HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dupuis and a 3rd to Atlanta for Alex Bourret

Old
02-28-2007, 11:40 AM
in the hall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Ok so what you're saying is you think it's a good idea to move a third line player for a guy who might be a third line player someday?
i don't know what you guys are arguing about but that statement seems like you're trying to pull some kind of **** out of your ass to support your side

bourett may also become a first liner someday

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:52 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
i don't know what you guys are arguing about but that statement seems like you're trying to pull some kind of **** out of your ass to support your side

bourett may also become a first liner someday
Yes he may become a first liner...and he may become Josef Balej.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:53 AM
in the hall

Quote:
exactly.. awesome trade

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
And if he does beome Balej, so what? The potential that he could beome a first liner (or even second or third liner) is worth more to me than Pascal Dupuis.

Bourret was rated as Atlanta's top prospect by HF. And the Rangers got him for an third-line UFA to be and a third round pick. Not sure how you can't like that.

02-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Pizza

Ok, yeah I guess that's possible. What would you have done Dave?

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:03 PM
ish

I was dead wrong obviously but I was mad in 2005 when we took Staal over Bourret. I am positively thrilled. Atlanta better get to the conference finals at least for Waddel to justify this and the Coburn move.

ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Not only did this move and the Mara move not hurt this team's chance in making the playoffs this season, but helps Hartford for their playoff push as well. Bourret will add even more young talent and scoring ability to an already extremly strong Hartford lineup. Also we now have a PP QB in Mara, which will help the Rangers PP and if he can return to his form from last season (47pts) he will be a HUGE help (Not to mention he is younger). I think he was not used properly in Boston and that's why his #'s suffered.

Two moves helped the Rangers now AND for the future AS WELL AS helped Hartford out for their playoff push as well. Great deals all around imo.
And you feel confident Tom Renney will use him properly?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:16 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
And you feel confident Tom Renney will use him properly?

lol ah crap... lol

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
lol ah crap... lol

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:29 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
lmao

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Edge

Quote:
Ok so what you're saying is you think it's a good idea to move a third line player for a guy who might be a third line player someday?
Depends on the names involved, not all third players are equal.

If we're talking about a guy who is a pretty average third line player and 27 for a guy who could be a better third line player (and more) yeah I do it.

We are talking about Dupuis here Dave, not Madden or Lehtinen, we are talking about a guy we got for Adam Hall, whom we got for Dominic Moore, who was just traded for a mid round draft pick.

Bourret is a kid who is 20 years old, was a big scorer in juniors with an edge and who is one of the youngest players in the aHL and is actually outperforming many of our prospects right now.

Yeah he might "only" be a third line player, but if he devlopes I still think he'd be better than Dupuis who {in all honesty} is pretty much a dime a dozen player. But Bourret could also be a 25 goal goal second line RW as well, something Dupuis was not likely going to be.

Bourret is a pretty dang good prospect, don't underestimate him. He might not be on the level of a Jordan Staal or Nathan Horton, but the kid is very talented and is still VERY young.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:26 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
It's not a question of what would I have done, this may turn out to be a good trade. Then again it may not, so I think I'm going to wait and see before I fall in love with the trade like so many have here. And with Renney's track record of using young talent, who knows if/when this kid will get the chance to show us it was a good trade?

Old
02-28-2007, 01:33 PM
NewYorkStranger

Quote:
Actually, seems he is saying you don't move a 3rd line player for a 20 year old with 2nd line upside that at worst turns out to be a better third liner than the guy you traded him for.

NewYorkStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Edge

Quote:
It's not a question of what would I have done, this may turn out to be a good trade. Then again it may not, so I think I'm going to wait and see before I fall in love with the trade like so many have here. And with Renney's track record of using young talent, who knows if/when this kid will get the chance to show us it was a good trade?
Are you seriously going to be that cautious about trading Pascal freakin Dupuis?

We didn't just trade John Madden here.

This team finally trades a vet for a pretty good young prospect and this is a discussion we get?

Pascal Dupuis, Dave, Pascal Dupuis.

Old
02-28-2007, 01:50 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Are you seriously going to be that cautious about trading Pascal freakin Dupuis?

We didn't just trade John Madden here.

This team finally trades a vet for a pretty good young prospect and this is a discussion we get?

Pascal Dupuis, Dave, Pascal Dupuis.
I hear ya, and I agree Dupuis was expendable. But what if...Bourret never makes it out of the AHL. Is it still a good trade?

I guess I just don't trust Sather to make a sound hockey decision anymore.

Old
02-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Edge

But Dave in fairness you can say that about any trade.

I mean what if we trade for Nathan Horton and he gets hurt and retires?

The thing every move is a calculated risk, but you try to make ones that have the better chances for payoff.

Dupuis is and most likely will always be a pretty average third line player. When all is said and done he isn't a player we gave up value to get and he's a player who we could probably replace without too much difficulty.

In return we got a guy who a year and half removed from being a first round pick, was voted as the Thrashers best prospect at the start of the year and won't even be 21 till Halloween.

Could he fail completely? Sure, but for Pascal Dupuis you take those odds. For Petr Prucha, no I don't make the move, but for Dupuis? You bet.

Old
02-28-2007, 01:58 PM
nedved93

Quote:
I hear ya, and I agree Dupuis was expendable. But what if...Bourret never makes it out of the AHL. Is it still a good trade?

I guess I just don't trust Sather to make a sound hockey decision anymore.
its a strategically sound hockey decision that is consistent with the organization's alleged desire to build a homegrown core of aggressive, highly competitive players.

you have just traded a middling, 27 year old 3rd line player on the last year of his current deal for a 20 year old who has the skill to be a top 6 winger and plays with the kind of sandpaper and intensity that will allow him to fit quite nicely with hartford's core, which in time will hopefully be the core of the rangers.

i believe someone here described this trade as a no-risk, high reward deal - i think that's the most appropriate characterization. at worst, bourret never makes it out of the AHL and we would've spent a 3rd round pick and 20 games of dupuis' service on bourret's fairly high potential. i'd say this is a deal that demonstrates the organization's commitment to not repeat the mistakes of the past.

nedved93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:07 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
But Dave in fairness you can say that about any trade.

I mean what if we trade for Nathan Horton and he gets hurt and retires?

The thing every move is a calculated risk, but you try to make ones that have the better chances for payoff.

Dupuis is and most likely will always be a pretty average third line player. When all is said and done he isn't a player we gave up value to get and he's a player who we could probably replace without too much difficulty.

In return we got a guy who a year and half removed from being a first round pick, was voted as the Thrashers best prospect at the start of the year and won't even be 21 till Halloween.

Could he fail completely? Sure, but for Pascal Dupuis you take those odds. For Petr Prucha, no I don't make the move, but for Dupuis? You bet.
Trading for a Horton who gets hurt is a one thing, and not really relevant here. Trading for a Forsberg who gets hurt (or a Bure) is a different story.

I think this is a decent trade. I'm just not ready to call Bourret our next superstar yet, like so many have. The guy MAY make it to the NHL. Time will tell.

And even if he does, when will Renney give him a real chance anyway?

Old
02-28-2007, 02:09 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Dupuis was not going to be back next season.He was a Ranger for 18 days

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Draft Guru

I just can not fathom how anyone can not love this trade. Like Edge said, Dupuis is a dime a dozen. He was never in our future plans. We have 3 or 4 players in Hartford who could step in right now and take his spot.

You don't think twice about adding a player with Bourret's potential for Pascal Dupuis.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Nich

Quote:
Trading for a Horton who gets hurt is a one thing, and not really relevant here. Trading for a Forsberg who gets hurt (or a Bure) is a different story.

I think this is a decent trade. I'm just not ready to call Bourret our next superstar yet, like so many have. The guy MAY make it to the NHL. Time will tell.

And even if he does, when will Renney give him a real chance anyway?
dude you are arguing both sides. you never know what would happen with a trade. you never know if the players you get or give up will pan out, but you do it as a organization. we needed young players with top end talent, and he has it. we have tons of 3rd and 4th line players, so we dealt from strength. the fact that they did that alone makes us a winner in this trade. just give it up and take a perc....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:19 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
dude you are arguing both sides. you never know what would happen with a trade. you never know if the players you get or give up will pan out, but you do it as a organization. we needed young players with top end talent, and he has it. we have tons of 3rd and 4th line players, so we dealt from strength. the fact that they did that alone makes us a winner in this trade. just give it up and take a perc....
Yeah, maybe I am, and that's because I do think it's a decent trade, but I'm not ready to declare Bourret a 1st line RW like others have. I guess it's because I just don't trust Sather at all. All I'm saying is let's wait and see...but I guess that's not good enough for you.

I have an idea...how about acknowledging that someone may have an opinion other than your own? There's a new concept for ya. I love how people on here get so defensive when you disagree with them. It's hockey man, lighten up.

Old
02-28-2007, 02:26 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
I should get a look at Bourret tonight in Hartford! Can't wait.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:29 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Yeah, maybe I am, and that's because I do think it's a decent trade, but I'm not ready to declare Bourret a 1st line RW like others have. I guess it's because I just don't trust Sather at all. All I'm saying is let's wait and see...
Would you agree that if he becomes a 2nd line RW the deal would be a a good one? I'd say that's what we hope for, and if by dumb luck or a miracle he turns out to be a 1st liner it was a rediculous deal for us.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:38 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Yeah, maybe I am, and that's because I do think it's a decent trade, but I'm not ready to declare Bourret a 1st line RW like others have. I guess it's because I just don't trust Sather at all. All I'm saying is let's wait and see...but I guess that's not good enough for you.

I have an idea...how about acknowledging that someone may have an opinion other than your own? There's a new concept for ya. I love how people on here get so defensive when you disagree with them. It's hockey man, lighten up.
I don't think anyone has called Bourret a future superstar or a future 1st-line RW like you're saying. All that's been said is that people love his upside.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote