HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keys to beating Tampa Bay in the first round

Old
04-02-2014, 10:06 PM
habsterr

vCash: 500
3 keys to beating Tampa Bay

-Blocking shots
-More character
-Score 5on5 and secondary scoring

habsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Markov4Captain

Score more than 1 goal a game.

Markov4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

I don't mind if they start in Tampa, myself.

Less pressure.

I don't even care about the rest of the season... just as long as there are no injuries.

Game 1 is the real season.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 10:32 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

If we do not improve our breakouts from our DZone.........and become more aggressive on the forecheck, Tampa Bay will simply out-play us.

Giveaways (number of times a player gives up the puck to opponents)

Tampa Bay D ----------- # ------ (Giveaways per 60 min)

Victor Hedman -- 40 (1.54)
Eric Brewer -- 39 (1.89)
Matthew Carle -- 38 (1.36)
Radko Gudas -- 34 (1.58)
Mark Barberio -- 25 (2.15)
Sami Salo -- 19 (.93)
Michael Kostka -- 6 (1.42)
Keith Aulie -- 1 (.44)

Montreal D

P.K. Subban -- 82 (2.57)
Andrei Markov -- 76 (2.35)
Alexei Emelin -- 40 (2.29)
Francis Bouillon -- 27 (1.91)
Josh Gorges -- 26 (1.17)
Douglas Murray -- 17 (1.35)
Nathan Beaulieu -- 12 (3.46)
Jarred Tinordi -- 9 (1.99)
Mike Weaver -- 1 (.83)

Source

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/st...tatistic/2013/

Therrien's emphasis on "getting the puck out of our zone as fast as possible" will kill us. Puck possession is tough to play against when you do not play a patient, puck possession game.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 11:00 PM
Habit11

Some have mentioned 5 on 5 scoring as a tipping point for the series, so I looked at the Habs' numbers since the Vanek acquisition... Not including empty net goals since Vanek's first game, the Habs' have been outscored 27-26 5 on 5. Average at best. With Vanek in vs. PHX/SJ/BOS the team got crushed 10 - 2 while 5 on 5 those 3 games (not inlcuding the SH goal against vs. SJ).

The optimist can say that since then the Habs' have outscored their opponents 24 - 17 while 5 on 5. The pessimist can point out that they played Buf x2, FLA, CLB, TOR, OTT, and DET who are bubble teams or worse during that positive stretch. They also played COL/BOS/TBay and actually did outscore 4 - 3 while 5 on 5 those 3 games, but I felt they got outplayed pretty badly vs. Bos/Tbay and took a ton of penalties both games.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 11:16 PM
habscup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
If we do not improve our breakouts from our DZone.........and become more aggressive on the forecheck, Tampa Bay will simply out-play us.

Eric Brewer -- 39 (1.89)
Radko Gudas -- 34 (1.58)
Sami Salo -- 19 (.93)
Keith Aulie -- 1 (.44)

Montreal D

P.K. Subban -- 82 (2.57)
Josh Gorges -- 26 (1.17)
Mike Weaver -- 1 (.83)

Source

Therrien's emphasis on "getting the puck out of our zone as fast as possible" will kill us. Puck possession is tough to play against when you do not play a patient, puck possession game.
Giveaway stats are meaningless. Bell Center stats keepers give out giveaways like candy. It varies depending on who is keeping track.

habscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 11:22 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
Giveaway stats are meaningless. Bell Center stats keepers give out giveaways like candy. It varies depending on who is keeping track.
You may say that they are meaningless. Meanwhile, we watch as the Habs D struggles to get the puck out of our zone.

Would you disagree with that assessment that we struggle in our own zone?

Too often, and last night was a very good example, we see our D pitchfork the puck out of our zone only to give up possession to the Bolts who quickly transitioned and entered our zone easily.

And then think how easily the Bolts moved the puck out of their zone last night and maintained possession.

Giveaways are an important stat that relates to possession. And ours are pretty ugly.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:06 AM
Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Habs Fan View Post
Ben Bishop>Carey Price.

Only on the HF Habs board, ladies and gentlemen. Only on the HF Habs board.

Anyway, my keys are:
  • Don't take as many penalties as we did last night (hopefully we have a real ref and not peewee ref Chris Lee handling our series)
  • Gorges back, if not, someone other than Bou with Subban, please, for the love of all that's holy.
  • Play Subban more than 17minutes.
  • Fourth line is healthy (aka. Moen, Weise, Prust)
  • Top line stays hot, others join it
  • Drive the net looking for rebounds
  • Quick lateral movement before shots, Bishop can't handle it
Relatively good analysis, overall, IMO.

Stay clear from offensive zone penalties like Eller got (twice, I believe). Don't really blame Eller that much because Chris Lee was reefing and some calls were borderline, at best. But, still….

Gorges back to play with Subban at even strength and on the PK. gorges can eat up minutes alongside Subban and there would be no reason not to play Subban north of 20 minutes, if not north of 25 minutes. Giving Subban more responsibilities (especially defensively on the PK) will help reign him in so he can play a smarter game overall.

Still, I'd call up Beaulieu who got his act together in Hamilton after the original deception from Tinordi's call-up before his after he had played well during his stint in Montreal. Beaulieu as a 5th D could play on the PP or selectively with Subban in game situations where we are looking for a come from behind goal. Even as a third pairing D, most of the time, he would improve the team's transition game.

Healthy 4th line that continues to show what it had shown before getting injured; solid puck possession, deep in the offensive zone, regardless of the opposing line. If this line pulls that off, even occasionally against the other team's top line, they will tire out (opponent's top line) and the opponent's top line will become more exposed defensively as the game wears on.

Depth with a good fourth line that plays in this style will be HUGE in the playoffs.

Driving the net goes with looking for rebounds. Lateral passes to move the Bolts' hulking G IS essential but, we must shoot and not try to just move the puck laterally all night. rebounds and dirty goals early may help shatter Bishop's confidence.

Vanek-DD-Pacioretty being on fire will hinge on Pacioretty's involvement on the play. If he's playing in your face hockey, it'll be pretty. Otherwise, not so much.

*I was going to fix the typo about Lee reefing instead of Reffing but, it describes his Reffing style appropriately

Scriptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:13 AM
HABS win CUPS*

Prust and Gorge's return to lineup will be key that 4th line was amazing in Prust's last game

HABS win CUPS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 06:52 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You'd think a guy named Gomez91 would know a thing or two about turnovers when entering the zone.
aaaaaaaaand BOOM

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 09:34 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Kadri View Post
Yes, because his new "system" encourages dump-ins and a "simple" game that the team isn't built to play. We should be emphasizing the transition game because we can't win a "grinding" dump-and-chase system due to the lack of size and coordination to dig the puck out 1-on-1.
call me gullible, but i refuse to think that therrien just decided on a whim, to change the system - a system that was very successful in the regular season last year. what i think happened in regards to the system change, is that he noticed that what we had last year was not a system that could be successful in the playoffs with all the extra interference, hooking and every other thing that's no longer called in the playoffs, so he changed to a system which he felt could be more successful. like i said, call me gullible, or just too nice a person, but i refuse to believe this change in system is a simple accident. at any rate, im giving him the benefit of the doubt for this coming playoffs

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 04-03-2014 at 09:57 AM.
MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Avengers*

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bournival-Briere-Gionta
Moen-White/Prust-Weise

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Tinordi/Murray-Weaver

Price
Budaj

Bourque, Parros, Bouillon all sit out

This lineup needs to do the job.

Avengers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 10:55 AM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
call me gullible, but i refuse to think that therrien just decided on a whim, to change the system - a system that was very successful in the regular season last year. what i think happened in regards to the system change, is that he noticed that what we had last year was not a system that could be successful in the playoffs with all the extra interference, hooking and every other thing that's no longer called in the playoffs, so he changed to a system which he felt could be more successful. like i said, call me gullible, or just too nice a person, but i refuse to believe this change in system is a simple accident. at any rate, im giving him the benefit of the doubt for this coming playoffs
Of course playing only transition hockey isn't going to win the Cup, but this team does not have any special ability to play power-on-power consistently because we don't have enough players with strength in the top 6. It is not that Pacioretty can't pull a cycle game off with his linemates as he did with Oshie and Statsny in the Olympics, but DD and Gallagher are simply overpowered. Transition hockey is the primary way this team is going to win games and until the roster accumulates bigger, stronger guys in the Top 6, the product will be the same. We really could have used Jagr since he would provide that in the top 6 but we went for Briere instead.

Dump-and-chase requires US to do more interference, holding, etc to be successful and we don't have the horses to do the job. Dump-and-chase needs big, fast, and skilled players to be successful. We have fast, but we don't have strong or all that much skill.

Never mind that defensively, Therrien's "coaching" never stood out to me as particularly effective even during the hot period last year. Juicy scoring chances have been prevalent since the beginning of his second stint...

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Eric Brewer -- 39 (1.89)
Radko Gudas -- 34 (1.58)
Sami Salo -- 19 (.93)
Keith Aulie -- 1 (.44)

Montreal D

P.K. Subban -- 82 (2.57)
Josh Gorges -- 26 (1.17)
Mike Weaver -- 1 (.83)

Source

Stats seem about right to me.
Tampa and most teams purposely focus on pressuring both PK and Markov.
they will often end up with the turnover stat but quite often not to blame.
with PK it was taken to an extreme last game player(s) in his grill all night.
they had no issues giving cube all room in the world.
in Markov's case Emelin was some help but he wasn't all there.
on the flip side Hedman could skate to the red line before anyone even blinked at him.
i had possesion at about 85% to 15%
it bothers me when i see we can do a pretty good job holding on to the puck 4 on 4 but as soon as we are playing 5 on 5 it goes out the window. our 4 on 4 + - is a good indication of what i am talking about. Hell we're better offensively short handed on occasion.
it leads me to believe there is some fundamental flaw(s) in our system/strategy.

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Hemlor

do whatever the Flames just did

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
Hire Hartley

Old
04-04-2014, 08:22 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
At this point, alot of video review is essential...this is where the coaching staff have to micro-manage and understand what it takes to beat each team...something we didn't seem to do last year vs the Sens...
Habs/Tampa is a hard one to call, gonna be a 6-7 game series...

The Flames went in witn zero pressure, and beat a team that probably took them for granted...pro sports is funny like that at times...the Habs could learn from that video...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 08:48 AM
ROSSter

Keys to beating Tampa:
1. Shadow and shutdown Stamkos
2. Get bodies infront of Bishop
3. Crash the net hard on bishop, rebounds galore.

ROSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 11:28 AM
WestIslander

The Habs will win the series, I am not worried, it will take a minimum of 6 games though.

My only worry is Boston and Philadelphia in the east, both re bigger, nastier and play better in the playoffs than us, a eastern conference final this year would be a successful year in my opinion, get the young kids some experience and get them ready for the future.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
There is a style of hockey I think the French call it imprevisible.
That we ain't...
A little variation might help. I find MT has a very unidimensional coaching style.
I seriously thought the PP was going to improve with the advent of some down low play.
Alas no we seem to be able to create some space but the D keeps putting it back to the half boards.
Or worse trying that miss the net on purpose play.
Still a work in progress one can only assume.

Last edited by Rapala: 04-04-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old
04-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Miller Time

Key to winning in the playoffs : Take a page from L.Lamoriello's book and fire MT before the playoffs...

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Key to winning in the playoffs : Take a page from L.Lamoriello's book and fire MT before the playoffs...
There's a whole 'nother thread for that

Old
04-07-2014, 12:04 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
scott bowman ‏@coachwsb

Montreal and Tampa 2 very well Coached Teams should provide an interesting 1st Rd Matchup Great Goaltending on both teams
Man. What does Scotty Bowman knows about coaching?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
scott bowman ‏@coachwsb

Montreal and Tampa 2 very well Coached Teams should provide an interesting 1st Rd Matchup Great Goaltending on both teams
Scotty had a few too many scotch and sodas before posting this. Or maybe he's senile and thinks its 1989.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 12:10 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Scotty had a few too many scotch and sodas before posting this. Or maybe he's senile and thinks its 1989.
Or maybe. Just maybe, and I'm thinking outside the box for a moment.

Maybe he knows three times more about hockey coaching than you ever hope to learn, and thus actually know what he's speaking about instead of just being an armchair coach. This isn't "I haven't been relevant in the NHL more than one season" Don Cherry we are talking about. This is Scotty ****ing Bowman.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote