HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should try, I mean really try to convert Eller to winger

Old
04-05-2014, 01:40 AM
Guess

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Eller simply has a terribly low hockey IQ and his confidence is fragile. He has a great physical skillset that allows him to carry the puck and protect it. He is absolutely lost without the puck however, this is the reason that he struggles on the wing and in the current system where Therrien stresses dumping the puck.

It is a vicious circle for him as he needs to rebuild his confidence but in order to do that he needs to be able to carry the puck and dictate where the play is headed as opposed to being lost while chasing the play without the instincts to recover the puck. The end result is shattered confidence and tentative play that just leads to more mistakes. I suspect that he would be far more effective in a puck possession type of system. It is no coincidence that his play went down the toilet when Therrien went from a possession system to a dump and chase scheme early in the season.
Really good post, agree with you completely. Eller is at his best when he is manhandling the puck throughout the O zone

Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 07:46 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Just trade him. Completely flubbed that halak trade.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 02:34 PM
ChoseLa

Keep him as a winger till the end of the playoffs and see where that leads to.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 02:44 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
I think we should accept that Eller won't be a top6 center but it doesn't mean we should throw him away like garbage... He can be a versatile 3rd line center, with the occasional flash in the offensive zone and solid play in his own end without looking bad if he ever needs to step up in case of injury.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 12:56 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Any interest in dealing him for something based around Lauri Korpkikoski as the primary return?

Just messing around with ideas that see Ribeiro moved to 1LW, and Arizona picking up a 3C.

Korpikoski is quite big (bulked up a lot over last summer), exceptionally fast (probably the fastest on the team), is excellent defensively (usually our top PK forward), but is inconsistent offensively. Very streaky point getter. Definite feast or famine on offense. Signed long-term.

04-07-2014, 03:35 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Any interest in dealing him for something based around Lauri Korpkikoski as the primary return?

Just messing around with ideas that see Ribeiro moved to 1LW, and Arizona picking up a 3C.

Korpikoski is quite big (bulked up a lot over last summer), exceptionally fast (probably the fastest on the team), is excellent defensively (usually our top PK forward), but is inconsistent offensively. Very streaky point getter. Definite feast or famine on offense. Signed long-term.
Yes, would the Habs be interested in Korpi (with a possible +) for Eller? Korpi should be a better bottom 6 winger option than Eller from the looks of things.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 04:09 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
May as well add Subban and Price in that deal since fans of this team have 0 patience.

Must...win...cup...every...year...with a team of 90pt players.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Just trade him. Completely flubbed that halak trade.
Its easy to criticize the trade now. But I think most would believe that it was a good risk.

Both key players in the trade have underwhelmed their respective organizations. You make calculated moves, but some moves still won't work out.... This one was worth a shot.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 04:48 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 915
Shoud have been converted a winger a long time ago... like in november, and if it were me, I woud have never tried someone with no vision at center, never ever ! That said, Eller is a damn good top 6 player, he's just not a center.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 04:48 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Its easy to criticize the trade now. But I think most would believe that it was a good risk.

Both key players in the trade have underwhelmed their respective organizations. You make calculated moves, but some moves still won't work out.... This one was worth a shot.
My god he's 24 not 30.

Old
04-07-2014, 09:45 PM
LyricalLyricist

IMO if you play him as a checking center package him what gorges or something and get a d pairing for subban.

Just sign a true checking line center. Call me crazy but Eller is a two way forward but he wasn't mastered offense nor defense which is normal. If you play him in a mostly defensively role just get someone who costs less and plays only that role.

Let's be honest, soon he may end up our 4th offensive C once galchenyuk makes the transition. He either learns wing or he's not a fit long term. Good player just he's not a pure checker and he'll never be top
2 because he's not good enough and even with DD gone be can't displace galchenyuk and plek.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote