HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jesper Fast

Old
04-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Raspewtin
Adderall Admiral

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
So is it true he's like a Hagelin with a better shot?
He goes a little more out of his way for contact than Hagelin too.

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
So is it true he's like a Hagelin with a better shot?
That's incorrect.

He's actually not much like Hagelin at all.

The misconception arises because of their speed.

Fast controls the puck better, has better vision over the ice, has a much better shot, much better pass, and is defensively more sound than Hagelin.

Hagelin is slightly faster and a better forechecker.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 10:41 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Heisenberg View Post
That's incorrect.

He's actually not much like Hagelin at all.

The misconception arises because of their speed.

Fast controls the puck better, has better vision over the ice, has a much better shot, much better pass, and is defensively more sound than Hagelin.

Hagelin is slightly faster and a better forechecker.
So closer to Zucc? So is Fast's upside a good 2nd liner?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Raspewtin
Adderall Admiral

Quote:
So closer to Zucc? So is Fast's upside a good 2nd liner?
Probably a 20-30 guy. 25 goals max IMO. Not nearly as talented as Zucc. I feel Hagelin has better puck possession skills.

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Probably a 20-30 guy. 25 goals max IMO. Not nearly as talented as Zucc. I feel Hagelin has better puck possession skills.
Fast's ceiling is likely 20-25 goals with 25-30 assists.

Zucc is truly special with his vision on the ice. To even put the two in the same breath, in that sense, would be foolish.

Comparing him to Hagelin though, he definitely sees the ice better. Hagelin has tunnel vision, sees and reacts to what is directly in front of him. Fast has a greater ability to keep his head up and comprehend what is happening around him. Hagelin rarely, if ever, makes a pass that others aren't expecting, that generates an offensive scoring chance as a result.

Fast has a greater ability to do that. Fast also has a good one timer. He's used on Hartford's powerplay and they benefit from his shot.

But yes, Fast is not as good at possessing the puck. He's good with sending it where he wants it to go, for the most part, but Hagelin has an uncanny ability to track down the puck and possess it. He makes it difficult for opposing players to take the puck away from him, especially when he is behind the net. Hagelin's strength lies within puck retrieval, stretching the ice with his speed, possessing the puck in the offensive zone, rotating the puck up and down the boards, penalty killing, forechecking, etc. Fast's role is different.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayHustle View Post
So I know you and a couple others watch a lot of HFD, and it was asked before if the injury has affected his speed at all. What do you think?
I am not sure why, whether it's the injury or the youth, but he has been somewhat inconsistent, particularly on offense this season. There are games or even weeks where he's just a beast, then he disappears. The good news is that he still is a good player even when he doesn't score.

Quote:
Even when Kreider comes back if we're still in it? Who will he impress?
Fast would be a bottom-6 player (at least for the first season or two) whereas Kreider is a top-6 player already, so one doesn't stop the other from playing.

I think Fast can play in the NHL and contribute more than others. It might be a confidence thing for him: he can do it if he believes he can do it, but not if he gets scared when he hits the ice.

Nash-Stepan-MSL
Kreider-Brass-Zucc
Hagelin-Richards-Fast
Pouliot-Boyle/Moore-Dorsett/Carcillo

Granted Pouliot is more than a 4th liner, but so was Nemchinov in 1994 and it was the depth he provided on the 4th line that was key to winning the Cup.

If Fast proves he can stick, the team would have tremendous depth and speed. We wouldn't be a big team like Da Bears and the Flyers, but we could compete with them by being faster (and having a better goalie).

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 12:58 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Fast likely won't play with Lindberg in the NHL. They don't play together in the AHL.

Everyone assumes that Americans Miller and Kristo and Swedes Fast and Lindberg should be together, but Kristo is better with Lindberg and Fast with Miller.

Old
04-08-2014, 01:03 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I am not sure why, whether it's the injury or the youth, but he has been somewhat inconsistent, particularly on offense this season. There are games or even weeks where he's just a beast, then he disappears. The good news is that he still is a good player even when he doesn't score.

Fast would be a bottom-6 player (at least for the first season or two) whereas Kreider is a top-6 player already, so one doesn't stop the other from playing.

I think Fast can play in the NHL and contribute more than others. It might be a confidence thing for him: he can do it if he believes he can do it, but not if he gets scared when he hits the ice.

Nash-Stepan-MSL
Kreider-Brass-Zucc
Hagelin-Richards-Fast
Pouliot-Boyle/Moore-Dorsett/Carcillo

Granted Pouliot is more than a 4th liner, but so was Nemchinov in 1994 and it was the depth he provided on the 4th line that was key to winning the Cup.

If Fast proves he can stick, the team would have tremendous depth and speed. We wouldn't be a big team like Da Bears and the Flyers, but we could compete with them by being faster (and having a better goalie).
Not sure that's the case anymore. Rask is much better this year than Lundqvist. If Lundqvist had the season Rask is having, we wouldn't be sweating these last 3 games just to get the 2 spot in the Metro. Do you really think Fast is good enough to kick Pouliot who has been on our best line to the 4th line? But Moore with Pouliot would make our 4th line amazing. They're already one of the best in the league.

Old
04-08-2014, 02:51 AM
bernmeister

Other than 1 concern, no prob w Fast here now.

I gather if he merely dresses, let alone actually steps on the ice, that is a full year of ELC. That's not good asset management. Sets up the cap controls you, not vice versa.

Unrelated, not happy about the yo-yo job on Miller. too much nitpicking, Let him play, make mistakes, learn.

that should have happened this year to accelerate next year, Instead we got half a season of Pyatt and too much Dorsett

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 02:55 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Not sure Fast is superior to Pouliot, but I would love to see Fast with Hagelin to create a line with speedy wings stretching defenses and creating chances out of nowhere. It may not work (everyone thought Nedved with Kovalev would, but it didnt), but its worth a try.

Pouliot with Moore and either Boyle or a tough guy would be a great fourth line.

Old
04-08-2014, 02:56 AM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post

I gather if he merely dresses, let alone actually steps on the ice, that is a full year of ELC. That's not good asset management. Sets up the cap controls you, not vice versa.

Unrelated, not happy about the yo-yo job on Miller. too much nitpicking, Let him play, make mistakes, learn.

that should have happened this year to accelerate next year, Instead we got half a season of Pyatt and too much Dorsett
Fast's ELC doesn't slide no matter how little he plays for the Rangers. I think he even burned a year off of it in Sweden.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 03:22 AM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Fast's ELC doesn't slide no matter how little he plays for the Rangers. I think he even burned a year off of it in Sweden.
Correct on both accounts, good move, kid deserves a chance. Let's hope he does well, he could be a big help. Next year will already be his last year of his ELC, how time flies.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 07:48 AM
Vitto79

Big chance got this kid. Hopefully he licks up a spot for this yr and next

I let Boyle walk at yrs end

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 07:52 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Fast will be an RFA after next season (summer 2015). What he does this year or next has no bearing on that.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 08:30 AM
eco's bones

Fast doesn't shoot enough. He seems to shoot the puck on net when the %'s are really high. 76 shots on goal in 48 games. He does have 17 goals. That's somewhere around a 22%--shooting percentage.

From the preseason and first several games of the season--he is a very smart player with a rounded game. Very calm with the puck. Not a guy who panics with the puck--someone who is always looking to make the best play.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 08:37 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
They're very different players. Fast is a guy that isn't going to hurt you defensively and brings speed, but in terms of disposition, he couldn't be farther from Callahan.

I like Fast, think he will be a solid 3rd line winger. Upside is similar to Hansen, or a Radek Dvorak. Pretty safe bet to contribute in some fashion in the NHL and chip in some offense.

One grip about him is that he's a little on the soft side eh...
Yeah, I don't see the Dvorak or Hansen comparison. If there is a player in the NHL currently who his game reminds me of it's Loui Eriksson.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 08:44 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Fast doesn't shoot enough. He seems to shoot the puck on net when the %'s are really high. 76 shots on goal in 48 games. He does have 17 goals. That's somewhere around a 22%--shooting percentage.

From the preseason and first several games of the season--he is a very smart player with a rounded game. Very calm with the puck. Not a guy who panics with the puck--someone who is always looking to make the best play.
He has a great feel for the game. I'm not really sure why people are comparing him to Hagelin. He is not that fast as far as straight-line speed. He is not Kreider either. What he is though, is elusive. Like someone like Datsyuk who isn't exactly "fast", he is hard to center up with a check and very slippery down low. I have explained this before in other prospects threads.

Old
04-08-2014, 08:50 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I wouldn't call Fast soft.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Capt McDonut
Tanner Glass=Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
He has a great feel for the game. I'm not really sure why people are comparing him to Hagelin. He is not that fast as far as straight-line speed. He is not Kreider either. What he is though, is elusive. Like someone like Datsyuk who isn't exactly "fast", he is hard to center up with a check and very slippery down low. I have explained this before in other prospects threads.
So ur saying he's a Swedish datsyuk? (Sarcasm) but did u see the video of Drew doughty destroying datsyuk? Looks like he didn't have trouble lineing up tht hit

Capt McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Yeah, I don't see the Dvorak or Hansen comparison. If there is a player in the NHL currently who his game reminds me of it's Loui Eriksson.
got this kid in the Sanguinetti deal/ 5th rounder. So that may turn into an ok pick in the end

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
If he is to be a 70 pt scorer that would be great. Don't think the upside is that high.

I see a solid 15-20 3-zone winger that plays a mistake free game rather than a 25-45 top line or top 6 scorer.

If he was or is better than Hagelin currently he'd have been up for the entire season and have an Olympic silver medal around his neck. Just my perspective of of course. Hype train on HF going full steam.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 10:44 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
If he is to be a 70 pt scorer that would be great. Don't think the upside is that high.

I see a solid 15-20 3-zone winger that plays a mistake free game rather than a 25-45 top line or top 6 scorer.

If he was or is better than Hagelin currently he'd have been up for the entire season and have an Olympic silver medal around his neck. Just my perspective of of course. Hype train on HF going full steam.
Where did I say he is going to be Loui Eriksson? I said he plays like Loui Eriksson moreso than Hagelin.

Where did I say he was better than Hagelin currently?

Old
04-08-2014, 10:46 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

It's hard for young players to break through, our team had few spots available and the older prospect (Kreider) got the one available. Nyquist couldn't break Detroit's lineup for crying out loud.

Old
04-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Why do people always do this: when we are discussing the style of play, someone charges in to say that the player is better or worse. Whether the player is better or worse is IRRELEVANT, we are discussing the style of play.

Do you not see how you are putting your own IQ in doubt by being unable to figure out style vs. quality?

Old
04-08-2014, 11:22 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post

The only players who can have their ELC slide are 18 and 19 year olds. That's it. Their ELCs only slide if they play less than 10 games in the NHL in a given year. Anyone else, it doesn't matter how many games they play or where they play them. A year will burn off their ELC if they are 20 or older when the season starts.

Fast is 22. He signed his ELC at age 20. He burned a year playing in Sweden. He's burning another year this year in the AHL. He has one year remaining.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote