HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

General Ball Hockey Thread

Old
04-05-2014, 08:14 AM
YMCMBYOLO
Flames Six Show ****

vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Didn't even know this board existed.

But I've tried to play ball hockey at school regularly throughout the semesters, and I'm gonna be registering for a summer league. I'm really not very good (I really need to work on controlling the ball while moving) but my shot is decent and I can make a good pass when I have space.

Tried playing goalie once, it was horrible. Never again.

Anyways, yeah, not sure what else to post lol. Hello.
If you want to improve your stick handling while moving, there's two things you can do (and they're pretty easy to do).

- Practice stick handling when moving.. keep your head UP
- Play games.

That's really all there is to it. It's just an experience thing, I believe.

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 500
It's official, our goalie has been suspended for Sunday's game so I'll be taking his place in between the pipes.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 08:38 AM
YMCMBYOLO
Flames Six Show ****

vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
It's official, our goalie has been suspended for Sunday's game so I'll be taking his place in between the pipes.
Nice man! I expect a Tim Thomas type of goalie from you who flops everywhere.

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
Nice man! I expect a Tim Thomas type of goalie from you who flops everywhere.
I haven't played goalie since December. Haven't played as a ball hockey goalie for about 2 years now. I have to admit though I am excited to put the gear back on and go out there. I've been running on my knee for the past month so playing goalie shouldn't affect it. Luckily I'm a bit taller then Tim Thomas (6' 3") so hopefully the flopping is kept to a minimum.

Old
04-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
Summer league I played in last year starting up again soon. Hoping I don't get drafted on to a poor team and lose all summer.

04-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Game in about 2 hours. Just finished adjusting and making minor repairs to my goalie equipment. Trying to get the pads fit for ball hockey was a bit more challenging then I thought.

Old
04-06-2014, 04:10 PM
iFishyHD
Bye Adams!

vCash: 595
Quote:
Game in about 2 hours. Just finished adjusting and making minor repairs to my goalie equipment. Trying to get the pads fit for ball hockey was a bit more challenging then I thought.
Be sure to tell us how it goes.

iFishyHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 05:13 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

To put the game in one word I would choose awful. I don't know if it was the sun, the heat, the fact I wasn't on skates, my knee or what but I couldn't have played worse if I tried. I'm so pissed off at the way I played. I didn't come in over confident, I just came in and played awful. I'll be happy to move back up to forward and make an impact there. Score was 8-0.

Old
04-06-2014, 10:48 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Dekeing in ball hockey is not my forte... I deke from a standstill.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 10:52 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Dekeing in ball hockey is not my forte... I deke from a standstill.
I can't deke either so I use my speed/size to go around the defender.

Old
04-07-2014, 01:05 AM
flyersfan018

Just started our dek season on Friday with an exhibition. It's my first time playing on any organized hockey team even though I've watched and played hockey since I was a kid. We won 8-0 with the refs calling the game in the 3rd period. Ended up with a goal and an assist. We play our first official game this Friday so I expect it should be against a much tougher team.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 04:19 AM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

Quote:
To put the game in one word I would choose awful. I don't know if it was the sun, the heat, the fact I wasn't on skates, my knee or what but I couldn't have played worse if I tried. I'm so pissed off at the way I played. I didn't come in over confident, I just came in and played awful. I'll be happy to move back up to forward and make an impact there. Score was 8-0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
Just started our dek season on Friday with an exhibition. It's my first time playing on any organized hockey team even though I've watched and played hockey since I was a kid. We won 8-0 with the refs calling the game in the 3rd period. Ended up with a goal and an assist. We play our first official game this Friday so I expect it should be against a much tougher team.
So uh... How about that?

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 09:20 AM
SMantzas

I'm joining a roller league that starts in May and have a question about wheels. The surface we're playing on is basically a hardwood, similar to a basketball court. Someone recommended I get harder wheels because they wouldn't wear as fast. Can anyone confirm or deny this suggestion?

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 11:02 AM
flyersfan018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
So uh... How about that?
That's funny. Didn't even notice that. Definitely a different team though.

Old
04-07-2014, 12:03 PM
nightfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
I'm joining a roller league that starts in May and have a question about wheels. The surface we're playing on is basically a hardwood, similar to a basketball court. Someone recommended I get harder wheels because they wouldn't wear as fast. Can anyone confirm or deny this suggestion?
It's really more about your style of play. Do you like more control in your turns and such or are you just after pure speed? Also, your body weight plays into it a little bit too. Softer = slower but more control, harder = faster. Wheel size also plays a factor (more so than wheel hardness) in speed.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 01:38 PM
SMantzas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
It's really more about your style of play. Do you like more control in your turns and such or are you just after pure speed? Also, your body weight plays into it a little bit too. Softer = slower but more control, harder = faster. Wheel size also plays a factor (more so than wheel hardness) in speed.
I'm 6 '2 ~190 pounds and like to play a pretty quick game. Are there wheel size charts?

Old
04-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Nibbler

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
there is a chart at the top of this page that might help:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/inskate-wheels.html

as far as the sizes you should use... typically your chassis on your skates is designed to use a specific configuration. some might allow you to put a different size wheel in there, but you'll have to watch out when increasing the size of your wheel because they might not fit.

I use 2 80mm in the back and 2 76mm in the front. I think bigger wheels allow you to skate a bit further with the same amount of effort as smaller wheels, they also help with turning at higher speeds.

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 04:32 PM
SMantzas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
there is a chart at the top of this page that might help:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/inskate-wheels.html

as far as the sizes you should use... typically your chassis on your skates is designed to use a specific configuration. some might allow you to put a different size wheel in there, but you'll have to watch out when increasing the size of your wheel because they might not fit.

I use 2 80mm in the back and 2 76mm in the front. I think bigger wheels allow you to skate a bit further with the same amount of effort as smaller wheels, they also help with turning at higher speeds.
Thanks a lot!

Old
04-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Weber6
Shea Weber

How should I absolutely become a beast behind the net and in the crease (screening the goalie)

I'm not the biggest or the strongest or the fastest guy but I have a grinders mentality in that I love being around the crease and crashing the crease trying to get rebound goals or garbage goals.

Also, any way to perfect the Geno power move (One hand shielding a defender one hand on the stick) ?

Weber6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 09:59 PM
flyersfan018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weber6 View Post
How should I absolutely become a beast behind the net and in the crease (screening the goalie)

I'm not the biggest or the strongest or the fastest guy but I have a grinders mentality in that I love being around the crease and crashing the crease trying to get rebound goals or garbage goals.
Behind the net? Keep yourself between the ball and your defender at all times. Keep a low center of gravity so the defender doesn't try and power you off the ball.

In the crease? Predict where the ball is gonna be. This comes with experience usually. Make sure you have good body position so you're always the first one on the ball.

Old
04-07-2014, 10:25 PM
nightfighter

Quote:

Also, any way to perfect the Geno power move (One hand shielding a defender one hand on the stick) ?
It's harder to do that shield move when you're running and you can't use your shin to block low sweeping sticks since your legs are always moving. But one move my teammates do a lot is when they go to power by somebody along the boards or are looking to spin off a check, they'll actually use their lead leg and kick away the defender's stick, which gives a brief opening for you to exploit. Try it next time

In terms of being a good net presence...speaking as a goalie, the guys that cause me the most trouble are actually the ones that have good hand eye and can create tips and deflections. Better hand eye also lets you track and corral rebounds quicker than the goalie can (in theory). Of course you also have to be fearless and willing to take a lot of punishment.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Weber6
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
It's harder to do that shield move when you're running and you can't use your shin to block low sweeping sticks since your legs are always moving. But one move my teammates do a lot is when they go to power by somebody along the boards or are looking to spin off a check, they'll actually use their lead leg and kick away the defender's stick, which gives a brief opening for you to exploit. Try it next time

In terms of being a good net presence...speaking as a goalie, the guys that cause me the most trouble are actually the ones that have good hand eye and can create tips and deflections. Better hand eye also lets you track and corral rebounds quicker than the goalie can (in theory). Of course you also have to be fearless and willing to take a lot of punishment.
Thanks for the tip I'll be sure to try that one out.

And yeah even during assessments I was getting my legs hacked at by the goalie and defenders got a few scratches but its worth it for a goal/win in the season.

Weber6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 10:54 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Thanks for the tip I'll be sure to try that one out.

And yeah even during assessments I was getting my legs hacked at by the goalie and defenders got a few scratches but its worth it for a goal/win in the season.
A few points to consider:

- The power move... Like the other guy said, you can't glide so it's not as simple. You can do it though, its just not as easy. I'm pretty successful at it because I set it up. So basically, if I'm coming in on a guy and I'm planning to do it, I'm faking inside with a head, shoulder etc. to make him lean that way.

Then I go into the shield. You have to really commit to it, almost like cutting someone off in your car. The tough thing is that at high levels, defenders have pretty good awareness with their sticks and they tend to make a decent poke at the ball which you can't really stop. So be ready for the poke and react to it, then you should be gone.

Three games tonight for me.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post

Three games tonight for me.
Three games? I'd be leaving on a stretcher. My legs would refuse to work. Only one game for me tonight. have to catch a bus pretty much right after class. After the goaltending debacle I'm looking forward to getting back on forward and proving my worth to my team tonight.

Here's a question for anyone. I'm a lefty in hockey and play on the left wing. Do other lefty's find it easier to play left wing or right wing. It would be opposite for righty's. My favourite/most used move is a power move down the side of the boards then cutting to the middle if that matters.

Old
04-08-2014, 01:30 PM
flyersfan018

Quote:
Here's a question for anyone. I'm a lefty in hockey and play on the left wing. Do other lefty's find it easier to play left wing or right wing. It would be opposite for righty's. My favourite/most used move is a power move down the side of the boards then cutting to the middle if that matters.
I'm a lefty and have only ever played on the left wing. I find it easier for me on the left side especially since I consider myself more of a playmaker. I can make plays without being stuck on my backhand too much. I also like to use my speed on the outsides to my advantage so I prefer to be on my forehand for that.