years draft as nearly a third of the #1 picks have been dealt.

02-28-2007, 09:06 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12 View Post
Lastly, Bourret has a lot of growing up to do, and has serious conditioning work to do if he is to even contemplate making it to the show. Mara I like him, but the Boston fans couldn't have gotten rid of him soon enough.
Bourret is a no-risk, high-reward move. Dupuis is a redundant player on this where the best thing that could be said about him was he wasn't Adam Hall. He was not going to be a Ranger next year anyway.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Bourret is a no-risk, high-reward move. Dupuis is a redundant player on this where the best thing that could be said about him was he wasn't Adam Hall. He was not going to be a Ranger next year anyway.
I aagree about Bourret with you. He just needs to lay off the papa johns or whatever he eats. I really could never understand how pro athletes could have conditioning problems. THey have one job be in shape that is all... SBOB could you imagine getting paid for that?

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:02 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Upcoming Isles/Rangers games

I didnt want to make a new thread so i threw it in here:

Ok this is a bit silly, but i said if the Rangers have any shot at making the playoffs theyll have to close the gap with the Isles. IMO Montreal is dropping like a rock and arent going to make it. That opens up the 8th spot for Toronto, Carolina, and Rangers.

And this is assuming the other teams above like Atlanta and Pittsburgh dont fall apart either.

What the Rangers need is a 5 game winning streak. Badly. Theyve got 1.

If the Rangers win the next 4 they'll have 74 points.
If the Isles win their next 2 but lose the 2 vs. the Rangers they have 76 points.

a 2 point difference.

I cant believe im saying this but they actually still have a shot, though i think theyd have to go somewhere in the 10-5 range to close out the season to clinch it at around 94 points.

I know, alot of IFs. alot of IFS all year. but hey, stranger things have happened. DO they deserve it? Absolutely not. But beating the Isles out of that 8th spot or even spoiling it for them would be wonderful after they sold the farm for Smyth.
Regardless if the rangers make it or not, they could damage the Isles with the 4 games they have against them.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:04 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

I was watching the TSN coverage yesterday.When Gord Miller said Ryan Smyth has been traded to the NEW YORK.....I nearly tossed my lunch....before Miller said ISLANDERS

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:13 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I was watching the TSN coverage yesterday.When Gord Miller said Ryan Smyth has been traded to the NEW YORK.....I nearly tossed my lunch....before Miller said ISLANDERS
lol I had the same reaction, but now (If he likes living in NY) the Rangers can try to sign him for free in the offseason (Which would be a pretty big blow for the Islanders considering what they gave up, they didn't give up the farm but they did give up a decent amount)

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:41 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
thing about teams like Atlanta and Islanders is making the playoffs can be alot of revenue for the club and could also help in season ticket sales next year(something that isn't as big an issue with the Rangers due to co-orporate season ticket holders thatw ill grab tickets no matter what). I would say the deal would be a financial success for either team if they win 1 round.

Beyond that trades like that can make those 2 cities a more attractive option for potential UFAs this summer seeing them as teams who go all out to win.
Well an Islander friend asked me about the deal and he didn't seem to care for it. He's more casual I would think than most Islander fans on HF although he has followed the team for a long long time. My opinion was that of all the forward prospects the Islanders have Okposo was the one to keep if you could only keep one. It will have a big effect I expect though on your forward prospect depth for several years--so it's not like it is nothing. Both O'Marra and Nilsson look like possible 2nd liners--maybe 3rd's. As far as how attractive to UFA's or how it will effect ticket sales I don't know. I don't know how you're doing for attendance this year but it has not always been very good. If Blake and Smyth both jump ship over the summer you might find it hard to replace that kind of firepower. We will have to wait and see how everything turns out.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:50 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
lol I had the same reaction, but now (If he likes living in NY) the Rangers can try to sign him for free in the offseason (Which would be a pretty big blow for the Islanders considering what they gave up, they didn't give up the farm but they did give up a decent amount)
I heard an interview on Leafs Lunch with Don Meehan who is the agent for Ryan Smyth.From listening to Meehan's comments,Smyth is going to be a free agent on July 1.Meehan indicated money wasn't the only factor why Edmonton and Smyth didn't get a deal done.Meehan talked about a no movement clause/no trade clause which he wanted as part of the deal

The Rangers aren't giving any player a no movement clause or a no trade clause.They refused to offer Patrik Ellias a NMC last summer

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I didnt want to make a new thread so i threw it in here:

Ok this is a bit silly, but i said if the Rangers have any shot at making the playoffs theyll have to close the gap with the Isles. IMO Montreal is dropping like a rock and arent going to make it. That opens up the 8th spot for Toronto, Carolina, and Rangers.

And this is assuming the other teams above like Atlanta and Pittsburgh dont fall apart either.

What the Rangers need is a 5 game winning streak. Badly. Theyve got 1.

If the Rangers win the next 4 they'll have 74 points.
If the Isles win their next 2 but lose the 2 vs. the Rangers they have 76 points.

a 2 point difference.

I cant believe im saying this but they actually still have a shot, though i think theyd have to go somewhere in the 10-5 range to close out the season to clinch it at around 94 points.

I know, alot of IFs. alot of IFS all year. but hey, stranger things have happened. DO they deserve it? Absolutely not. But beating the Isles out of that 8th spot or even spoiling it for them would be wonderful after they sold the farm for Smyth.
Regardless if the rangers make it or not, they could damage the Isles with the 4 games they have against them.
well, according to my projections, the Rangers need to go:
12-6-1
11-5-3
10-4-5
9-3-7
8-2-9
7-1-11
6-0-13

to squeak into the last playoff spot. of course the numbers are adjusted everyday because the volatility of these teams are crazy. Right now the Isles are projected to finish 6th.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:02 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
well, according to my projections, the Rangers need to go:
12-6-1
11-5-3
10-4-5
9-3-7
8-2-9
7-1-11
6-0-13

to squeak into the last playoff spot. of course the numbers are adjusted everyday because the volatility of these teams are crazy. Right now the Isles are projected to finish 6th.
6-0-13?

that would be the worst way anyone has made the playoffs, just imagine.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I heard an interview on Leafs Lunch with Don Meehan who is the agent for Ryan Smyth.From listening to Meehan's comments,Smyth is going to be a free agent on July 1.Meehan indicated money wasn't the only factor why Edmonton and Smyth didn't get a deal done.Meehan talked about a no movement clause/no trade clause which he wanted as part of the deal

The Rangers aren't giving any player a no movement clause or a no trade clause.They refused to offer Patrik Ellias a NMC last summer
Yes, but Elias isn't one of Sather's friends. Sather considers Smyth one of his friends. They are from the same town and Sather had to campaign for Smyth all throughout and before the draft during his year.

I think a guy like Smyth WOULD get that from Sather compared to a guy Sather has had no positive history with.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:22 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Yes, but Elias isn't one of Sather's friends. Sather considers Smyth one of his friends. They are from the same town and Sather had to campaign for Smyth all throughout and before the draft during his year.

I think a guy like Smyth WOULD get that from Sather compared to a guy Sather has had no positive history with.
I don't think he would get one from Sather.

I also don't know how important a NMC will be for Smyth anymore. Seems like that might have been a more important factor with Edmonton.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:16 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

The Isles had a much better deadline than we did...
and the bottom line is they are a much better team. J...their on a roll and I think they have all the pieces

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 02-28-2007 at 04:29 PM.
True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:20 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
im a die hard ranger fan, but you gotta take the rose colored glasses off my friend, they added Zednick, Bergeron, and Smyth. to me they are a legitimate cup contender.
Legitimate cup contender? Let's not get carried away here.

They've put themselves in a position to make the playoffs with a good run, certainly, but compare them to Ottawa, Buffalo, and New Jersey in the East or Nashville, Anaheim, Detroit, and San Jose in the West and they are not on the same level.

Who's to say they don't pull an Edmonton from 2006, squeak into the playoffs and run all the way to the 7th game of the SCF. Any team with a streaky hot goaltender, which DiPietro is capable of, and offensive depth/grit has a good chance.

With that said, I'd wait until they've actually made the playoffs before we start making any contender like declarations.

Last edited by BigE: 02-28-2007 at 04:29 PM.
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Fletch

Tbbb...

you crack me up (not being a smartass). I love how you equate a couple guys giving a beating with being a better team. Not sure if it was intentional, but the flow of your post suggested that and after the day I had, I needed a laugh.

On paper, the Isles weren't much better, if better at all. I applaud Sather for not going the rental route. If he was going to give that up for Smyth, it better have been along with a contract extension. The scary part is that the Isles are still very beatable. I think their chances of getting into the playoffs are quite high, and their chances at losing the first round are not low. But for them, getting people to the arena down the stretch, and getting into the playoffs show a commitment that organization was looking for, as opposed to the perceived Mickey Mouse show we saw at the beginning of the season. Both teams accomplished their objectives yesterday, and both made out wel...

I echo what BigE has said...Smyth helps, and I think he'll fit in nicely into a hard-working, hard-skating system, but I don't think their defense is up to Jersey or Sabres snuff and Dipietro isn't Brodeur or Miller.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Atrivis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
you crack me up (not being a smartass). I love how you equate a couple guys giving a beating with being a better team. Not sure if it was intentional, but the flow of your post suggested that and after the day I had, I needed a laugh.

On paper, the Isles weren't much better, if better at all. I applaud Sather for not going the rental route. If he was going to give that up for Smyth, it better have been along with a contract extension. The scary part is that the Isles are still very beatable. I think their chances of getting into the playoffs are quite high, and their chances at losing the first round are not low. But for them, getting people to the arena down the stretch, and getting into the playoffs show a commitment that organization was looking for, as opposed to the perceived Mickey Mouse show we saw at the beginning of the season. Both teams accomplished their objectives yesterday, and both made out wel...

I echo what BigE has said...Smyth helps, and I think he'll fit in nicely into a hard-working, hard-skating system, but I don't think their defense is up to Jersey or Sabres snuff and Dipietro isn't Brodeur or Miller.

I'll agree with everything you said. Both teams did what was needed respectively. It would have been stupid for the Rangers to go after a big time player. They are falling out of the race and got some very good pieces of the puzzle for the future. That is the smart way to play this game. The Isles are a MUCH better team today than 3 weeks ago. They are a gritty, hard working team with a "bend, don't break" attitude spurned on by a great coach. I have suspicions on their D (although Poti has played quite well for us, surprisingly) BP is better than Miller. The stats are there. Buffalo is a better team, but they lost their best player and speed is their best weapon. The Isles rectified that with their new players. They juat got a whole lot faster.

Like I said... DP is NO Brodeur, but I believe he is better than Miller this year, or at least the difference is negligible.

Atrivis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Fletch

The Isles...

have struck me as a team that just gets things done this year. They haven't shown the ability to be the team to beat. They've played quite well of late when it counts, perhaps more continued play like that will change my mind. Further, I agree about the makeup of today's team. Integrating new guys is often difficult. I believe Snow acquired guys who make sense for the Isles and would fit well into their system, as well as with their coach. But as always, there's risk. I think it's low, but we'll see. I wouldn't count them out of much at this point.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:02 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

All in all...the Isles are far better than we are as far as I'm concernced right now. The reason I brought those 2 guys up was because Fedoruk was running around like a bull against us yet he got his ass absolutley handed to him in the Island

Old
03-01-2007, 06:04 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
The Isles had a much better deadline than we did...and the bottom line is they are a much better team. J...their on a roll and I think they have all the pieces
Our defensemen are a weak point, hopefully Martinek is healthy for the playoffs.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 05:52 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Our defensemen are a weak point, hopefully Martinek is healthy for the playoffs.
Meyer, Witt, Poti (believe it or not), Bergeron, Hill, and Campoli sounds good to me.