HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Speculation is over - win 12 games + 1 OTL in 19 left or play golf

Old
02-28-2007, 12:38 PM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Speculation is over - win 12 games + 1 OTL in 19 left or play golf

The speculation is now over:

The team is set. Trades have been made. Players have been cut & claimed.

How will it look down the line the final 19 games & how will they end?

The team:
Forwards - Jagr, Straka, Hossa, Avery, Nylander, Prucha, Shanny (IR), Cullen, Ortmeyer, Ibister, Betts, Hollweg, Orr, Immonen are the forwards
Will someone else get a callup?

Maybe lines something like this (after Shanny ev comes back???):
Hossa - Straka - Jagr
Avery - Nylander - Shanny
Prucha - Cullen - Ortmeyer
Hollweg - Betts - Ibister/Orr (depending on competition)

Reserve: Immonen

Not too bad actually. This looks a lot like the beginning of the year - adding Ortmeyer and Avery though. If they definitely fall out of the race 1-2 from Hartford should dress and play in the final games

Defense is also interesting. We got what we got.

Roszival - Malik
Mara - Tyutin
Rachunek - Girardi

Pck

In goal - it would be interesting to test Montoya a few games if Ranmgers are out of the PO picture. Otherwise I guess Henrik is going to play every game down the line (hopefully as if it is his last one...) until they break or bust. Valiquette was not a nice option it seemed.

If we make the playoffs (and he plays "well" in Hartford) - I would consider calling up Kaspar as 7th defender to add edge and experience. Probably not gonna happen anyway though.

Rangers have 19 games left with 66 points now. Need at least 25 points to squeeze into PO position in my opinion and according to my final prediction. Which should match reality. Buffalo, NJ Devils, Ottawa, Pittsburgh and Tampa seem to be in. Rangers fight it out with Atlanta, NY Isles, Montreal, Toronto, Carolina and Boston for last 3 spots. It will be a tough and interesting finale. Atlanta should make it now with their desperado upgrade - but it also often means :choke choke:
Maybe Rangers and Isles both make it in - but they need to make every game they meet each others (4 times remaining) a 3 pointer then.

Mar 1 PIT Must WIN
Mar 3 STL WIN
Mar 5 NYI WIN
Mar 8 @NYI OTL
Mar 10 @PIT LOSS
Mar 11 CAR Must WIN
Mar 13 OTT LOSS
Mar 16 @ATL LOSS
Mar 17 BOS WIN
Mar 19 PIT WIN
Mar 21 PHI WIN
Mar 24 @BOS WIN
Mar 25 @NYI LOSS
Mar 27 @MON WIN
Mar 31 @PHI WIN
Apr 1 TOR WIN
Apr 3 @NYI LOSS
Apr 5 MON WIN
Apr 7 @PIT LOSS

12-6-1
Still possible - but how probable. Far too many ourageously unnecessary losses like Philadelphia & Columbus cloud the way to the playoffs.

However - Philadelphia is in last place & the goon Brashears Caps will also be on the golf course come May. At least some consolation.

Thoughts or opinions?

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:48 PM
94now

We can beat Fishsticks at Mausoleum. We can loose to to others at home.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:50 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post

Thoughts or opinions?
i've said i all along.... losing the first 4 games vs. the fish will wind up being the difference between getting in and not making it. IF we were able to split those games, the rangers would be 2 points out of 8th and the islanders would eb 2 behind us.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:51 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
No need more than that. Carolina is in 9th right now with 71 points and 17 to play. if they go 9-8 in the thick of a playoff race that gives them 89 points. Montreal is in 8th with 72 points and 16 to play, if they go 8-8 in the thick of a playoff chase that gives them 88 points. Toronto is in 10th with 69 points and 18 to play. if they go 9-9 in the thick of a playoff chase that gives them 87 points. Get my point here....If we go 12-6-1 in our 19 to play, that gives us 91 points. If you think we're going to go 12-6-1 AND have every single team thats fighting for the playoffs play .500 hockey you're nuts. We need to go 14-5 AND get help. It's over boys. We're not that far out of the playoffs but theres too many teams to jump over not to mention two keys players are hurt. I can't do it anymore, I won't be tricked into thinking we're going to make it this year like i've done for the past decade.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:55 PM
ThirdEye

Yeh, I think it's something like a 10% chance that we'll actually land a spot. I'm not expecting anything since there is no way the Rangers are going to go 14-5 in the next 19

I hope they still play every game like they actually want to win though

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Blueshirt Special

but I paid for my playoff tix!

They gotta make it!!

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:08 PM
shoothepuck

The problem is that NY has 10 of the reamaining games at home, and at under 500 all season long, that's 5 losses off the bat, just at home. They need to play better, and go on a 6-7 game win streak starting now, to get the momentum needed to pull this off. Lesser teams have strung together a few good win streaks, now it's up to NY to do it.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Prucha25Graves988*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Roszival - Malik
Mara - Tyutin
Rachunek - Girardi
Why in the world would they split up Tyutin and Girardi for they been looking great together with Girardi getting better and better and Tyutin already prooving he can be a 1st pairing guy.

So i would assume these pairings.

Roszival - Malik
Girardi- Tyutin
Rachunek - Mara

makes sense, why would you change the tyutin pair, well, to me it makes no sense. then again Mara is a 1st pairing player so who the hell knows.

This mororn Renney needs to leave people together and let them get use to weach other, especially 2 young guys with very good potential, Toots and DG should be kept together.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:20 PM
JRGNYR

Those games against the Islanders are must wins. 4 games, 16 points (if you consider them 4 point games).

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:25 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
No need more than that. Carolina is in 9th right now with 71 points and 17 to play. if they go 9-8 in the thick of a playoff race that gives them 89 points. Montreal is in 8th with 72 points and 16 to play, if they go 8-8 in the thick of a playoff chase that gives them 88 points. Toronto is in 10th with 69 points and 18 to play. if they go 9-9 in the thick of a playoff chase that gives them 87 points. Get my point here....If we go 12-6-1 in our 19 to play, that gives us 91 points. If you think we're going to go 12-6-1 AND have every single team thats fighting for the playoffs play .500 hockey you're nuts. We need to go 14-5 AND get help. It's over boys. We're not that far out of the playoffs but theres too many teams to jump over not to mention two keys players are hurt. I can't do it anymore, I won't be tricked into thinking we're going to make it this year like i've done for the past decade.
If Atlanta is in (which they may not be) and you think The Sticks are in too - that leaves 3 teams (+ Rangers & ev Boston) fighting for the last slot.

Hmm - I will start with Montreal that are btw 4-8 in their last 12 games (Rangers are 5-5-2)

Mar 2 @BUF LOSS
Mar 3 @BOS WIN
Mar 8 @ATL LOSS
Mar 10 @STL WIN
Mar 13 NYI LOSS
Mar 16 @PIT LOSS
Mar 17 TOR OTL
Mar 20 BOS WIN
Mar 22 @BOS WIN
Mar 24 WAS WIN
Mar 27 NYR LOSS
Mar 30 @OTT LOSS
Mar 31 BUF LOSS
Apr 3 BOS WIN
Apr 5 @NYR LOSS
Apr 7 @TOR WIN

7 - 8 - 1
16 games remaining
33 - 27 - 6 now
Total 40 - 35 - 7
87 points
Definitely possible
Even probable

Move on to Carolina - they are 6-5-1 last 12 games
They have a tough schedule ahead as well

Feb 28 @OTT LOSS
Mar 2 PIT LOSS
Mar 4 @ATL WIN
Mar 9 @WAS WIN
Mar 11 @NYR LOSS
Mar 13 FLA WIN
Mar 15 NJ LOSS
Mar 17 @NJ LOSS
Mar 22 WAS WIN
Mar 24 SJ LOSS
Mar 27 @TOR WIN
Mar 28 @PHI WIN
Mar 30 TB LOSS
Apr 1 @FLA WIN
Apr 3 @TB WIN
Apr 6 ATL LOSS
Apr 7 FLA WIN

9 - 8 - 0
17 games remaining
32 - 26 - 7 now
Total 41 - 35 - 7
89 points
Possible - but maybe not totally probable

Finally to Toronto
They are 5-4-3 in last 12 games

Mar 2 @NJ LOSS
Mar 3 BUF WIN
Mar 6 WAS WIN
Mar 8 @OTT LOSS
Mar 10 OTT WIN
Mar 13 TB LOSS
Mar 16 @WAS WIN
Mar 17 @MON WIN
Mar 20 NJ LOSS
Mar 23 @BUF LOSS
Mar 24 BUF WIN
Mar 27 CAR LOSS
Mar 29 @ATL OTL
Mar 31 PIT WIN
Apr 1 @NYR LOSS
Apr 3 PHI WIN
Apr 5 @NYI WIN
Apr 7 MON LOSS

9 - 8 - 1
18 games remaining
They are now: 30-25-9
Total 39 - 33 - 10
88 points

This is not an impossible scenario
Atlanta could very well be dragged into it as well...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:28 PM
clmetsfan

If Girardi keeps playing like he did last night, then I want to see more of Pock believe it or not.

I've been a fan of Dan-o ever since he came up, and yes this was the first game that he looked really awful, but he seems to be having more lapses lately. There were a couple of instances last night where he just let a guy skate right past him into the zone while barely even making him go around.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:55 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
i've said i all along.... losing the first 4 games vs. the fish will wind up being the difference between getting in and not making it. IF we were able to split those games, the rangers would be 2 points out of 8th and the islanders would eb 2 behind us.
The reason NYI beat us was they had a better goalie in those games. It is no longer so. Lundqvist played well last night. No rebounds, good net coverage. He had some quality shots that would resulted in goals should MTL played us in Nov. Believe we can beat Sticks if Lundy plays the same. That might not be enough to make it.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:58 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

This is going to be difficult. That 4 game road trip and the fact that 6 of the last 8 are on the road make it a very tough task.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
This is going to be difficult. That 4 game road trip and the fact that 6 of the last 8 are on the road make it a very tough task.
I beg to differ, they have played much much better on thr road than they have at the Garden, so if anything it could make it slightly easier.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:02 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
I beg to differ, they have played much much better on thr road than they have at the Garden, so if anything it could make it slightly easier.

This is true, I hadn't thought about that.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:21 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
The reason NYI beat us was they had a better goalie in those games. It is no longer so. Lundqvist played well last night. No rebounds, good net coverage. He had some quality shots that would resulted in goals should MTL played us in Nov. Believe we can beat Sticks if Lundy plays the same. That might not be enough to make it.
They also have a much better team than they used to, as well.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:26 PM
TheRedressor

If the Rangers can pull the miracle of winning the next 4 games (Pitt, Stl, NYI, NYI) they will make the playoffs.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Blueblood 2

Renney is still making the decisions. That is good for 6 losses by itself. Very tough handicap to overcome when playing in a no handicap league without Shanahan's leadership.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:37 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
If the Rangers can pull the miracle of winning the next 4 games (Pitt, Stl, NYI, NYI) they will make the playoffs.
I'd be happy if they find a way to go 3-1 over the next 4. That would make for a 5-1 stretch. They don't need to win 6 games in a row, but they will need to put together a couple 4 game streaks if they're gonna have a good chance.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:39 PM
TheRedressor

Heres the thing, we can afford to lose one of the Pitt/Stl games, but if we lose 1 against the Islanders, its going to be very hard on ourselves.

Old
02-28-2007, 02:49 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha25Graves988 View Post
Why in the world would they split up Tyutin and Girardi for they been looking great together with Girardi getting better and better and Tyutin already prooving he can be a 1st pairing guy.

So i would assume these pairings.

Roszival - Malik
Girardi- Tyutin
Rachunek - Mara

makes sense, why would you change the tyutin pair, well, to me it makes no sense. then again Mara is a 1st pairing player so who the hell knows.

This mororn Renney needs to leave people together and let them get use to weach other, especially 2 young guys with very good potential, Toots and DG should be kept together.

from what ive read on the boston forum mara is an offensive d-man forced into a dfensive d role where he.. hmm.. wasnt good at. going by that if paired with rachunek, itd be open floodgates

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:52 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Small margin of error here. While the Rangers certainly have the skills to win many of these games... the bigger question is: do they have the heart to go all the way?

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:02 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
It's not impossible, but I predict all of those will be very high scoring. Islanders always seem to find a way to score, so if they Rangers take that night off we're doomed. Realistically I think they will go 2-2 in those 4 games, losing one to NY and one to Pitt

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:04 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
Small margin of error here. While the Rangers certainly have the skills to win many of these games... the bigger question is: do they have the heart to go all the way?
The problem is they have generally not been able to put together streaks of 4 or 5 wins...or even 3 for that matter. I think it will be difficult for them to do, but if by some miracle they get it done they would certainly be primed for a playoff run. But that's a huge if...I mean how often do .500 teams start playing lights out hockey?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:06 PM
TheRedressor

Well this is definetly on Jagr's shoulders here. He must carry them offensively against his old team.