Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If It Is Any Consolation

Old
02-25-2007, 02:32 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
If It Is Any Consolation

It was mentioned by Hrudey last night, that San Jose was several points out of a playoff spot at the trade deadline last year.

They didn't fire any coaches, or make any drastic wholesale changes just prior to the playoffs. The Flames may not be performing exactly the way we want them to right now, but hanging in there, is really the only choice we have.

For a bit of an analysis, lets look at this years Flames position by position.

Goal - Go to guy, exactly the same
Backup - McLennan vs Boucher (I would take McLennan)

Defence - Most of the same people here that were there last year.
Stuart better than Leopold.
Warrener injury/performance is a concern.

Forwards - Huge improvement in talent.
Flames now an offensively gifted team.
Defensive game needs some work.

Coaching - Changes here - people screaming for Playfairs head.
Too late to be making any wholesale changes.
Ride it out - the personnel are here.

Overall, this team is a much more gifted one than the team we sent to the playoffs last year. This team can look like world beaters, or crap depending on the night. Do they have people who have what it takes to win in the playoffs? Without a doubt. Do I believe the team will realize they need to put it together in the playoffs and become more disciplined? Yes, I believe they will. Other teams went through very similar performances last year on the way to the playoffs. If they suck, and don't make the playoffs, or falter right out of the gate, then you should be talking about wholesale changes. Now is not the time and it will not accomplish anything useful.

Comparing this team to last years is not even close.

Iggy with a breakout.....right now, his 1.39 ppg ave is second only to Crosby.

Langkow with a breakout.....best year ever, and he has 20 games to play.

Huselius with a breakout.....a second line wing likely to score 30 plus goals.

Tanguay being Tanguay.....has provided spark on the top line, and ever dangerous.

Lombardi with a breakout...best ever goals, and he has 20 games to play.

Flames have four players with about point per game average or better.

Conroy returns and averages about a point per game since.

The coaching has had something to do with the offensive breakout of this team. There are many many elements to this team which have experienced substantial improvement.

The question remains, can the Flames revert to the defensive stalwart they were when the chips are down?

If so, does Kipper provide them with the goaltending they are accustomed to?

This is where the discipline, system and bounce back of the team will determine the outcome.

If the Flames can suck it up, and play the defensive game we know they are capable of when they need to, they will win their share. If not, they will be losers. The answer lies in the players themselves. The tools are there - will they decide to use them or not?

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

SJ won like 17/20 to get to the Playoffs.

I feel we're a lock for the playoffs since Edmonton lost today, and Vancouver is going through a good streak, but sooner or later, they're going to have to suck. The flames hopes depend all on Kipper, and if he can stay focused, and not be worn out throughout the playoffs.

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:38 PM
abracanada

I should add the Flames are now the 9th team on the power play. They have moved right along as the year went on.

Old
02-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Bardo Thodol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary View Post
Vancouver is going through a good streak, but sooner or later, they're going to have to suck.
Vancouver have been playing at a high level of play for awhile now. I don't think it's a streak.

Bardo Thodol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardo Thodol View Post
Vancouver have been playing at a high level of play for awhile now. I don't think it's a streak.
i think he just meant that soone ror later they will slump because every team slumps a little

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:42 PM
chriss_co

everyone rags this team about the reversal of style from a defensive minded team to a more open offensive system (which has led to alot of blown leads)

but if you look at last year's playoffs, the successful teams were those who could skate and run and gun.. who knows, if we get in, this could be our year (again)

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardo Thodol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
i think he just meant that soone ror later they will slump because every team slumps a little
Yeah.

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 03:10 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co View Post
everyone rags this team about the reversal of style from a defensive minded team to a more open offensive system (which has led to alot of blown leads)

but if you look at last year's playoffs, the successful teams were those who could skate and run and gun.. who knows, if we get in, this could be our year (again)
they were also teams that worked hard, and bought into a defensive system... yes even the oilers bought into a defensive system

they may have been able to run and gun but the Oilers only allowed 2.54 goals per game and Carolina allowed 2.40 while both scored 2.92 goals per game...

for a team to be succesful they have to be strong defensively and capitalize on their offensive opportunities... i'm not worried about the flames capitalizing come playoff time cause their team shooting percentage is 3rd in the league... they need to bear down defensively or it will be a short playoff

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 08:53 AM
abracanada

Agreed. Incidentally, the Flames are now fifth in scoring in the league. After a slow start, they are now one of the best offensive teams in the league.

Old
02-28-2007, 10:25 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
since i'm still too angry to cheer for my own team today... i think the flames are a team that's much more apt to do some damage in the playoffs this year than they were last year. you've still got kipper, you've still got a strong defence, but the biggest change from last year is that Iginla finally has some offensive support.

yeah, i'm sure the flames aren't as high in the standings as they could be right now, but you've got a few games left against the oilers which are pretty much guaranteed-blowout nights now, so those points will help.

anyways, i'd love to see at least one team from alberta go far this spring, and since the oilers have officially waved the white flag for this season... um... go flames!

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:31 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
since i'm still too angry to cheer for my own team today... i think the flames are a team that's much more apt to do some damage in the playoffs this year than they were last year. you've still got kipper, you've still got a strong defence, but the biggest change from last year is that Iginla finally has some offensive support.

yeah, i'm sure the flames aren't as high in the standings as they could be right now, but you've got a few games left against the oilers which are pretty much guaranteed-blowout nights now, so those points will help.

anyways, i'd love to see at least one team from alberta go far this spring, and since the oilers have officially waved the white flag for this season... um... go flames!
Thanks for that. Pretty classy thing to say.

Old
02-28-2007, 11:26 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post

When it comes to the Flames on the road this season, there is no such thing as a guaranteed blowout. But we're keeping our fingers crossed.

Thanks for the kind words.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote